Start by marking “Science Comics: Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield” as Want to Read:

(Science Comics)

In PLAGUES, we get to know the critters behind history's worst diseases. We delve into the biology and mechanisms of infections, diseases, and immunity, and also the incredible effect that technology and medical science have had on humanity's ability to contain and treat disease.

Every volume of Science Comics offers a complete introduction to a particular topic--dinosaurs,
Published August 29th 2017 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Science Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Comics

Start your review of Science Comics: Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield
First Second Books
Aug 29, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
In this volume we get to know the critters behind history's worst diseases. We delve into the biology and mechanisms of infections, diseases, and immunity, and also the incredible effect that technology and medical science have had on humanity's ability to contain and treat disease.
Morgan
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one was kind of gross, but I still liked it because it was informative and the story was interesting. Basically, wash your hands, take care of yourself better, and vaccinate your kids!
OpenBookSociety.com
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: andra

Science Comics
By Falynn Christine Koch
ISBN: 9781626727526
Author’s Website: http://www.falynnk.com/
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Andra

Summary

In PLAGUES, we get to know the critters behind history’s worst diseases. We delve into the biology and mechanisms of infections, diseases, and immunity, and also the incredible effect that technology and medical science have had on humanity’s ability to contain and
Raegynn M.
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: written-a-review
This book was very interesting to read. I am not the type of person who is so much into bacteria and cells, but this book made it fun and I really liked how it pertained to the different plagues they talked about. I would recommend this book to someone who is interested in science and the difference between some types of plagues.
Romaly Butler
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Biology and comics. What more could you want in life. Love
Bill
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield by Falynn Christine Koch is part of the SCIENCE COMICS series, a graphics series of books each of which explores a single scientific topic. In this case, as the title might indicate, its plague, but more broadly it’s an examination of how pathogens (bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoa, parasites) infect and damage the human body, how the body (sometimes with medical help) tries to fight them off, and, to a lesser degree, how such illnesses have affected human ...more
Maximilian Lee
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book because it was very Very VERY informative. It had TONS of information in it. It was about plagues. In this book someone made an AI thing that can simulate anything even yourself! If something happens in the simulation, it happens in your body. A woman was trying to convince plagues to become antibiotics. Along the way the plagues told the woman facts about themselves.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Koch, Falynn Science Comics: Plagues: the Microscopic Battlefield, 122 pages. NON-FICTION/GRAPHIC NOVEL. First Second, 2017. $13.

A female scientist and her ECHO team have created technology that allows them to speak to germs, bacteria, viruses, ect. They created a simulated environment which allows them to learn about the immune system and how the bubonic plague and the Yellow fever plague interact. Together with a T cell and a variety of guests –the reader learns the in’s and out’s of the
Melissa
Science Comics are my new favorite series. This one was as gross as it was informative (even in illustrated form, you might need a strong stomach to get through this one!) It followed the history mostly of bubonic plague and yellow fever, but dabbled in all manner of bacteria, viruses, protozoa and fungi - explaining how they make us sick, how they spread, and how science can contain them. I didn't expect it to be funny but there were many laugh-out-loud moments - like when one poor guy gets all ...more
Paula
While I like the series SCIENCE COMICS I thought "The Microscopic Battlefield" was a little tough to follow. The science was complex enough with so many strains of viruses, bacteria, fungi, and flagella to keep track of, but the authors wanted us to follow the story of the scientists who use simulations to study them. I found the banter between humans and microbes a bit distracting, but learning about Bubonic plagues and Yellow Fever were fascinating. I kept wondering who the intended audience ...more
Dakota Morgan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm a big fan of the Science Comics series, but this entry is undercooked (there's a better, illness-related joke there, but I just can't think of it at the moment). The framing device revolves around a scientist who has recruited anthropomorphized versions of the black plague and yellow fever to be cadets in a disease-fighting force. Shoehorned into a lot of weird conversations between germs and humans are various facts about bacteria, viruses, and other assorted tiny nasties. That part of the ...more
emyrose8
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. First, the illustrations are great, eye-catching and the characters have been developed in an interesting way. However, the text is very science heavy, which is good, except the average reader will likely have a hard time focusing and absorbing what is actually being talked about. There isn't much of a plot for the first half of the book (as far as I could tell), which made it hard for me to get into the book. I did learn some new things though, and it ...more
Jes
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting way to disseminate information about not just how your immune system reacts to germs, but the history and methods in which we used to study germs have evolved. The content was a teeny bit dry for the younger crowd, but alas I am almost 30 so I finished this book in a day. Good, solid info, entertaining and easy to understand.

I recommend this to budding nonfiction nerds, graphic novel enthusiasts who need some help with cell structure, and people who like to learn about
Stacey M
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The set up for this book was very interesting and would be an excellent book for students to read. It really goes into the science of plagues and germs and the different types or microorganisms. It also explores some of the newer science and where we may be going and how humans relationships with disease has and keeps changing. If you have a kid who loves science this series is something you need to look into. I did recieve a copy of this graphic novel from ...more
Eme87
Fantastic graphic novel describing how viruses and bacteria function. Delves both in to the science of plagues and how they spread as well as the history and how vaccines and inoculations were developed to fight them. I enjoyed the process of the scientist talking to the germs to enlist them in helping to fight other diseases as that is what many labs are doing- albeit not in quite the futuristic way they are presenting. Very enjoyable and informative!

(SRA 2018?)
Oracle
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly educational and surprising well written and illustrated. Walking away from this particular book you will come along with a bunch of fun filled facts in relation to bacterium, helpful vaccines, and several detailed looks into the structure of multiple cells. The way the comic is illustrated keeps the reader entertained all while cramming that added bit of knowledge within. Amazing! After reading this one, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. ^__^
Ashley
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to Netgalley for the egalley in exchange for review yada yada yada...

There are two things I love: comics and reading about infectious diseases. Science Comics: Plagues combined both, making me a very happy nerd. Definitely recommend to young people, or anyone, really, looking for a refresher in microbiology.
Ron
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Two plagues (Bubonic and Yellow Fever) are taken into a lab and persuaded to aid humanity in fighting other nasty bacteria, fungi, and viruses. In the course of their discussion, the reader is presented with a wealth of information on plagues, infections, body defenses and the like. An interesting way to introduce multiple scientific concepts to junior high/high school students.
Darcy Roar
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the better volumes in the science comics series. Still fairly dense for younger readers, but the frame story is fun and interesting and the science is great! Possibly too much for a first dive into the material, but an excellent follow up to the very basics.
Jacinta Carter
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Comic books like this make me wish I was a science teacher. But, as someone who was never great at science, it's so much more enjoyable to learn about things like germs and immunity through amazingly illustrated comics.
paula
The first 30 pages, which describe the types of cells involved with the human body’s immune response, are not easy to get through, but persistent readers will be rewarded with all the juicy details any discussion of plagues entail. Buboes! Necrosis! Window screens in Panama!
Travis Lynn
4 stars copyright 2017 genre information theme identity crisis. Favorite part of the book is when the bubonic plague decides to help the scientists. I will use this in my future classroom to discuss different pathogens and the historical significance of the plague.
Ann
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Informative about plagues and how they work, but I would have appreciated more information about exactly how the scientists were planning to turn the viruses and bacteria into helpful versions for humans to use, since that was such a huge part of the framing device of the book.
Toya Taylor
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative book about germs and viruses, and this book has a little history in it about viruses/germs/plagues. Really funny, and great for kids.
Maria
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Definitely for those who already have some background knowledge on this topic.
Engel Dreizehn
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A honest edu-tainment attempt to make the science of plagues understandable for kids.
Ashley Frank
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was interesting. It explains vocabulary that is informative but fun at the same time. I would use it with my kids to teach about your body and what going on when you get sick.
Brandi Rae Fong
Sep 05, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
I didn't love the art, and the story was a bit too convoluted at the beginning. Just not the book for me. I'm finding the Science Comics series to be a bit hit or miss.
Awjtf
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
very interesting!
Seamus
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I promised myself that I wouldn't review graphic novels, but I'm making an exception this time. It was interesting, but there wasn't a very good underlying plot.

• The Okay Witch
  • Sad Animal Babies
  • Boa Constructor: A Branches Book (The Binder of Doom #2)
  • Favorite Medieval Tales
  • Pie in the Sky
  • Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book, #4)
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Illegal
  • Plague!
  • James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Night of the Living Dolls (Haunted, #3)
  • The Princess in Black and the Mysterious Playdate (The Princess in Black #5)
  • Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Malala's Magic Pencil
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Thor: Son of Asgard Book 6: The Trio Triumphant

Science Comics (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Science Comics: Bats: Learning to Fly