Jump to ratings and reviews

The Intuitive Eating Workbook: Ten Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship with Food

Do you use food to comfort yourself during stressful times? The Intuitive Eating Workbook offers a comprehensive, evidence-based program to help you develop a healthy relationship with food, pay attention to cues of hunger and satisfaction, and cultivate a profound connection with your mind and body.

Have you tried fad diet after fad diet, only to gain weight back? Maybe you’ve tried the protein diet only to move on to vegetables only? Raw almonds and coconut water every forty-five minutes instead of big meals? Or perhaps you’ve tried counting calories, but the numbers on the scale still don’t add up. If you are ready to throw in your hat and give up on dieting for good, take heart. You can enjoy food again—you just need to pay attention to your body’s natural hunger cues. Based on the authors’ best-selling book, Intuitive Eating, this workbook can show you how.

The Intuitive Eating Workbook offers a new way of looking at food and mealtime by showing you how to recognize your body’s natural hunger signals. Structured around the ten principles of intuitive eating, the mindful approach in this workbook encourages you to abandon unhealthy weight control behaviors, develop positive body image, and—most importantly—stop feeling distressed around food!

You were born with all the wisdom you need for eating intuitively. This book will help you reconnect with that wisdom and ultimately change your life—one meal at a time.

244 pages, Paperback

First published April 1, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Evelyn Tribole

16 books133 followers
Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD is an award-winning registered dietitian, with a nutrition counseling practice in Newport Beach, California. She has written seven books including the bestsellers Healthy Homestyle Cooking and Intuitive Eating(co-author). Her newest book is the Ultimate Omega-3 Diet.

Evelyn was the nutrition expert for Good Morning America, appearing from 1994-’95 and was a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association for 6 years. She was contributing editor for Shape magazine where her monthly column, Recipe Makeovers, appeared for 11 years.

She is often sought by the media for her nutritional expertise and has appeared on hundreds of interviews, including: CNN, Today Show, MSNBC, Fox News, USA Today, Wall St. Journal and People magazine.

As a speaker, Evelyn is passionate and has been called, "Wonderfully wise and funny", whether providing a keynote or full-day workshop.

Achievements and honors include, receiving the American Dietetic Association’s Award for Excellence in Private Practice. Many national magazines have rated Evelyn as one of the best nutritionists in the country including: Self, Harper’s Bazaar, and Redbook magazine.

Professional memberships include: the Am. Dietetic Assoc., International Society for Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids, the Celiac Disease Foundation, and the Academy for Eating Disorders.

Evelyn qualified for the Olympic Trials in the first ever women’s marathon in 1984. Although she no longer competes, Evelyn runs for fun and is an avid skier and hiker. She also enjoys surfing, kayaking and white water rafting. Evelyn’s favorite food is chocolate, when it can be savored slowly.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (2%)
1 star
6 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews
Profile Image for Anastasia.
227 reviews
November 15, 2018
Not very helpful to me, but that may be because I was reading this as I was reading the book at the same time and the information in this workbook is very redundant. My advice, pick one or the other, don't try to read the book and do this workbook at the same time.
Profile Image for Christopher Lawson.
Author 10 books120 followers
March 30, 2017
Throw Out Diet Books That Offer You False Hope

THE INTUITIVE EATING WORKBOOK re-presents the 10 principles, as discussed in the author’s prior books on this same subject. The difference is, this book is not meant to just present the principles; rather, it is designed to take the reader into practical action. So, this book is much more of a practical, “hands-on” tutorial with tons of surveys, questions and worksheets.

There is a LOT to consider in this book. It will not be a quick read—especially if the principles are new to you. For readers already familiar with the concepts, I think you can just skim the principles, and go right to the worksheets. Each chapter covers one principle; here are the 10 principles:

Principle One Reject the Diet Mentality
Principle Six Discover the Satisfaction Factor
Principle Seven Cope with Your Feelings without Using Food
Principle Eight Respect Your Body
Principle Nine Exercise: Feel the Difference 1
Principle Ten Honor Your Health.

Here’s the key theme of the book: Intuitive Eating means we become more aware, or “attuned” to the message of your body. “It is an inner journey of discovery that puts you front and center; you are the expert of your own body.” That is, you rely more on your own natural sensations, and less of outside advice or guidance. We also strive to avoid situations and behaviors which distract us from correctly receiving the natural messages from our body. For example, the sensation of hunger is a natural sensation, which should not be dis-regarded.

Evelyn and Elyse emphasizes multiple times that we are not engaging in a weight loss program. The ideas is to normalize your relationship with eating—not focus on weight: “If you focus on weight loss, that preoccupation will interfere with your ability to make choices based on your intuitive signals, and it will place focus on appearance rather than inner wisdom.”

The authors note several problems with using our weight as a key metric. In fact, body mass is a poor indicator of health: “There is also a profound body of research— based on millions of people, cumulatively— that shows that weight, especially the body mass index, is not a good indicator of health.” The authors cites scientific studies backing up this claim. Surprisingly, weight loss via diets actually correlates with WORSE health. “Many people are aware that dieting doesn’t work in the long run, but most are surprised to learn that dieting actually increases your risk for gaining even more weight.”

DON’T MISS THIS: Chapter 2 contains a STUNNING section—if you read nothing else, read “Self-Care and Attunement Disrupters.” This section helps you figure out how you are caring for yourself. For example, in the “Self-Care Assessment Physical,” one ponders how much sleep you are getting: “Do I get enough sleep to feel rested and restored when I wake up.” What about regular medical and dental checkups? Do you allow yourself to take time off when ill?

The above ideas might sound trite, but I think the authors are right on target. I really appreciated the encouraging suggestions in this chapter. Do you “identify comforting activities,” “make time to play” and “find things that make me laugh?”

After you complete the “Self-Care Assessment,” you see if there is a pattern in your behavior, and brainstorm strategies to improve your self-care. Here are some ideas for improving self-care: “I will work on consistently getting enough sleep by getting to bed, with lights out, by ten thirty.” On the emotional side, the authors suggest one could “spend thirty minutes relaxing when I get home from work.” Or maybe, “Decline new volunteer projects until I finish my current commitment.” On the spiritual side, one might have a goal of meditating for a few minutes.

So all in all, I found THE INTUITIVE EATING WORKBOOK to be a useful guide to the 10 principles, and a terrific source of questions and worksheets to guide me through the process. The questions are well-designed and clear.

There is a lot to ponder in this book, and the ideas are no trivial. I think most readers will need to spend quite a bit of time thinking through the concepts and taking the assessments. I would have liked to see “bullet points” at the front of back of each chapter giving the main points. It would have made my read easier.

The appendix contains an interesting set of resource material and addresses. For example, one could learn how to become a “Certified Intuitive Eating Counselor.” Honestly, I had no idea there was such a person. Another appendix contains detailed references supporting the author’s scientific claims.

Advance Review Copy courtesy of the publisher.
3 reviews
March 28, 2017
What a lovely book. I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and was unsure on what to expect. The book was quite intriguing, truly a workbook. It aids in the realization of various aspects of relationships that you may have with food. I enjoyed the interactive sections of the book, which composed a great deal of it, but paired with the sections giving facts on the responses you had, the chapters really seemed to flow. I highly reccommend this book to anyone working towards developing or enhancing their relationship with food.
Profile Image for Maide Karzaoğlu.
149 reviews14 followers
April 8, 2021
Ailemden ayrıldıktan, farklı bir şehire taşındıktan sonra yeme düzenimle ilgili her şeyim değişti. Kimi zaman çok yedim kilo almadım, kimi zaman kilo aldım ciddi sorun yaşadığımı düşündüğüm dönemler oldu. Tüm bunlar olurken bana öğretilen şeyi yapmak tek çözüm yolu gibi göründü, en iyi bildiğim şey; davranışlarımın, tüm yeme ve açlık davranışımın nedenlerini irdelemek. %100 psikolog meslek hastalığı...

Bu enteresan bir yol haline geldi: Yemek ile ilgili öyle bir dünyaya girdim ki bir dönem hiç yemeyip, bilinçli olarak değil tamamen dönemsel olarak, yeme ile ilişkim kesildi kendimi yemek yapma videolarında buldum. Yemek tarifi kitaplarında. Bütün gün Baking videoları seyrettiğim, sprinkle pastaları dekore eden pastacıları görünce yemişim gibi bir tatmin aldığım ve artık gerçek yemek yemeye gerek duymadığım bir dönem... Ürkütücü geliyor, ama "okuduğum" kadarıyla, beyin zaten ikisine de aynı tepkiyi veriyordu: O halde yiyip kilo almama gerek yoktu. Yemekle uğraşsam yeterdi. Bunun dışında çiğneme ile ilgili de okuyordum: Beynim "çıtır" şeylere karşı dayanıksızdı: Çıtır leblebi yediğimde kendimi durduramıyordum mesela, ya da taze salatalık, havuç, "chrispy" olan her şey. Bunun da evrimsel psikolojik sebepleri vardı...

Ve kilo verdim. Gerçekten kısa bir sürede tam 10 kilo verdim. Beynim sürekli bir yeme yanılsaması içerisindeydi, toplantılarda arkada sesi kısık bir şekilde Youtube'da Icing Artist seyrediyordum...

Daha çok okudum, daha çok... Bir noktada ailem evdeki yemek kitaplarını görünce "bu kız pastane açacak en sonunda" demeye başladı. Yurtdışına gittiğimde gidilecek bakery listeleri yapıyordum. Bir şehirde en iyi bagel, en iyi kruvasan nerede yenir; bir kruvasanı en iyi yapan şey nedir bunu araştırıyordum. Ama seyrettiğim tariflerin, okuduğum tariflerin binde birini bile yapmıyordum. Yemek yapmayı seviyordum ama çok yemiyordum, yemeyince gerek de kalmıyordu. Ne garip değil mi? Uçtan uça nasıl bozulmuş bir algı. Dışarıdan bakınca beni dünyanın en sağlıklı insanı sanabilirsiniz: Hiçbir yeme bozukluğum yok, ne anoreksiam var ne yediğimi çıkartmaya çalışıyorum. Ama yemek algım bitik durumda. Sürekli atıştırıyorum gibi hissediyorum, düzgün bir yemek yediğimde (öğün olarak) o kadar doyuyorum ki bir şeyler garipmiş gibi geliyor. Öğünlerimin ne kadar olması gerektiğini unuttum, ne kadar yemenin normal olduğunu bilememeye başladım. Diyetisyenlerin karmaşıklığı, beslenme listeleri bu algımı daha da bozdu. Aile evine gittiğimde inanılmaz rahatladım çünkü bana çok yakın insanların ne kadar yediğini görüyor ve kendimi onlara göre ayarlayabiliyordum, az ya da çok yemenin bir ölçütü vardı. Psikolog ben, normal ben'e sürekli "obezitenin en temel risk faktörü yalnız yemek yemektir" diyordu da ben ne obezdim, ne aşırı zayıftım. Bambaşka bir şeydim ben...

Bu kitabı aldığım gün, daha doğrusu kitabın eve geldiği gün abim ve annem evdeydi. Kargoyu alan abim kitabı çıkardı ve çok şaşırdı, neden böyle bir şey okuyordum? Ne gerek vardı? Neden sürekli kendimi kurcalıyordum? Kendimde bir hastalık mı arıyordum? "Aç olunca yiyeceksin, ne sezgisel yemesi!" diyordu. Abime, "abi senin için kolay bu ama benim için değil!" diyordum. Abimin hiçbir yeme problemi yoktu, olmamıştı. Aç olunca çoook yiyordu bana göre ama tok olunca en sevdiği pastayı bile yemezdi. Sonra kitaba küstüm ve kenara fırlattım, taaa ki dün elime alıp gözden geçirmeye başlayıncaya kadar.

Kitabı henüz bitirmedim, aslına bakarsanız 87. sayfasındayım. Kitap güzel şeylerden bahsediyor ama bir cümle okudum, içim gitti: "Nasıl besleneceğini unutan o kadar çok insan var ki" diyor. Nasıl besleneceğimizi gerçekten unuttuk. Nasıl acıktığımızı, nasıl doyduğumuzu unuttuk, kalori hesabından ve yediğimiz her şeyin hesabını yapmaktan bambaşka, bambaşka bir hale geldik biz...

Tüm bunların çözümü olması adına, beynimi resetlemesini umduğum bir kitap oldu bu. Keşke bildiğim her şeyi unutsam, aile evindeyken tüm öğünlerimi annemin ayarladığı zamana geri dönsem...
7 reviews
September 19, 2022
This workbook is quite effective as a companion for you while you receive therapy or medical guidance from a qualified healthcare professional like a doctor. It provides an excellent guide to self-compassion, self-love and working to end cycles of emotional eating, ED and achieving the “thin ideal.” It helps you to focus more on making sure your body receives the nutrients and fuel it needs everyday by learning to listen to body cues and needs through CBT, mindfulness, and other strategies.
I would have given this text a higher rating if it included a longer section on the nutritional needs and requirements of the body than it did in the final chapter.

However, I did recommend this text as a useful tool in your journey for a healthier relationship with food and your body!
1 review1 follower
July 7, 2017
An excellent companion to the Intuitive Eating book

I recommend this work book to anyone who has any kind of disordered eating! This is the way to have your cake and eat it too! (Pun intended caringly!) These authors are both Registered Nutritionists and awesome as well! Read their bios!
Their book and workbook have helped me chuck out all negative comments and ignore the rubbish I hear from social media and commercial diets.
I lift weights and love cardio and I am now in the best physical condition of my life! For anyone who is struggling with food and is now thinking of going on a diet please get this workbook the Intuitive Eating book and consult with a nutritionist! It costs a lot less than commercial diets!
I love this workbook and I am so grateful to these authors as well as my own intuitive eating nutritionist for bringing t this wonderful approach to food!

Profile Image for Camila.
57 reviews2 followers
June 24, 2018
If you read Intuitive Eating and feel that those concepts are helpful to you, I highly recommend you go ahead and get this workbook. Just don't do what I did and rush through some chapters because you were eager to get to certain principles. Not a good idea.
I'm grateful to the authors for putting this workbook together. This is really the tool that I needed, and it has helped me improve in so many areas. Truly thankful.
Profile Image for Ruth.
14 reviews2 followers
September 8, 2017
Life changing. I have purchased and started going through the workbook. As a brand new health coach, I plan on becoming certified in intuitive eating - that's how important this is.
Profile Image for Tamara Milanovic.
104 reviews
July 24, 2022
An excellent (work)book on Intuitive Eating that includes principles and practices that will help you heal your relationship with food, honor your hunger and fullness levels, explore connection between emotional well-being, self-care, self-compassion and eating habbits. There are so many layers to our relationship with food and eating, and this book helps you discover them in a new light that tells you a completely different story than those stories told by dieting culture. Worth exploring!
Profile Image for Roxi.
26 reviews18 followers
February 5, 2021
Especially helpful working with an Intuitive Eating/HAES nutritionist to guide you through each chapter and discuss the feelings you may have throughout the process. I struggled with BED and this has been an incredible workbook to pair with the book itself. Highly recommend to anyone wanting a better relationship with food and/or body image.
Profile Image for Kristen.
2,072 reviews26 followers
April 11, 2022
i dnf'd the intuitive eating book years ago but a dietitian i'm seeing told me i should give this a go because of a few issues i mentioned. i do think the overall idea is good and i agree with the majority of it, just don't think it suits absolutely everyone.
14 reviews1 follower
April 6, 2017
Love this workbook. It helps you explore the reasons you eat and leads to a healthier relationship with food.
Profile Image for Seda Işik.
59 reviews3 followers
March 20, 2021
Kitap bitti ama üzerinde çalışılacak birçok prensip ve yapılacak alıştırmalar var. Bir süre daha elimin altında olacak. Bana göre alanında en iyisi ⭐️
Profile Image for Shelby York.
Author 1 book8 followers
November 23, 2020
This workbook completely changed my perspective on not only my own eating habits and beliefs, but societies. Having recovered from an eating disorder a couple years ago, I found this workbook to be incredibly helpful when striving to unwind myself from the crap society has been feeding me about diets, body image, and when we should and shouldn't eat. I'm usually wary about books like these, in fear of purchasing a book full of general information anyone can find on the internet, but it genuinely helped me shift my perspective and attitude toward food with thoughtful journal prompts and real-life examples/challenges.
Profile Image for Belén.
79 reviews33 followers
December 13, 2016
I requested it from netgalley today.
This book aims to make you rethink your relationship with food. It is actually very useful. It is a book with a lot of questions and exercises about eating, dieting and every other food-related aspects.
Profile Image for Cali Bakker.
70 reviews1 follower
June 5, 2020
It contains good summaries and overviews from the Intuitive Eating book by the same authors. The workbook has excellent, thought provoking questions to help you through the intuitive eating process.
Profile Image for Chelsea Harris.
51 reviews
September 8, 2020
If you are planning on reading Intuitive Eating, definitely get the workbook as well! I've gotten my life, health, and food freedom back thanks to the work I did in this book. Highly recommend!
Profile Image for Kat.
47 reviews
February 20, 2021
As a workbook, The Intuitive Eating book is not a one-and-done type of book. It is a book that you do chapter by chapter, and sometimes even only a piece of a chapter at a time.

As a read, there is a variety of information presented in an easy-to-digest fashion and gentle tone to help readers understand what Intuitive Eating is and how to bring that practice to their life. It is a journey of breaking the diet mentality that most of us suffer from, whether we know it or not. The exercises in the book are thoughtfully presented and usually very simple. Many of them require more brainpower than physical power. The Intuitive Eating Workbook will challenge many of the views you have and show you how they may affect your life in a negative fashion.

For some, there are parts of this book that you may not need, but it's encouraged to skim through them anyway.

For others, such as those of us with eating disorders, it may be better to use this book at the same time as working with a nutritionist who specializes in eating disorders or a therapist. Some of the subjects brought up may cause flares, or concerns and sliding back into bad habits. If you have an eating disorder, please take your time with this book and do stop if it is becoming too much or you find yourself worsening instead of getting better.

Overall, I found The Intuitive Eating workbook interesting and a way to pinpoint some things I never thought of before in affecting the way I eat and look at food. It is worth coming back to and doing exercises over again every so often as I try to implement more of that style in my life.
Profile Image for Heather.
1,039 reviews2 followers
May 15, 2017
This was such an applicable workbook to go with their book Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works, which I had picked up used a few months ago. Overall, I enjoy the way they portray dieting, eating well, and weight loss in this book and I agree with the principles. I am hoping that I can break some emotional eating and yo-yoing by continuing to refer to this workbook, and I think I will pick it up in print to make that a little bit easier to follow along with.
Profile Image for CraftyBirdies.
846 reviews21 followers
August 22, 2021
This is a helpful companion to the intuitive eating book by Tribole and Resch to encourage thoughtful reflection on the elements and how they apply to me. I did skip some sections that were a little too triggering for me based on my past relationship with eating and exercise, but that’s no problem. I also didn’t work this in order because I worked with a counselor, and she guided the order. I definitely recommend this if you’re reading the book to help with understanding how to make progress and where specific issues might be.
Profile Image for Christine Kayser.
445 reviews14 followers
March 12, 2022
Working through the workbook - in conjunction with reading the original book and working with a registered dietician / nutritionist - has been nothing short of life-changing. As a woman surrounded by diet culture, I had no idea how deep it had gotten into my brain, and how eating patterns forged from diet culture have been ruining my health. Finding ways to abandon that and focus on true health and listening to my body has been an incredible process. Highly recommend. And happy to refer you to the dietician I worked with - she's anti-diet and versed in HAES and Intuitive Eating.
Profile Image for Vincci.
25 reviews1 follower
March 28, 2018
This workbook does a wonderful job reviewing the 10 principles of intuitive eating, and provides practical exercises and prompts for each. While reading Intuitive Eating is helpful, this book stands alone. Working through it, I think not every exercise will resonate with everyone, and at times I felt there was more imperative language than I was comfortable with. Still, a great resource for those looking to heal their relationship with food.
Profile Image for Elaine.
456 reviews45 followers
September 12, 2021
This is an excellent workbook. I used it instead of reading the main book and feel like I've learned much of what I need to apply these principles. The workbook is very detailed and thought-provoking. Intuitive eating is hard though! It's hard to break thinking patterns that have been formed over a lifetime. I highly recommend this workbook if you like workbooks and want to learn how to eat intuitively.
Profile Image for Katie.
114 reviews9 followers
Read
September 27, 2022
I worked through this workbook slowly and with a registered dietician. I think I would have gotten less out of it if I had done it on my own to be perfectly honest. It's hard to accurately assess your own eating habbits when you have a history of disordered eating. Its also not uncommon to turn the ideas of intuitive eating into a diet because so many of us are so disconnected from our relationship to food, hunger, etc.
Profile Image for Jill Frederickson.
194 reviews1 follower
July 23, 2020
This workbook breaks up the guidelines for becoming an intuitive eater into very doable lessons. It includes lots of reflection and applied personal experiments to reinforce the concepts and give the reader practice in eating with a new attitude. Helpful suggestions abound and support behavior change with actions to incorporate in daily life.
Profile Image for Dana-Iulia.
21 reviews
August 16, 2020
If I could rate more than five stars, I would.
This is the type of message we need in the today's world: a compassionate, calm, reassuring stance on food, one that normalizes the experience of eating from multiple points of view.
I'm sure I will be returning to this book and to the practices taught here for years to come.
Profile Image for Stacie Sonnakolb.
133 reviews6 followers
February 21, 2021
Highly recommend! This workbook is full of information and activities for you to go through to build a healthy relationship with food. I will continue to reread this book and do the activities to love my body and build a better relationship with food. I want to be free of diet culture and be healthy mind body and spirit.
Profile Image for Jessietaylortanner.
208 reviews10 followers
February 4, 2018
LOVE the book on which this workbook is based, but I personally found this unnecessary. I took copious notes in the original book, creating many insights rendering this workbook largely unnecessary. I can see how it could be useful though.
Profile Image for Catherine.
143 reviews4 followers
August 23, 2018
Good book. For me the info that felt right wasn’t until after the fifth chapter. Too much info that was frivolous for me. Read the library copy with the thought that if it was really good I would buy a copy. Library copy was enough.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.