Start by marking “Being Aware of Being Aware” as Want to Read:
Being Aware of Being Aware

Being Aware of Being Aware

Everybody is aware, all seven billion of us. We are aware of thoughts, feelings, sensations, and perceptions. All people share the experience of being aware, but relatively few people are aware that they are aware. Most people’s lives consist of a flow of thoughts, images, ideas, feelings, sensations, sights, sounds, and so on. Very few people ask, “What is it that knows t ...more
Published October 16th 2017 by Sahaja (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Being Aware of Being Aware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Aware of Being Aware

Start your review of Being Aware of Being Aware
Tristan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great collection of teachings on non-duality. Rather than reiterate the same old metaphors about the emptiness of experience (mirrors, anyone?), Spira points out the selfless, intrinsically aware nature of consciousness with clarity, insight, and novel metaphors.

That said, I have some minor qualms. First, Spira often essentializes awareness, claiming that it is ever-present and pervades all existence. Perhaps when I'm more enlightened I'll notice that awareness suffuses even deep sle
Blackdogsworld
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
หนังสือเลมนีนำเสนอมุมมองอันเรียบงายเกียวกับการภาวนาทีไปพนจากคำสอนศาสนาและพิธีกรรม ในความเรียบงายนีเอง เราจะไดเหนความเชือมโยงของแกนคำสอนของศาสนาตางๆ เกียวกับการภาวนา ซึงทำใหผมรูสึกวาสิงทีเปนความจริงยอมเปนความจริง ไมวาเราจะเรียกมันวาอะไร ในหนังสือเลมนี การภาวนาไมใชสิงทีเราทำ แตคือสิงทีเราเปน การตระหนักรูไมใชสภาวะพิเศษทีตองอาศัยความพยายามในการบรรลุถึง แตการตระหนักรูมีอยูแลวในตัวเราทุกคน เพียงหวนกลับไปตระหนักถึงมัน ...more
Johanna Hilla
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Awareness is aware of awareness."

Some books arrive in one's life through very special paths. This book was one of those.

One day my hand waved on its own at a stranger in the library. The stranger turned out to be a familiar face from years back, and some days later he gave me this book to read, because "he had a feeling I should read it."

The visual appearance of the book is beautiful. Amazing simplicity of appearance; simple, pleasant feeling material of the cover with
Elly Sands
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I am sorry about is this was not my book and I couldn't underline passages that caught my breath. I will need a copy of my own. This is an excellent book on the subject of awareness. Yes, there is repetition in it and some mind twisters but but I personally enjoy that. Often times a book comes along that you need at the precise moment and this was timely. I always seem to be attracted to books on "non-duality". They make me dive deep into the nature of reality which is a mind bogg ...more
Dean
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read by a very clear author who has the direct experience of what he is talking about. Mainly deals with the idea of awareness or pure consciousness as per the meaning of nondual Vendanta and Eastern mysticism.
This is a small and compact book, but lends itself to being read again and again for deeper insight. I recommend this to anyone interested in the nondual teachings minus any historical background in Eastern teachings, or prerequisite understanding.
Laszlo Szerdahelyi
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a real nifty and rewarding read, I think there is a very beautiful simplicity through which Spira manages to get his message through, a message that is all the more relevant in an age of objective stimulation reaching hyper speed levels.

Using Vedantic, Shaivistic, Christian and Sufi traditions and quoting authors such as Rumi, Spira traces the essence of our existence and original and purest source of happiness and peace back to the simple, yet tremendously wealthy reservoir
John J
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Closer than Close

Rupert Spira quoted his teacher as saying the truth has to be reformulated by every generation. In my opinion, Spira has done a very good job of reformulation.

Spira presents an ancient truth in modern language that anyone can understand. He reveals that realizing our true nature -- pure awareness -- doesn't involve taking a spiritual journey, because our true nature is already at hand. He uses the metaphor of a movie projected onto a screen. There is no separatio
Igor Stojanov
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It contains 8 short essays on the nature of awareness. Here is a short poem to review the book:

Those who see awareness, don't need it. Those who need it most, can't see it.
Those who want awareness, can't grasp it. Those who can grasp it, can't give it.
Those who live in the illusion of awareness, are unaware of reality.
Those who live in awareness, stand in awe to the reality of its illusion.

Some of the best excerpts from the book:
-Thus, to know itse
Lance Willett
Spira is a bit more compelling in audio form, yet this book expands on his core message of our true nature.

Peace and happiness are not, as such, objective experiences that the mind has from time to time; they are the very nature of the mind itself.

Just as the clouds are the veiling of the blue sky, so unhappiness is the veiling of happiness. ...We cannot know happiness as an objective experience; we can only be it. We cannot be unhappy; we can only know unhappiness as an objective experience.

The/>Just/>Peace
Gabriel Gheorghiu
Earlier today I finished Watts' 'Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are' which is a good place to learn about spirituality if you are a skeptic.

However

While not as 'grounded' in reality as Watts, Spira's 'Being Aware of Being Aware' successfully attempts to put the whole thing into simple words. While using a different approach (one which I absolutely love) he hits the sweet spot and is the best use of words to describe a wordless concept that I've read so far. All of it under 100 pages.
Dusica
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Indeed - “This is the age of the Direct Path.”
Am I aware?
What is it that knows or is aware of my experience?
Where do thoughts come from?
What is the nature of the knowing with which all knowledge and experience are known?
Who am I?
What am I?
“Although meditation may seem at first to be an activity that the mind undertakes in order to achieve some new state or experience, it is later understood to be the very nature or essence of the mind itself. Meditat
shailesh
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Advaita at its best.

This is the best Ramana or Nisgradatta could be explained in english language. The 'Direct Approach ' simply means directly residing in the' I Am' . The' I Am' is revealed in between the minds activites. Reside there as often as possible , exploring it. And Don't bother about the results, because as Ramanamaharshi said... everything falls in place automatically from there on. Thanks Mr. Spira....This book is going to last forever , as the world reqiures this approach more
Kimberly Owen
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rupert Spira at his finest

Being Aware of Being Aware explains non-duality perfectly, as only Rupert Spira can. Having watched him speak many times online, I read this with his voice in mind. The layout, which allows for reflection, is exactly what you need as a reader. Highly recommend this book for long-time Rupert Spira fans, and also anyone who is interested in or searching for peace and happiness
Allen Wilson
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read! This book is relatively short, very clear and direct, as is characteristic of Rupert Spira. I've watched numerous videos by him on this topic which are really good, but this book - awesome! If his message and style of teaching resonate with you, then I highly recommend this book. You won't be disappointed.
Peter
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully concise and illuminating overview

The essence of nondualist teaching presented with great clarity and warmth. The analogies are memorable and instructive. Undoubtedly a spiritual classic.
Carina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personally I feel I already understood the insights of this book. I feel perhaps there may have been some things I didn't fully understand so I can definitely see myself returning to this book in the future if I'm inquiring of any new wisdom.
Carolina
Jun 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very repetitive ... it seems that the author wants to harp on the same point ad infinitum - awareness. He also makes analogies and quotes scripture in ways that are simply not accurate, again, only to harp and/or find confirmation for his point of view.
Sherry
Wow. There are not enough stars to properly convey how much I loved this book. It is the best book I’ve read on the experience and practice of meditation, and I’ve read a few. Highly recommended for those wanting to understand the essence of meditation.
Matheus
The content here is outstanding, mindblowing.
Although the author uses very simple language and metaphors, there are a few times in which one may be confused, not for the lack of understanding, but for the complexity of the matter.
Steve
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Small, but packs a wallop. Game changer.
Nidhi
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its meditative and superb
Ken Egler
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a profound little book. The author uses metaphors to help the reader grasp difficult ideas wonderfully. I recommend to all.
Mark Austin
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the simplest approaches to spirituality; be aware of what is aware of everything. That is it.

The book says the same thing using various metaphors, analogies, and quotations from saints and mystics, but it all comes back to that focus on all that we really can know for sure: something is experiencing this moment.

For me, focusing on what it is that is aware of whatever is going on has become my regular daily practice, the simply reminder of how little I really can be
Tiffany
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am vaguely aware (there's that bloody word again) of the fringes of what he is writing about. It's like having something on the tip of your tongue. My understanding of these concepts is on the tip of my brain. For me, I think I would understand much better to hear these words or to see and hear him speak. On the page, the words "aware" and "awareness" are repeated so often that my eyes start to blur and I cannot untangle the message from the repetition.
Christopher Sanderson
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A likeable mind-twister of a book. Rupert Spira both keeps it simple and at the same time extremely complex and thought-provoking. I couldn't help but like the calmness of this book.
Michael Douglas
rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Be As You Are
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • I Am
  • If Truth Be Told: A Monk's Memoir
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • The Way of Liberation
  • Conscious
  • Just Breathe: Mastering Breathwork for Success in Life, Love, Business, and Beyond
  • Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • Queer Eye: Love Yourself. Love Your Life.
  • Stillness Speaks
  • Shift Into Freedom: The Science and Practice of Openhearted Awareness
  • The Recognition Sutras: Illuminating a 1,000-Year-Old Spiritual Masterpiece
  • Awakening to the Dream: The Gift of Lucid Living
From an early age Rupert Spira was deeply interested in the nature of reality. At the age of seventeen he learnt to meditate, and began a twenty-year period of study and practice in the classical Advaita Vedanta tradition under the guidance of Dr. Francis Roles and Shantananda Saraswati, the Shankaracharya of the north of India. During this time he immersed himself in the teachings of P. D. Ouspen ...more
“It is the self-aware screen of awareness, upon which the drama of experience is playing and out of which it is made, that becomes so intimately involved with the objective content of its experience that it seems to lose itself in it and, as a result, overlooks or forgets its own presence, just as a dreamer’s mind loses itself in its own dream at night.” 0 likes
“a mind that is accustomed to repeatedly dissolving in its source or essence becomes progressively saturated with its inherent peace. When such a mind rises again from the ocean of awareness, its activity makes that peace available to humanity.

Such a mind may also be inspired by knowledge that is not simply a continuation of the past but comes directly form its unconditioned essence. This inspiration brings creativity and new possibilities into whatever sphere of knowledge or activity in which that mind operates.”
0 likes