Start by marking “The Curious Charms Of Arthur Pepper” as Want to Read:
The Curious Charms Of Arthur Pepper

The Curious Charms Of Arthur Pepper

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  28,100 ratings  ·  4,586 reviews
In this poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure

Sixty-nine-year-old Arthur Pepper lives a simple life. He gets out of bed at precisely 7:30 a.m., just as he did when his wife, Miriam, was alive. He dresses in the same gray slacks and mustard sweater vest, waters his fern, Frederica, and heads out to his garden.

But on the one-ye
Published September 22nd 2016 by MIRA (first published January 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Curious Charms Of Arthur Pepper, please sign up.
Phaedra Patrick Some, in that it's a story set in England about an elderly man setting off on a journey. But the story is different, as bereaved Arthur searches for…moreSome, in that it's a story set in England about an elderly man setting off on a journey. But the story is different, as bereaved Arthur searches for the stories behind the charms on his late wife's bracelet. In doing so he discovers she led a secret life before they met, and he also learns to live and embrace life again.

I think if you enjoyed Harold Fry, Disney's UP and a Man Called Ove, then you'd like this too.
(less)

·  28,100 ratings  ·  4,586 reviews

Phaedra Patrick
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I loved writing this and I hope you love reading it too. It's a lot about real life, and I'm influenced by fables too. Remember when you used to sit on your parents' knees for story time. You never questioned which bits were true or not. You just enjoyed them. So, thats what I did for Arthur - I wrote his story straight from the heart and gave him a poignant, fun and adventurous journey. Happy reading!

If you enjoy this book, you'll probably like my second book Rise and Shine, Benedict Stone (kn
Linda
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love small books--happy books--easy-to-read, relaxing books. "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper" was all of these things. Actually, it was like going on a vacation with good friends and coming home well-rested and contented.

This is the book that you choose, when you get stuck in the same genre or nothing strikes you as interesting. It's for everyone at any time. It's a little treasure that was a joy to experience!

It may be Phaedra Patrick's first novel, but I'm hoping it won't be her last.
Elyse Walters
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming!!!

Many modern charms each have inspirational meaning. Charm jewelry make lovely gifts with added meeting to cherish. Author Phaedra Patrick gave us her gift with this charming- inspirational- book - literally and figuratively!

A charming story .....
.....about a charming man named Arthur
.....about a ‘charm bracelet’ ( I HAD NO IDEA - I had not read the reviews), that Arthur finds which belonged to his deceased wife Miriam.
.....about the journey Author takes — new discoveries about Miria
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
How could a charm bracelet stir up so many emotions and curiosity?

After Arthur's wife passed away and he was cleaning out her things, his discovery of a hidden charm bracelet had him curious about what each charm meant. He also wanted to know why he never saw Miriam wearing it and why she had it hidden in the toe of a boot.

This charm bracelet pulled him out of his hermit slump and onto adventures he never dreamed of as he traced where each charm came from and what their meaning was to Miriam. He
Mo
This novel was a stinker… and there was nothing “charming” about it.

When I first started reading it I was worried that it would be a clone of “A Man Called Ove”. Well, that was one thing I didn’t have to worry about. Arthur was no Ove… and I don’t mean that as a compliment. Arthur was a world class ditherer, worrywart and second-guesser. He was an insecure little man who felt threatened at the thought that his wife might actually have had a life before she met him. I found him to be completely a
Noeleen
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick

This endearing story starts on the first anniversary of the death of Miriam Pepper, Arthur’s wife. Aged sixty-nine, married for forty years and still mourning the death of his beloved Miriam, Arthur discovers a mysterious charm bracelet when he finally has the courage to go through Miriam’s belongings. The discovery of the bracelet sets Arthur, not only o
Susan Johnson
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most delightful and heart warming novel that I have read in a long time. I think it would be impossible to put this book down and not be in a happy mood and a little in love with Arthur Pepper. It reminds me of "Britt-Marie Was Here" or really any of Fredrik Backman's works. It is about a semi-elderly person who comes to a crossroads in their life and must decide how to live their remaining time.

On the first anniversary of Miriam's, his beloved wife of 40 years, death, Arthur
Steph
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 60-year-old dad died very suddenly of a brain aneurysm almost two months ago. I've lost one of my best friends and my very favorite book buddy. We would read the same books and go meet authors together; our latest book obsession was Fredrick Backman's stories. We even went to meet him a few months ago. My dad got a good selfie with him, as he often did with authors. :)

I bought The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper for my dad for Christmas because I had heard that it was a lot like A Man called
Clif Hostetler
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
This is a charming feel good sort of novel about a sixty-nine year old English widower who after a year of isolation from the world and being closed up inside his home has decided to go through his deceased wife's clothes in preparation for donating them to charity. In doing so he comes across a charm bracelet that he doesn't recall having seen before. There is a name and telephone number with it that he decides to check into. From this contact he learns about additional information that leads t ...more
B.A. Paris
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story of Arthur Pepper! He’s so wonderfully endearing that you can’t help fall in love with him as he travels around the country trying to solve the mystery behind the charm bracelet. Beautifully written, funny and moving, this is one of those books that you will always remember.
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
To read more of my reviews, please visit Lit. Wit. Wine & Dine.

Arthur Pepper misses his wife. It has been a year since she passed away. Miriam and Arthur were married for forty happy, peaceful, uneventful years. It's not until Arthur steels himself to the task of sorting her things that he discovers a charm bracelet he'd never seen before. A telephone call to a number on one of the charms prompts Arthur to begin a journey in search of the truth of his wife's past prior to their meeting. Alon
Erica
This was ok.
I was hoping for more Harold Fry and less Pandora's Box. I usually find great comfort and enjoyment with British domestic fiction and had expected the same from this but was disappointed.

The premise is delightful: Arthur Pepper's wife, Miriam, died a year ago and he's been grieving ever since. When a friendly neighbor convinces him to stop stagnating, Arthur decides it's time to clean out his wife's closet and in doing so, he finds a gold charm bracelet he doesn't remember seeing bef
Pamela

Absolutely delightful!!!
I ***** LOVE ***** this charming and adventurous, witty and wise, life/love affirming book!!!

"He was experiencing emotions he didn't know existed. He had begun to discover people and animals that excited him. He wasn't ready to rot away in his armchair, mourning his wife and waiting for his children to call, and filling his days with plant-watering and TV."

A fabulous sort of story that makes life a little more bright and beautiful. A tale to savor, ripe with imaginati
Robin
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a "feel-good" story
I’m predicting this will be one of my favorite novels of 2016.

Exactly a year after the death of his beloved wife, Miariam, 69-year-old Arthur Pepper is cleaning out Miriam's closet when he finds an expensive charm bracelet he didn’t know she owned, and each charm seems to represent a part of Miriam's pre-married life. After the shock wears off, Arthur steps out of his grief-stricken comfort zone of staid routine to discover what Miriam was hiding in her past. What follows is a series of adventur
Britany
Arthur Pepper is struggling with his wife's death, learning how to live alone when he discovers a charm bracelet in an old boot. He realizes it was a part of his wife's life that he never knew about. He sets out to discover where the charms came from and more about his wife's past.

I enjoyed this journey, but struggled to really love it. Maybe it's because I've read too many of these types of books. Old man is lonely and finds out stuff about his life or the life of the dead spouse. I found some
♡ Kim ♡
Feb 03, 2016 marked it as own-will-read-soon  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Just received notification that I won this in a giveaway from The Reading Room! :)
Joe Krakovsky
In my opinion, this was a cute little story that kept my interest, even though I would have passed this book by had not my book club chose it. The cover is quite cutsie, and that is the first thing I notice when book hunting. The second thing that catches my eye would be the title, depending on how the book is sitting on the shelf as I peruse the selections. In both cases I would not have given it more than a passing glance. But at least the author can't be accused of false advertising or bait ...more
Toni
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another feel good book about an older man losing his wife. BUT, he finds a beautiful, gold charm bracelet tucked into the toe of one of her barely worn shoes, as he finally starts to clean out her closet. What's this? Arthur doesn't recall ever seeing this before.
The first charm, an elegant gold elephant with a green emerald in his tummy has tiny numbers etched on his side. Arthur calls the number which leads him to a lovely family in India the first "stop" on his journey of the charms. He's off
Connie
Widower Arthur Pepper is grieving and has resorted to the same daily routine, rarely leaving his Yorkshire home. He finds a beautiful charm bracelet when he's sorting through his deceased wife's possessions. A phone number engraved on one charm starts him on a journey where he learns about the important people and places in his wife's life before they were married. Along the way Arthur reawakens to life and all the possibilities it holds.

The people that Arthur meets seem to open their hearts and
Lieblingsleseplatz
Der Titel allein ist ja schon eine ganze Inhaltsangabe…

…und trifft es eigentlich perfekt. Doch nicht nur Arthur findet sein Herz, er hinterlässt auch selbst Spuren auf seiner Suche nach der Vergangenheit seiner Frau und sich selbst …

Arthur Pepper ist 69 und ein Gewohnheitstier. Seine Morgenroutine ist ihm heilig. Auch der Umstand, das ihn die Trauer um seine vor einem Jahr verstorbene Frau Miriam fast umbringt ist für ihn kein Grund von dieser Routine abzuweichen. Er hat immer viel gearbeitet, d
Diane Barnes
I wanted to end the year with something light and unchallenging, and this was the perfect choice. A story that tells us we can never really know another person, sometimes the ones we love least of all.
BookOfCinz
This book reminds me so much of "A Man Called Ove". What is about charming, grumpy, old, lonely men finding a new lease on life that I cannot get enough of. My heart is all warm and toasty after finishing this book. Arthur Pepper is one of those characters that grabs hold of a piece of your heart and never lets it go.

Maybe it is the travel bug in me, or me always wanting to live every piece of life like its golden why I LOVE this novel. Patrick really did an amazing job of taking you on an unfo
DeB MaRtEnS
I smiled when I realized that "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper" were LITERALLY the gold charms on a bracelet that he finds, tucked in a winter boot, as he prepares to finally clear away the clothing of his wife Miriam who died a year before. The sixty-nine year old fellow has mournfully and rigidly kept to the schedule and rituals of daily life with his wife but without her it has become sadly vacant.

Upon finding the curious and valuable charms, Arthur realizes that Miriam had a life before
Ghazaleh
فقط ۳۰-۴۰ صفحه اول رو خوندم و حس میکنم نویسنده فکر کرده مخاطبانش تعدادی کودک دبستانی هستند :|
Kristie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of A Man Called Ove
Shelves: 2016, audible, fiction
I thought this was a cute story, but nothing really special. It was a bit too coincidental for my tastes, but still cute. I would recommend it for someone looking for a quick and easy, feel good read. Maybe 3.5★.
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
3 1/2 Stars rounded up as more stories should be so heart warming.

This is a sweet story and (pun intended) very charming. I love the premise, I adore Arthur Pepper and his adventures. The people he met and places he visited were just about the right amount of weird, wacky and terribly, terribly normal. The love he had for his wife and for his children is beautifully drawn and shown as the story goes on.

However, I have some small problems with this. I love mad adventures and quite happily novel
♥ Sandi ❣
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-want
Received this ARC from First Reads for an honest review~~

As Arthur Pepper tackles sorting through his deceased wife's belongings he comes across a hidden charm bracelet. A bracelet that he believes he has never seen or heard about, but definitely stirs his curiosity. And so the transformation begins...
This odyssey takes Arthur to India, Paris and London, as he searches for answers. Along the way he begins to doubt his 40 year marriage to Miriam. As he meets the people who correspond with the cha
Louise Wilson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arthur Pepper was married to Miriam for 40 years and they had a strict routine they kept to every day. After her death Arthur keeps to the routine his wife had set out.

On the anniversary of her death Arthur decides it's time to sort out her belongings.

In the bottom of the wardrobe Arthur puts his hand into one of her boots and and to his surprise there is a box that contains a charm bracelet he has never seen before.

On one of the charms he finds a telephone number which he decides to call t
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, death, adventure
Arthur's journey of overcoming grief and going on an adventure which might bring him closure, is both interesting and sad, and definitely an exciting story.
Liza Fireman
This one is a really cute book. Arthur's wife has died and he starts to understand that he actually didn't know a whole lot about her. He is following the charms on a bracelet of hers to find out that she had a life before him. That she had done quite a lot really. And there the journey begins.

The story is really nice. And a bit of a reminding to a bunch of other books on quirky old men that go through something (from A Man Called Ove to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry). I can't say that I
Fresh*Reads: Final Question 3 16 Dec 30, 2018 06:06AM
Fresh*Reads: What charms would you have? 6 12 Dec 27, 2018 07:00AM
Fresh*Reads: December Winner! 4 14 Dec 20, 2018 09:11AM
Fresh*Reads: Great characters 1 6 Dec 20, 2018 08:55AM
Fresh*Reads: Quick Giveaway! 7 10 Dec 04, 2018 11:23AM
Fourth Thursday B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Book selection for October 25, 2018 2 12 Sep 01, 2018 09:45AM
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Dog Who Danced
  • The Iron Wire
  • Etta and Otto and Russell and James
  • Mrs Queen Takes the Train
  • The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy (Harold Fry, #2)
  • The Late Bloomers' Club
  • Flight of Dreams
  • The Red Notebook
Phaedra Patrick's debut novel, The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, is set to be translated into over twenty languages worldwide and film rights have been optioned in the US.

She originally studied art and marketing and has worked as a stained glass artist, film festival organiser and communications manager.

An award-winning short story writer, she now writes full time. She lives in Saddleworth, U
“He always felt embarrassed opening gifts in front of others, having to act out delight or surprise. He liked to peel off the paper slowly and consider the contents.” 4 likes
“By sorting out her wardrobe it felt as if he was saying goodbye to her all over again. He was clearing her out of his life. With” 3 likes