Start by marking “Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn, #1)

Thrawn

(Star Wars: Thrawn #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  17,954 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews
One of the most cunning and ruthless warriors in the history of the Galactic Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn is also one of the most captivating characters in the Star Wars universe, from his introduction in bestselling author Timothy Zahn’s classic Heir to the Empire through his continuing adventures in Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, and beyond. But Thrawn’s origins an ...more
Published April 6th 2017 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Thrawn, please sign up.
John Very little. Considering it is written by Zahn, it appears great lengths have been gone to align the trilogy as best as possible. But the trilogy…moreVery little. Considering it is written by Zahn, it appears great lengths have been gone to align the trilogy as best as possible. But the trilogy takes place years later...this is before New Hope.

As someone that hates the elimination of the expanded universe as canon, this book is quite enjoyable.(less)

·  17,954 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews

Khurram
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I had very high hopes for this book. All the ingredients seemed to be in place. I remember reading Heir to the Empire trilogy when it first came this ignited my love of reading and since I have devoured everything from the expanded universe. What could go wrong with the book they even had Timothy Zahn (Thrawn's original creater). What could go wrong? NOTHING!!! The book is AWSOME!!!!

As much as I loved Heir to the Empire we were never given too much background of Thrawn's ra
Alejandro
The great tactician returns to the canon!

ONCE GREAT, ALWAYS GREAT

Grand Admiral Thrawn was created by Timothy Zahn in his original Thrawn trilogy that it was the cornerstone of the then Star Wars Expanded Universe in prose novels.

However due the buying of Disney of Lucasfilms, that trilogy became non-canon and part of what is know nowadays as “Legends”, and of course, since that trilogy was written so early in the franchise where the Clone Wars weren’t properly developed in the Prequel Trilo
Crystal Starr Light
I don't care to read any "new" Star Wars canon, but anything Zahn writes, I will read.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/05/04/...

Unpopular opinion time: I never cared for the Thrawn trilogy. Though to be fair, I was late to the party and only started reading Heir to the Empire after college sometime in the mid-2000s, about 15 years after its original publication. In my eyes, the books did not age very well, and I think many tended to view them through nostalgia-tinted glasses.

Still, setting my personal critique of the books aside, as a character I d
Ben Brown
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars-canon
Boy, did I want to like this book more than I did.

A few quick background details: prior to his appearing on Star Wars: Rebels last fall, I had close to zero prior experience with the character of Grand Admiral Thrawn (I say “close to zero,” because after doing a little research, I was surprised to discover that he did make an appearance in one of the “Galaxy of Fear” books from the 90s, a series that I remember reading voraciously as a youngster. I have zero recollection of his appearance, howe
Rob
Executive Summary: After a slow start, I really enjoyed this book a lot. But I spent the whole book rooting for a member of the Empire, and I feel dirty for it.

Audiobook: Marc Thompson is so good, that I really don't want to listen to a Star Wars book he doesn't narrate. You get the usual Star Wars audiobook treatment here: Music, Sound effects and a narrator who can do all the voices, making this feel more like a radio drama than a novel at times. Generally I find music in audiobooks distractin
Bradley
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A long time ago in a galaxy, far, far away, I was once absolutely amazed and thrilled when a certain Timothy Zahn revitalized the whole Star Wars franchise by picking up a few decades after the events in Episode Six, introducing the most charming and deadly enemy the New Republic had ever faced.

I was doubly amazed because there was no heavy reliance on BDOs, just strategical and tactical strength. Grand Admiral Thrawn came back from the outer rim and WIPED everything in his path.

My jaw dropped.
Sr3yas
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Say goodbye to Sun Tzu's Art of War. Behold Thrawn's Art of War!

*Cue epic war drums*
Leadership and obedience are the two legs on which a warrior’s life is balanced. Without both, victory cannot be achieved.
Leadership depends on information and comprehension. Not so obedience. Sometimes a commander may choose to share details of his plan. Often he may not. In either case, obedience must be instant and complete.
Such automatic response relies on trust between commander and those commanded. And th
Chad
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I have to say I was a little disappointed because the other Timothy Zahn penned Star Wars books are SOOO good. This isn't so much the secret origin of Admiral Thrawn as it is just little snippets of his rise to the top. There's very little characterization in the book. It's a series of looks into Thrawn's victories using his tactical superiority. Plus this is as much a book about Arihnda Pryce's rise through the Empire as it is anything else. Every other chapter is her story which actually has m ...more
Sud666
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
In a galaxy far, far away there was an epic story called Star Wars. Since that time we have seen the "new and improved" Disney Wars version and, most of us, felt varying degrees of disgust or ennui when faced with the "threat" of a vaguely metro-sexual Sith wanna-be and his "master" Snooky. So it was with great pleasure I saw this book by Timothy Zahn.

This is Star Wars as I remembered it- great characters, wonderful villains and a truly impressive Galactic Empire. This is the story of Mitth'raw'
HBalikov
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not read the earlier “Thrawn Trilogy” written by Zahn over 25 years ago. This book is Zahn’s reinvestment in Mitth'raw'nuruodo, more commonly known as "Thrawn." The book takes us back to when The Empire discovers Thrawn as a “castaway” in a chance encounter in the outer regions.

What The Empire doesn’t initially know is that Thrawn, having risen through the ranks to become a well respected member of the Chiss Ascendancy, advocated breaking the code of the Chiss and, we are told, was exiled
Josh
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thrawn lives on.

As a large majority of the reviews from various sites have stated, this is the best version of Thrawn we have ever gotten, we get to spend more time and learn more about Thrawn in the first quarter of this book than we ever did in the Legends books, and yet he still remains mysterious. I'm now okay with saying goodbye to Legends Thrawn, and embracing Canon Thrawn as an equally incredible version of the brilliant strategist.

With the combination of his excellent portrayal in Star W
Michael Otway
Jul 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
While so far I'm not a fan of any new Canon novels, I'll eagerly look forward to this release.

This story will be set before Rebels Season Three and Timothy Zahn has said it will explore a part of Thrawns history that he has never had the opportunity to write about before. Therefore it may very well fit in nicely with his books from the old Universe for original EU fans, even though it is part of the new Star Wars Universe.

"You're going to get to see how Thrawn basically got to his position of p
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Damn but it's good to have Thrawn back in official rotation! Arguably the single best villain of the extended Star Wars universe, Thrawn was a character like no other, a cool, calculated, and supremely effective Grand Admiral in the typically blustery and barely competent Imperial Navy. And when Disney bought out everything Lucas, and the extended universe were removed from canon and made into "legends", many of us were saddened by the loss of this fascinating Chiss tactician.

But with appearance
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrawn is a fabulous read.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

After finishing Chuck Wendig’s AFTERMATH trilogy, I tried to settle in to several non-STAR WARS books, but after a few lackluster beginnings that were all unceremoniously set aside, I surrendered to my fate and indulged my recent obsession with THRAWN.

I didn’t know what to expect, having never heard of the character, but it was well received by readers, and if a character is so badass that his name is the only title needed . . . I was okay with lack of prior knowledge (wh
Ashley
It is quickly coming to the point once again, as it did for me in the early 2000s, where it is simply not feasible for me to read every new canon Star Wars book that comes out. For a while there I was keeping up, but I feel I must concede defeat earlier than my younger self might have: there are too many, and I am too old for all of this. I shall read the ones that my people say are must-reads and I will not let my OCD make me feel bad about it. DO YOU HEAR THAT, UNIVERSE? STOP KEEPING ME UP AT ...more
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Thrawn is a reboot of sorts of the 90s Star Wars trilogy Heir to the Empire that introduced the main villain Thrawn. He is a super intelligent badass, that can not be out-thought in battle. (OR anywhere else for that matter)

This book follows him and other characters as he rises through the ranks and reaches further in the Empire than any alien ever. We deal with the struggles he faces and the racism that he has to over come. Besides bounty hunters, there are really not many aliens in the empire.
Daniel
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kazimo 3.5 al zaokruzeno na 4 posto je ipak bilo zabavno stivo.

Roman o jednom od interesantnijih likova iz expanded univerzuma kojeg sam prvi put sreo u igri Tie Fighter. Velika steta sto je Dizni unistio citav taj univerzum pa smo primorani da citomao nove knjige da bi pohvatali sta je cannon a sta ne. Al dobro.

Prica prati Thrawnov uspon kroz imperijalne vode i njegovo shvatanje univerzuma uz manje prelaze na druge likove cisto da dobijemo malo potpuniju pricu. Thrawn je fenomenalan strateg ali
Loren Gilmore
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I was disappointed by this book. The tension-filled plot and strong character development that were present in the original Thrawn trilogy are sorely lacking here. Instead of presenting a story, the first half of the book feels like clunky and rushed preamble, each chapter being a discrete anecdote to illustrate the infallibility of the titular protagonist as he climbs the The Empire's ranks. Examples of situations that are supposed to show his tactical brilliance seem murky and far-fetched.

The
Taylor
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, sci-fi
4.5

"There are things in the universe that are simply and purely evil. A warrior does not seek to understand them, or to compromise with them. He seeks only to obliterate them."

...

Wow. This book was damn good. This was my first foray with Timothy Zhan, and it definitely won't be my last. I'm so glad Grand Admiral Thrawn is canon now.

This guy . Thrawn is one of the most fascinating villains I've ever read about. Even calling him a villain is hard for me; he's so complex and driven in his goals,
Brandon St Mark
Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

One of the better entires into the new Star Wars canon. I like Thrawn a lot, but I think he was better in the show than in this book. Hopefully the Legends version of him will be better also.
Ross Blocher
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Star Wars books back in high school were Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy (serving as my episodes VII, VIII and IX at the time), along with two follow-up books. Grand Admiral Thrawn was for me the most vibrant character outside the films: a rare non-human Imperial leader with blue skin, red eyes and a brilliant tactical mind. He's one of those uncommon villains you so admire that you find yourself in the untenable position of rooting for the Empire.

It was fun to jump back into that stor
Nathan
The timeline for those not in the know.

There were Star Wars book published before Heir to the Empire but they were never allowed to continue the story that at the time ended with the rebels blowing up the second Death Star. So events between the movies and a few adventure stories with Han and Lando were out there, but fans finally had a new story to follow with Zahn's release. And most fans agreed that Zahn did it just right. The introduction of Grand Admiral Thrawn gave fans a new kind of villa
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
AHHHHHHHHH....I need answers!
You know those books that you finish reading and you want to talk about it to everyone, but what actually comes out of your mouth is basically incoherent screaming? Thrawn is one of those for me. This book had me geeking out from beginning to end.

Thrawn is one of the most popular characters from the original Star Wars Extended Universe, so much so that when the universe was reset there was some small rioting over his deletion from the canon. Thankfully he’s back in
Jennifer Quail
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only been waiting years for this book

The down side of the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm was that books like Timothy Zahn's the Thrawn Trilogy were relegated to a status dubbed "Legends." And while some of the new material has been enjoyable (notably James Luceno' s "Catalyst") mostly the books have been middling-quality afterthought to the new films and cartoons.

"Thrawn" rectifies that.

From a only-barely modified origin story that will be very familiar to those who read the short "Mist Encoun
Emilia Barnes
I want to say it's an "it's not you-it's me" situation, but I'm not entirely sure that's true. Mostly, because I didn't finish it, so I can't know if it has some great place it was going to. But I got about half way through and I frankly didn't know where it was going. There was no defined goal, no mystery, no drive, no end-game that I was waiting to resolve. Consequently, every time I picked up the book, I felt a wave of tedium wash over me, and I kept asking myself: who is this again? What's t ...more
Lata
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I knew nothing about this character going into this story. Thrawn is a terrific strategist, and Timothy Zahn has written a fast-paced story of Thrawn's entry to the Empire and his early years rising rapidly up the ranks to become a Grand Admiral. Thrawn has zero political savvy, but has his trusty sidekick Eli Vanto to help him a little navigating the prickly, inner worlds-centric, anti-aliens attitudes of the various captains, admirals and others serving Palpatine.
There's plenty of space-based
Peace
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: would-read-again
Can I adopt Eli? He is my fave cinnamon roll.

This book was so artistically done.
Star Wars Book Club: Thrawn 9 37 Feb 09, 2019 07:45PM
Star Wars Bookwor...: Spoiler Filled Discussion 20 103 Jul 19, 2018 07:49AM
book review 1 4 Mar 13, 2018 01:14PM
book report benjamin trammel 1 5 Mar 12, 2018 01:07PM
choice book assignment 1 5 Mar 06, 2018 08:41PM
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Phasma (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 4: End of Games
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 1: The Last Padawan
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more

Star Wars: Thrawn (3 books)
  • Alliances (Star Wars: Thrawn, #2)
  • Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
“Still, even when false, legends can be most informative.” 21 likes
“Failure to act always brings consequences. But sometimes, those consequences can be turned to one’s advantage.” 17 likes