Start by marking “You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less” as Want to Read:

Pick up your pencil, embrace your inner artist, and learn how to draw in thirty days with this approachable step-by-step guide from an Emmy award-winning PBS host.
Drawing is an acquired skill, not a talent -- anyone can learn to draw! All you need is a pencil, a piece of paper, and the willingness to tap into your hidden artistic abilities. With Emmy award-winning, longtim
Published January 4th 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published May 4th 2008)

Start your review of You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less
Shawn
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, draw
This was my first "how to draw" book. Before using this book I could draw stick figures and ugly junk. After these 30 lessons I've drawn things that amaze me! This book boosted me well up in drawing options. Not via secrets or weird rituals though. Instead by simply explaining the fundamentals then providing accessible exercises to get the explanation into your memory. I flipped through several books in the "how-to draw" section and thought this one was the most clear and accessible. Plus, Mark' ...more
Jeanne-Erin
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible book. even the sample drawings are not good. The idea of the book is to give you shorthand for drawing, not teach you how to draw from what you see. Which is fine, if that is what you want, but some of the shorthand is wrong, placing a shadow between two objects (he does this with spheres and continues it) for example. In most instances there is a LIGHTER area between two spheres. So his drawing look really off. Then he shows planets and gets the shadows all wrong for where the light so ...more
Atul
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Are you a beginner who is tired of making sloppy stick man and weird houses? Do you think you can never learn to draw in your life? Do you wish you could make something better than a man consisting of one circle and some lines?

Go no further my friends. This book is the only book you need to change your destiny.

In one sentence, this book is a simple, easy, step-by-step guide that teaches you to draw from simple cube and spheres to a realistic eye and a gorgeous women; in 30 days.

I am extremely
Kalliste
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book and I think I have improved however I don't think I can use the skills to be able to draw things from life. I can draw the things we learnt well but that's about all.
Theo Karner
First some background, I have no experience or training (including any sort of short courses) in drawing; I picked this book for this very reason. I was looking for a book that would teach me the basics and not just give me examples to copy with no explanation or show me artists work that I couldn't possibly reproduce at my current skill level. This book was exactly what I was looking for.

Mark Kistler's easy going and confidence inducing style was encouraging throughout the book and he introduce
Min Yee
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-drawing
One of the basic skill of learning to become a self-taught graphic designer is drawing. This book was mentioned in one of the blogs and I started to learn to draw from this book.

I didn't do any drawings or sketches since I left my high school, which is almost 15 years. I always got a barely pass grade for my Arts subject during high school. Besides, my previous jobs never required a drawing skill. I always feel drawing is an innate talent until I started to learn drawing from this book which te
Thomas Wolf
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging tone to the book. It made me want to learn to draw. The final two lessons (the face and the hand) could have used some of the same detail of the earlier chapters. But I guess eventually, I can't depend on the book to tell me how to draw everything, but I'll have to go out and practice on my own. I felt like I accomplished something by staying with it.
Martie Last
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
The book has some fun exercises that show basic tricks for drawing. However, it lacks a depth of explanations of fundamental or foundational drawing skills. It serves a purpose as an entertaining launch pad to improve drawing.
Marc
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I wanted to learn to draw of course. I have an idea for a webcomic and I don't know any non-flaky artists. I'm digressing. So I wanted to learn how to draw but sadly, I didn't finish the book's lessons even though I was only 10 lessons away.

The book did not lie. It made drawing easy and fun and I almost did it in 30 days. I think the biggest thing the book did was trying to change the noob (me!) mindset. Drawing isn't just a gift and you can train your eye correctly
Anke
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is quite nice - it got me using my sketchbook again, which was my goal.
It has 30 chapters that build on each other and introduce drawing concepts in an approachable way.

Two things I didn't like: The tone is a bit too... American? for me - the author constantly says things like "this is AWESOME and you will LOVE it and will keep drawing circles ALL THE TIME because they are so FUN!!", and I found myself skipping those lines because they have the opposite effect on me. But if you leave out
Melissa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in 2012 and completed 22 lessons and then got distracted and let it sit for way too long. I recently picked it back up and started again. I really enjoyed this book. I never thought that drawing was something I could do. Mark Kistler's lessons are easy to follow and teach you all of the fundamentals. I was amazed at what I learned and even more amazed at what I was able to draw!!!!!!! Things like eyes and faces which I thought too hard I was able to draw!!!! I look forward to ...more
John Glover
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've just started working my way through this book for the second time. The book does a remarkable job of distilling what people have discovered about representing the 3-dimensional world on a 2-dimensional piece of paper into 30 well graded and structured lessons. I really can't find any faults - except that there doesn't appear to be a follow on book to take the budding artist to the next level.
If anyone knows of a book of this quality for figure/portrait drawing then please let me know.
Radu Cristian
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot recommend this book more. It is a great starting point specially if you are new to the art of drawing. Going through this book you will learn the basic tools of trade and at the end you will be surprised of how much you can learn at the end of the journey
SURYA TEJA DASARI
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As promising as it seemed at first sight. Really progressive. The illustrated examples by fellow students seemed a very good idea as it roused a sense of competition among the reader.
Yes, you can really draw in 30 days. Or even less, for that matter.
A good beginner's guide.
Darcy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I´m so happy I read this. It gives you so many tools.
Nathan
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun and supportive writing style.

The exercises were small enough that I was motivated to stick with it!

The book starts out by out by saying 30d is by no means required, so I embraced that flexibility. On days where I didn't have time to process a new lesson, I repeated the previous day or did a bonus exercise.

First lesson:

Last lesson:

Muhamed
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Mark Kistler, you are the best drawing teacher ever.
You have hacked the process of learning.
I wish I had found this book earlier. There are so many books with similar titles. and I had tried so many and were so disappointed.
But this is the real deal. It actually does work and you don't need to buy loads of things.
Melanie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction
I’m embarrassed at how long it took me to complete all 30 drawing exercises in this book. I enjoyed the bite-sized lessons and found the drawing exercises to be quite fun, even though they weren’t all my style. I learned some new tricks and techniques.
andrea ✨
yeah i kinda gave up on trying to learn to draw so i’m dnfing this one 💀
Christopher
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mark Kistler is a model teacher and what every teacher should strive to be. I have read so many 'How To Draw' books and the Authors all seem to suffer from the same condition of being incredibly vague in their teachings. But not Mr. Kistler, he takes you on a visual journey and calmly explains all the important details along the way, never missing a step. Now I see these steps in my day to day life, a lot of what he teaches is uncommon sense, things you wouldn't think about had they not been poi ...more
Sandy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My kids got for Christmas some "Scratch and Sketch" books from their aunt, and the books had animal/habitat facts with a drawing on the left page & a page for scratch-drawing on the right. My 4-year-old wanted me to sketch for him and he would choose the page and tell me to draw the gorilla, spider, etc. I was surprised to LOVE doing this and thought the pictures actually turned out nicely. (I still kinda want one of those books for myself.)

Enter *You Can Draw in 30 Days* which I found on Amazo
Annabella Crafts
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A few months ago I suddenly sparked an interest in drawing. I tried but I didn't know where to start so for Christmas I got this book along with a crap load of other art supplies. This book is great for a beginning but if you want to just buy one book and know a huge genera of topics, this isn't quite for you. It does have good details on cubes, spheres ect but not to much variety. Wasn't much of a problem for me but I do need to buy more drawing books. For this book, the student examples and th ...more
Brett Anderson
30 drawing lessons that build well on the previous. It had been about a decade since I had done much of any sketching so this was a good refresher. The lessons will definitely start to take more than the 20 min advertised by midway through. I did about 23 lessons in 25 days and then let the rest drag out over a number of weeks.
Thomas
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a beginning artist, I would highly recommend this book. It's clearly written and shows you how to draw different things using basic fundamentals. I would recommend this if you are starting out.
Steve Savory
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, no messing around lessons

Very proud of what I have achieved through the help of this book. The difference between day 1 age day 30 is amazing. As someone who has been interested in drawing this helped give me certain principles in a way that kept me engaged.
Myfanwy Purslow
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My drawing has definitely improved since beginning reading. Mark Kistler has been able to teach me many things about drawing and from this, I have gone on to draw better than I ever have before. Drawing is simple, and Mark shows you how.
Justin Wahe
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started me on my drawing journey.
Carla
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy clear step by step instructions to learn to draw. I recommend this book.
Chriz Phoebe
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential for a startup designer or hobbyist. Very detailed and exciting, you'll find humor and vital knowledge as it makes it more interesting.
Ayoub
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for absolute beginners.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Dare to Sketch: A Guide to Drawing on the Go
  • Walking the Nile
  • The Non-Designer's Design Book
  • The Picture on the Fridge
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Drawing: Guide For Beginners Using Just Pencils And Paper, With Pictures And Practical Exercises (Pencil Drawing, Circles, Sketching, Perspective, 3D Architecture, Step-By-Step)
  • White Kids: Growing Up with Privilege in a Racially Divided America
  • Living from a Place of Surrender: The Untethered Soul in Action
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • Bliss (The Bliss Bakery, #1)
  • Berserk Deluxe Edition Volume 2
  • Captain for Life
  • Soccer iQ - Vol. 2
  • Soccer iQ: Things That Smart Players Do
  • Soccer iQ Presents Shutout Pizza: Smarter Soccer Defending for Players and Coaches
  • Going Rogue
  • Three Days in January
Mark Kistler teaches art. He has run thousands of elementary school workshops, written art books, and starred in the public television series The Secret City, The Draw Squad, The New Secret City Adventures, and the Emmy-Award-winning Imagination Station, all teaching art.

[author photo credit: Lois Bernstein]

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...
“I like to call them the “ABCs of Successful Drawing.” 1. Attitude: Nourishing your “I can do this” positive attitude is a crucial part of learning any new skill. 2. Bonus details: Add your own unique ideas and observations to your drawing to make it truly your own expression. 3. Constant practice: Repeated daily application of any new learned skill is absolutely necessary for successful mastery of the skill.” 0 likes
“all know we do not need talent to learn how to write as a communication” 0 likes