Start by marking “You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less” as Want to Read:

Learn to draw in 30 days with Emmy award-winning PBS host Mark Kistler

Drawing is an acquired skill, not a talent--anyone can learn to draw! All you need is a pencil, a piece of paper, and the willingness to tap into your hidden artistic abilities. With Emmy award-winning, longtime PBS host Mark Kistler as your guide, you'll learn the secrets of sophisticated three-dimensi
Published January 4th 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published May 4th 2008)

Shawn
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to, draw
This was my first "how to draw" book. Before using this book I could draw stick figures and ugly junk. After these 30 lessons I've drawn things that amaze me! This book boosted me well up in drawing options. Not via secrets or weird rituals though. Instead by simply explaining the fundamentals then providing accessible exercises to get the explanation into your memory. I flipped through several books in the "how-to draw" section and thought this one was the most clear and accessible. Plus, Mark' ...more
Jeanne-Erin
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible book. even the sample drawings are not good. The idea of the book is to give you shorthand for drawing, not teach you how to draw from what you see. Which is fine, if that is what you want, but some of the shorthand is wrong, placing a shadow between two objects (he does this with spheres and continues it) for example. In most instances there is a LIGHTER area between two spheres. So his drawing look really off. Then he shows planets and gets the shadows all wrong for where the light so ...more
Atul
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Are you a beginner who is tired of making sloppy stick man and weird houses? Do you think you can never learn to draw in your life? Do you wish you could make something better than a man consisting of one circle and some lines?

Go no further my friends. This book is the only book you need to change your destiny.

In one sentence, this book is a simple, easy, step-by-step guide that teaches you to draw from simple cube and spheres to a realistic eye and a gorgeous women; in 30 days.

I am extremely
Mashael
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
أعتقد أنني تجاوزت مرحلة تعلم أساسيات الرسم،لكنني أبحث عن مراجع جيدة لتعليم الرسم لأنني سأمتهن التدريب عما قريب،لي تجربة طويلة وسيئة مع الرسم وخبرة في "تأخير إتقان الرسم وتضييع الوقت"،اطلعت على هذا الكتاب في أقل من نصف ساعة لأن معظم الموجود معروف بالنسبة لي..أرى أنه كتاب رائع لتعلم الرسم ذاتيا مع الاستعانة باليوتيوب لأن الرسم يحتاج لرؤية حركة يد غيرك وهو مناسب لجميع المراحل،حتى لو احترفت الرسم ربما تجد بعض التفاصيل البسيطة التي لم تتعلمها أو لم تكن تهتم بها حين تعلمت الرسم.
Martie Last
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
The book has some fun exercises that show basic tricks for drawing. However, it lacks a depth of explanations of fundamental or foundational drawing skills. It serves a purpose as an entertaining launch pad to improve drawing.
Min Yee
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-drawing
One of the basic skill of learning to become a self-taught graphic designer is drawing. This book was mentioned in one of the blogs and I started to learn to draw from this book.

I didn't do any drawings or sketches since I left my high school, which is almost 15 years. I always got a barely pass grade for my Arts subject during high school. Besides, my previous jobs never required a drawing skill. I always feel drawing is an innate talent until I started to learn drawing from this book which te
Kalliste
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book and I think I have improved however I don't think I can use the skills to be able to draw things from life. I can draw the things we learnt well but that's about all.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this book in 2012 and completed 22 lessons and then got distracted and let it sit for way too long. I recently picked it back up and started again. I really enjoyed this book. I never thought that drawing was something I could do. Mark Kistler's lessons are easy to follow and teach you all of the fundamentals. I was amazed at what I learned and even more amazed at what I was able to draw!!!!!!! Things like eyes and faces which I thought too hard I was able to draw!!!! I look forward to ...more
Radu Cristian
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I cannot recommend this book more. It is a great starting point specially if you are new to the art of drawing. Going through this book you will learn the basic tools of trade and at the end you will be surprised of how much you can learn at the end of the journey
Thomas Wolf
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging tone to the book. It made me want to learn to draw. The final two lessons (the face and the hand) could have used some of the same detail of the earlier chapters. But I guess eventually, I can't depend on the book to tell me how to draw everything, but I'll have to go out and practice on my own. I felt like I accomplished something by staying with it.
Marc
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I wanted to learn to draw of course. I have an idea for a webcomic and I don't know any non-flaky artists. I'm digressing. So I wanted to learn how to draw but sadly, I didn't finish the book's lessons even though I was only 10 lessons away.

The book did not lie. It made drawing easy and fun and I almost did it in 30 days. I think the biggest thing the book did was trying to change the noob (me!) mindset. Drawing isn't just a gift and you can train your eye correctly
Annabella Crafts
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A few months ago I suddenly sparked an interest in drawing. I tried but I didn't know where to start so for Christmas I got this book along with a crap load of other art supplies. This book is great for a beginning but if you want to just buy one book and know a huge genera of topics, this isn't quite for you. It does have good details on cubes, spheres ect but not to much variety. Wasn't much of a problem for me but I do need to buy more drawing books. For this book, the student examples and th ...more
Theo Karner
First some background, I have no experience or training (including any sort of short courses) in drawing; I picked this book for this very reason. I was looking for a book that would teach me the basics and not just give me examples to copy with no explanation or show me artists work that I couldn't possibly reproduce at my current skill level. This book was exactly what I was looking for.

Mark Kistler's easy going and confidence inducing style was encouraging throughout the book and he introduce
Anke
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is quite nice - it got me using my sketchbook again, which was my goal.
It has 30 chapters that build on each other and introduce drawing concepts in an approachable way.

Two things I didn't like: The tone is a bit too... American? for me - the author constantly says things like "this is AWESOME and you will LOVE it and will keep drawing circles ALL THE TIME because they are so FUN!!", and I found myself skipping those lines because they have the opposite effect on me. But if you leave out
John Glover
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've just started working my way through this book for the second time. The book does a remarkable job of distilling what people have discovered about representing the 3-dimensional world on a 2-dimensional piece of paper into 30 well graded and structured lessons. I really can't find any faults - except that there doesn't appear to be a follow on book to take the budding artist to the next level.
If anyone knows of a book of this quality for figure/portrait drawing then please let me know.
Brett Anderson
30 drawing lessons that build well on the previous. It had been about a decade since I had done much of any sketching so this was a good refresher. The lessons will definitely start to take more than the 20 min advertised by midway through. I did about 23 lessons in 25 days and then let the rest drag out over a number of weeks.
Monika Petrauskaitė
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-2018
Su šita knyga aš išmokau pamilti piešimą. Mokykloje man dailės pamokos būdavo pačios baisiausios, niekas mūsų nemokė nei kaip piešti, nei jokių ten tai fundamentaliųjų piešimo taisyklių. Pasakydavo temą ir liepdavo piešti. Ir viskas. Tai žodžiu, visąlaik maniau, kad piešimas TIK talentingiems, TIK tiems, kuriems visos tos taisyklės kažkaip automatiškai galvoje yra... Taip yra daug žmonių, kurie tiesiog jaučia kaip pieštuku sukurti įspūdingą paveikslą ir jaučia, kur reikiamą brūkšnį paddėti..bet ...more
Sandy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My kids got for Christmas some "Scratch and Sketch" books from their aunt, and the books had animal/habitat facts with a drawing on the left page & a page for scratch-drawing on the right. My 4-year-old wanted me to sketch for him and he would choose the page and tell me to draw the gorilla, spider, etc. I was surprised to LOVE doing this and thought the pictures actually turned out nicely. (I still kinda want one of those books for myself.)

Enter *You Can Draw in 30 Days* which I found on A
Nohelia
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
It is a fun book. It has 30 lessons that teach you how to draw a particular figure. It is not traditional in the sense that you are not taught much about lines, or shading or tones, so if you're looking for that, this book is not for you.

I recommend this for those who want to get into drawing but don't want to dedicate too much time to it at first, and want to avoid feeling overwhelmed by it. By the end, I am less self conscious about my (def not brilliant) drawings, and have gotten quite a bit
Missy J
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very fun and easy to follow drawing book. I used to draw a lot when I was younger. This helped me to find my joy for drawing again. The first half of the book was strong, the lessons were very eye-opening. Towards the end, I didn't enjoy the concept of "tracing". Definitely recommend this for those who want to learn how to draw.
Thomas
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are a beginning artist, I would highly recommend this book. It's clearly written and shows you how to draw different things using basic fundamentals. I would recommend this if you are starting out.
Myfanwy Purslow
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My drawing has definitely improved since beginning reading. Mark Kistler has been able to teach me many things about drawing and from this, I have gone on to draw better than I ever have before. Drawing is simple, and Mark shows you how.
Layan Ibrahim
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
ممتاز جداً للمبتدئين اللي لدرجة مايعرف يرسم مكعب أو يظلل أو يرسم شكل اسطواني.. وكذلك مناسب للأطفال..
أو لأشخاص يعملون في مجال تعليم الرسم.

الدروس مقسمة بحيث يكون كل يوم درس بهدف الإنتظام بالممارسة لمدة ٣٠ يوم وكل درس ممكن ياخذ ٢٠ دقيقه فقط من يومك.

👌🏻
Steve Savory
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, no messing around lessons

Very proud of what I have achieved through the help of this book. The difference between day 1 age day 30 is amazing. As someone who has been interested in drawing this helped give me certain principles in a way that kept me engaged.
Carla
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy clear step by step instructions to learn to draw. I recommend this book.
Hung Cao
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For people who need to understand fundamental principles of drawing
Joseph
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too easy
Justin
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started me on my drawing journey.
Alvaro Fierro
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You do actually learn how to draw with the tips/tricks they teach you. Easy to follow. They have great examples and steps to look at and follow.
Darcy
  • Technical Drawing
  • Get Started in Creative Writing
  • How To Draw Anything
  • The Fundamentals Of Drawing: A Complete Professional Course For Artists
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices that Matter)
Mark Kistler teaches art. He has run thousands of elementary school workshops, written art books, and starred in the public television series The Secret City, The Draw Squad, The New Secret City Adventures, and the Emmy-Award-winning Imagination Station, all teaching art.

[author photo credit: Lois Bernstein]
“all know we do not need talent to learn how to write as a communication” 0 likes
“ADVANCED-LEVEL HOUSES” 0 likes