Start by marking “Open Water Diver Manual” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Open Water Diver Manual
Published January 1st 1999 by PADI (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Open Water Diver Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Water Diver Manual

Katherine
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Very dry reading for something about being wet, but definitely worth it if you're doing a PADI open water scuba diving course. Not really worth it if you're looking for a light read by the pool, unless you are into reading textbooks for fun. Diving is more fun than that. It also comes in lots of languages, which is pretty cool, so you can dive in French, German, Spanish...

Did I mention that diving is AWESOME?

Daiana Catioiu
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm currently reading this to prepare for my open water diver theory class that I'm taking in order to get my licence.

It's really easy to understand and has step-by-step guiding lessons that help greatly. Quick quizzes and chapter assessments embed the information in your mind and help you test it.

As the warning in it goes, I'm really excited about going into the practical side.

It's the perfect PADI home study material.
Ayat Mahmoud
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
My guide to Diving passion :)
Brandalyn
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great preparation for my scuba class. So excited for our trip!
Cheyenne Allenspach
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Liked the way it was packaged! Helped make it easy to read, especially with short exercises after each portion.
J.A.Birch
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Great read. The information is put into chapters and then broken up again into smaller chunks, each with their own mini quiz at the end (with answers) and then a larger questionnaire at the end of each chapter (to be discussed with instructor).

Very informative for a first-time diver.
Steve
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Had to read it to get my SCUBA certification. Very informative. Three stars for helping me not die.
David  Rodriguez
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Este libro es extremadamente largo para la información que contiene. Se puede resumir lo más importante en un manual de 10 páginas.

Al ser tan extenso se pierde el sentido de las cosas importantes
Hadi Wijaya
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education-book
There are several comments after reading this book:
1. This book is easy to understand, some parts are being told repetitively but it make me sure that the parts are extremely important, so it's reminded many times. It also provide quiz in the end of each section. The quiz is a good indicator to measure my understanding.

2. Reading this book like reading Physic Book in fun way. There is so many concepts of Physic those are actually useful in diving, and I didn't know that until I read this book. A
Ellon
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
At the beginning, I really hated the layout of the book. The 'objectives' and 'self surveys' are located in awkward places. There are some boxes that give other information that are placed in the middle of a paragraph so you either have to go to the next page to finish the paragraph and then go back to read the box or read the box and forget what you were reading in the main part. Also, the captions under the pictures are verbatim from the main information so I just stopped reading them after th ...more
Karen Martwick
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
There's a lot of great -- essential, in fact -- info here, but the format leaves plenty to be desired.

As others have noted, the sequencing of the things to look for and self-review sidebars is out of whack, and ALL of the image captions are verbatim repetitions of body copy from the same page. Obviously, someone thought, "Hey, we can emphasize these points by making them bold and hiding them under photos off to the side. Did we mention they're bold?!"

I understand that PADI is in the process of u
Igor
Apr 28, 2009 rated it liked it
I took a PADI open water scuba diver certification course in Mexico and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The feeling of weightlessness after achieving neutral buoyancy and breathing underwater is an experience all unto itself, but then comes the exploration of an underwater world that is so radically different from the surface world that you'll be captivated by its scope and beauty, and its probably as close to a feeling of exploring a strange new world as you're gonna ge ...more
Jen
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I should not have waited until a week before Scuba Class to start reading this book. I thought I could fly through 250 pages easily learning simple fun facts about diving, but this is some hefty material. I started last night and in 3 hours I had read just under 30 pages and took 6 pages of written notes to keep the info fresh and easy to skim through again before class.

I don't know how to rate this. As something enjoyeable to read I give it low stars. It's a classroom book, not an exciting rea
Sam Woodfield
Although I read this in order to pass the exam and gain the eventual qualification, I actually found this quite interesting. It tells you all you need to know about diving with SCUBA equipment to depths of up to 18 meters and the various conditions under which you might dive. It also taught me alot about the coastal environment which is useful information which will extend beyond my diving.

This was a really interesting read and complimented an excellent course which I would recommed to anyone re
Amanda
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Obviously had to read it to get PADI Open Water Diver certified. I had the same problems with the layout that many others did, with quizzes and sidebars being awkwardly located. I also felt the tone was simultaneously too dry and too joking. Not sure how this is possible, but ...

The book also spent far too long on how to buy gear. I know the gear is important to successful and fun-filled diving, but so much of what the textbook has to say on the topic is obvious and/or redundant. In fact, that'
Jay
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
While this wasn't the most thirlling of reads, it was necessary to read this cover-to-cover in order to obtain my SCUBA certification, which I am (at this writing) 1/3 of the way done with now that I have completed the textbook portion. I am super excited about learning to SCUBA dive; and this book was a great component in helping me learn about the equipment and procedures. I highly reccomend this to anyone who is interested in their SCUBA certification (indeed, it is required to be PADI certif ...more
Kimmay
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Had to read this for my scuba PADI class. It is textbook read for a recreational activity.

I did learn alot from the book, but it was a textbook, so it is not like a recreational book. I did try to retain as much info as possible but some of it i know just won't stick until i go diving and look back over this book, it will be a good book to have around for things that pop up in the futyre, a good reference to look back through.

I am now done with the classes all i need now are my 4 open water d
David S.
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very specific. Very informative if you are planning to go under the sea. They really should have one water confined dive that goes deeper then 7 foot community pool, so you can used to the pressure. I had some issues with pressurizing my ears, which I am sure everyone will not have, but I wish I would have done it once or twice before I went to sixty feet. Over all the book was unbelivably, incredibly boring. Do not read. Unless you plan on scuba diving.
Eric
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
SCUBA is a device to help people breathe underwater. SCUBA stands for Stay Calm Underwater, But Also. It is widely accepted that SCUBA used to have 2-4 other letters at the end of it which have been lost to time, as staying calm alone is not enough to breathe underwater, and because "But Also" is no way to end an acronym.

Besides teaching people about the calmness that is SCUBA, this book also has nice pictures.
Meghan
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-quater
The Open Water Diver Manual is a book that teaches you how to SCUBA dive. There are many different chapeters that explain the most important parts of SCUBA diving and the equiptment. It can be very confusing at times, so I would suggest you reread the parts you dont understand. At the end of each chapter is a quiz. It askes several of the main points in the book. I would recomend you read this if you would like to become a certified PADI diver.
Jennie Machines
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually really enjoyed this manual, for a text book style reading. Everything was well organized and fully explained. The little quips made it awesome. Such as: "Plan an alternative dive site in case you can't drive at your primary site (poor conditions, speed boat competitions, *ex-spouse is there*, etc.)"
Otis Chandler
Jan 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: divers
Now I'm a certified scuba diver!
Joshua
Read this on the plane to remind myself about how to scuba dive (I haven't done any in 3 years). I didn't die during my dives, so I guess it helped. As when I first read this book, I was disappointed that there was not a more technical discussion of gas solubility in non-ideal solutions (e.g., blood), but that is the pchemist talking...
Daniel Russo
I had to blaze through this in a week before I took my confined water dives (which is a tiny time frame that I DO NOT recommend, if you can help it), and it covered a ton of information without much fuss. Maybe not the most memorable book I've ever read, but I'll remember the FACTS in it, so in that respect it gets the job done admirably.
Emily
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is probably the best example of good instructional design I've ever seen. They explain every concept (to a fault) so that no matter how you prefer to learn, you understand what they're talking about. Between the videos, the books, and the in-class instruction, you'll know how to dive and be comfortable in the water after this class.
BJM
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
OK, it's not the most scintillating book to read, but necessary if you want to get PADI certified as an open water diver! Plus it explains why I haven't been posting any "real" books lately, still studying for my upcoming scuba exams next week, not much time for leisure reading right now!
Yuta Tamberg
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
There is simplicity and there is oversimplifying. Here one can find a fair measure of both. Not really bad for an absolute beginner, but not enough, either. And do you know what they say about PADI? Put Another Dollar In
Karol Stosiek
Diving and diving techniques are fun, but should be treated seriously and with full understanding of the matter at hand. This book indeed goes to great lengths to make sure the reader understands each and every (even the simplest) concept - at the price of being a painful read.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
I was certified many years ago, but my wife just became certified and used this as her text. It's perfectly adequate for what it is supposed to provide, if a bit on the "advertising additional services" which is the hallmark of all of the dive certification schools (and PADI in particular).
Llama's rule (not Aaron Francis)
I hated this book because it was so long but it was necessary as it was a big help for me becoming an open water scuba diver
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • New Zealand
  • Diver Down: Real-World Scuba Accidents and How to Avoid Them
  • Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World
  • Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
  • Everyday Life in Traditional Japan
  • The Back Stage Guide to Stage Management: Traditional and New Methods for Running a Show from First Rehearsal to Last Performance
  • William Morris: Romantic to Revolutionary
  • Home Life in Colonial Days
  • Inside Transracial Adoption
  • A Different Kind of Luxury: Japanese Lessons in Simple Living and Inner Abundance
  • Ash Road
  • I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work
  • From Diapers to Dating: A Parent's Guide to Raising Sexually Healthy Children
  • The Anchor Atlas of World History, Vol 2: From the French Revolution to the American Bicentennial
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons