Start by marking “Riding Out the Devil: The Story of a Wounded Horse Healer (The Jack Harper Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Riding Out the Devil: The Story of a Wounded Horse Healer

(Jack Harper Trilogy #1)

Jack is only interested in helping horses. Period. Human owners irritate him.

He’s working with an anxious gelding when a mystery woman calls his cell phone. As she does once each year, she makes the same short statement before hanging up.

Already rattled, that evening he receives bad news which sends him back to his native England for the first time in 17 years.

The ev
Published July 14th 2016 by Hilary Walker

To ask other readers questions about Riding Out the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding Out the Devil

Start your review of Riding Out the Devil: The Story of a Wounded Horse Healer (The Jack Harper Trilogy Book 1)
Clare O'Beara
This short novel is nicely put together; three topics are addressed, with a great deal of time spent riding horses. Jack is a British rider who set up a stable training difficult horses in America. As we start, his father rings with bad news; his mum has died. Jack mentally reassigns his next few days of riding training before agreeing to attend the funeral. Among other people, Jack agrees to assist a teenage lad whose horse got badly frightened at a show.

On the flight we learn that Jack has an
Beverly
This is such a good all around story. Jack, the horse trainer, grew up in Britain, but found his home in the Americas as a specialist who could work with nearly any kind of horse, especially problem horses. He had a knack for knowing just what the horses needed to fix their problems. He preferred working with the horses alone, but once in awhile he worked with others to help the owner get what needed to be done for his horse.

We discover that Jack prefers his own company. He's had some bad experi
Julie Barrett
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riding Out the Devil by Hilary Walker
Like this book so much because it's the start of the series that I've read the last three of already.
Like putting the missing pieces together and wondered why things were the way they were in future books.
Jack is running the horse farm and is notified of his mothers death and funeral that he is able to attend and he comes clean to his father about the past...
H.M.
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this story was good. It focused on healing, which I thought was nice. I thought the religious stuff was weird because I’m not Catholic, and I felt like the author was trying to shove it down my throat at times. I enjoyed the interactions with the horses, as well as the healing of the main character. The themes I noticed in this book were healing/helping the autoimmune disease, healing the main character, healing the horses, and healing the main character’s faith.
Susan
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great feel good story. Flows well. A quick read too, which made it even harder to put down.
Frances P. Haws
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read!

I will definitely go to book 2 and 3 if there is one! I love to read book that train horses and kids for the better!
Michael Lusk
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a Great inspirational book I loved how Jack ended up dealing with his faith, and helping horse and rider at the same time.
Margaret Fraleigh
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Hilary Walker.

It is a story of a wounded horse healer Jack Harper. This is first book in a trilogy.

Loved the story and the characters. Love stories of horses too.

Can't wait to red the second book.
Ulla
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-stories
Hilary Walker is the same as Hilary C.T. Walker * (goodreads author), see my review there: Ulla Fleu's review.

Read in August 2017. I don't add reading dates here, it would distort my 2017 reading-challenge.

Julie Barrett
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riding Out the Devil by Hilary Walker
Love how he reaches out to a boy that has UC like himself and he educates them on how it can become be
Cindy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for those who need a “feel good” fix. Author’s son has ulcerative colitis and she found paleo made prescriptions unnecessary. Very informative on this affliction entwining it within this kindly come-back-to-Jesus heartfelt and interesting novel on horses with bad behavior and people who are afraid of them.

I hope you have a pleasant and safe Christmas season.

Ulcerative colitis paleo recipe from book

Chocolate Chip Dessert

Check that you’re not allergic to any of the ingredient
Betty Johnson
Natalie
May 15, 2020

• A Horse Called Ambition
  • A Horse Called Red
  • Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)
  • Show Time: A Sequel to Stake Night
  • Fractured (Vampire Awakenings, #6)
  • Wall of Silence
  • A Snowy Little Christmas
  • Backstretch Girls
  • The October Horses (The October Horses, #1)
  • First Hunter (Vampire Girl #5)
  • Beau Born's Legacy: Book Seven of the Winning Odds Series
  • Unseen Lord (Iris and Elias Book 2)
  • The Horse Mistress: Book 1 (The Eburosi Chronicles, #1)
  • Tame a Wild Heart (Tame, #1)
  • Dragon's Ground (Desert Cursed, #2)
  • Quick Bright Things Come to Confusion (Fortune's Fool, #2)
  • A Doctor's Trust (Lifeline Air Rescue #4)
  • The Empty Nesters
Hilary lives on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina with her husband and two English bulldogs.

'Saving Prophecy' is the first book in her Sinclair Island Romance series, and the second book, 'Dinny's Challenge' is coming out later this year.

'Ivan's Choice' is a romance inspired by Hilary's first experience of a hurricane after moving to the island.

Hilary is also the author of the two 'Riding Out'

Jack Harper Trilogy (3 books)
  • Riding Out the Tempest: The Story of a Wounded Horse Healer (The Jack Harper Trilogy #2)
  • Riding Out the Rough: The Story of a Wounded Horse Healer (Jack Harper Trilogy #3)

News & Interviews