Start by marking “The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)

The Unbroken Line of the Moon

(Sagan om Valhalla #4)

In this grand saga of love, war, and magic set in the tenth century, young Sigrid is destined to be the mother of the king of the Nordic lands that would become Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and England.

A devout believer in the old Nordic gods, Sigrid is visited regularly in her dreams by the goddess Freya, who whispers to her of the future. Though Sigrid is beautiful, rich, ar

Published October 1st 2016 by AmazonCrossing

To ask other readers questions about The Unbroken Line of the Moon, please sign up.
Gośka Al atabi No, the English translation is not a compilation of 4 Swedish books. It is a translation of the 4th book only. To read the first 3 books you will have…moreNo, the English translation is not a compilation of 4 Swedish books. It is a translation of the 4th book only. To read the first 3 books you will have to learn Swedish, just like we had to learn English to read fantasy books in English. Nah, jk, You may ask Johanne about it yourself. I am sure she will be happy to help you.

PS. The first 3 books are really magical. (less)

Start your review of The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
Candace
I purchased this audiobook based upon the recommendation of a friend. I didn't realize at the time that this book was actually the fourth book in a series. That being said, I enjoyed it quite a bit and felt that it was easily read as a standalone. Of course, I can't really know what I might have missed in the earlier books that might have enhanced my reading experience.

'The Unbroken Line of the Moon' is set in the tenth century, when the Vikings and Christians were battling over the Nordic lands
P Franke
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book over the weekend as a Kindle First Pick for September.
Right off the bat, I have to address an earlier Amazon review that expressed much concern about “mature content” including violent descriptions of rape.
This is a historical fiction account of Vikings.
VIKINGS!
There is much, much “mature content” because the author stays absolutely true to any historical basis. And anyone who expects some sort of “everyone lived happily thereafter” romance should definitely look elsewhere,
'Q' aka CoCo
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars--I loved this book.
I will say the one downside was that it had sooooo many characters. It wasn't until about the 40% mark that I felt comfortable in knowing who everybody was and what their relationships were with each other. To be honest, I even started highlighting in the beginning because there were just so many names and with them being unusual, it was even harder for me to keep track.

That being said, I loved the story. It reminded me of the Vikings show on The History Channel. Si
Kristi
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Exciting Viking Saga

I enjoyed this book very much. While the warnings of graphic violence and sex are absolutely true I think it should also be made very clear that these scenes are not just in the book to shock or stimulate the reader. It's a fair depiction of the the mindset and practices at that time in history. I read this book in one sitting and will definitely read the next one. It is a fantastic translation and made reading effortless.
Janet
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more. The ancient scandanavian setting is one we rarely see in heroic fiction; the author treats the Norse gods as real and powerful; and the heroine, Sigrid, is a strong but not goody-goody invididual. Unfortunately, the underdeveloped primary characters keep it from being truly compelling.

Sigrid and Sweyn could have been fascinating, but all Hildebrandt shows us is their political ambition and their desire for each other. Even their family ties, which have dramatic c
Ellinor
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5/4

I don't really know what to say about this book, I enjoyed it. It had a nice story with a strong female character. I had a couple to ship, which was good haha. This book reminds me a bit of Game Of Thrones but with vikings :)
Sally906
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
If anyone is a fan of the TV series Vikings - then this book mirror's those times very well.

Like the show, life is uncomfortable (even for the ruling class), dirty and there was a lot of violent and blood thirsty scenarios' which your everyday Viking would have been quite at home with. Me? Well not so much. I spend much of the show with my eyes closed and shuddering - with the occasional tear shed at some unspeakable horror that has just taken place. The same with this book. Although this book i
Catherine
A compelling saga about a noble Viking family as they become embroiled in war and treachery. The Norse gods and lesser beings walk among the characters, adding a fantastical element that added to the richness of the story. Make no mistake - this isn't a sanitized look at Viking life in the 10th century. Extreme violence, slavery and rape are described often in this book, and in detail.
Molly
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Trigger warning: high levels of violence and disturbing rapes. Very well-written and engrossing book, but I wish someone had warned me of the trauma level within, because I may have avoided reading it. As it was, I couldn't stop reading, but the graphic violence will linger.
Melani
Reading books in translation is always a weird experience. I constantly wonder if there are shades of meaning that were lost in the translation, or how well the prose flowed in the original. That said, I'm unlikely to learn every single language, so I'll have to settle for translations.

I'm not sure how to classify this book either. It's historical fantasy/fiction, but the fantasy elements are things that the characters would have believed happened, and so you're left with the Beowulf quandary.
Heather
The Unbroken Line of the Moon There was a lot to love here, but also some places that require trigger warnings. Those would be for rape, gang rape, sex, and violence. The violence probably seems obvious because Vikings, the rape and gang rape weren't entirely expected for me. Despite the stories about the women enjoying a higher level of equality than most of their contemporaries, it will put you on edge about the treatment of their women even when they aren't being raped. Even with all that, th ...more
Olivia
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
"The Unbroken Line of the Moon" is an intense tale of the vikings, focusing on three main characters: Sigrid, Sweyn, and Emma. Sigrid is a princess of a tribe which is bargaining for peace by offering her in marriage to the man whose men killed her mother. She begins the book as a naive and arrogant teenaged girl who receives a sign from the gods which she interprets and intends to follow. She matures throughout the story. We learn early on that she is destined to be the mother of an important f ...more
Cath
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fine novel and giving it three stars doesn't mean I disliked it. I did enjoy it. There was just something missing from it to pack enough punch for me to really enjoy it. The story moved along nicely most of the time and I cared enough about the main characters but towards the end it felt rushed, as though everyone had to be in certain positions by the sequel.

Most of the time the translation was fine but there were a couple of redundant sentences (beauty and beautiful being mentioned q
Payal
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book! I dig Norse mythology and anything with Freya is my jam. However, this one wasn't what I expected. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros:
- The mythology was so well portrayed as was the religion.
- The clothing and hair styles as well as weapons and armor were well researched and well written.
- The clash between Christians and the old religion was interesting.
- The 'miracles' and Valkyries were easy enough to buy. As were the Seeress and witches.

Cons:
- So. Much. Viole
Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"The Unbroken Line of the Moon" by Johanne Hildebrandt

My Thoughts.....

This was a different kind of genre for me being a historical [Norse] mythology fiction read of the 'Vikings' [folk lore] however, I did find it a rather interesting read that did keep my attention of following Sigrid's Viking life. Be ready for a little bit of it all from
Tabby
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story based in Nordic beliefs. Enjoyed how the different story threads came together. Strong female lead who proved to be both smart and brave even when there appeared to be no hope left. Translation was smooth and easy to read.
Joyce Holsomback
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Easy ready

Main character is not very likable. Even tho she is suppose to be a strong woman. I think she should have had a story line that evolved her character more into the queen she becomes.
Tasha
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed following Sigrid's Viking life. Interesting folk lore and religious fever described throughout. Even the love story wasn't too cheesy. Would definitely read more by this author
Krista
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To clear up confusion, for the English translation this is the first book in the series, with only a second book to follow, Estrid. The original series is in Swedish goes by different names. That is the reason for the different series numbers listed for this book. Good fictional story of the battles people fought between the Old Gods and the Christian God.
Denise
Aug 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
I won a copy of this book thru the Goodreads Giveaways. Once I have read it I will give a full review.
Anna Rothman
The book is good but nothing more. Nice to read nordic mythology again!
Carole Rae
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was shockingly good. I didn’t expect to love this book. Why you may ask? Well…this was an Amazon freebie. It is for sure a hit or miss with anything that is free and especially Amazon book freebies. I except to either hate them or mildly enjoy them. This was one of those rare gems. I actually loved this.

This book follows a few characters, but the main character is Sigrid who is a devout believer in the old Nordic gods. The goddess Freya gives her little hints and guides her to her intended
Roberta Olson
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Unbroken Line of the Moon: Valhalla Book #1
(In the original Swedish, this is book #4 of the series.)
By Johanna Hildebrant

When the author is an award-winning war correspondent and the first woman elected into the Royal Swedish Academy of War Science, and she’s written a dramatic account of a legendary Viking woman, you have to at least read the sample.

Hildebrant has woven the stories of three intriguing characters. Starting with Sigrid the Haughty, a powerful woman from the tenth century and
Dianne
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-read-again, dnf

This book may not be for the squeamish or the younger crowd. It runs true to life for that time period and culture. There is raping, slavery and fighting, among other things some modern people don't want to think or read about. This is not a comfortable book to curl up with.

This was an interesting and very realistic look into the Viking's culture, politics, sex, religion, magic and myths. Not the kind that romance authors usually give us; but the down-and dirty, blood and guts, dirty, flea infes
Matt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Katie Cunningham
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this up under the Kindle First program, where it had been categorized as "Women's Historical Fiction." I figured that this was code for "Bodice ripper" and settled in for some sexy times on moonlit moors.

Um, I was mistaken. I'm still not sure what makes it "Women's Historical Fiction" besides one of the major character's being a woman.

That said, I still loved it. It's about vikings, and while it doesn't shy away from violence and rape and all the things one associates with vikings, it
Audrey Moberg
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

OK its graphic, sure, but it's so good! If you like the show Vikings you'd probably like this book. The worst part about it to me is that the next one isn't out until next October! Not for the faint of heart and if you're a militant Christian you might not like it as some of the other reviewers were crying about it. I really liked it and would recommend to anyone who likes this kind of thing. I didn't find it too graphic, myself, but people are weaklings now so I'm not surprised really
Pat
Mythology or history?

This book tells the story of Sigrid, Queen of Sweden, who married King Eric in the ninth century. Since I'm currently visiting Sweden, I wanted to learn more about the fascinating history and culture. It's the first book in a trilogy, and I'd be interested in reading the next volume in the series. Written by a Swedish author, it gives an interesting picture into Viking times, the battles between Kings and Jarls and clans or tribes, and seems to give some insight into the Sca
Nicole Romero chaidez
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED! Not sure if it's because I'm in the middle of the Vikings series, but I absolutely appreciated the study and detail of the Viking culture and gods and how the author presented it to the reader. True to Viking form (or my impression of it) there was war, love, hierarchy, deceit, and family presented in such a way as to engross the reader from the very beginning.

Hoping for another from this author!
Danielle
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was captivating and compelling throughout. I loved the characters (even the ones I want to see die a painful death). The plots are complicated and interwoven and it reminds me of history class in that you're seeing the many factors that play a role in events and decisions. The fact it involves Sweden and uses the terms fluidly in the writing is an extra bonus to me as a Swedish American. I can't wait for the other books.