Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Miraculous Miranda” as Want to Read:
Miraculous Miranda
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Miraculous Miranda

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  74 ratings  ·  19 reviews
I love Miranda and so will you - Eoin Colfer

Miranda has a Big Imagination, and always wins Word of the Day at school. When her sister Gemma is taken into hospital, Miranda escapes into her own fantasy land, Magnanimous. With giraffe police, ham sandwich trees and a Crystal-Clear Glass Hospital for Getting-Better Children, Magnanimous grows and grows. As her sister gets wo
...more
Hardcover, 160 pages
Published September 8th 2016 by Hodder Children's Books
More Details... Edit Details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Miraculous Miranda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miraculous Miranda

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Average rating 3.93  · 
Rating details
 ·  74 ratings  ·  19 reviews


More filters
 | 
Sort order
Start your review of Miraculous Miranda
Maria Carmo
If there ever was a delightful and very touching story, written in the first person, in the voice of a child whose' Sister is ill, is this one! The imaginary of this child is full of resourceful words and ideas, her creativity gets her the means to make real miracles happen! Worth reading, very touching and really beautiful.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 12 June 2019.
...more
Anca Rucareanu
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Miracolele Mirandei este o gură de aer proaspăt, un scuturat sănătos administrat de cei care ne pot readuce aminte de miracole și de cum am putea să ne bucurăm de ele. După Ethan, cel care am fost nu eram gata să mă întorc în lumea gri a oamenilor mari. Nu voiam să dau piept cu realitatea acestor zile. Am desenat un curcubeu cu fetele mele, am răsfoit cărțile din bibliotecă și am decis că întotdeauna avem nevoie de un miracol, dar mai ales acum. Și am știut că numai o carte pentru copii mi l-ar ...more
Laura Frunza
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
O carte emoționantă pentru copii în care autoarea nu se sfiește să abordeze subiecte precum moartea și boala dar dintr-o perspectivă naivă, a copilăriei. Miranda are o soră grav bolnavă, dar părinții nu discută cu ea despre asta. Miranda simte ca are multe de pierdut din cauza bolii surorii, ba chiar i s-a anulat și o petrecere de zi de naștere. E foarte sinceră cu privire la sentimentele ei față de soră: deși o iubește, detestă faptul că nu are parte de atenția părinților, că trebuie să ascundă ...more
Simona
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte minunată care m-a emoționat și de câteva ori m-a făcut să am ochii umezi. Am avut norocul să o întâlnesc și pe autoare și am simțit și mai bine atmosfera călduroasă pe care o transmite doamna Parkinson.

Miranda este o fetiță a cărei soră e destul de bolnavă, fapt pentru care deseori ea este neglijată de părinți și își petrece timpul cu bunica ei cât timp sora ei e la spital pentru diverse tratamente.

Mi-a plăcut foarte mult cartea deoarece este o combinație perfectă dintre inocența copilăr
...more
Karen Barber
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes a book comes along that is just beautiful...this was.
Miranda is a somewhat precocious young girl, used to living in her imagination.
A full review to come when I've properly reflected on this, but it was charming, and I think it would really appeal to the y6-8 readers.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
...more
Leslie
3.5-4 stars b/c we're going to admit my expectations got in the way.

I’m starting to reconsider reading jacket copy or blurbs—though Eoin Colfer is right: I do love Miranda. And I’m going to have to find more of Siobhán Parkinson’s work.

Let’s skip the jacket copy a moment which is [a bit] deceiving and open the book to the first paragraph—which is just as appealing.

“All right, then, I am not going to begin with a whole lot of boring explanations about who I am and what age I am and what my family
...more
Katie
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.25 stars
Aoife
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Really lovely little book. Adored every minute of it. Highly recommended.
Books_and_lilly
Mar 13, 2021 rated it liked it
MIRACOLELE MIRANDEI -SIOBHÁN PARKINSON
💜RATING: 3,5⭐/5⭐(NOTA 6)
💜MUSIC: SIA - MIRACLE
✒Trecând peste faptul că această autoare are numele Parkinson (cred că în țara ei nu are semnificația bolii așa cum e la noi🤔), cartea a fost drăguță.
✒E un middle grade de 155 de pagini, pe care l-am citit dintr-o "mișcare". E scrisă sub formă de "Dragă jurnalule" de către Miranda, protagonista noastră, care este o fetiță cu o imaginație bogată, isteață și amuzantă fără să vrea.
✒Ea ne relatează unele lecții de la
...more
Carmen Haselup
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story that celebrates the power of imagination and storytelling. The writing is stunning, unsurprisingly as Siobhan Parkinson was Ireland's first Children's Laureate. There are some wonderful characters and friendships that will really appeal to middle grade readers. What I particularly liked was that Miranda's sister's illness is never fully labelled, leaving it open for more children to directly associate with. This book is filled with positivity and passion and a child's hope. Jus ...more
Sofia Wheeler
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Linda
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great voice, and a compelling story of a girl who needs a miracle. Miranda keeps a record of the small miracles she envisions in her daily life, both successful and unsuccessful, and wonders how she might help her gravely ill sister.
MayorEmma
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was creative, sweet and I liked every second of it. Police giraffes are definitely an added plus!
Daisy Mawdsley-hall
OK not the best
Kalea August
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think Miraculous Miranda is a wonderful book. I like how creative Miranda is, I also like how much detail this story has I would recommend this to anyone who likes creativity.
Nikki Glassley
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Charming. Perfect for kids coping with the illness of a sibling or anyone, really.
Michelle
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-literature
loved Miranda and her quirky, imaginative personality. I could see some of the phrases/colloquialisms being tough for young readers to understand, but otherwise it was a miraculous ;) book.
Julietta Fonteyn
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a well written book from the point of view of a young girl with a sick sister. The language and the characterisation are great. I especially liked the bonkers Granny - reminds me of my own mother at times. The world she creates in her imagination is just wonderful. I would definitely recommend this for any age.
Clay
Nov 04, 2016 marked it as to-read
Toma Andreea Iulia
rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2020
Claire Hennessy
rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Patrícia Braz
rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2018
Kiki
rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2019
Sally
rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2019
Jenna Rausch
rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2019
Kara Decarlo
rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2019
Maria Radu
rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2021
Scissor Stockings
rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2020
Lisa Fipps
rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2020
Judy
rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »

Readers also enjoyed

  • Treasure Hunters (Treasure Hunters, #1)
  • Danger Down The Nile (Treasure Hunters, #2)
  • Secret of the Forbidden City (Treasure Hunters, #3)
  • Peril at the Top of the World (Treasure Hunters, #4)
  • Mihai I, regele-copil și pecețile de mărgean
  • Copilul E
  • The Someday Birds
  • The Extraordinary Colours of Auden Dare
  • The Woman in the White Kimono
  • The Great Diamond Chase (The Royal Rabbits of London #3)
  • Other Words for Home
  • Abel's Island
  • Nobilul Aeticus și o călătorie în jurul lumii
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Absolutely Almost
  • Kaștanka
  • Rătăciți în Paris
  • The Night Diary
See similar books…
Siobhán Parkinson is an Irish writer for both children and adults. Siobhán grew up in Galway and Donegal. Her books have won numerous awards and have been translated into several languages. She is currently a co-editor of Bookbird, the magazine of international children's literature organsation IBBY. She resides in The Republic of Ireland with her husband Roger Bennett and son Matthew. ...more

Related Articles

There's nothing like finding a great author before all your friends discover them. And that goes double for those savvy readers who discover a...
15 likes · 21 comments