Start by marking “A Girl in Black and White (Alyria #2)” as Want to Read:
A Girl in Black and White (Alyria #2)

A Girl in Black and White

(Alyria #2)

My once upon a time didn’t end with happily ever after—but with blood-stained hands and cold blue eyes. The story of my life had been laid beneath my feet since childhood, but until death, I’d never known that road was paved with stones called lies.

In this city of sun and heat, cloaked in dark, both inside and out, I became somebody other than Farm Girl. There was no assa
Published August 15th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about A Girl in Black and White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Girl in Black and White

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
** I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and I can’t thank Danielle Lori enough for giving me the opportunity to read her second book as well! XD **

Danielle you are awesome, I hope you know that!!! =)))

This said we can go right to the actual review! There is so much to say that I don’t even know where to begin, as always I’ll try my very best to write a coherent review though. ;-)

"There's something you should know, Grandmother. A lesson to put away in your books." The g
Carvanz
I absolutely begged Danielle Lori for an ARC of this book. I’ve never directly asked an author for an advanced copy and I have every intention of purchasing my own, but knowing this book was completed but not yet available for sale, I kinda went a little crazy.

Showcasing this author’s talents, A Girl in Black and White held the same charm as A Girl Named Calamity except now we are given a deeper look into what the nature of Calamity’s magic might be. I was a tad confused at the beginning because
Snow
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75 "there's no black and white in human nature" stars

Calamity Debonair's destiny was marked from her birth and the final predicament we were left with at the end of book 1, now shifted in the alternate world, where we are brought back or brought in, by a very smooth narrative nature of story telling, introducing us with the new world of Calamity's rebirth.
We were born as humans, rebirthed as a Shadow when we came of the age of ten, in a haunting ceremony of blood and death.

She's a witch.
Lučka

Ms. Lori is mean. Evil. I mean, who the hell ends the book like that!? *huffs*
description

For that I'm dropping one star. Yes, I'm petty like that.

I loved this book, it gave me the feels. The push and pull almost made me pull my hair out, but the chemistry was of the charts. I truly feel sorry for my man. But you know, he's only human and can't kill all the men that just glance at my way, like a certain Titan. But that possessive Titan. Mhm. *fans herself*

The characters did a 180. They're becoming more de

for reviews
a girl

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Suspense

4-stars

I was re-reading the previous book, A Girl Named Calamity, waiting for the paperback version of A Girl in Black and White to arrive at my doorstep, when the author kindly sent me an ebook version of it on my mail! yeah for small miracles!

I was a little confused at the beginning of the the book especially because of the way the last book ended. I mean major cliffhanger! But nonetheless that didn't last long and what I was reading were amazing.. I mean the prolog
Danielle
Aug 15, 2017 marked it as my-books  ·  (Review from the author)
⭐A GIRL IN BLACK AND WHITE IS LIVE!!⭐

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Smashwords
iBooks
Yasmin
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the author first offered to give me a free copy of her first book, I never expected to fall in love with it so much. The plot and characters intrigued me from the very beginning and now, I'm more in love with them.

Calamity definitely shows some growth in this book and I couldn't have been happier about it. Weston is still my favorite anti-hero. I'm so relieved that we got a few chapters in his POV. It definitely helped a lot, especially when it came to his feelings for Calamity.

We get SOME
Wopsywoobookblog
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Why? Why do I start series that aren't completed! Why do I do this to myself? I've just finished A Girl in Black and White, the second book in the Alyria series and for some reason I got it into my head that this would be the completion of the story. It wasn't and I'm so frustrated, but more than that I'm devastated.

This series has gotten under my skin, I started this book in the morning and by 7.30 at night I'd finished it. That's how much this series is drawing me in. It has its clutches firm
Caldwell Publishing
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I had to sum up my thoughts on A Girl in Black and White in two words it would go a little something like this: More please. Three words? Gimme, gimme more. You get the point.

The best part about this book is that it delivers on all the promises of the first book and then some, already providing so much more than I could have ever hoped for. More Weston sexyness. More Calamity badassness. More world building. More action. Higher stakes.

I was hooked from the get go, which is no surprise conside
Jenjaime
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GUYS!!! this book was absolutely amazing!! and OK I'll stop screaming now but seriously I have the biggest book hangover right now. Usually, I'm a little nervous going into the second book of a book series because sometimes the second book just falls flat for me especially if I loved the first book (which I did) but not with A Girl in Black and White. I would even say that I loved it a llitttlle bit more that the first one and it may have something to do with a certain someone named Weston. Anyw ...more
Michelle
5 Stars!!
Loved this book!! It’s the best series I’ve read in a long time! I can’t wait for the next book to be here!
T.L. Martin
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And suddenly your name fits you better than it ever has.

What a fantastic follow up to A Girl Named Calamity.

“Calamity?”
“What?”
A long pause.
“Tick tock.”

The main word that comes to mind when I think of this book (in comparison to the first) is probably: more. More mystery, more answers, more magic, more humor, more steaminess, more Weston (yumm) . . . and all this while it's also a little darker.

There were definitely unexpected elements in this book, and that's one of the things I enjoyed the mo
Tina H
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"My name was Calamity. And soon enough, the whole world would know it."

Ms. Danielle Lori, I freaking loved it!!!

I have been waiting for this and it was so worth the wait!!

I don't want to give too much away but I will say that truths are revealed, pieces start to come together and we find out a little more about who and what Calamity and Weston truly are.

That ending though...wow!! Didn't see that coming!!

If you haven't read A Girl Named Calamity (Alyria #1), please do and then you must rea
Uzma
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I read "A Girl Named Calamity" I knew it was gonna rub some people the wrong way, cuz Calamity struggles and is confused and so are the readers, she's kept in the dark, she is put down by everyone and treated like she's nothing more than a liability. It pissed me off too but I knew she'd fight back cuz she does every step of the way; even though she's young and naïve, she keeps pushing. A Girl in Black and White is Calamity taking charge, it's her fighting back in every sense of the way all ...more
D.C. Triana
His eyes narrowed, in almost amused suspicion. “You never knew what was good for you.”
“And you do?” I countered.
He stepped forward, raising his arms above me, and grasping the net-completely boxing me in. My heart thumped at the proximity, my skin vibrating with anticipation.
“I’d say I have a better idea, yea.”

To be honest, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. I literally read it in one sitting it was so good. Ms. Lori does not disappoint. The fantasy worlds she creates grip your atten
Cecily Wolfe
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OH, wow - I've been waiting for this one a long time and it was soooo worth the wait! While I love the fantasy/magic aspect of this incredibly intriguing story, it is the characters and their relationships that make this a standout tale. Calamity is tough, and she has to be with the knowledge and abilities she has since she knows she can be taken advantage of, but she can't help falling for the man who is haunted by his own dark secrets. This is full of emotional and physical tension that just k ...more
Chrissi
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Firstly, if you haven't read the first book A Girl Named Calamity, then get to it!!!
Secondly, you know sometimes when you read a series, the books following the first can be disappointing??? Well... believe me, this is NOT the case in this series!
This book is amazing!! With rich characters and plot twists that will leave your head spinning, you can't help but be sucked into the world the author created. The only disappointing thing about this series so far is that we have to wait for book 3!!!
Catherine  Wright (Cat's Guilty Pleasure)
I was so glad to get started on this book, I just couldn't put it down. There were so many unexpected things in this book. it kept me on my toes and turning the pages just so I could see what was going to happen. I can not wait for the next book, I just have to know what will happen and get the answers to my questions I am left with.
Ana
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok I really enjoyed book 1 so I thought what the hell lets do book 2 .. well 😓 quite disappointed this book it felt like it was going around in circles but then it picked up towards the end of the book and also ended with another cliff hanger seriously ... tell the bloody story already 😤 I really wanted to know how it ends as I enjoyed the story line but if book 3 is anything like book 2 then no thank u !
R.G.
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the first book, but wow this one was a total step up. It’s nearly a year after the end of the first book, and a lot has happened in this time, and during such Calamity has clearly matured. She’s also started figuring out her powers, as well as the truth about her life, her mother, and all the plans her grandmother had for her. While it initially bothered me how much of the first book turns out to be a facade, hiding basically all of the truth and everyone’s intentions to the ext ...more
Sheila Schwartz
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Should be ten stars!! Ms. Lori's epic sequel is even more entrancing with our deepest desires finally coming to fruition just to be betrayed and an unholy alliance exposed! These developments are so poignantly and descriptively written that the deceptive and heartbreaking consequences are literally breath stealing and so emotionally startling that I swear I screamed aloud and swore very unbecomingly. I am so invested in these characters that I felt my heart break and I feel a great deal of trepi ...more
Heidi Hepburn
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok honestly fucking gag at the cover and title but oh my god this book literally changed me
Clarice
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ending of this book blew my mind!! I so was not expecting that! What was that?? The pieces are all beginning to fall into place in book two. Calamity's fate, who she really is, and who Weston really is are just a few things that truths are being revealed about. Calamity is not exactly who many think she is. She is infinitely more dangerous in ways. And those who have an inkling of it are out for their own agendas. Sometimes that seems to include Weston. But he is a strange one. He has many l ...more
Joanne
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calamity was a witch. A nieve witch. She reminded me of the story about Goldilocks with a little bit of the big bad wolf from Little Red Riding Hood. I can't lie, I enjoyed the book but not as much as the first. The same repeating pattern continuously occurred. She chased him. He denied her but led her on... Rinse repeat until finally the deed is done then again, it starts. The ending was worth the long read. I'm still debating whether the ending was enough to save this series and make me read t ...more
Ashabeth
I had fun reading this book! The first chapter really threw me. I had to read back to to the first book to see if I remembered the ending correctly I was so confused. I enjoyed the new side to Calamity and her connection with new characters.

The story was hard to follow at times. Lots of shifting thoughts, which made it hard to understand where the scene was going and who was talking. Weston’s point of view came at the right time. I look forward to the next book and how he uses his powers and he
Jolie
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can’t even begin to tell you guys how excited I was to read this book. I had loved A Girl Named Calamity. Loved it. I had high expectations with A Girl in Black and White. Guess, what. This book blew my expectations out of the water.

Calamity came back from the dead. Not a lot was said about how she came back but she did. When she did, she discovered that her grandmother had been lying to her about everything. From why she wore the silver cuffs to her mother to why she was sent out of her home
Erin Nelson
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5 "Princess" Stars!

UHHH. God It's been forever since I've read a decent NA Fantasy novel and this one was great! Before I get into the review I just want to say I read the first and second book back to back because they were that good. So if you haven't read them then please do so because you are missing out my friend!

With that being said lets jump in...

Can I just start off and say that I am in love with Danielle Lori's writing style. There are many authors out there that I love but some
Elena Leman
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
I bought this book a second after having finished the first part, A Girl Called Calamity. I just couldn't wait to see what would happen next. At first, I was a bit confused but also intrigued because Danielle slowly gives away the details of Calamity's coming back to life. And how lovely! It appears that our favourite femme fatal's resurrection begins her initiation as a witch! I'm deeply satisfied with the character development this sweet peasant girl has come through. She's not a helpless crea ...more
MiraJane
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent sequel to A girl named Calamity. I did not expect to like it as much as I did, mainly because the romance disappointed me a bit in the first book. A girl in black and white however, made up for the lacking romance ten fold. I absolutely loved the chemistry and drama between Calamity and Weston and I was amazed at what an improvement the second book was to the first.

My main problems with the first book was the lack of romance and character development. It felt like the story
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Danielle Lori’s novels incorporate morally questionable heroes, electric hate to love relationships, and sometimes sweet but mostly sassy heroines. She has written in both the fantasy subgenre as well as contemporary, but will never stray from romance.

A normal day for her includes coffee, bodice rippers, and 1990s chick flicks. She lives in small-town Iowa with her husband and too many dogs.

Email:

Alyria (3 books)
  • A Girl Named Calamity (Alyria #1)
  • A Girl with a Tragic Ever After (Alyria #3)