Start by marking “Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3” as Want to Read:
Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3

Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3

Python for Everybody is designed to introduce students to programming and software development through the lens of exploring data. You can think of the Python programming language as your tool to solve data problems that are beyond the capability of a spreadsheet.

Python is an easy to use and easy to learn programming language that is freely available on Macintosh, Windows,
Published July 10th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Python for Everybody, please sign up.
Robin Banks This was the greatest weakness of the book. It was laser focused on data mining and analysis. In the early chapters that was OK, but it grew old as I …moreThis was the greatest weakness of the book. It was laser focused on data mining and analysis. In the early chapters that was OK, but it grew old as I want to use Python for science and engineering. For those areas, there was little help. The same for graphic presentation.(less)

Start your review of Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3
Eszter
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book for the principles in Python programming. One of the best books I ever read for acquiring a new programming language.
Steven Dyk
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good intro to Python. Best with the related Coursera classes

Good intro to Python. Great companion and resource for the Coursera Python courses. The author and instructor is a master, making it easy to learn basic programming principles and Python.
Johan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, ict
If you want to find out if programming (in python) is something for you, than this book is it. You can download the book and sample code for free from https://www.py4e.com and there you will also find the videos for this course, for free. If you don’t want to do it on your own, you can follow this course on Coursera. It took me 2 months to finish this book, but that is because I started a couple of python projects of my own (downloading cryptocurrencies data and my data from Duolingo). The durat ...more
Md. Jamal Uddin
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Well planned python programming book for beginners to be a fluent python programmer.
Thanks, Dr. Chuck for lots of free materials and awesome content.
Fawaz Abdul rahman
Quite good one for total beginners in programming, focuses mainly on data exploring.
each chapter is somewhat short and contains no advanced vocabulary, totally making it suitable for all readers.
with examples and excersizes, a perfect book to enter the world of python if you have no knowledge of programming before.
and the book explains each termenology if it is not so common.
last few chapters also good entry to web and network, and for sure all topics discussed in this book required from your
Tim Moore
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I read the book while taking the related online classes. The book provide a good review of the basics. I was a little disappointed in the level of detail that JSON and SQLite was covered but it was sufficient to get me started.
geoffrey jenkins
I consider myself a self taught computer and information geek,I built my first computer from parts ordered through Newegg and Parts geek,
this book on Python programming is awesome,
Santiago
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a great book for absolute beginners in programming. Concepts are explained in very easy terms, and there are some simple exercises that can be done for comprehension. I used this book as a companion for the 'Python for Everybody' specialization in Coursera. Do note, however, that the book is extremely light on Computer Science and many times touches things with quite a bit of superficiality. Anybody who's programmed a bit will find this well structured by lacking depth. ...more
Scott
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best intro/intermediate books on python and programming I've read. This book does it all. I also took the companion series of courses through Coursera that covers the chapters section by section. Between the book and the course, it really speaks plainly to you about programming and solving particular problems. ...more
Jaime Olmos
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: engineering
Dr. Severance (aka dr chuck) has made a tremendous contribution to the software engineering (geek:>)) community!
The quality of his material (book and lectures) is outstanding: stimulating, didactical, entertaining and relevant.
His book and classes are available free!
It does not get any better than that!
John Adams
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to Python

This book covers the basics well and then it goes on to explore real world use cases. It lives up to it's title and intended purpose. I will be reading something more indepth next but I just might read this one a second time.
Helen Mary Labao Barrameda
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I wish I read this 4 years ago and saved myself some lessons learned the hard way. Brilliantly written and beginner friendly without sacrificing depth and quality. Anyone who wants to learn Python beyond being a script kiddie can benefit from this resource.
Bálint
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book wanted to do too much. It is a good overview for people who know a few things about programming (but too long for that), other than that, it's just too scattered. ...more
Arul Kumaravel
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good introductory book

This is a good first book for someone learning to do programming. It teaches Python step by step by using simple examples.
Letitzia
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good for non programmers and programmers alike.
Shivam Gangwani
Great for fundamentals. Shaky as soon as it dives networks, regular expressions, databases and OOP.
Robin Banks
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-math
I picked this book because it was far cheaper than any alternative. I learned a lot, though I stopped half-way through because the focus, data mining, was not my interest. For the early chapters, and ideas, this was fine. "Dr. Chuck" as he calls himself presented the information well and enjoyably. There were homework problems too, and programs at an appropriate level with enough frustration but not too much, so I did the problems (this is important, otherwise you don't learn the subject). It he ...more
James McGhee
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book and set of videos either through Coursera or the author’s own site at py4e.com, where you can do the exercises without paying Coursera. Explains the basics and concepts well, but falls short in prompting with good practice projects, which you can often solve by modifying the code discussed in the chapter rather than having to apply it in a novel way, which I think would help more with learning.

That said, I used this with another source that was more “sink or swim,” and the grasp
Kyle Becker
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good base, but then moves fast

Wish I would have programmed along. But overall was happy with the basic understanding of the interplay between data and programming described here. I need a case to work on and then I will be ready to dig in.
Octavio
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book to learn Python

The author uses simple, but very powerful examples to teach you how to program applications for your normal activities. This book uses Python 3.

You will enjoy learning how to program.
Kirill
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great!

Together with p4e website and Coursera lectures taught me a lot of Python. I started as a complete noob and finished with a working program that created a nice visualization for my needs.
مديحة حوري
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: بايثون
I just finished reading the book. A good practical introduction to Python & great companion and resource for the Coursera Python courses (1+2+3+4+5). The author and instructor is a master, making it easy to learn basic programming principles and Python.
Monty Bates
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tough Book on Kindle

I had difficulties trying to follow along on the Kindle and using my laptop. The words were too small for me and I had to squint. Maybe if I had bought this in hard copy it would have gone better. It seemed to me this book is more intermediate than beginner.
Mayur Sinha
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
I read the python2 version of the book in 2013 and it was incredible when I started learning Python. The python3 version is nonetheless amazing for all sorts of people if they are starting to learn Python or programming in general.
Gary
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-books
A good text with a lot of great support files to reference.
Nadja
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very basic
Shiang-Ping Hao
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Intro to Python language

It covers all the basics of the language and teaches you how to program using the newly learned semantics. Good read.
Ahmed Shahwan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, python
This book is very very good for python beginners, especially programming newcomers. It explains the programming concepts in a very illustrative way. I highly recommend it.
Harrison Mateika
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, textbook
Excellent book that taught me the essentials of Python and back-end programming. A long way to go before I have mastery of the language, but this was a great starter book.
Joy Ahmed
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice and Clear Explanation of The Beauty of Python.

• Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Think Python
  • Python Tricks: A Buffet of Awesome Python Features
  • Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code (Zed Shaw's Hard Way Series)
  • Deep Learning with Python
  • Django for Beginners: Learn web development with Django 2.0
  • Graph Theory With Applications To Engineering And Computer Science
  • A Byte of Python
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor (The Carls, #2)
  • The Linux Command Line Beginner's Guide
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Python Workbook: Learn How to Quickly and Effectively Program with Exercises, Projects, and Solutions
  • HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites
  • Python by Example: Learning to Program in 150 Challenges

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Charles is a Clinical Associate Professor and teaches in the School of Information at the University of Michigan. He also works with the IMS Global Learning Consortium promoting and developing standards for teaching and learning technology. He also works for Longsight as Sakai Chief Strategist. Previously he was the Executive Director of the Sakai Foundation and the Chief Architect of the Sakai Pr ...more

News & Interviews