Start by marking “Luisa: Ici et là” as Want to Read:
Luisa: Ici et là

Luisa: Ici et là

D’un côté, il y a Luisa, 33 ans, photographe culinaire célibataire et incapable de vivre plus de quelques semaines avec un homme. De l’autre, Luisa, 15 ans, des rêves plein son sac à dos, une folle envie de trouver l’amour et de vivre de la photographie… Mais aussi des sentiments inassumés pour Lucie, sa copine homosexuelle.

Un récit initiatique à rebours, qui entraîne le
Published May 4th 2016 by La boîte à bulles

To ask other readers questions about Luisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luisa

Start your review of Luisa: Ici et là
David Schaafsma
A queer romance (of sorts) by Carole Laurel, adapted by Mariko Tamaki. Luisa, living alone at 32, meets her 15 year old self and the focus is on sexuality and coming out and acceptance. But it's sweet, takes its time, and has a loveable cast of characters and some romantic intrigue to go with a side of facing that mother-daughter history.

Of course the time travel-identity story is familiar, played for laughs in Back to the Future, and I am reading Paper Girls where the girls meet themselves in
Sam Quixote
In the tradition of wacky body swap fantasies like Freaky Friday and Big (still Tim Honks’ best movie) comes the story of a grouchy 33 year old who meets her 15 year old self somehow! They fight, They bite, They bite and fight and bite, Bite, bite, bite, Fight, fight, fight, The Itchy and Scratchy Show Luisa: Now and Then! But, y’know, slightly more serious because LGBT stuff.

It’s an ok book. I admired Carole Maurel’s art more than her writing. I loved the coloured washes she used and the line
Eilonwy
Every adult has probably fantasized at some point about going back in time and telling something important to our teen selves, something that will put us on track for the life we think we “should” be having now instead of the one we’ve actually got . In this scenario, we’d be in control: we remember being Teen Self; we know where to find ourself; we remember the technology of the time (or the lack thereof); and we know exactly what Teen Self needs to hear.

But what if your Teen Self has
Erica

I enjoyed the art quite a bit and I liked what the story was trying to do, I just felt it was jerky and clunky. It didn't evoke the feelings in me I'd expected for a story about past self meeting with future self and both selves having some hard realizations.

Some of my dissatisfaction could be chalked up to translation. Despite this being adapted by Mariko Tamaki, the charm that may be present in the original production doesn't come across fluidly here.

We have this in the adult section
Elizabeth A
Here's a thought experiment for you: Bring your 15 year old self to mind. Can you see that person clearly, or have they become fuzzy and faded with time? Now imagine your 32 year old self walking down the street and bumping into your 15 year old self. How would that feel? What would your younger self feel about you and your life choices? Have you lived up to expectations?

I love the premise of this graphic novel, but the execution was rather uninspired. This is adapted and translated, and it felt
Julie Ehlers
Luisa is one of those books that makes me glad I started checking graphic novels out from the library instead of buying so many of them. This was fun and I liked the art, but it was a pretty standard coming-out story crossed with a fairly typical "what-would-your-younger-self-think-of-adult-you"/13 Going on 30–style plotline. I enjoyed reading it and I'm sure others would relate to it more than I did, but on the whole I don't think this is going to leave much of an impact on me.
Rod Brown
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This gentle time travel fantasy is my favorite graphic novel of 2018 so far.

A thirtysomething woman opens the door to her apartment, comes face to face with her teenage self, and is appalled at what a mess she once was. The teenage girl sees the same door as opening onto a future that is unimaginably awful.

Maurel weaves a moving tale full of regrets, disappointments and self-discovery as both versions of Luisa struggle with their common dreams, realities and sexuality.

This book has the full
vanessa
I really liked the concept and art here, though some parts were a bit predictable or felt stilted/forced. It's a nice coming-of-age story with a time traveling twist. Overall, it was fun and I liked the ending.
Tatiana
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this in english but couldn't find that version available on Goodreads.

I rather enjoyed this time traveling-esque story about sexuality and self acceptance.
Kelly Hager
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the last book I got at ALA and the first one I read. I'm a new fan of graphic novels and this one sounded amazing.

It's incredibly specific (Luisa---at both ages---is someone who's not entirely sure who she is or what she wants) but I think it's also universal. Many of us can probably relate to the idea that we aren't who we thought we'd be when we became adults. Some of us have better lives, sure, but there are probably also major disappointments that our teenage self would have to cope
Derek Royal
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A high-concept narrative. And intriguing. There are two or three parts that verge on the predictable, but otherwise, a strong work.
Bandit
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is entirely possible my enjoyment of this graphic novel was thoroughly colored by the fact that it was read outside on a nice day with my fiancé (which is a lovely way to read graphic novels) and the fact that it’s been a minute since I’ve read any graphic novels at all. And I liked them. A lot. This one, in and of itself, wasn’t in any way revolutionary or even outstanding, but it was very well done. I didn’t select it or knew a thing about it going in. It turned out to be a coming of age/ ...more
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art in this is so gorgeous, and the story is interesting and moving too. It’s weird and unique — it takes the idea of meeting your past self but makes it really literal, like what would happen logistically. I also normally wouldn’t like how absurdly combative everyone is (they’re constantly yelling at each other), but it honestly feels very true to life that you’d be extremely annoyed by everything your teenage self did and said, and that your teenage self would judge you/be disgusted by all ...more
laura (bookies & cookies)
Ya gotta love reading gay books during Pride. Through *mysterious events,* a woman comes face to face with her 15 year old self, as well as her internalized homphobia against herself and learns to love who she love again/
f/f
Kirsten
I wasn't too sure about this one as I was finishing it, but it's sort of blooming in my mind as I consider it. It's a fantastic example of a story that works better as a graphic novel than it would in any other medium.
Anna (Bananas)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, lgbtqia, f-f
This was wonderful, both the story and the art.
Amy!

I loved the art in this. Maurel draws people beautifully, while also maintaining an almost sketchiness to them, and I found it really compelling.

The story was good, and I liked the idea of Teen Luisa and Adult Luisa figuring out who she is together, even though they actually didn't do anything but fight. Which is my biggest complaint about the story, honestly, is that everyone in it, but both Luisas in particular, are so hostile and combative. It was a little exhausting to read, and
Eszti
As we're really close to Budapest Pride, I think this was just a perfect choice. Luisa: Now and Then made its way to my hands at my workplace, and I started it solely because Mariko Tamaki's name was on the cover. It did not disappoint, however. The story is about a 33-year-old woman, Luisa, who lives in Paris, France, and one day her 15-year-old self visits her. It turns out they have a lot to talk about: acceptance, self-love and life among them, and I think they might teach us some things ...more
Ryan Mishap
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
A delightfully drawn tale that relates something many of us have probably wished: that we could go back in time to talk to our younger self, or the converse.

To say this plays out realistically is a complement to a story involving impossible fantasy, and what the Luisas learn about themselves is the very stuff of good fiction.
Maia
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
Set in Paris in 2013, this graphic novel focuses on a woman named Luisa who at 33 has to deal with the queer identity she has been suppressing for decades when her own teenage-self travels forward in time and lands on her doorstep. Her teen self is outraged that she has compromised her desire to be a fine-art photographer by doing primarily food-photography for advertising; confused as to why she barely communicates to her mother; but most of all sad and angry that she lost touch with the one ...more
Dakota Morgan
Luisa: Now and Then has some really great things to say about coming to terms with your sexuality, but it does so with a very unpleasant main character in Luisa. So, while I appreciated Luisa's journey, I kind of avoided reading her rage-fueled dialogue. Unfortunately, she has a lot of dialogue, the majority of it with her younger self. The time travel conceit is a little contrived, but it works - young and old Luisa both experience growth and encounter a few, very necessary comic scenarios. ...more
Tib
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
If you could talk to your younger self face to face, what would you say?
Well, this book explores just that when Luisa's teenage self somehow shows up on the door step of adult Luisa one day.

The art in this book is absolutely beautiful. The concept of the story is super interesting and very powerful. Adult Luisa? Yeah, didn't really care for her. She spent most of the page time shouting and belittling her younger self, and I guess maybe that's the point but it really put me off. Other than
Katy
The empathy and horror that fills me at the idea of coming face to face with my 15 year old self is so deeply tender yet painful, and I carried that cringe-y feeling with me throughout this book. I wasn’t sure right away, despite the wonderful art work and multi dimensional characters- Luisa isn’t very likeable at first, and is in fact kind of a jerk to herself. But there is a brilliant progression here. This book has an incredible emotional intelligence and it’s well worth a read. 4.5/5 stars
Izzie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What would I tell my 15 year old self if I had the chance? Maybe the expectations and voices of others wouldn't have mattered to me as much. Maybe I would stop worrying about putting on an "image" for others if I knew what I know now.

While many situations of homophobia (whether internalized, with general public, with biological families) are often over-dramatized in stories/media, I thought the interactions between characters were realistic enough and did not add unnecessary "drama". It also did
Kristi
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the art style and the overarching story, but the writing and dialogue were just ok.
Adriana
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-gn, lgbtqi
3.5 decent story, nice artwork but a bit underwhelming in it's telling.
Brittany
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2019
A reiterated story to be sure, though a highly enjoyable one with excellent drawing to boot.
Chelsey
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Art is phenomenal, I just felt the story felt a little bit cookie cutter.
Paolo
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little queer magical realism and a few revelations from a teenage self. What's not to love?
Judaye
I found it to be formulaic with nothing interesting plugged into it. Maybe it was better in French.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please combine those books? 3 15 May 02, 2018 01:06AM

• Écumes
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Betty Boob
  • Home After Dark
  • Coyote Doggirl
Carole Maurel worked as a graphist and animator for TV programs, before she published her first graphic novel Les Chroniques Mauves, a collective work about the lesbian community. She has since published several graphic novels, always a characteristic mix of feminine sensibilities and humor.