Start by marking “Conflict on Kangaroo Island” as Want to Read:
Conflict on Kangaroo Island

Conflict on Kangaroo Island

Conflict on Kangaroo Island takes place in 1913 in South Australia, when talk of war in Europe is intensifying, and Germany is both customer and potential enemy of the island’s resources. Mystery and suspense, history and fascinating characters form an enthralling whole.

‘You certainly have a habit of nosing your way into other people’s business!’ Sergeant Lawrence of the
Published July 20th 2016 by Yellow Teapot Books

To ask other readers questions about Conflict on Kangaroo Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conflict on Kangaroo Island

Start your review of Conflict on Kangaroo Island
C.W. Lovatt
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In "Conflict on Kangaroo Island" we find ourselves following the ever curious Pansy Pearce as she faces challenge after challenge in her struggle to be her own person in the years leading up to the Great War - a time when the rigid strictures of the Victorian era were much stronger than they were just a few years later, after the armistice had been signed.
This novel by Stephen Crabbe had me guessing throughout as the plot unfolded, and I'm happy to say that I was wrong every time! Great
Bob Rich
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
1913. War looming. While Kangaroo Island off the South Australian coast was fairly isolated, it was still part of the unfolding events. However, international tensions are merely background to the story.

Focus is on a remarkable young woman, 23 year old Pamela, AKA Pansy. She is taller than most men, fit and athletic. In fact, she has made special clothes for herself that allow her to run in the near-privacy of a beach; remarkable for the times, but believable. She is way too intelligent and
Dean Mayes
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Conflict on Kangaroo Island by Stephen Crabbe is a luminous work of fiction that is couched in a vivid and very real pre-WW1 setting. Students of South Australian history would do well to visit the situations and characters in Crabbe's work as they are accurate facsimiles of a tumultuous period in the young colony's history.

Having visited Kangaroo Island myself many times over the years, I was particularly taken with Crabbe's vivid portrayal of the wild and largely untamed Island. He has infused
Carolyn
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting look at Kangaroo Island just prior to WW1. I lived In Australia and later travelled there twice, and this book made me sad I that I had never visited Kangaroo Island. The descriptions gave me a fairly good sense of place, but I rarely felt connected with the time period.
The character of the young, strong, independent Pansy Pearce was very well developed and believable. She aims to help and protect those having troubled lives. As a result she is considered an interfering
Mare
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book took me straight to Kangaroo Island and held me tightly until the very end. The characters are fresh, well written, and easy to follow. I would recommend this book for anyone who would like a glimpse of a bygone era in a most satisfying way.
Kathryn Pentecost
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Living near Kangaroo Island, I could not resist reading Crabbe's novel set in 1913, which thrusts a strong female character into the spotlight. Then, as now, Kangaroo Island was/is a tourist hotspot - but lesser known is the indigenous cosmology or the fact that the Germans purchased (in great quantities) yacca gum to use in the manufacture of ammunition before WWI.

Pansy Pearce is a strong female character - always going into bat for the underdog. She tries to liberate herself from the moral and
Meredith Whitford
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good, entertaining book that gives a vivid portrayal of pre-WW1 society and mores on Kangaroo Island -- a beautiful place I haven't visited often enough. Strong characters and a compelling story make this an excellent read.
Brigid Gallagher
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read the story on a cruise ship heading to Kangaroo Island. Upon landing I was plunged into an atmosphere of remoteness with a sense of familiarity. The museum caretaker confirmed the island's history, Stephen so vividly described, and the young woman who served me in the coffee shop bore such a striking resemblance to the character Pansy, I felt I knew her.
Stephen cleverly threads prejudice in many forms throughout the story, causing me to wonder if I would have had Pansy's courage in
Jess Hughes
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story isn't only about the tumultuous strife between city scientists, who want to preserve the pristine indigenous flora and fauna of Kangaroo Island, and the farmers and laborers who depend on the crops, especially, the Australian yacca plant, for their living, but also the victims of prejudice and social injustice.

The story takes place on Kangaroo Island, off the coast of south Australia and the capital city of Adelaide. The year is 1913 and although Australia is thousands of miles from
Pamela Keightley
Mireya Schmidt
Oct 23, 2019

• The Hawaiians: by Steve Stelle
  • Forgiven
  • La estación de las flores en llamas (Trilogía de Nueva Zelanda, #1)
  • The Promise of Pain (Thomas Berrington #7)
  • The Mudlark Orphan