Start by marking “Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites” as Want to Read:
Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites

Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  2,199 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
Deb Perelman, award-winning blogger and New York Times best-selling author of The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, understands that a happy discovery in the kitchen has the ability to completely change the course of your day. Whether we’re cooking for ourselves, for a date night in, for a Sunday supper with friends, or for family on a busy weeknight, we all want recipes that are ...more
Published October 24th 2017 by Knopf

Julie Ehlers
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
I'm a devoted fan of the Smitten Kitchen cooking blog. Every recipe I've tried from the site has been a success (if I do say so myself), and many of them are now in my permanent repertoire. But I wasn't as fond of the first Smitten Kitchen cookbook (imaginatively titled The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook). I see I gave it four stars here on Goodreads, but I'm pretty sure that was due to a combination of the book's physical beauty (Deb Perelman is also an amazing food photographer) and my love for the ...more
farmwifetwo
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Gave up about half way through. Been a number of years since I followed her blog but saw this book was out and got it from the library.

I find her recipes to be complicated, and not practical both in the time required, the materials to assemble and their general ease to make. Not just to actually make the recipes but also to read them. One day, Mom and I plan to make her black bread... one day.
Leigh Kramer
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another winner from Smitten Kitchen! I enjoy reading SK because Deb's recipes are part attainable and part aspirational. Deb's pure love and enjoyment of food bursts off the page and you can't help but catch her enthusiasm. I'm probably never going to grill squid or make my own flatbread but I love reading about her process. I read cookbooks for inspiration and to get me out of cooking my usual recipes. To that end, I'm especially looking forward to making the red lentil soup, kale Caesar with b ...more
Laura McLoughlin
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
So I've only had this cookbook for about 3 days and I've only made one of the recipes (Wild Mushroom Shepherd's Pie) but it was super delicious! Really just about everything in here looks amazing and I can't wait to try some more recipes!
Rachel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
It's been a few years but I remember enjoying the original Smitten Kitchen cookbook, although I never purchased it for my collection. So I was eager to try out the new one after seeing good reviews.

My normal testing process is to focus on one cookbook for a month or two trying out different recipes and working them into our weekly meal plans. I didn't get to try as much as I'd like of this one, but here is what I tried below:

Spinach and Goat Cheese Slab Frittata, p. 13 - This was great. I serv
Gretchen Alice
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic Smitten Kitchen. I read through all of Deb's recipe intros and as always, they were warm and funny and insightful. I'm gonna start cooking my way through this weekend, starting with the blueberry muffins.
Clwseattle
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I checked out Smitten Kitchen Every Day from our wonderful King County Library System. I confess I have never read (watched??) The Smitten Kitchen, but my dear sister is a fan so I expected to love this book. I did not.

I feel Smitten Kitchen Every Day is just too pretentious by half. I absolutely believe she makes these recipes for her lovely family, but there are a grand total of three that caught my interest.

The cover claims "triumphant & unfussy new favorites". There is nothing unfussy
Diana
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A beautiful book with some delicious looking recipes. Just...if I'm being honest...though it was subtitled "unfussy new favourites", I personally need a cookbook that's a little more simple/unfussy.
Ashley
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really any recipes that appealed to me & definitely none that could be useful as an add on to my day to day meals. Just too over the top for my tastes.
Miss Clark
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-baking
Lovely photographs accompany each recipe - which is strictly essential for me as a very visual person - along with a brief description of how Perelman came to try it, recreate it, or some other personal note. Usually these anecdotes and cook's notes are easily skipped over, but I found her stories charming and funny. She acknowledges that life happens and the fancy recipe you set out to make sometimes has to change or your family situation shifts and you accommodate your cooking to meet that.

All
Jeanie Phillips
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This cookbook is a winner for sure. I enjoy Perelman's anecdotes about cooking and eating, and her photography is killer. But for a cookbook to get my approval, the recipes have to be solid. We have cooked and enjoyed many from this book already, and will return again and again to these:
-kale caesar salad- delish! (my son could have eaten the whole bowl himself)
-red lentil soup - the addition of curry leaves made this dal like soup perfect
-grilled yogurt flatbreads - yum! and super easy, was gre
Manisha
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
PROS:
- pictures of every recipe
- for the same reason i've loved her blog for the last 8 years i've been a reader - i feel like i'm reading recipes written by a friend, i love the narration in her recipe intros
- pictures of every recipe!!!!
- lots of cool vegetarian mains
- would make probably 90% of what's in the book (i'm not that into butternut squash or sweet breakfast foods womp womp)
- PICTURES OF EVERY RECIPE!!!!

CONS:
- after making a couple recipes and skimming the rest, i can tell that s
Penny Ramirez
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, skimmed
Oh yeah. I was leaning toward buying this one without looking at it first, because Smitten Kitchen, but then once I started drooling over the photos and descriptions I knew it had to be part of my collection. Then, to my amazement, I discovered that I'd made one of these recipes (chocolate pecan slab pie) for Christmas! So yeah - adding it to a cart right now.... Thanks, Deb!
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this is a great book; I marked several recipes to try in the weeks to come, including a mouthwatering artichoke parmesan galette, a carrot miso dressing I hope is like the one I loved in Seattle, and a potato-asparagus salad with gribiche. I don't know that I will seek to buy a copy just yet, but I anticipate borrowing the library copy more than once.
erika
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
i'm a big fan of the blog, although i find some of the recipes to be unnecessarily complicated. but i've cooked two meals from this and they were fairly quick, easy, & tasty, and the photography is also beautiful.
Michelle
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um, awesome. With simple, but nicely elevated meals, I can cook to please all the fussy folks in my life, but still have the flavor I crave. And I just tried out three recipes this week. All winners. As usual. Thanks, Deb.
Erin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbookery
oh so awesome, easy, and inspiring. I love Smitten Kitchen!
Sara
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I love her blog, but I can't imagine making these recipes for "every day."
Tracy
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love her recipes and am signed up for her email newsletter. She is one of my top go to chefs.
Danielle
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got this from the library twice, and now it's time to send it back and buy my own copy. I was disappointed by Perelman's first cookbook despite absolutely loving her Smitten Kitchen blog, but this cookbook was a much better fit for both my own and my family's eating habits. We're vegetarian, so I can't comment on the Meat Mains section, but we made quite a few recipes from the Vegetable Mains section that were all very good. I've also made a couple of the salads, her "dense, grainy daily bread ...more
Quetzal
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won a print copy of this book from a Goodreads Giveaway

This cook book is awesome, my mother loved it too :D We cooked today two recipes, very easy to follow and also the ingredients easy to find.
One of the things that I really it about the book is that in the beggining of each recipe Deb shared a little of her family and a bit of story for that recipe.
Amy
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Majority of recipes are delicious and worth the effort to make, though I’m not sure they’re truly “every day” meals. I have one young child and it was a challenge to prep some of these dishes around his nap/eating/play schedule.
Sari
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018, favorites
I often borrow a new cookbook title from the local library to peruse it, before I purchase it. I found many of the recipes in Deb Perelman's,"Smitten Kitchen Every Day," to be both unique and useful. This cookbook is definitely on my "To Buy" list.
Ray
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved her first cookbook, and now I have picked several recipes to try in this new cookbook, though most are of the unhealthy variety I would have to say. But sometimes special occasions demand throwing caution to the wind! A fun cookbook to read and look at, for sure!
Liz Delf
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Deb Perelman's voice and writing, and this was a lovely cookbook to read--each recipe intro is funny and warm, and the photos are beautiful. When it comes right down to it, though, there's only a few recipes I really want to try.
Zivile
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Very simple but versatile dishes. Especially, the salads are amazing!
Maris
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Every recipe I've made from this cookbook has been stellar. The tomato soup and spaghetti pangrattato are my two favourites so far. 5/5
Nancy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Some really good takeaway recipes here.
Becca
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: foodie
Only a handful of recipes in this one excite me... I love her blog though and it’s still a beautiful cookbook - every recipe has a photo!
Maria
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ridiculous delicious and easy farro recipe and the absolute best blueberry muffins you will EVER make. All the recipes so far have been superb.
Deb Perelman is a self-taught home cook and photographer; and the creator of SmittenKitchen.com, an award-winning blog with a focus on stepped-up home cooking through unfussy ingredients. In previous iterations of her so-called career, she’s been a record store shift supervisor, a scrawler of “happy birthday” on bakery cakes, an art therapist, and a technology reporter. She likes her current gig—t ...more