Start by marking “Sentinel (The Sentinel Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sentinel (The Sentinel Trilogy, #1)

Read Book

Sentinel

(The Sentinel Trilogy #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  205 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The meteor storm wasn’t such a big deal until a comet landed in the middle of the road. Now Darien’s car is wrecked, his sister is bleeding out, and the only medical aid is at the reclusive Serran Academy.

Some say the Serrans have blood-bonds with angels. Some say they have surreal mental abilities. Some say the gods grant them elemental powers.

But when the Academy is targ
Paperback, 2.0.0
Published July 2016 (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sentinel, please sign up.
Jamie Foley As a general rule of thumb, if a child is allowed to read The Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, or Twilight, this series will be perfectly safe for…moreAs a general rule of thumb, if a child is allowed to read The Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, or Twilight, this series will be perfectly safe for them.

The main character is 16, which is the target audience. I do not recommend the book to anyone younger than 12 to be safe, however, some of this series' most voracious fans are 12.

- CURSING: There is no cursing or even mild cursing, but there are 'replacement' curse words used sparingly.

- SEX: There is no sexual content, but there is attraction between members of the opposite sex (as is natural for 16-year-olds). In later books in this series, there is kissing and marriage, but the bedroom door is always tightly closed.

- VIOLENCE: There is violence and a prominent struggle of good versus evil, but there is no gratuitous violence or gore.

- DRUGS: There are brief mentions of alcohol, but no heavy usage or recreational drugs.

As someone who grew up in a strict Christian household and wasn't allowed to read anything even slightly shady, I wrote this series to be safe for sheltered and homeschooled kiddos. I believe that a story can be just as awesome as the mainstream blockbusters without having a bunch of content not safe for kids in it. Hopefully I've achieved that goal. :) (less)

Katie Grace
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
WELL THEN.

I had the lovely opportunity to read this before it got published, and I am a bundle of happiness. This has been on my TBR for a LONG TIME. A rather long time, and I'm so glad I finallyyy got my hands on this masterpiece.

The main character is basically the best main character in the history of ever. Seriously. Darien is a dork, but it made the book so much better. His banter with the other characters and thoughts made him seem like a very realistic 16 year old thrown into an adventure
Serethiel
The adventure begins...

I'm not one for thrillers or anything labeled "supernatural" -- it's just not my thing. But Jamie Foley's Sentinel -- the first in a striking new trilogy -- is an exception.

Darien Aetherswift's life isn't perfect. And neither is his sister Tera's. Their life is modest, cramped into a tiny apartment and repair shop filled with frequent calls to their insane mother, haunted by the memory of their father's death.

And then the meteor storm comes.

Suddenly, Darien and Tera's bare
Shantelle
Wow. That was quite the book, guys. I don't have all my thoughts together yet ... I do know that Jamie Foley's world-building is intense! Talk about wild and extensive brainstorming. She did a pretty awesome job with that (creating a modern-day - yet not - dystopian[?] world complete with fantasy-ish names and cultures, and angelic beings, and superpower stuff ... yeah, pretty complex). Furthermore, her characters and character dialogue were pretty great. These characters are unique, and their c ...more
Deborah O'Carroll
WHAT DID I JUST READ? I have no idea, but I know I had an absolute blast and loved it so much! :D

Picture a fantasy world with (surprise!) modern times (not here, but similar to our time-period), and some fantasy elements like mind superpowers; then add an apocalypse, secret military agents out to wreak havoc, lovable characters (including an awesome sarcastic ex-sniper), snarky conversations, and loads of humor, all wrapped up in a layer of suspense, with a dash of Christian-allegory undertones—
N.N. Light
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the premise of this story. The plot was pretty good with imaginative twists and turns. What I hated was the cliffhanger ending. Sigh. Please stop doing this, authors! It completely turns me off.

My Rating: 3 stars
Keanan
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers, young adults, fans of adventure
Darien is a teenage boy living a regular teenage boy life with his older sister and guardian, Teravyn. After a string of world-changing disasters, they find themselves in the midst of the hated and feared pariahs, the Followers at the Jade Glen Serran Academy. This book follows Darien as his world is ripped apart around him and events drive him to question everything he thought he knew about life.

This book was captivating from start to finish. There wasn't a moment when I felt like the story was
Abigayle Claire
Teenagers. Elementals. Strange happenings. A mythical world. An ancient religion. Sound awesome? I thought so too and I was not disappointed. Jamie brings her story to life with colorful characters in a complex world of her creation. The originality and creativity shine through on every page with endearing but unpredictable characters. Once you follow Darien Aetherswift into his everyday life gone wrong, there will be no putting this book down. As the best first book I've ever read, I recommend ...more
Claire Banschbach
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.
Ok, that was awesome! A little different than I expected, but in a good way! It's like a dystopian modern fantasy and I really loved the setting.
I had read the prequel novella before reading this, and I'm really glad I did since I remembered a few characters and names and had the backstory on Jet before jumping into this one.
I loved Darien as a MC. He's a bit snarky and headstrong and basically just got himself in trouble the entire time. But I loved how he gradually harnesses his p
Barb
I won this book as part of Goodreads First-Reads giveaways. I enjoy YA fantasy, and this novel of a teenage boy and his sister trying to survive in a dystopian society polarized by mass disappearances caught my attention from the start.

Darien and his sister Tera are orphans living on their own. Tera, the older sister, works to take care of her brother who is still in school. Darien is a typical self-absorbed teenage boy until the day his best friend disappears right in front of his eyes, along w
Teela
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sentinel Trilogy

Imagine Harry Potter in a Left Behind story and you have a good start on Jamie Foley's book sentinel, the first book in her Sentinel Trilogy.

Darien, a high-school student with a smart-mouth and a lackadaisical work ethic and his older sister Teravyn Aetherswift live through the mass disappearance of people referred to as Followers around the world. Darien and Tera soon meet (no spoiler) Master Levi Emberhawk of a secretive Serrano Academy where they meet many Followers with supe
Jamilla_
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is seriously awesome!

5 stars because it has everything! (except dragons)
People with strange Aeo given abilities (aether stuff is always fun), a fascinating mythos, romance (unrequited love mostly, lol), mystery, a really good (at being bad) villain, a silly hero forever making mistakes (is he a complete idiot? Jury's still out on that), my book boyfriend Jet (ladies, I saw him first!), and it's only just beginning!
Whoops, I forgot to mention a post apocalyptic world, hello? Only drag
Artful Existence
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book had such a different and refreshing dystopia feel that I really liked. I read this book in probably 4 days tops because it kept me wanting to read more! I definitely will be reading the others! I did feel like some of the characters were very immature, but that could've been on purpose. Perhaps through the books, they will grow. I also felt that the spiritual aspect was a distorted version of Christianity, which didn't bother me per say, but it was just so close it seemed like it shoul ...more
Ann Majors
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sentinel is a Christian fiction which I enjoyed thoroughly. The Christian worldview gives the book special interest. I enjoyed reading it very much. I felt the main character was well-defined and annoyingly immature at times, but he developed as the book went along, making me want to read the next book in the series. It has a "Left Behind" kind of feel to it, but the different powers defined are very interesting and new. Fun, exciting, clean, and good writing style.
Diane
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me pre-release. I will review this week.
Irene S
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting Fantasy story…This book captured my attention from the beginning. When Darien needs help during a meteor storm for his sister, Tera, he is directed to s boarding school. Darien has heard many rumors of strange things happening at the school. After Tera heals and a terrifying experience for Darien, he becomes a student at the school at Tera's persistence. The school's philosophy is that everyone has a talent or gift to be discovered. When the school is attacked, Darien and Tera flee in d ...more
Ashley
Sentinel kept showing up in my recommendations, so I thought I'd check it out. It's very unique and unlike anything I've read before. It's a fantasy that takes place in a world very similar to our own, but as more was revealed it became apparent just how different it was.

It's extremely action-packed and had me on the edge of my seat many times. My only issue was Darrien. He's stubborn, reckless, and immature. He wasn't an easy character to like and there were many times I was screaming at him in
Sheila Becker
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I liked this book. When I had to quit reading, I looked forward to being able to get back to it - and I have a lot of good books on the go, so that means something. The point of view switches were a little confusing - since it's mostly told from Darien's perspective, they don't happen that often, which might be why I found it briefly confusing. Suddenly, it wasn't Darien, when it had completely been him. My only other complaint is likely the last ... paragraph - totally annoying and completely u ...more
Carol Keen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a fast moving book with an even faster moving male lead! This kid doesn't think, he just acts! That gets him into all kinds of situations. I really liked the premise of this book, and as best I can tell, it's Christian fiction. Awesome! That's my very favorite kind of read, especially on this level with YA and reminiscent of some other series I have adored in the past. I'm so glad I read it. I'm looking forward to more and to more character growth.

My original copy came from Story Cartel, ho
wendy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant reading

I'm giving this book five stars because its so very enjoyable to read for anyone of any age . I started reading this because I didn't have another book to read and now I'm going to have to buy the other nooks too! I kind of feel sorry for Darien he needs to come to terms with his emotions poor thing. He really is a puppy in some ways. Can't wait to read the next book. Highly recommended . you could even give this to your children to read it would certainly spark their imaginatio
Sharon Miller
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
What an awesome book! A young main character that always acts before he thinks (a typical 16 year old), strange abilities with which some people are gifted, a religion similar to Christianity and an apocalyptic type world all combine to keep you buried nose deep in the book. This is a must read. I can't wait to read all the other books in this series. I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest opinion.
David Bergsland
Darkly entertaining, oxymoron tho that is

It isn't as no spiritual evil enters the book. It's the modern plot style which tells us the good guy needs to be constantly pummeled without mercy. I don't like that, never will.

It was marketed to me as Christian, but it's not. There is a vague unspecified God, but he seems fairly uninvolved and powerless.

All of that being said, I'm certain many will find it entertaining. It could have been so much more.
Marlene
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book had me interested from the get go. Fantasy mixed with modern elements. A dystopian style of story. I liked the fast pass of the story. Who to trust, who's good, who's bad, who's willing to help for their own gain? Lots of questions. Yes there's a cliffhanger, but that makes me want read the next book.
Jackie
While did not absolutely find myself in love with this start to the series did not hate it either. Guess the best I can say is my reaction to the characters and world is lukewarm appreciation.

Did however hate another cliffhanger ending to a book, which I actually expected the closer got to finishing.
Debbie Scott
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT FANTASY READ

What do you do when you find your life and memories are all lies? You do what Darian does and look for answers anyway you can. Thank you for and excellent and entertaining story, Danny and Debbie Scott.
Sheila gullick
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had me from.the beginging

Had.me fron.the.beginging. Great story. Great characters. Strong willed. Ready for.more.of.this story. Going to.be a.great series. I.bet.the next.book will be just as good if not better
Veronica DelaCruz-Araki
Took me a while to get into it. I felt the beginning was a bit drawn out and confusing. But being that the protagonist had no idea what was going on either, I guess it was alright. (ha!) Really takes off once you get a jist of the different races and what the gifts are.
Sarah Grace
DNF

I was pretty creeped out by the mental/spiritual powers portrayed in this book. The premise was very unique and intriguing, as were the characters, so I may come back to it 5 years from now. We'll see. ;-)
H
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend.

This is an interesting story that touched my emotions several times while reading. The characters are well written and engaging. Not sure if I would call this sci-fi or paranormal? I'll just call it good.
Loretta Griffith
My type of book

This book kept me interested from the beginning...I either like or dislike a book in the first two or three chapters asks this one kept me interested...
Kirsten
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
My type of supernatural dystopian: fast-paced, endearing characters, and humour.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Missing Girl
  • Lords of Trillium
  • Racing the Devil
  • The Magic Mirror: Concerning a Lonely Princess, a Foundling Girl, a Scheming King and a Pickpocket Squirrel
  • Mr. Kill (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom, #7)
  • The Noble Servant (A Medieval Fairy Tale, #3)
  • The Network
  • The Equalizer (Equalizer #1)
  • The Map Across Time (The Gates of Heaven, #2)
  • In the Keep of Time
  • The Kafka Society (Jack Madson #2)
  • Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
  • Project Gemini (The Mission League, #2)
  • Samara's Peril (Ilyon Chronicles #3)
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
  • Gwinna
  • PRIMAL Fury (PRIMAL #4)
  • Sabotage
Jamie loves strategy games, home-grown berries, and Texas winters. She's terrified of plot holes and red wasps.

Her husband is her manly cowboy astronaut muse. They live between Austin and the cattle ranch, where their hyperactive spawnling and wolfpack can run free.

The Sentinel Trilogy (4 books)
  • Arbiter (The Sentinel Trilogy, #2)
  • Sage (The Sentinel Trilogy, #3)
  • Vanguard: Prequel to The Sentinel Trilogy