Start by marking “Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness” as Want to Read:
Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness

Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness

Others books will tell you how to be hygge. This is the only book that will show you.

Though we all know the feeling of hygge instinctively few of us ever manage to capture it for more than a moment.

Now Danish actress and hygge aficionado Marie Tourell Søderberg has travelled the length and breadth of her home country to create the perfect guide to cooking, decorating,
Published September 27th 2016 by Michael Joseph (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hygge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hygge

Start your review of Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Beautiful to hold and glance at, but disappointingly thin in content. The cover will look wonderful on your shelves, but if you're looking for a more nuanced look into the culture of hygge, this isn't it.
Rebecca Jane Brown
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review in 2019
I don't know why I previously rated this so high, upon a second good read, I don't believe it's that good. It's more of a collection of people's ideas of Hygge, as opposed to a written book by the author. It should have 'a collection' rather than 'by Marie T S'.

It felt more dressed up in aesthetic than being a great book, the illustrations/photographs and physical style of the book sort of distract from the content. I wish there was more of substance.

It's a good little introduction
Vanessa
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this all in one sitting (or should I say lying in bed), and I thoroughly enjoyed the read. The phenomenon of hygge is something that does appeal a lot to my sentimentalities, and I was dying to read more about it.

What surprised me about this book was how many facets there are to hygge, and how different people interpret it. To me, I interpreted it as a very much solo activity, as I am a deeply introverted person by nature, whereas the people who contributed to this book mention spending
Lindsay Nixon
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think most Americans wanting to learn about hygge will find this book disappointing. Its not exactly the how-to manual with tips, examples, and actionable things we (Americans) tend to like. If I had not learned so much about hygge in Denmark, I would have left the book more confused.

Overall it feels like a string of Instagram posts or a scrapbook... very scattered, often off topic and not very heres how and why you can hygge

Analogy:
If it was a guide to entertaining book it would say serve
Trish at Between My Lines
This review was originally posted on Between My Lines

I was very excited about Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Marie Tourell Soderberg, as the idea of adding hygge elements to my life sounded very appealing.  And I'm obsessed with books about happiness (like all the Gretchen Rubin books which I highly recommend).  Personally , I find them inspiring and they give me an instant boost.

My Thoughts on  Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness by Marie Tourell Soderberg

So first up, I learnt exactly
Christine Spoors
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I always love reading about hygge so I read this book in one night. I've been working so much recently that I needed something positive and cosy. It also snowed for the first time this autumn today so I was feeling very cosy anyway.

I didn't love this book as much as some other's I've read about hygge because this book was mainly filled with quotes from other Danish people about hygge. So it didn't feel like this author really wrote the book because we hardly heard from her. I would have liked to
Zoe (readabilitea)
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
I was worried when I bought a lot of books on hygge that I had basically wasted my money because they would all be the same. Thankfully, I was wrong!

Whereas The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well is much more scientific in its approach to hygge, this book by Marie Tourell Søderberg is filled with more personal approaches to hygge. I loved the different accounts given by people about what is hygge to them, and I also loved how the DIYs were included in the interior design section.
Ietrio
Oct 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
A pure soul, a good feng shui, a good karma, now hygge. A myriad of terms to denote something that is different for each individual, something that is invisible and impossible to quantify, something you can blame on the victim and offer anything from chamomile tea to a good beating to cast away the demons. These are the invisible clothing of the emperor.
GM
About togetherness community sense of home

It was alright. Pretty cover tho.
Katie
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Such an interesting, enjoyable book! Dare I say it was a hygge-book? (There are about a million hygge compound words in Denmark, indexed in a useful glossary at the end of this book, and the author encourages you to make up your own hygge words!)

Here are some notes I took while reading, because I definitely want to remember the lessons of this book:

- What is hygge? Hygge is not ecstatic, momentary happiness, but a kind of everyday happiness that contributes to a general contentedness in the long
m
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Valerie Brett
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is like a persons scrapbook or mood board of what hygge means to them, and its very soothing to read and look at. Subjective, obviously, and kind of random, and a lot of huge long quotes rather than original writing. Definitely you achieve hygge by reading about it; this is much more about the mood than the research (totally different vibe than a lot of the other hygge books Ive read). ...more
Marlathemom
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet, beautiful read! Hygge (with varying pronunciations but most closely the hu from huge and the gi from girl) is the Danish term for what we call coziness - curling up to snuggle and share. In weather like this (that mirrors Denmarks), this slim book was a godsend on reflecting on the importance of recharging and reconnecting - its a perfect housewarming gift for a friend or yourself. Critics may note the history of Denmark is not overly detailed, but I just loved this little jewel. ...more
Ella
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, read-2019
I loved this book! Definitely inspired me to start to include more hygge in my life!
Natalie Frausell
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5* Not as good as other hygge books I have read but it is making me fear the winter blues less.
Sharon
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit dark and dreary as I write this, a perfect backdrop and background to appreciate the nature of Hygge, its spirit and related lifestyle choices. Time to light some candles, brew some tea, and curl up with my next read.
Katie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect read after bouts of stress, bustle, or a frenzied pace and workload. A good reminder that efficiency and productivity are not the only measures of a good and full day.
Natalia
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is not quite a regular 4-star rating but more like an average of the 5 I'd give for the book's design and the 2-3 I'd give for its content.

The book is wonderful to look at, read and touch. Whoever came up with the design and the concept clearly poured their heart and soul into making the reading experience as pleasant as possible. The flip side is that the book is way expensive (I'm talking at least twice the price I'd pay for any other hardcover here in Ukraine), so this is a moment to
Catherine
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
While I came to enjoy this book more by the end, I found the majority of it a little boring. Perhaps it was just not quite what I expected, given the title suggests it's about the "art of happiness", when in reality it seems to be more about the "art of making your house Danish and cosy by lighting candles making clay bowls". The last few pages touch on the concept of looking for happiness in the little things, for example by making time for genuine moments with family and friends (over too much ...more
Am Y
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
There's a special word for "happiness" in Denmark and that is "hygge". This book discusses all that hygge is about and comprises. We get stories from various Danish people about what hygge means to them, with lots of photos accompanying the text to try and help convey the feeling of hygge. There are hygge recipes, hygge interiors, hygge activities, etc. The last part of the book also very briefly discusses hygge from a sociocultural and political perspective - e.g. pros and cons of hygge, what ...more
Ella Elektra
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the book and I'm so in love with it. It only took me about two hours, I think, I just couldn't stop.
I' ve read "The little Book of Hygge" just before, so I already had a pretty good idea what hygge is, but I still could learn some new things.

Instead of trying to explain the concept/term, it gives you the feeling of what hygge is.
I felt like this book was some kind of 'scrapbook'. It collected little pieces, stories, recepies, quotes, etc. and by that, sharing the expierence of
amelia
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book just made me want to curl up with a book, make a cup of green tea, light my favourite candles with the rain in the background - perfect hygge moment
Wendy
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
An enjoyable introduction to the Danish concept of achieving happiness through ordinary yet meaningful moments in ones physical environment, pursuits, and relationships. The book provides pronunciation tips, some helpful vocabulary (Hygge has numerous grammatical and contextual iterations), context as to why and how Hygge is practiced in Denmark, and anecdotes from various Danes. There is a small section on socio-political perceptions and the future of Hygge.

The vast majority of the book is
Sofie Deweerdt
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly believe I was born in the wrong country haha! I love the idea of hygge so much and I'm ready to emigrate to Denmark, byeee!

PS: For those of you on Goodreads who say that this book doesn't really present any real content -- I believe that the content and the form of the book represents the idea of hygge perfectly. Of course I am no expert in hygge but I just felt so relaxed and cosy while reading, which is, well, the goal of hygge, isn't it?
Lauricia Dawn
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Had some good quotes here and there, and is obviously not BAD in the slightest, because its about hygge. However, it wasnt as amazing as The Little Book of Hygge both in layout, content, and information. I found this read had more quotes from other authors and speakers than the actual woman whos name is on the front cover...hmm...still good, but not my favourite. ...more
Kelly De Kesel
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not the greatest book in my opinion. However I do stand behind the Hygge philosophy but the book is rather informative on how the Danish experience hygge and not on how you can find your own hygge. When you're already into mindfulness and minimalism, you really don't learn anything new except a cultural point of view.
Megsbookclub
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading Hygge, The Danish Art of Happiness was very enjoyable. 🤗I think Marie Tourell Soderberg captures truly what hygge is, means and describes. A simple word that can be a verb, noun or adjective. A state of being at peace ✌ Small everyday moments that make you happy... Reading a good book while learning about a new culture is a hygge for me! 📚 What is hygge to you? 🤷♀ ...more
Polina Lyapustina
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I really appreciate an authors approach to this book, which being filled with stories of many people, seems a bit like a hyggelig talk itself.
I think I could rather reflect than learn something, and again, its pretty natural. So that was a nice weekend reading, which I would probably suggest for autumn season.
Chantelle
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was my introduction to hygge. I felt the book introduced some lovely concepts but much of the content was quotes from people living lives I will likely never be able to approximate. I suppose I hoped that it would offer more practical suggestions for carrying over Danish hygge principles into a hectic North American lifestyle. That being said, it was still a very endearing read and has sparked my interest in hygge so I will certainly seek out other books!
Tess Burton
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love the concept of hygge, but Im sure there must be better books on the subject
This is just a collection of photos, recipes and quotes - barely any words from the so-called author herself.
Is there really so little to say about hygge?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Sisu
  • How to Hygge: The Nordic Secrets to a Happy Life
  • Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Joy of Hygge: How to Bring Everyday Pleasure and Danish Coziness into Your Life
  • The Book of Hygge: The Danish Art of Living Well
  • The Hygge Life: Embracing the Nordic Art of Coziness Through Recipes, Entertaining, Decorating, Simple Rituals, and Family Traditions
  • The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People
  • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well
  • Hygge: A Celebration of Simple Pleasures. Living the Danish Way
  • Lagom: Not Too Little, Not Too Much, Just Right: The Swedish Guide to Creating Balance in Your Life
  • Making Winter: A Hygge-Inspired Guide to Surviving the Winter Months
  • Live Lagom: Balanced Living, the Swedish Way
  • North: How to Live Scandinavian
  • ScandiKitchen: The Essence of Hygge
  • Lagom: The Swedish Secret of Living Well
  • The Art of Making Memories: How to Create and Remember Happy Moments
  • ScandiKitchen: Fika and Hygge: comforting cakes and bakes from Scandinavia with love
  • The Lagom Life: A Swedish way of living
Marie Tourell Søderberg was born on July 26, in Copenhagen, Denmark. She is an actress known for 1864 (2014) and Itsi Bitsi (2015). She graduated from the National Danish School of Acting in June 2012. She has also been studying at the Lee Strasberg Institute for Theatre and Film in New York.