Start by marking “Lecretia's Choice: A Story of Love, Death and the Law” as Want to Read:
Lecretia's Choice: A Story of Love, Death and the Law

Lecretia's Choice: A Story of Love, Death and the Law

A successful young lawyer in Wellington, Lecretia Seales met and fell in love with Matt Vickers in 2003. In Lecretia’s Choice, Matt tells the story of their life together, and how it changed when his proud, fiercely independent wife was diagnosed with a brain tumour and forced to confront her own mortality.

The death she faced—slow, painful, dependent—was completely at od
Paperback, First, 336 pages
Published August 29th 2016 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lecretia's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lecretia's Choice

Simon Sweetman
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book - for more than one reason - one of the hardest-to-put-down books I've read in a long time. A sad, tender, lovingly told love story, a powerful, persuasive account of a real life and the quest for a logical reform. It would be a must-read at any rate but Matt's approach to it - calm, measured, sincere, honest and with plenty of "great writing" when needed makes it convincing, special, poignant and about as perfect as a book can be. An undeniably powerful, beautiful tribute to ...more
Sharon Metcalf
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
Lecretia's Choice : A story of love, death & the law is a most fitting title for author Matt Vickers' touching tribute to his late wife.      Throughout this book it was clearly evident Matt was deeply in love with his wife Lecretia.   Not only that but he admired and respected her and they were wonderful companions, absolutely devoted to and supportive of each other.      That they were relatively young and in love, trying to start a family when Lecretia was diagnosed with brain cancer woul ...more
ns510
Feb 01, 2018 added it
Shelves: non-fiction, nz
I find it hard to rate memoirs and the like. These are people’s personal stories and more often than not, I find them incredible. Even if I didn’t, it’s still a true account of someone’s life.

This I picked up out of interest, to explore another perspective of the euthanasia debate. I already knew their views of course. Lecretia Seales was a lawyer based in Wellington who had been sadly diagnosed with a brain tumour at a young age. She had wanted to be able to choose euthanasia as an option for h
Kate Southey
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my. This is one of those books that makes you want to stand up and start shouting, marching, rallying and take up the fight on behalf of the author and the subject of the book.
Through Matt's I fell head over heels in love with Lecretia too. I wonder if my husband thinks of me the way Matt thought of her? It seems unlikely as their marriage seems to be one of those perfect unions where both parties shine in each other's company.
That this courageous, intelligent and fun young woman had to go
Julie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lecretia Sales was a young New Zealand lawyer who met writer Matt Vickers in 2003, and at its heart this non fiction book is the story about their romance and love.

Lecretias story became known in NZ after she was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor. She entered our living rooms through some written articles and TV interviews snippets , as she advocated for physician assisted dying. Sadly she died aged just 42, on the day that the high Court released their decision declining her case.

I devou
marlin1
I do not like to rate memoirs because I believe they are all very personal journeys.

I enjoyed this novel and found it extremely easy to read. It flowed well with the first half describing how Matt and Lecretia met and the development of their relationship. It also went into their fertility issues but I felt it was most likely reminiscent of many peoples experiences.

Then at the age of 37 years old after a few falls and sight issues Lecretia is diagnosed with brain cancer and given only weeks to l
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book, reading about Matt and Lecretia's blossoming romance and their rather smooth journey to true love and marriage. Matt gave just enough detail to keep the reader interested and invested in their story, without going overboard on details; sometimes with biographical accounts there can be too much historical detail which makes the book drag.

It was very fascinating - but incredibly sad and moving - to read about Lucretia's deterioration following diagnos
Gillian Oakbrook
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book and an engaging read. A multifaceted book, it starts with a delightful, very real and relatable love story before moving on to Lecretia's cancer diagnosis and the battle for her right to have her doctor's help in dying under her own terms. Matt Vickers' honesty, humility and warmth enliven their story and the details of the court case are revealing and thought-out provoking. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.
Donna
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly good read. It was a love story, told from the heart. Being a New Zealander we wee very aware of Lecretia and Matt's fight in the media. A fight that, from one who has been through Cancer, knows that we should have the right for choice. Lecretia was a very strong woman, as the story told shows right through. It had me in tears with the good bits, and sad. A very moving story, that is well deserved to be shared with many. Thank you Matt, for sharing this beautiful well written, import ...more
Cathy McLennan
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very brave book. And while it leads to an inevitable, heartbreaking conclusion, the honesty and the love Matt has for Lecretia shines through and makes it also a book of hope.

Thanks Matt for giving us this story. Reading it has given me a new perspective on life and love. I feel lucky to have known Lecretia and you through your words.

At its heart this book is a love-story, with two shining brave souls.
Jeanette
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I read the synopsis, I had no hesitation in downloading this e-book. The reason being is that someone very close to our family has Huntingdon's disease. She has already vowed that when the time comes, she wants to end her life.

This was a very well written book and very moving. One that I can certainly relate to. Words fail me, but I would highly recommend.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review.

Heidi
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. There isn't much else to say. What Matt, Lecretia and their families went through is something I don't ever have to do. I have my thoughts and feelings on this subject and it really made me look at it from another's point of view. This book was very well written and you can feel the love Matt had for his wife and how devastated he was.
Amelia
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A searing read that I picked up in the morning and barely put down until I had finished it at dinner.
Have your tissues handy, and prepare to be both devastated at the loss of this vibrant life, and angry at the way the palliative care industry wanted her to die.
Thanks to Matt for writing such an amazing book - your love for Lecretia is so clear and vivid, all the way through.
Roll on law reform. Lecretia should have been able to have a treatment that allowed her to pass in peace, especially when
Jessica Young
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Weaves in what happened in the court case, their narrative, the research and arguments for and against assisted dying together. Very clear and compelling
Claire Lugton
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very well written book. Have a great insight into who Lecretia was.
Julie Haigh
Moving and memorable.

This was a very moving book and, for the most part, beautifully written. It starts nice and simply with the author telling us of how he and Lecretia met, their courtship, it was really quite sweet. Also appealing to me was the travel aspect as he goes on a backpacking trip to Thailand and the UK. I enjoyed reading all the travel details, where he went, the places they visited together etc. It’s the start of a beautiful journey together and they look forward to trying for a f
Irene
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Books such as this are neither good, nor bad, just varying degrees of horribleness. This is Matt's account of his beautiful wife, Lecretia's battle against a virulent brain tumour plus a fight with the New Zealand government to change the law so that people in similar situations can choose how and when to die. She was a successful high flying lawyer when she started getting the first worrying symptoms of this merciless illness. Brutally honest about what happened, how they coped, his feelings an ...more
Christa
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A passionate story of love, determination, and the heartaches of Lecretia Slates pursuit to legalize assisted dying, as told by her husband, Matt Vickers. Beautifully told and hard to put down. It furthered my belief that terminally ill patients should have rights in choosing what manner their passing, including assisted dying, should be.
Amyanne
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Lecretia's Choice' is an undeniably well written and informative book about the painful personal situation Lecretia and her husband Matt Vickers endured and the difficult social issue her illness brought to the attention of the New Zealand public.

The reason I haven't rated it a full five stars is also why, ultimately, the book wasn't quite as impactful and moving as it could have been-

and perhaps it's just an unfortunate consequence of trying to reconstruct events after an individual has died
Kylie
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ccould not put it down.
Raw, confronting, passionate & articulate.
Jaime Winklemann