Start by marking “Hound and Key” as Want to Read:
Hound and Key

Hound and Key

Key has lived her entire life in captivity, forced to use her magic to kill the enemies of Ariadne, an ageless woman with powerful magic of her own. Key knows she and Ariadne are both members of the Hand of the Gods, five souls reborn through the ages, but Key remembers none of her past lives. She chafes against Ariadne's control, and longs to escape to lead a life of her ...more
ebook
Published September 6th 2016 by Rhiannon Held

To ask other readers questions about Hound and Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hound and Key

Kaitlin
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2018
* This is one of my #SPFBO reads for 2018 *

I wasn't too sure what this story would be like from the cover, it seemed a little bit stylised, sexy, urban, and witch-crafty all at once...and to some extent this story does have all of those elements. This is a book which is very magical right from the start. We are following a character who is called Eric and he works for a lady called Ariadne. She used to be a lover of his, and they have a fairly good relationship still, until he realises that some
Kira
Hound and Key were were two of the five powers that made up the hand of the gods. Unconventional supernatural creatures is always a good thing in UF. The powers weren't as cool as I initially thought they'd be. They could be used to kill but in many other aspects were lame. Key's was the most useful. Unlocking things can definitely come in handy. Breath was a force to be reckoned with, but aside from killing or threatening to kill it wasn't interesting. Hound and Map's powers were awfully simila ...more
Olivia Farr
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Hound and Key" is a fascinating fantasy novel about a group of reincarnated individuals referred to as the "Hand of the gods." Each of these individuals was given a unique power to aid the gods in some way on Earth. They are meant to complement each other. Key, the first we learn about, is able to lock and unlock any (non-digital) locks as well as learn about a person through their keys. Map can take an image of a person and find them. Hound can track someone's steps. Breath can breathe life in ...more
Nancy Foster
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: spfbo
Once again, I have given an extra preference towards books participating in the annual spfbo contest, and while the book didn't reach the finals, it did get a nice review that piqued my curiosity.

The story seems to delve into the POVs of two characters: Eric Davis, a 30 something former jobless magician who was sort of coerced into a too-good-to-be-true part-time assistant job to a very rich businesswoman named Ariadne, and Key, a 25 year old woman who became implanted with a sort of magical ent
Rhode
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
There was a lot to like about this book, with one significant exception - the romantic relationship. Although this isn't primarily a romance (to me it's an SF-style fantasy/adventure) the relationship between the two most prominent leads is a big enough plot thread that it pulled down the book's overall score for me. So, it's a four except for this.

What's wrong? Ages. The male lead is 32, and a true 32 at that (although he has a mystifying total lack of friends which is never addressed). The fem
Mel
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Rhiannon Held has once again taken a story that I thought I knew what to expect, and instead has given it a really unique feeling and completely caught me off guard. There are places where the story dragged a bit, but overall I was kept guessing and the story went places I wouldn't expect. I liked her take on the realities of reincarnated personalities, and there were definitely thought-provoking details that make her storytelling so unique.
Mitchell
Reincarnated powers is certainly not a completely original idea. But its done pretty well here. The characters are mostly interesting and different. The powers also interesting and different and not obvious ones that have been done again and again. The ending felt a little soft, like it built up to nothing in particular. But all in all a good read.
Nicole Luiken
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, sf-fantasy
Interesting mythology based on a folklore tale I was unfamiliar with. A strong mystery hook to start with, then, wham, a wonderful plot twist at about the one quarter mark. Well-written characters. I liked how they didn't take the easy way out of their problems.

Quibble: I wished the fives powers had been a little less alike.
Katie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy, mythical / mythology lovers
This cover is giving me Lara Croft / Tomb Raider & National Treasure vibes, and I LOVE that! Based on the cover, I would have thought this would have had more of an adventurous, treasure hunting story to it. Even though it did not go that way, I still really enjoyed it.

The story is very unique, and mysterious. It revolves around a myth about "The Hand of God". I have heard of the Hand of God, but never knew there was a myth behind it. I found that to be very interesting, and liked the little
Jenn
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-won
I won a copy of this book.

This book was okay. I read it over the course of a few days. The story moved along, it just wasn't my favorite book. Interesting concept, just didn't do it for me.
The Grimm Reader
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, fiction
This book was the first time I read something off a shelf in a place we were staying on vacation. Usually I bring my own books, but at that point I had read all of my own and desperately needed something more to read, so I picked it off the shelf and decided to read it. Mostly because it was the only fiction book in English in the Italian Villa -- irony or fate that it just happened to be in one of my typical reading genres?
Not the most popular book, in fact, I do not think I would have ever
Notthatcatwoman
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
The idea had merit, but it was poorly executed. The mythology was very thin and I would have liked to see it expanded upon. The story was very one dimensional and the characters were extremely irritating, which led to great apathy on my part. It actually took me three goes to finish this book and it was a close call.

The blurb was misleading (though I can't blame that on the author), the 'escape' didn't happen until the end, the 'tru
Lisa
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The characters seemed so real you could touch them. And the world the author built was written so well that I actually dreamed about it the night I read it. Lol. I really enjoyed this book. This is a fascinating fantasy novel that I highly recommend.

*** Received a copy of book from NetGally.com and Rhiannon Held****
L
MeganTheNinja
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A unique and brilliantly written sci-fi novel. All fans of fantasy should definitely add this to their must read list! Great story with awesome characters, highly recommend!!
Celeste
Krystal Nunley
Sep 24, 2016
Amber
Sep 27, 2016

• Wolf Landing (Alpha Underground, #3)
  • The Goblin's Curse (Scions of Shadow Trilogy #3)
  • Smitten (Zerrin, #1)
  • Blood Bound (Gallows, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1)
  • Kalimpura (Green Universe, #3)
  • Kill it with Magic (The Lillim Callina Chronicles #1)
  • With a Kiss
  • Reign Storm (Demon Princess, #4)
  • Mindbreaker (Cassidy Edwards, #3)
  • Witch Poems
  • Cursed: Black Swan (A Fixer, #1)
  • Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)
  • Shades of Memory (Diamond City Magic, #4)
  • Shake Your Green Thing (Harper "Foxxy" Beck #2)
  • 47 Echo
  • House of Shards (Maijstral #2)
  • The Stolen Luck
Rhiannon Held writes urban fantasy, along with space opera and weird western (as R. Z. Held). She lives in Seattle, where she works as an archaeologist for an environmental compliance firm. At work, she mostly uses her degree for copy-editing technical reports; in writing, she uses it for cultural world-building; in public, she'll probably use it to check the mold seams on the wine bottle at dinne ...more