Start by marking “Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide” as Want to Read:
Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide

Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide

The passion for life lists has spawned an industry that includes thoughtful experts such as Caroline Miller, a life coach and motivational book author, and Dr. Michael Frisch, a positive psychology coach and clinical psychologist at Baylor University. Working together, they have fashioned the most useful, science-based, and up-to-date book on the topic of goal setting and ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Creating Your Best Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Your Best Life

Mickey
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been on a positive psychology kick lately, but I feel like I am entering that stage of diminishing returns. It might be time to lay off the self help books for me. The ironic thing is how addictive self improvement can be in the planning stages. It's energizing to get a book about creating your best life or buying that program that will give you a six pack, but the possession of such books or programs does nothing to achieving those goals unless you actually take the time to apply them. T ...more
MashailGhammas
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Creating Your Best Life is the only research-based book on the topic of goals and happiness, and it has found receptive audiences worldwide. Filled with interactive exercises and quizzes, it helps readers set and accomplish life list goals and understand the link between goal accomplishment and happiness, also known as Positive Psychology. In a step-by-step fashion, the book teaches readers how to coach themselves on how to set goals in 16 life domains, as well as take control of their environme ...more
Kerry
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a bit because it's provocative without being prescriptive or offering trite suggestions of how stress reduction and commitment will solve all of your problems. Much of what is in the book isn't new - just packaged in a way that shows you how to figure out where you're getting in your own way and encourages you to dream big. I like how the book focuses in on different realms and offers perspective on how to determine for yourself what may be missing. This book really ins ...more
Mof
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: happiness
There is a genetically determined happiness set point which is a hardwired predisposition for happiness. This is between 20-50% of what goes into happiness. The other two components are voluntary behaviors and circumstances. We adapt to changing circumstances, the hedonic treadmill. Happiness dips during the forties has life goals seem harder to achieve.Keys to happiness:-Enjoy each day; br challenged and can meet challenges; foster good relationships; have faith; be healthy and optimistic; Comp ...more
Jenny
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too Christian and too American for me. I mostly skimmed it...to be fair, I was looking for something in this book that it did not contain. I hoped it might address what happens when you achieve all your goals and pat yourself on the back....what's next? People don't appear to write books or chapters in books about this. However, Google was helpful in finding articles written on this topic, so I'm good now.
Marianne
Feb 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book; I'm a huge list maker at heart, but I just couldn't get into it. I felt like the premise was very scientific and statistic based and didn't offer me any personal connection or motivation to work on my own life. Not worth the time to read.
Jenni Pertuset
Inspired by this book, I'm keeping my life list here -- http://www.mylifelist.org/members/Pub...
Marlowe
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I find that there's a certain way to read self help books - skimming, and with a great big grain of salt. And this book is no exception.

Like so many of the genre, Creating Your Best Life throws out many facts to sell itself as The Answer, but without a whole lot of backing. So in between some interesting life advice, we get a section on how millenials lack self-control.

But, in the middle of that, there is some interesting advice. I would have apprecated a little more hand holding in writing goa
Hayley
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a little naf but the second half of the book is so much better. There are some really valuable, practical systems and tools for any individual or coach who wants to fool-proof their goal setting and accomplishment tactics. Well worth a read of you can gloss over the occasional wishy washy happiness spiel.
Shannon
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book as a recommendation from and follow-up to Martin Seligman’s book, Flourish. Creating Your Best Life takes research from positive psychology and makes it readable and applicable. There are great worksheets in the back to encourage self-exploration and goal-setting.
Melissa
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Some useful advice here.
Anna Reel
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can read my review here: https://www.thereelanna.com/my-2018-r...
Lela
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, favorites
Excellent book on "planning" your life! I really like this author & look forward to more books from her. A lot of hard work went into this book by both authors.
Rukshana
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great book! The authors do a good job of summarizing lots of research, making it digestable in bullet points, and providing ways you can apply the research findings. They draw a lot on the burgeoning positive psychology field. A quick read and enjoyable, although I lagged a bit on it because I was trying to do the exercises and fill in the worksheets they provide (a big plus!).

One of the most helpful exercises for me was the Happiness House exercise, where you identify the areas of li
Kate
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually one for books like this, but I like this one. There's no attempt at magical thinking. This "self-improvement" stuff is based on actual solid Ivy League research, not pixie dust. You don't even need to create a life list to get something out of this book about developing happiness in your own life if you aren't naturally prone to such a thing, or if you've hit a particularly rough patch that you need help crawling through. It's an easy read, and actually does make you feel good.
Regina
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most engaging, motivating, and practical books I have ever read. I have had a Life List for many years, so was already bought in to the basic premise of this book, which is goal setting. This book is full of research, case studies, and very specific examples of how to set - and reach - your goals, both small and large. Although I finished reading this book, I am still practicing many of its exercises, such as gratitude journaling, mediating, and habit creation. I will certainl ...more
Christina
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A singularly good book on the topic of seeting goals, with worksheets you can photocopy and use over and over. I checked it out of the library, yet it would be worth buying and reviewing.

Exercises like the Happiness House and "Ben There, Done That" help you clarify your life's focus and the changes you need to make, one goal at a time. It also gives you the chance to create a Bucket List of things to do before you die.

The best book of its kind on goal-setting.
Rachel
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I skimmed the front sections of this book. It had some good tidbits and takeaways. I found some of the examples long and not relevant to my goals. The exercises in the back of the book are very useful for anyone looking for prompts or help brainstorming towards how to reach success achieving your goals.
Mia Elizardi
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was excellent! I read it slowly so that I could go through and try to respond and interact with the prompts as I read along-at least with the ones that interested me. It was slightly redundant as I read through the whole book, but all excellent information that all sparked a lot of reflection and introspection. Well done-I recommend it.
Lisa Sipe
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: well-being
This is the second time I've read this book, probably not the last. It is exactly the type of non-fiction I enjoy. Each insight is backed by scientific evidence and anecdotes then matched with suggestions for incorporating the findings into your own life to your benefit. Regardless of how good your life is, this book can offer ideas to make it better.
Deborah
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, non-fiction
This book has 18 chapters and 5 parts. Part 5 (pages 223-254) is just exercises and worksheets. It includes notes, resources and an index.

It's more about making goals than a life list. Much of it reads like a pep talk. I think it is a good book and well written, just not quite what I was looking for.

Kris
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really wonderful book for anyone interested in the science and tools needed for successful goal setting & achieving. I would give it 5 stars if it included more detail. Perhaps that would have made the book too long, as the purpose of the research is to just get you going on your goals. Overall a wonderful book.
Teri Temme
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book to read at the end of the year (pure coincidence). Great goal setting information and action plans to create your best life. Highly recommended. Definitely gave me new ways to think about how I am creating what I want (or don't want)!
Jill Myers
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book! It is chock full of information and scientific techniques to help you realize goals. I have been looking for a book that is based on scientific studies related to goal accomplishment rather then the more esoteric, i.e. "The Secret".
Lucille Zimmerman
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of great research. Lots of great stories. I guess I've read so many books on happiness and positive psychology, I didn't learn anything earth shattering. However, for a person new to this field, it's excellent.
Miranda
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended. Evidence-based guidelines for living life to its fullest. Anyone interested in life design would seriously benefit from this book and its many eye-opening exercises and worksheets.
Christine Talat
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب استغرق منى وقت طويل الكتاب لا يعطى حلول فقط يطلب منك كتابة قوائم مع بعض الامثلة من حياة البشر والنصائح فى النهاية تجد نفسك أمام تغيير ذاتى لقناعاتك وأفكارك عن الاشخاص والعمل والوقت
Christine
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read on goal-setting. What makes its approach different is the use of positive psychology, as necessary tools, to help one achieve one's goals.
Kristen
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! It really hits the nail on the head in terms of positive psychology and making your life more meaningful. I highly recommend it!
Dania Bahssas
Great book....
BEST word in the book "write what you want & it will happen" :)
  • Thanks!: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier
  • A Primer in Positive Psychology
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Handbook of Positive Psychology
  • Spiritual Evolution: A Scientific Defense of Faith
  • Counter Clockwise: Mindful Health and the Power of Possibility
  • Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
  • Do It!: Let's Get Off Our Buts
  • The Power of Flow: Practical Ways to Transform Your Life with Meaningful Coincidence
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
I am the author of "Creating Your Best Life: The Ultimate Life List Guide" (Sterling 2009) which is the first book to combine the science of happiness with the science of goal accomplishment. I am one of the first graduates of the University of Pennsylvania's Masters in Applied Positive Psychology program, and I work with clients all over the world as a professional coach. I am the author of other ...more