Start by marking “Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index” as Want to Read:
Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index

Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index

It’s been sixty-five days since the accident that killed Juniper’s sister, and ripped Juniper’s world apart.

Then she finds the love letter: written by Camilla on the day of the accident, addressed mysteriously to “You,” but never sent. Desperate to learn You’s identity and deliver the message, Juniper starts to investigate.

Until she loses something. A card from her Happine
Published May 30th 2017 by Kathy Dawson Books

To ask other readers questions about Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index, please sign up.
Devin Teens or older. There's some swearing in it, including a few f-bombs.

Ariel
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did two things really well:
1/ It completely took me back to high school life. I can't put my finger on it, but something about this made me so incredibly nostalgic about my high school days.. the lockers, the hallways, the feeling!
2/ It had wonderful representation of friendships. The main character is going through serious grief and she is able to make a support system around her that I really loved to be a part of.

Missed potential:
The family impact. I love reading about families, abo
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
BooktubeAThon Challenge #5: Read a book entirely in one day - COMPLETE!

This was okay, but nothing special. I enjoyed the romance a lot, but the actual story line felt really lacking to me. Meh.
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warning: one character has a physically abusive parent, one character has thoughts of suicide.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars = Liked more than I disliked.

Hmmm. This was a bit unfulfilling to me, but I did enjoy it more than I expected.

I think you'd enjoy it if you like stories about processing the loss of a loved one. That isn't a theme I tend to gravitate toward because I lost my mom at a young age and I don't enjoy reliving that feeling, and books about grief can be VERY hit or miss for me.
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
This was a so deep, sweet and strong reading, all at the same time, I've enjoyed it alot

4.5/5 Stars

description

I want to thank Penguin Random House UK Children's and NetGalley for providing me with this copy in exchange for an honest review

You can find this one and more of my reviews on my blog A Book. A Thought.

The story follows Juniper who recently lost her sister, so we can see her trying to cope with the pain of having lost a loved one. and how it has impacted on her daily life.
One day Juniper finds a
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning: Abusive parent, drug addiction, mention of death, graphic mention of car accident, suicide attempt, physical violence, bullying, grief, mention of attempted rape, and neglectant parent (got better at the end).

A few months prior to Juniper and her sister Camilla were in a car accident. Juniper survived with some injuries. Whereas Camilla died. Juniper is still recovering from the loss. Summer has passed and school is go
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Buddy read this with Maddie last night! We had a great time and absolutely sped through it! IT wasn't quite the story I was expecting because I wrote something similar (younger sister finds letters of deceased older sister DUN DUN DUN) for a creative writing project at the beginning of the year. So, I guess I was hoping Julie Israel had just finished the story for me! haha!

But no, 'Juniper Lemon...' is less a coming-of-age story and more of a mystery mixed with building your perfect friendship
M.L. Rio
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
YA is not really my genre, so let me offer you an interloper's opinion: Juniper Lemon is a lemony fresh, fantastic read. It's smart, funny and poignant, and manages to tackle everything from first love to first loss without trivializing the trials of being a teenager. Juniper's anger and grief and shame are tangible, but Israel manages to give them the gravitas they need without weighing the story down. (My favorite device for walking that tightrope appears in a painful family dinner scene, wher ...more
Maddie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, stand-alones
I really loved the friendship aspect of this story and how Juniper was collecting friends as the book went on. With the number she got, she could have started a magical girl group. Sadly, that's not the route the story took, but I liked it anyway!

For a book about a girl trying to move through the grief of losing a sister (which would usually have made me cry) this isn't a sad story. There's hardly a sad moment, which was refreshing, really. Instead of focusing on the past, Juniper Lemon was muc
Stacee
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will admit to wondering why I requested this when it came time to read it. I normally shy away from angsty books, but I am beyond thrilled that I read it.

I loooooved this group of characters. Juniper is struggling and yet she's still sassy and wants to work through things. The grief was palpable, but not overwhelming. I truly loved being in her head. As for the other characters, I don't even want to say anything that could spoil it.

Plot wise, I was engaged right from the start. I enjoyed the
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Can we please talk about this book???? I enjoyed it so much, the characters were smart, their dialogues oh-so-witty, I liked the theme of finding secrets through notes, letters. I loved the romance, I loved how grief was portrayed and though this book has some "young adult cliches", I still adored it so much. While this book doesn't score very-very high on originality, the characters will steal your heart and will pretty much make you ignore the book's flaws.
Lauren R.
Ahhhh. My love/obsession wavered a smidge at the end (especially with how some things "wrapped up") but I still loooooooved this. I read it in one day because I just couldn't stop. There's no better feeling than when a book you super hyped up for yourself ends up meeting (probably exceeding tbh) your expectations. I loved the premise and cover the moment I saw them - anything with lists or letters or secret identities will make it onto my TBR. I loved how Juniper pulled together her own little f ...more
Tala Lucy
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was beautiful, why did I wait so long to read this?

I did cry a little towards the end because how can you not? A family dealing with the devastating outcome of losing a daughter in a car accident. Parents who are lost, a daughter who has lost her sister and is trying to cope and a family who in simpler terms are learning how to cope and live again.

I couldn't imagine going through something as hard as this, but what a beautifully written story of tragedy, family, love and hope. This gave me
Khrys ♡《TheWaffleGirl》

I don’t want to be mean, but I regretted reading this book. So much.

Plot promised more than it delivered. You know that feeling of crippling disappointment when you search desperately for something SO BADLY, and you scavenge for it for hours and hours but you feel increasingly more hopeless and miserable as you reach towards the end? That was me reading this book. The worst part is I didn’t even find what I needed at the end.

._.

Writing was honestly nothing special and nothing new.
Kells Next Read
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a refreshing read. I absolutely love it!!!

Actual ratings: 4.5
Becca [Saurus]
I enjoyed this, but ... I don't love it. Sorry.

If we are being honest here, I only picked this up because of it's gorgeous cover. I am not a YA/Contemporary type of girl. There are a few gems I have fallen in love with, but usually I am just left bored. Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index kind of sits in the middle of these two feelings. I enjoyed it, and read it 2 days, but I don't love it and don't feel I would ever read it again. It is just ... okay.

Lets start with with the positives. I liked the
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
GRADE: B-
3.5 STARS

Since her sister Camille's death, Juniper Lemon is keeping track of her happiness by writing daily on note cards. After losing one card, she hunts all over school, including the trash bins. While dumpster diving with the school's bad boy she finds secrets others have discarded and sets out to help. At home she finds Camille's last letter, addressed only to You, an apparent secret boyfriend (or girlfriend) with whom she wants to break up. Juniper decides this is the last favor s
Hallie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A slightly weak four, mostly for maintaining the "You" as the name to which Juniper's sister addressed letters. His, or maybe her, identity had to remain a mystery in order to drive the plot, but it was annoying rather than mysterious, given that she was a present-day high school senior instead of a young Victorian woman. There was a lot that worked well, though, and it's a good portrait of someone finding ways to celebrate the person they loved as well as mourning their loss.
Sophia
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This coming-of-age, contemporary, novel resembles the writing style of a cross between John Green and Sarah Dessen. As I was making my way through this novel, I came to the conclusion that this book entails several key elements of a Young-Adult novel. I can truly say this book made me fangirl and "feel all the feels"

Read the full review here--> http://www.futuremedicalleaders.com/2...
Madison
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written contemporary, Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index is the perfect book for readers who enjoy moving stories about grief, romance against the odds, strong friendships, and the daily rituals that get us through all of the above.

Juniper Lemon writes down everything she liked or disliked about her day in her happiness index. It's something her older sister Camilla suggested and she can't let the habit go, especially now that there are already so many holes in her life left void afte
Casey
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuteness! I really enjoyed all these characters and Juniper herself, the singing was super cute and for a book with happy in the title it was pretty sad but really well balanced.

This deals with death, mentions of attempted rape, family abuse, and grief. I thought it dealt with all the harder topics really well and balanced out perfectly.
Rita Mariani
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
I really enjoyed this but I'm also mad, I need closure!! I need to know things! Why you do this to me
Berit☀️✨
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super adorable Y A contemporary, that also did a good job with some tough subject matter...

Juniper was so likable, your heart just broke that the girl was going through such a tough time after losing her sister.... this book was very well done, there was a little hint of mystery to it, who was YOU? The quest to figure this out lead juniper to some fabulous new friends and a discovery of an art media that she was particularly good at... liked all the friend dynamics in this book, they weren't alw
Gabby
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OH MY GOOOOOOSH!! I don't even have the words to describe how much I love this book. I devoured it in about five hours and I just... AAAAAHHH!

I'll have a review up on my blog soon, but I don't even know what I'm going to write because... I'm speechless!
alwaysandforeverreading.wordpress.com
Joanne
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index by Julie Israel is a wonderful story all about love and secrets, family and friendship, grief and guilt, art and music, the lost and the found.

Two months after her older sister, Camilla, dies in a car crash, Juniper finds a letter Camilla wrote to a secret boyfriend - a boyfriend only called 'You' - dated the day she died. Feeling guilty over how they had fallen out just before she died, Juniper wants to deliver the letter
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a sibling (in the past), car accident (in the past), mentions of suicide, depression, domestic violence, bullying.

If it weren't for the fact that this was November's book club pick, I wouldn't have read this book. There's just nothing about it that really appeals to me. Still, I don't think I've not read a book club book in the two and a half years I've been going to book club.

Really, there wasn't anything BAD about this. But there wasn't anything special or memorabl
Krysti
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored Juniper's story. There was so much depth of emotion here. JUNIPER LEMON'S HAPPINESS INDEX includes some incredibly tough topics, including grief, abuse, and loneliness, but the way in which the story unfolds leaves the reader filled with this unexpected sense of hope and positivity.

Juniper herself is just an inherently good person. She has her moments of darkness due to the loss of her sister, her dedication to healing her own pain by trying to improve the lives of others ar
 Caty
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forse è un libro che non dovrebbe prendere cinque stelle, ma questa volta ho deciso di dare il punteggio spinta dalle emozioni che mi stanno accompagnando proprio ora che ho concluso il libro, anziché passare qualche giorno a riflettere o pensare a tutti i pro e i contro. Sono rimasta così coinvolta dalla storia e dalle vicende di Juniper da non poter fare altro che assegnare le cinque stelline e, anche se ho bisogno di tempo per raccogliere i pensieri, so già che la recensione che pubblicherò s ...more
Cristi-Lael
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
It may be because I was reading this during Booktube-a-thon, and was on a high from all the fun and the great other books I'd read, but I liked this. It wasn't perfect, but it was an enjoyable book. A sweet lesson on friendships and relationships and loss.
Mandy
4.5/5

Super cute story! I got real frustrated with Juniper at times, but overall really enjoyed the book. And for all of Brand's faults ... sah-woon!
  • Populatti
  • All the Little Bones (Circus Hearts, #1)
  • Stargazing For Beginners
  • The Build-up Season
  • An Infidel in Paradise
  • I Am Out With Lanterns
  • Nothing Like Looking
  • Take Three Girls
  • Tin Heart
  • A Shadow's Breath
  • Dark Days (The Childe, #2)
  • The History of Hilary Hambrushina
  • How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love With You (How to Survive High School)
  • Last Chance Angel
  • Chain of Hearts
  • Aspen
  • No Filter
  • Night Swimming
“When he catches me, and we roll on our backs toward the star-filled sky, I do not see the diamonds, the glittering shards that have shone there for billions of years, but the blue-black canopy between them. I see it and think of my watercolors, of carving Bristol from linoleum, of Polaris-with a twang, of Camie's hand in them all, of the thousand ways she'll never see her touch unfold-and somehow recognize it's this very darkness, the cutouts, the envelope of holes that makes the stars so sharp and beautiful. All that absence isn't negative space.” 5 likes
“You must get tired of hearing that,” she says after a moment. “I mean—of people censoring themselves around you.” Waiter?” 2 likes