Start by marking “The Ravenous” as Want to Read:
The Ravenous

The Ravenous

From the outside, the Cane family looks like they have it all. A successful military father, a loving mother and five beautiful teenage daughters. But on the inside, life isn't quite so idyllic: the Cane sisters can barely stand each other, their father is always away, and their neglectful mother struggles with addiction and depression.

When their youngest and most beloved
Published September 26th 2017 by Harlequin Teen

Start your review of The Ravenous
Chelsea Humphrey
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-publisher
I hate writing less than glowing reviews; I know how hard authors work on producing books and I never want to take away from their livelihood because I feel enjoyment of books is really a matter of opinion. That said, the following is simply MY opinion and please take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure I need to warn against spoilers as the entire plot is listed in the blurb for the book. No, seriously; if you were wanting some form of suspense or twists and turns, you won't find them here.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Let me preface this by saying I wanted to love this book, so badly. It was one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I requested an ARC so many times before finally being able to trade for a copy on twitter! I hoped I would be writing a rave review to tell you guys that this was morbid and gross and creepy and so much fun. Sadly, instead, you get... this review.

Before the birthday balloons, and before the accident, before the broken mirrors and the black veins and the dismembered bodies
Heather
Amy Lukavics is definitely one of my favorite horror writers!

Juliet & Taylor
description description
Anya & Mona
description description
...and Rose
description
Another perfectly spooky story from Amy Lukavics! Five seemingly perfect sisters live a pretty normal life until the youngest, the one who truly holds them together dies. Dead. For one day. When she returns she is still the sweet, loving, happy sister they all adore...until she gets hungry. And guess what she wants to eat?

Whoops, I mean Rose!
description

I had no idea if this book could even receive any
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I am saddened that this review is going to be anything but praising Lukavics and her usually superb YA horror skills. Unfortunately, this one just did NOT work for me. I REALLY wanted it to but sadly, I do not. However, I did finish it which was easy enough to do because of the easy writing style this author has and because it was just under 300 pages. I won't lie though, there was a couple of times I considered DNFing this one. I kept thinking maybe SOMETHING was going to happen that would give ...more
BunTheDestroyer
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very engrossing!! However...
1. I’m pretty sure a hammer wouldnt do that.
2. I’m ABSOLUTELY SURE a FIREPLACE POKER wouldnt do that.
3. Why not use homeless people?
Kelly Gunderman
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Check out this, other reviews, and more fun bookish things on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

I remember being super excited to read Daughters Unto Devils when it first released, because it promised a whole bunch of creepy packed into its pages. I loved that book so much, and while I still haven't gotten around to The Women in the Walls, I was super excited to read The Ravenous, so as soon as this book came out, I happily picked up a copy and read it as soon as I had the
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Just like her second book, The Woman in the Walls, Amy Lukavics' third novel, The Ravenous failed to engage and capture me completely. The novel has a good build-up but the slow pacing does not contribute well. But it is still a good read for me, anyway.

The Ravenous is about cannibalism. It's a take away especially if you've read its synopsis (such a bummer!). And it's actually obvious considering the title. I wasn't prepared anyway when the big reveal came up. My stomach goes awry, does twists
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
Ok Amy Lukavics, I've given you three books worth of chances now. No more. I actually can't believe that a publisher is still investing money in publishing this shit.

If you want to know the plot, just read the blurb. It quite literally tells you everything about the book that there is to know. What it doesn't tell you is that the characterisation is so poor as to be non-existent. Character motivations make zero to no sense, and there is absolutely no sense of danger or terror anywhere in this
Trisha
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
"I'm in the dark now, Rose, Mona thought from the shadows. I'm in here waiting for you, come join me, won't you?"

Wow, what a fun little horror story, one that didn't shy away from the gore and blood splatter! The Five sisters were easy to join - Juliet, Taylor, Anya, Mona & Rose. You instantly felt their wall of protection - both around Rose and about the frustration and embarrassment of their mother and both her drinking and her near abandonment of her kids. But once their wall is shattered
☣Lynn☣
That ending! I need a sequel asap
Beth
For the record, I begged for an ARC of this book, and nobody would give me one. It was so sad, because I have a very hard time waiting for her books to come out. Lucky for me, I work in a library and sometimes we get books a little early, so I cheated and read it before I processed it...What?...I'm only human!!! LOL!!! This book was worth the wait, and I could not put it down! Once again, Amy Lukavics has written a book that about 50% through it, it takes a turn that is both horrifying and ...more
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
Sep 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2017
OCTOBER 2017!!!!

Freaking kill me.
Hafsa Sabira
Oct 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't always write a long review unless I really really like a book or I really really dislike a book. Now,based on my rating,one can already assume what I feel about this book. I know that it's quite mean to say bad stuff about a book when the writer has spent so much time and effort on this but I guess a reader has the right to express what he/she feels.

Firstly,I picked this book not only because of its quite good rating but also because of its stunning yet chilling cover. I must say,if I
Mac Dubista Keso The Bibliobibuli v(=∩_∩=)
thepessimisticreader
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided a copy of "The Ravenous" from HarlequinTeen in exchange for a fair and honest review. First, thank you so much to them! "The Ravenous" is on sale as of September 26, 2017, be sure to grab yourself a copy.

This book is so different from other horror-y books I've read. It's character driven, there's so much detail put into the characters that you do genuinely care what happens to them instead of barely blinking an eye as the author kills them off one by one. I was surprised with how
Stacy Fetters
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
"The house began to feel haunted. Mona couldn't describe the feeling specifically, but it was like the house now understood that it had become a place of evil, a home of death, and it started existing as such. The hallways were darker. The staircase was scarier, and Mona couldn't go up or down them without sprinting."

I'm not sure where to start but this was her most disappointing to date. It held my interest at parts, still spooky, but highly predictable from the second chapter.

Her first book
Yolanda Sfetsos
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, ya-horror
I absolutely loved Daughters Unto Devils and The Women in the Walls, so I was very excited about this book. And it didn't disappoint!

The Cane family consists of a father in the military, an absent mother, and five sisters who don't always get along. Juliet is the oldest, the matriarch of the bunch, who rules with cruelty and violence. Taylor worships Juliet and does everything she tells her to. Anya is more concerned about texting her girlfriend than what's going on with the family. Mona tries
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Mona has 4 other sisters and they move a lot because her father is in the military and their mother is a terrible mother who drinks and doesn't take care of her kids when the father is gone. So Juliet, the oldest, has taken up the mantle of making sure the house runs smoothly. Though she can be rather cruel and she scares Mona.

On Rose's birthday, Juliet and their mother get into a fight and Rose ends up dying. What a birthday present right? Well, the mother brings her back with one rule, don't
Maggie Herrera ☾ (Witching Reads)
Oh boy...where to start.

I really enjoyed the first half of this book, it was creepy, entertaining and fucked up. Unfortunately the second half was such a snooze fest.

The first half introduces the characters and their dynamics while the second Half continuously reminds us that “Juliet is the boss and oh boy if you don’t listen to her you are in trouble” amongst other things. It really just made this story drag and made me loose interest right away.

The amount of repetition ruined whatever
Ashley
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick B-movie style YA horror about cannibalism? Yes please! I thought this was fun. I don't agree with the negative reviews for this one.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
KWinks
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't give 5 stars lightly. I'm going to confess that I'm just at the point where I'm going to read everything this woman puts out. Daughters Unto Devils was fabulous and The Women in the Walls was creepy AF, but The Ravenous is awesome. Made me hungry for more (insert better pun here). There is something about Lukavics's pacing that is just spot on and memorizing. Can I just mention she is balancing 5 really different characters here and pulls it off beautifully? Mona is one of the most ...more
Amber
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Ravenous was spooky but predictable.

Plot: I've read other books by Amy Lukavics and I've enjoyed the spooky atmosphere that she creates, but there comes a point when you just want more. The Ravenous sounded like the perfect Halloween read and it definitely hit all of the creepy points, but there was nothing to make me care or continue being interested. The Ravenous played out as expected, but I appreciated that Lukavics left the ending open-ended.

Characters: Mona, one of the five Cane
Kelly
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at 76%.

I think I would have preferred a book about the Bloody Benders instead. This was ... not good.
Kitkat
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved the horror and the twists of the book. I couldn't tell what was going to happen and the cliff hanger was amazing! I was freaking out and laughing that book. I loved everything!
Marian
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Marian by: T.S. Ferguson
Shelves: 2017, t-s-says
Kate
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, age-ya, horror
Mona Cane and her four sisters are used to dealing with things on their own. Their mother has some mental issues, and their father's in the military. But when an altercation with their mother ends with the youngest, Rose, dead, their mother unexpectedly steps up. Instead of calling the police, she disappears with Rose's body and returns... along with a very much alive Rose. The Cane sisters aren't sure what happened, but they soon learn that Rose needs to eat raw meat, preferably human. And when ...more
Niki
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, young-adult
Please do not read the synopsis of this book.
If you have, you may not like this book.

What the synopsis should be:

The youngest of 5 sisters in a highly dysfunctional family dies and comes back to life, but at what cost?

I think the publishers felt this book wouldn't sell unless they gave away the big twist, but if you already know the big twist then the book is kinda, eh. So I'm just going to not even mention it here at all.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the book. This is my second book of
TJL
*Shakes fist at the sky* AMY LUKAVICS, HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH SUCH BRILLIANT PROSE??

GAAH, we're three for three, people. She writes a book, I read the book, I LOVE THE DAMN BOOK.

Horror is my jam, and The Ravenous, like The Women in the Walls and Daughters Unto Devils, is constantly asking the question of "Alright, things are creepy as shit right now- SO LET'S GET EVEN CREEPIER."

The characters were awesome and completely twisted. Things just got darker and darker and this is one of those golden
Patti
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who's ever read my reviews of zombie books know how I feel about sentient zombies, so I'm not going into that.

This book was about WAY more than a sentient zombie. So much family drama and heartbreak. That made this book very much worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • The Hollow Girl
  • Hex Life: Wicked New Tales of Witchery
  • The Dark Beneath the Ice
  • The Devil You Know
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Master of Dreams (The Dreamscape Trilogy #1)
  • The Good Demon
  • The Toll
  • Lizzie
  • Ten
  • Tomb of Ancients (House of Furies, #3)
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Heartwood Box
  • Teeth in the Mist
  • The Lost
  • Kill Creek
Ever since she was little, Amy was especially intrigued by horror books and movies. Raised in a small mountain town in Arizona, she sustained herself on a steady diet of Goosebumps, Fear Street, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books before discovering Stephen King in her mother's bookshelf.

Amy lives with her husband, their two precious squidlings, and an old gentleman cat by the name of