Start by marking “The Pros of Cons” as Want to Read:
The Pros of Cons

The Pros of Cons

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Drummer Phoebe Byrd prides herself on being one of the guys, and she's ready to prove it by kicking all their butts in the snare solo competition at the Indoor Percussion Association Convention.

Writer Vanessa Montoya-O'Callaghan has been looking forward to the WTFcon for months. Not just because of the panels and fanfiction readings but because WTFcon is where she'll fina
Published March 27th 2018 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Pros of Cons, please sign up.
Ashley Their ages and grades were mentioned throughout the story, but I think they're roughly all juniors-becoming-seniors. There's several comments about…moreTheir ages and grades were mentioned throughout the story, but I think they're roughly all juniors-becoming-seniors. There's several comments about college and one character talks about driving.(less)

Claire Legrand
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply put, reading this book was one of the most satisfying and joyous reading experiences of my life. It’s about fandom and storytelling and girls supporting each other, and I can’t recommend it highly enough. And I’m not just saying this because I love all the women who wrote it! I’m saying this because it is a sheer and utter delight.
Stewart Tame
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I won a free ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Wow! This impressed me much more than I expected it to. I mean, I expected it to be good and fun, and it was both of those, in spades, but it was also moving and compelling and had me grinning like a maniac at some times, and all but crying into my mustache at others. What I'm saying is that this ride is a heck of a lot more thrilling than it looked from the queue.

As the cover states, this book is set at a convention center
Sana
Jul 14, 2016 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
Pro 1: Lindsay Ribar, pro 2: life-changing friendship, hell yesss.
Samantha (WLABB)
What do you get when you gather four different cons under one roof? You get a fun story of friendship, which simply charmed the pants off of me.

•Pro: Books featuring female friendships always rank high with me, and I really felt the love among these three. It didn't matter that they were so different from each other or not even attending the same convention, they saw someone in need, responded, and a friendship grew from there. Girls supporting girls for the win!

•Pro: The cons were pretty awesom
Jenna Scherer
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, nerdy tribute to loving the weird stuff you love, and also friendship. (Which is fitting, since it was written by three of my friends who are sweet nerds.) Come for the "Harry Potter" references, stay for the newfound knowledge of percussion instruments and taxidermy.
Mandy
Know that whole saying - never judge a book by its cover? Well, it's always a straight up lie. We always judge a book by it's cover it seems like in the book world. If it's pretty, we instantly want to pick it up and caress it gently BECAUSE PRETTY. And it's, well, not so pleasing? We might get a little sketched out by it.

For me? I was completely sold by the premise of this book, but I was a little bit sketched out by the stuffed mouse on the cover with some musical instruments and a witch hat.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
4.5 stars!

I loved this book please read it

RTC
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
*4,3 stars*

This was so fun to read, I laughed a lot and honestly, I just really, really liked this one.
Gaby
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The cute, nerdy, multi-POV book of my dreams, really 😍 The perfect mix of angst, kissing, and shenanigans recommended for anyone who loves contemporary YA, especially of the fandom indulgent kind.
Anna Priemaza
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored THE PROS OF CONS. It's so full of fandom and friendship and quirkiness and girls supporting girls, and I basically grinned non-stop from start to finish.
Shoshana
A YA book first and foremost about friendship: 1,000,000 points.
Kat
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, lgbtqa, latino
I love reading about incredibly specific subcultures, so this book was basically made for me. It's fun and sweet, while also digging into some intense issues--including some fandom-specific ones. There's a diverse female-led cast, and I think this is only the second book I've read with a non-binary character, and the first I've read where a non-binary character uses gender neutral pronouns. I'm so excited this book is middle school appropriate, because I can think of a few of my students off the ...more
Angie
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, realistic
While I was reading this I just kept looking up at my husband and hitting him excitedly and shouting things like:
"I love this book! The teens are communicating!"
"They're learning from their mistakes!"
"OMG they're speaking up for themselves and avoiding toxic relationships!!"
"And building better and more loving ones and lasting friendships and there's character growth!" "OMFGBFEDHJSSHUFJEDHUFISD!!!!!"
So yeah, I love that!
kory.
There are many things I like about this book; the representation (some of it anyway), the girl friendships, the owning up to your own faults and doing better, the fun of cons and fandom, the humor, how supportive everyone is, the actual communication that goes on instead of blown out of proportion misunderstandings for the sake of conflict/angst, the relationship or lack thereof between Callie and her father is relatable - as is the relationship between/what went down with her parents, girls hat ...more
Mckinlay
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received an early DRC for free from edelweiss and the publisher. This does not affect my rating.*

Because this book takes place in Orlando at a convention center i couldn't help but picture the OCCC in my mind, I'm actually pretty convinced that it's based on the OCCC, but what evs. Anywaaaaay, i'm rambling... I really really liked this book! Women supporting women is my aesthetic!

Things i liked:
-How the 3 MCs were supportive of each other immediately and had each other's backs.
-the diversity
Offbalance
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite parts of YA is the way it teases out experiences that I desperately wish happened to me when I was the age of the characters in these books. I've been on some rancid school trips, but not once did I happen to befriend some lovely strangers at those times that saved the day and taught me wonderful lessons. And more's the pity, really. I still wish that would happen, sometimes (and it has once or twice in my twenties, but that's another story). Three strangers at three disparate ...more
Julie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Super fun read. I will say that I am a fan of funny realistic contemporary, so this is already my kind of book, but I was honestly totally charmed by the three narratives and all the characters. I love all the details about the individual conventions, which were specific enough to be fun and new and totally realistic to the story and characters. More than anything, I love that the people in this book are like the teenagers I know: worried about and interested in a huge variety of things, accepti ...more
Mikayla Tewksbury
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed with this book.
As someone who goes to fandom conventions, this captured the essence of those conventions beautifully. Everything from the new friendships, to the atmosphere...all of it.
I loved the three different perspectives, they each had such unique characteristics and personalities. I devoured this story, and couldn't get enough of it.
Stay tuned for the epilogue as well. ;)
Jaymie
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was so fun! I loved the con setting and the way three very different events drew these girls together. I loved all of the main characters - I can’t pick a favorite - and the way each one grows and finds her voice or her place.
Melissa
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, music
Every inch of this is a delight. I can't speak for the taxidermy, but the music and fandom bits are incredibly spot on and I'm always here for female friendships. Also podcasts.
Betsy Aldredge
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. From the nerdy humor, to the focus on female friendships, and the excellent character growth, I highly recommend it!
Elisa
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book! I couldn’t put it down.
Heather
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Loving novel about people and their passions when fandoms collide in a hotel. Captures the joy of finding one’s peeps at a con (as well as the fun of eavesdropping on people in the same physical space for completely different reasons. [one of my favorite con activities is seeing Klingons in a mall food court]) I also liked how being a fan of Harry Potter was considered completely normal, unlike the stigma of likening Star Wars or Trek when I was growing up.

Fittingly, I read it on a plane after a
Ashley
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Some parts were a little cheesy but the characters were charming and it was a fun, fast-paced read. Huge emphasis on female friendships, supporting each other, owning up to your mistakes and standing up for yourself.
Melissa Sarno
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: electric-18s
This book is delightful. It’s all about finding friends and opening yourself up to others and loving things and people with your whole heart. It made me enormously happy.
B00knerds
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was really fun to read! And I just love a happy ending like that. It was so creative how everyone's stories intertwined and it was just such a nice story about friendship. It definitely kept me captivated the whole time I read it!
Kendall
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Light and fun, but with some depth and actual character-building.
Miranda
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a cute and nerdy book.
Nicole Lisa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Girl friendships! Cons! Satisfying ending!

I loved all the relationships in this book (except the ones I'm supposed to hate of course!) and the believable way friendships develop between Vanessa, Phoebe and Callie who meet accidentally at a hotel that is hosting three different conventions at once (fandom, taxidermy and percussion). It captured the randomness of conventions (especially the randomness of more than one convention) and the feeling of realizing the world is bigger than the part of it
Christi
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
This was such a fun read!
Alison grew up in Evanston, IL. She is a professional photographer and spent many years working as a lighting designer for theater, opera, and dance. Now she lives in Brooklyn and writes young adult novels full time. She is represented by the lovely and amazing Holly Root of Root Literary.
More about Alison Cherry

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Leave Myself Behind
    $15.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)