Start by marking “Dreaming the Bear” as Want to Read:
Dreaming the Bear

Dreaming the Bear

Darcy’s dad, a naturalist, moves their family from England to the snowy wilderness of Yellowstone National Park. Mum, Dad, and older brother Jem are all thriving, but Darcy misses her friends, and civilization, including WiFi. She’s also sick, getting weaker with each day, and having strange dreams—or are they something else?

Then she finds an injured mother bear whose cubs
Published April 10th 2017 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Bear

Sophie
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
A beautiful and unique animal story from Mimi Thebo. Darcy is a young girl who has recently suffered pneumonia and is recovering in her parents' cabin in Yellowstone Park when she meets an injured bear.

One thing that particularly stood out for me about this book was the depiction of Darcy's illness - as a chronically ill person I'm always on the lookout for books that do this well. You could really feel Darcy's limitations and I liked how she related to the sick bear.

A great book, and nice to se
Ms. Yingling
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC from Baker and Taylor

Darcy isn't happy with her parents. They have dragged her away from her nice English town and stranded her out in the wilderness near Yellowstone Park so her mother can study bears. Darcy is recovering from pneumonia and is very weak. She's supposed to go hiking outside to build up her strength, but not get wet. At one point, she finds an injured bear in a cave and starts to feed the bear, who becomes very close to her. There is a horrible blizzard while her mother is aw
Swetha Amit
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart warming read about a girl named Darcy who moves away from civilization to the wilderness with her family. Away from her school, friends and technology, Darcy is suffering from pneumonia. Her chance encounter with an injured bear ends up as her new found purpose. She slowly forms an inexplicable bond with it. Was kind of fascinated with the 'out of body experience' instances, narrated in the book. Well expressed from Darcy's perspective as we delve deep into this teens mind ! Animal lover ...more
Alyss Sainsbury
skippity_doo
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, novella
A solid, well-plotted novella which considers the idea of home, identity and family through the eyes of a British girl transplanted to Yellowstone park (against her wishes) where her father is employed. The bond between bear and girl is beautifully realised and serves as a contrast to her more complicated human relationships. Unusual & interesting.
Kaylee Sheppard
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dreaming the Bear, by Mimi Thebo is a interesting and somewhat thrilling book. Darcy, a young girl and the main character, finds herself living in harsh cold conditions near the Yellowstone National Park after her parents have made her and her older brother, Jem,move. Darcy finds very quickly that the cold weather and high elevation makes her very sick. One day, on her daily exercise route through the heavy snow, she finds herself very tired and wonders into a cave. Upon entering the cave, she g ...more
Chris Vick
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure magic

Transporting, poetic, rooted in the earth yet utterly magical. I loved this book. And it made me long for the wild.
Maddison
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
• Torn over this one - where there was bad, there was good, and vice versa
• The only book I don’t know my feelings for - I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing
• Good writing style in parts which was beautiful, lyrical and slightly magical. However, the writing style was very inconsistent
• Many ways the book could have gone - it did not necessarily go the most interesting and imaginative way. Again, this doesn’t mean I didn’t like the ending, explanation and resolution it did choose.
Maria
In two minds. Interesting, but something is lacking.
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up Dreaming the Bear at the library because it has a beautiful cover (just look at that majestic bear in that majestic blizzard), and the description made it sound pretty interesting. I wasn't sure I'd be super into it, and I was a bit wary after the first page or two because first person present tense is something I am pretty iffy on. Ultimately, I fell in love.

While the book has its flaws, I honestly feel willing and able to disregard them all. First off, the main character is a teena
Lynn
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of YA novels as a teacher and many leave me wanting. Most themes are even the same nowadays, but this novel is fantastic and I want to look up more of the author, Mimi Thebo's books. Darcy is a British girl living neat Boseman, Montana, right near Yellowstone National Park's Mammoth Springs entrance. Her father is working as a naturalist there while the mothers goes back to Britain for a visit. Hiking in the woods one day, Darcy becomes tired and can't go on. She happens upon a cave ...more
Emma Hamilton
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listofbetterment, ks2
This book explores the life of a young girl and her family who have moved to Yellowstone National Park. Darcy is the main character and she begins the book ill with pneumonia which they later find is altitude sickness. Darcy explores the area surrounding her house on her 1 hour of exercise each day and finds herself in the warm arms of a hibernating bear which later wakes up and becomes reliant on Darcy due to a shoulder injury.
Sad ending. - Would have to consider this when using it in the clas
Sarah Lean
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-ya
I LOVED this story. Told by a breathless girl called Darcy who is struggling with her health and wild surroundings, this story slowly but surely pulls you into the warm but terrifying hold of an injured bear. It was intriguing to hear of the perils of being housebound in deep snow in grizzly country without contact with the outside world, electricity or running water. The survival techniques were genius, and I'm assuming drawn from real life, and the characters were very real and interesting. Bu ...more
Justine Laismith
This middle grade book is about a girl adjusting to a new life in Yellowstone Park. She misses her old life in England, her friends and all the conveniences of modern life. To make things worse, she has been ill and stuck at home ever since arriving. So she hasn't had any chances making new friends.

What I like best about this book is the insight into life at high altitude, and what it means when the snow-storm arrives. They say books take you to new places, and this book certainly took me to som
Jennybeast
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, kids
Charlie Easterson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has sort of the whimsical melancholy of books like touching spirit bear. A young girl finds herself in over her head as she struggles to fit into a world not of her choosing, and finds her own place in her own very unique way. I loved the poetic prose and the beautiful juxtaposition of the mind of the bear and the mind of the girl. It wasn't the most earth shattering plot but the characters were interesting and relatable without being over the top and the story was comfortingly simple and intere ...more
Caroline
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Partly mystical, in the way that Skellig is, this book tells the story of Darcy who has moved to the wilderness with her family because her father is doing research for a year. Darcy is a city girl who absolutely hates the countryside, until she has a close encounter with a hibernating bear. When the bear comes out of hibernation, Darcy faces a tough choice. This is a great book with a very interesting mystical element. Love it!
Mia
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how poetic the descriptions were in this book; the snow-capped mountains and lush green forests were easy to picture.

However I spent the majority of my time being bored or confused by what was going on. The multiple perspectives were hard to keep up with and I was constantly flipping back through the book to find out what was going on.

5 stars for writing style, 2 stars for plot and execution.
Matthew Tett
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Mimi Thebo's story of a girl recovering from illness in Yellowstone NP is extremely current and thought-provoking. At times, some parts seem to 'skip' important details - such as the links with the UK - but I really like the whole focus here on he bear's role in helping the book's protagonist get well - whether it's part of the dream sequence or not. Definitely a book that would appeal to a lot of YA readers, or even younger (and in my case, adults).
Dixie Keyes
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple, elegant, and delicate story of the connection between nature and humans....depicts the rare openness that connects us all. Every sentence, sometimes every word has meaning in this book--it's a beautifully written novel I won't soon forget. Ideal for classrooms 5th-?, especially for those young people interested in the wilderness, in connecting with animals, and in families who live daringly in the icy mountains over winter.
Lisa Farrell
3.5 stars. Another YTF book. I did enjoy this story of Darcy whose family has moved to Yellowstone and she has found it difficult to cope, contracting pneumonia shortly after she arrives. On one of her restorative walks she crawls exhausted into a cave and falls asleep next to an injured, hibernating bear. A bond is formed, one which is both positive and disastrous. A beautifully written story which did have me shedding a tear at the end.
Morgan
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

I think I expected more nature and stuff instead of this girl wandering off into the snow when even just being outside a little bit would make her sick and potentially dead. Doing it over and over again. Did she curl up with a bear in its den? Who knows. Let's wander out in the snow again. It'll probably be fine.

....no.
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
I like the concept of this book, and I did actually find the ending moving. However, I found the writing style annoying and the main character's weakness made her seem irritating and whingey. I didn't like her. I don't really know what the point of the story was either, as the bear didn't even seem to be the main element.
roy hornfeld
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Animal lover's anthem

This book was fascinating, moving and completely original. If you have ever dreamed of having a remarkable encounter with a wild animal, this story will resonate. I read a lot and this is one read U will not forget...
Danette V
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried my eyes out. The passion and energy of YA is so appealing but the emotion in this one left me exhausted. It was a beautiful connection story and I know I will always remember Bear and her girl Darcy.
J
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: amvi, arc, ya, coming-of-age
Note: ARC received via Amazon Vine.

Dreaming the Bear is one of those books I wanted to like. I love visiting Yellowstone and exploring that area of the world. I wanted to feel like I was right there in the dangers of the wild with Darcy. Instead I felt like I was reading an emotional, frustrated teenager who was more at odds with herself than with the environment. There are hints of danger and romance. There is a lot of obvious issues with the character's thinking which we see as readers, but sh
Victoria Louise
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little story that stole my heart. 😍
Mona Gonzalez-Tricker
Short, but meaningful.
Bianca
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🤩🤩🤩
Lucy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was a very good story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Going Viral (Potion, #3)
  • Brightstorm
  • One Italian Summer
  • Sky Chasers
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Never Evers
  • The Crow's Tale
  • Searching for a Silver Lining
  • Station Zero (Railhead, #3)
  • There May Be a Castle
  • How Not to Disappear
  • The House with Chicken Legs
  • Edge of Nowhere
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Running on the Roof of the World
  • And Then We Ran
  • Goth Girl and the Sinister Symphony (Goth Girl, #4)