Start by marking “Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em” as Want to Read:

Phil Gordon plays poker with the best players in the world. He has won -- and lost -- in tournaments and cash games around the globe, all the while studying the game and learning from every hand dealt. As the resident expert and cohost of Celebrity Poker Showdown, Phil has quickly become one of the most sought-after teachers of No Limit Texas Hold'em. It's a tough game. Bu ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Gallery Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phil Gordon's Little Green Book

Jeremy
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poker
This should probably be the second poker book any serious player reads, or the first book if you've already got a good handle on the rudiments of solid play. Gordon does an excellent job of walking the fine line between math, instinct, and aggression.
David
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Broken up into bite size chunks, it is easy to jump around to whatever section you want. Lots of good information and examples.
Clare
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I get days where I have nothing to do but read, and I get to sit around and devour and entire 500+-page book in a matter of hours, make myself a cup of tea to clear my book hangover, and pick up the next one.

I hope I get another one of those days at some point this summer because my last one was in January.

Sometimes I get entire weeks and months of running around with ten million things to do, working my way through whatever poor book I've been lugging around in fits and starts, steali
Robert Beveridge
Phil Gordon, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em (Simon Spotlight Entertainment, 2005)

Howard Lederer and Annie Duke are correct, in their introduction, when they say that this book was, at the time of its publication, unique. There have been poker how-to manuals probably as long as there have been people playing poker, but back in 2005, no one had written a more personal, “how I play”-style book. Now it's five years later, and Phil Gordon's series of
Frank
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a highly regarded poker book that comes up in just about any "Top Poker Books" list. It's an okay starting off point for a beginning player. Might be a little basic for someone who has read a few decent poker books before. I've seen that Phil Gordon has some more advanced follow up books. It might be worth checking them out soon.
James Jung
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having read this book in small parts from time to time, I believe it is a good way of reading the book by just skimming thru the pages until you see a chapter with an interesting title:)
Any poker book is a good read!
Brian Mikołajczyk
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best poker book available. A must read for any player.
Shaun
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
That was good. Kind of a cliff's notes of several other books.
Sammy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Well worth reading for any would-be poker players, although a lot of statistics to take in!
Nathan Albright
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge-2019
For quite a few years I have been fond of casually watching Texas Hold'em poker tournaments on television and in person, although recently I have come to be invited more often to such parties for some reason.  Not being a particularly skilled or experienced poker player, I have adopted my general pattern of helping to become more skilled on at least an intellectual level and have decided to do some reading to help me become at least a moderately competent player, and this book definitely helps w ...more
Alexandra Chauran
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poker-books
This book is information-dense, but relatively clear to understand, though near the end there seemed to be some conflicting advice. I would recommend this book to an intermediate player, as there is plenty of terminology that is not introduced in the book with which you would need to be familiar. That said, this beginner has read other poker books before and only had to look up a few terms. My plan is to go back and place a Post-It note at a principle and practice it before moving on to the next ...more
Bill Williams
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phil Gordon is a well known tournament poker player and the host of the Celebrity Poker Showdown. Modeled after Harvey Penick's book on golf, this book presents the basics of Texas Hold'em. The text is stripped down and instructional. There are sections on Math, Psychology and even Online Poker.

An excellent primer on the game, this abridged audio version was read by the author.
Dan
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great information!
Bryce
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different take

Enjoyed reading the methods of the man. Not your definitive guide, but doesn’t pretend to be. Great insight to one individuals take.
Ciobanu Petru
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good poker book for a beginner.
Dave Clinton
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not really a beginners book but it was packed with useful strategies and terms that you need to get familiar with.
Frank Holmes
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This is a great book for beginners and intermediate level players, who would like to learn and improve their game.
Michael Burnam-Fink
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
I'm terrible at poker. Not wanting to embarrass myself at the next poker night, I got Gordon's book. This is perhaps a little more advanced that what I could use, but it's a quick and readable introduction to poker strategy, and the art of imperfect information, livened up with examples from the table. Gordon provides the basics of "tight-and-aggressive" strategy, and why it wins most of the time, along with the bigger picture of tournament games and poker psychology. The mathematical parts of t ...more
Timmy
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: poker
Super quick read. This is more like a detailed look into the decision making process of Phil Gordon than a theoretical/philosophical approach to poker like Sklansky or others. That makes it extremely accessible and practical, but it also makes it neither organized well enough to make a great starting point for beginners nor deep enough to provide a lot of new ideas to veteran players. Still, it wasn't bad at all.
Eddy
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poker-gambling
Good quick read. I enjoyed the pace of the book and found the info very useful. Phil does a great job of sharing his in-depth knowledge and presents it extremely well without overcomplicating it. Great source for it's time, obviously the game has evolved since then, but there's no discounting the value of any of the info shared as it is all still applicable to the game today. The hardest part for me is probably classifying the style of play into a box.
John Wallace
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Very helpful. But a bit mind-boggling.

Key thing that is missing is how to put your opponent on a hand. Starts a lot of scenarios with "say you put your opponent on a small pocket pair..." or "say you've put your opponent on AQ or AK..." He doesn't offer a lot of direct help with how to do this (admittedly, this is something that is not super teachable).
Ruslan Voronkov
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
So short and so information dense. If you are a pro - skip this book. If not, and you want to have an advantage in your next home game - this book will give you a lot.
A lot of players behaviour patterns, which were covered in this book, I personally do on regular basis. It was a 'cool' reminder to always look for information flows.
Shek
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: calculators, poker computers
Here's the thing: reading about how to do better at something like playing poker is more boring than counting to a million; if you can get past about 600 or so without skipping a number or stopping, then congratulations, you're a calculator. And if by skimming this book and not finishing it I do worse at playing poker, then I'm okay with that.
Deborah
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a novice, I found this book very helpful. Now, when I watch tournaments on television, I can more easily follow the various strategies employed by familiar professionals.

Will Phil's tips improve my own game? It's hard to say. I guess I would need to play more than twice a year in order to give them a fair shake!
CV Rick
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poker
This small book is filled with some of the best, most understandable advice on No Limit Hold'em that I have read anywhere. It's essential and may stand as the best investment in the game I've made to date.
dawn
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This is a great instructional book for the casual or beginning player. It focuses on ideas and strategies without spending too much time on the math of poker. This was the first hold'em book i read, and it definately improved my game.
Vito
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite poker great read! Phil Gordon! not just a great player also a very GD writer this book is well done can't say that about all great player's. I can for Phil! an of coursse sklansky malamuth an bruson! ther's a few more! enough said! ..
Joel Purvis
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Excellent book to learn the basic concepts of No - Limit Hold'em. A lot of the specifics (raise sizes, 3 and 4 betting) are now outdated and a serious player will want to read a more current book, but this is an excellent jumping off point for the novice player.
Michael Garner
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Picked this up due to the fact I have to participate in the Texas hold em competition for this year's corporate challenge. I've never participated tournament before, only played for fun with friends. Gives me some ideas that I hope to incorpate .
Pam
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I made the switch from playing Limit Hold'em to No Limit Hold'em and this book has helped considerably. It's really like seeing inside the mind of a great poker player. Unfortunately, it also shows while I will never be great, but at least I have fun trying!

• Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments, Volume II: The Endgame
  • Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play
  • The Psychology of Poker
  • Doyle Brunson's Super System
  • Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I
  • Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
  • Annie Duke: How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed, and Won Millions at the World Series of Poker
  • Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'em Strategy
  • The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King: Inside the Richest Poker Game of All Time
  • The Poker Mindset