Start by marking “Of Peaks and Prairies (Paradise Valley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Peaks and Prairies (Paradise Valley, #1)

Of Peaks and Prairies

(Paradise Valley #1)

Genevieve Waters-Ewing is married.
She's married to a man she doesn't love, and didn't agree to marry. The scoundrel dragged her to the altar, and now everything is going to change. In a split second decision, she runs away, and stows aboard a chuck wagon that's leaving on a cattle drive, heading north to Montana Territory. She doesn't know where she's going, or what she'l
Published July 13th 2016 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Of Peaks and Prairies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Peaks and Prairies

M.A. Nichols
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Boring. That's the best word to describe this book. For a story that has a fair amount of stuff going on in it, it's hard for me to call it boring, but every issue is overcome quickly and with little problem. The author does a decent job at throwing conflicts into the story, but not a single one of them lasted for more than a couple chapters. Even the issue that kicks off the entire story is resolved easily and with little hassle to the main characters. It's just bizarre.

On top of that, I have t
Cindy Nipper
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this audiobook! I haven't read a lot of Vivi's books but I plan to read more! I loved the surprising scenes with Sara and the Indians as well as the letter from Jenny's best friend! The Narrator did a great job and I got lost in the story as his cadence whipped me away to the trail! I'm sure to listen and or read more of Vivi's adventurous books!
Nana Kitteh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a good story

This is a well written romance with great characters, enough action and romance to keep you reading. I also enjoyed the multiple character stories instead of just focusing on the hero and heroine. Well done and I am looking forward to the next one.
Heather C
This is my favorite book from Vivi Holt thus far!

Important reading note – while this is the first book in the Paradise Valley series, it continues the story of Bill and Sarah that is told in Holt’s book, The Strong One, which is part of the Cutter’s Creek series. You can read these books in either order, Of Peaks and Prairies certainly stands on its own, but I think it will be more enjoyable to read The Strong One first and read Bill and Sarah’s origin story first.

The majority of the historical
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Historically Romantic

Of Peaks and Prairies is a story that will take you back to the pioneer days full of danger, hardship, strong men and women, as well as those who would prey upon others with relative ease. You’ll get a very strong sense of what it was like to be on a long cattle drive back in those times. The details make every aspect of life on the prairie, moving cattle from one state to another, and the dangerous aspects of every day life for those brave men and women.

Genevie
Beverly Laude
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book begins with Genevieve being forced into marriage by her evil stepfather. His best friend, Quincy, has coveted her for a long time. Now that Fred is ready to find himself a wife, he agrees to the marriage. However, Jenny definitely isn't ready for marriage, especially to the filthy and cruel Quincy.

She becomes a stowaway in a wagon and soon finds herself on the way to Montana with a cattle drive. The handsome owner, Thomas O'Reilly, finds her and agrees to let her come along on the drive
Janet Denise Ross
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
SHE RAN OFF TO A CATTLE DRIVE & FOUND LOVE & FRIENDS

4.5 STARS is given to Vivi Holt for Peaks and Prarairies (Paradise Valley Book 1) for her wonderful descriptive book about a young woman whose mean stepfather forced her to marry his best friend and neighbor, a man that he got drunk with that was meaner than him older than he was and one of ugliest men Genny had ever seen in her life . Oh, Vivi has such wonderful descriptions I felt I could almost see what her ugly old husband looked li
Ddkmc95
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genevieve has been forced to marry the friend of her stepfather, a bad tempered older man. Refusing to be subjected to a life with him, she runs away when her stepfather and husband leave her outside of the saloon to go imbibe. She follows a cowboy and stows away in a chuck wagon.
Thomas is in Texas to collect a herd of longhorns and head back to Montana. Imagine his surprise when he discovers a beautiful stow away in his chuck wagon. Genevieve isn’t honest with Tom and tells him that she’s head
Elissa
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Knowing the harsh conditions of the pioneer west and the still harsher conditions of humankind, some requisite suspensions of disbelief become necessary to maintain the storyline; but relax into the world as outlined by the author and enjoy an old-fashioned western romance with sufficient twists, turns and adventures to make for interesting storytelling around the campfire. Our narrator (4.5* but I rounded up) has a very pleasant voice although he gives the women a certain breathlessness not alw ...more
Brenda
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another inspiring winner from Vivi Holt

And I was happy to see our old friends, Sarah and Bill, from Cutter's Creek. Genny, feeling all alone in the world, couldn't have found a more understanding friend than Sarah in whom to confide on the way to Montana.

I love the way the author conveys her female characters--vulnerable, yet strong, with courage and an ability to withstand hardship and to even find joy in the midst of it. In other words, they are like so many of the real-life women, like my gr
Anna Schno
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, romance, western, dnf
I coudn't finish this book. I was about halfway through when I couldn't take it anymore. One thing follows another without a break or any character development. The insights to the characters minds are so cliché and kitschy that I couldn't take it anymore. This felt like a skeleton story that could've used a bit more story and depth.
The writing style was not to my liking at all.
KATHY STAPLETON
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love it !!

For a sweet clean western, with adventure and trials and Indian raids, Soldiers, it's got it all. It's got you hoping for that happy ever after,while keeping you wondering it almost the end. Good job Miss Holt, can't wait to read the next one.
Tj Walker
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable story

I enjoyed this book. The cattle drive with long dusty days, indians, soldiers and Fred and Quincy all made for a difficult journey. I did not like Fred or Quincy at all. They were awful people. I hope that Cora gets to come visit Gabby sometime.
Monica Peavy
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cattle drive sweetness

It could've been this way? A sweet young lady,( Genny) runs away from home, for a good reason, and finds love, adventure and friendship on a cattle drive. Nice story. You really want her to find happiness.
Glaidene Ramsey
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paradise Valley Romance

This book is the first in a series of books. I enjoyed this book very much. The story starts after a young girls wedding to her father's best friend. They must have a drink and leave her outside. The story begins here. Enjoy, I did
Bonnie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anther good read from an excellent author

If you read one you're sure to want the following story in this series of a closely knit group of strong women matched by caring hard working men who love them.
Elizabeth West
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of Peaks and Valleys

Enjoyable story with plenty of suspense. Characters are great. Your hooked from the start of this sweet romance. Can't wait for the next book in the series.
Nancy Riecke
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exciting!

Loved every page of this book! It is very exciting and very romantic! Can't wait to read the next book.
Cynthia
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would say this is every woman’s nightmare being forced to marry a man you can’t stand who has nothing going for him. What a start to what looks to be an outstanding series. This is one story that the author weaves you a wonderful plot of being on the run with danger all around you as you travel across the plains with Indians who just might want a piece of your skin along with your husband and stepfather hot on your trail. This is one author that always gives you an exciting read as you set on ...more
Kathy Heare Watts
UNTIL DEATH DO US PART, OR I CAN ESCAPE

I enjoyed this emotional story that showed courage, determination, commitment, and faithfulness. Genevieve Waters-Ewing is a pawn used by her unscrupulous stepfather and unwillingly married to another. There is no love, only fear, and repulsion. Genny knows she has to get away, far away and she hides in the back of a chuck wagon, not even caring where it is going. Thomas O’Reilly has worked hard to prove himself, making an excellent fortune in gold, buying
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Of Peaks and Prairies ( Paradise Valley - Book one )
By: Vivi Holt

Of Peaks and Prairies is book one in Paradise Valley series . Wow , what a first story for a series Vivi Holt has weaved. She plots and weaved a wonderful heartwarming story that will keep you on the edge of your seat reading way in the night turning pages to see what is going to happen next. Her story is clean, Inspirational, historical, and western romance. I really did enjoy the story and the characters, both was easy to follow.
Stephanie (Between the Coverz)
Genny’s stepfather was a mean man that married her off to his neighbor, an equally bully of a man. Genny couldn’t stay and be married to Quincy. She runs off and hides in the back of a cook’s wagon that is leaving on a cattle drive. However Quincy and Fred were not going to let her get away that easy, so they rode after her.

Tom, owner of the cattle, discovers Genny and thinks to send her back however he would lose precious time on his drive. He was trying to beat the winter so he gives in to Ge
Sandie Laughner
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written and I enjoyed it very much.
Genevieve's miserable step-father marries her off to his best friend, who's as crummy as he is. Sitting on a bench outside of the local saloon, right after the wedding-while the two men are inside celebrating the wedding- Genevieve follows a kind cowboy. She ends up in the back of a chuck wagon headed from TX to Montana. The trail boss/owner finds her, but doesn't send her back.
Will Genny's step-father and new husband come looking for
Cissie
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genevieve is a strong, beautiful heroine in this gripping story about love, strength and determination. She hasn’t had the easiest of lives and one test after another comes her way. Vivi Holt’s writing kept me one the edge of my seat, wondering how Genny is going to escape the peril in her life.

Thomas is a hard-working man who can’t walk away and leave Genevieve to her life. He has a back story of his own and he’s worked hard to get where he’s at. His background in gold and cattle has guaranteed
Charlotte
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genevieve Waters has just become Genevieve Ewings, but not by her choice. Now that her mother has died, her stepfather has given her away to his old friend Quincy. Minutes after the wedding, Genny takes off and stows away in the chuck wagon of a cattle drive. There she meets the owner Tom and has an instant attraction. All she wants is to be free from Quincy and to follow her heart. Genny is soon to learn that life has many emotional ups and downs.
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Vivi Holt has started a Western romance series with tall cowboys, wild Indians, longhorn cattle, covered wagons, and wide open spaces.

Read full review in the 2016 December issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Patti Brennan
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I loved this book. It was interesting from first page to last no lags. I can not wait to read the second book in the series
Lorin
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this wonderful story! This book has wonderful characters and a wonderful plot! I had a hard time putting this wonderful book down!

Lesley Bellotti
rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2017
judy thacker
Mar 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Christmas Spirit (Cutter's Creek #7.4)
  • Lorna Loves a Lawyer (Brides with Grit #9)
  • The Nutcracker Bride (12 Brides of Christmas #2)
  • The Murderer's Maid: A Lizzie Borden Novel
  • A Gentleman's Guide to Scandal (Birch Hall Romance, #2)
  • Rules for a Rogue (Romancing the Rules, #1)
  • Indiana Belle (American Journey, #3)
  • Grace: Bride of Montana (American Mail-Order Bride #41)
  • The Advent Bride (The 12 Brides of Christmas, #1)
  • To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis (Nowhere Series #2)
  • A Scandalous Proposal (Little Season, #2)
  • Only an Earl Will Do (To Marry a Rogue, #1)
  • Gallagher's Hope (Montana Gallaghers, #2)
  • The Duke of Ruin (The Untouchables, #8)
  • The Saxon Outlaw's Revenge
  • Prima Donna
  • The Worthington Wife
  • The Importance of Being Scandalous (A Tale of Two Sisters, #1)
Vivi Holt writes inspirational romance. Of her books, readers say:

"The plot kept me enthralled and the pages turning"
"I cried and laughed"
"What an awesome ending. Can't wait for more!!"

Vivi lives in beautiful Brisbane, Australia with her husband and three young children. Growing up on a farm she learned to love the country life and now she writes about it in her books. History has always fascinate

Paradise Valley (5 books)
  • Winds of Paradise (Paradise Valley, #2)
  • Lost in Laredo (Paradise Valley Book 3)
  • Cheyenne Reckoning (Paradise Valley Book 4)
  • Forgotten Trails (Paradise Valley Book 5)