Start by marking “Mayan Mendacity (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth #2)” as Want to Read:
Mayan Mendacity (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth #2)

Mayan Mendacity

(Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth #2)

Dr Elizabeth Pimms has a new puzzle.

What is the story behind the tiny skeletons discovered on a Guatemalan island? And how do they relate to an ancient Mayan queen?

The bones, along with other remains, are a gift for Elizabeth. But soon the giver reveals his true nature. An enraged colleague then questions Elizabeth’s family history. Elizabeth seeks
Published November 1st 2016 by Echo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mayan Mendacity, please sign up.
Susan I would highly recommend reading the series in order. You could try to jump in but there's a lot of family connections and history that you would miss…moreI would highly recommend reading the series in order. You could try to jump in but there's a lot of family connections and history that you would miss out on and book two doesn't spend any time explaining. (less)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
After finishing the first book in this series, Olmec Obituary, was I quite keen to start the next book. So, of course, it took me a little over one year to get to book two. I finally decided to read this book because I got book three in the series, Egyptian Enigma, and I felt that now is the time to read this one and get straight to book three (which I now have started to read).

I love Indiana Jones and I wanted to be an Archaeologist when I was younger. So, books that future Archaeologists and myste
Marianne
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5★s
Mayan Mendacity is the second book in the Dr Pimms, Intermillenial Sleuth series by Australian author, L J M Owen. After a separation of almost two years, Dr Elizabeth Pimms, archaeologist, paleo-geneticist and librarian is very much looking forward to a joyous reunion with her boyfriend, Luke. And maybe an extra nice surprise involving a ring? So when things turn out very differently, Elizabeth is determined not to wallow in self-pity, but instead, throw her energies into analysing t
Brenda
Dr Elizabeth Pimms was looking forward to Luke being home from his archaeological dig that had kept them apart for so long. She wasn’t expecting the shock of what he told her when she met him in the laboratory of the archaeology building in Canberra. But the bones from the Guatemalan dig which he needed her to research and uncover the hidden secrets of the Mayan past thrilled Elizabeth –she was determined not to let Luke’s revelation stop her doing her job.

As Elizabeth probed the box
Mystery Lover
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love it and glad I didn't have to wait too long to get book 2. I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I thought the story of Lady Six Sky was fascinating. I enjoyed the teasing out of all the clues to work out what happened in the past. I looked up her story on google and it was amazing. The Mayans were a fascinating culture and I enjoyed learning about them. I recommend not googling until after reading the book though.

There are a few family mysteries
Yvette
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and the first one in the series because it was said to be similar to the Amelia Peabody series. My reviews for both books are the same and thank you to NetGalley for the books.

Even though the protagonist in this series Elizabeth has a different personality to Amelia's these books reminded me of Crocodile on the Sandbank. Elizabeth Pimms could be Amelia Peabody's long lost Australian cousin.

The archaeology in these books was as good if not better than Amelia Peabody
Angela
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like the first one, great for readers of cosy mystery and history and family drama.
Read this one in two days, after getting it from Netgallery, thank you Netgallery.
As per my review for Olmec Obituary I can say this series is a great read especially the history and the forensics. The books are well written and kept me guessing to the end. The Olmecs (first book) and Mayans were both intriguing cultures but a bit sickening and upsetting with some of their cultural practices but then maybe that'
Hayley Lewis
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’m another one of the lucky readers who was able to read this prior to the official publication date. And like the first novel in this series, I loved ‘Mayan Mendacity’. It was a great follow-up to the first novel with some continuing plotlines from ‘Olmec Obituary’ threaded into the main story and two fascinating new mysteries that kept me guessing right to the end. If you enjoyed the first book in the series then you will love this!
And now begins the long wait till I can read the 3rd book in
Sharon
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was super excited for volume 2 in the Dr Pimms, Intermillenial Sleuth series, and it certainly didn't disappoint! The story picks up not long after the conclusion of Olmec Obituary, with Dr Elizabeth Pimms facing a new set of bones, and new developments in her personal life too. Written with heartfelt, down-to-earth gusto, the very Aussie characters and compelling mysteries propel you through the book, interspersed with the story of Lady Six Sky, a Mayan Princess. One of the best hallmarks of ...more
D.Ann
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Author L.J.M. Owen has done it again with the second installment of the Dr. Pimms Intermillennial Sleuth series. Our protagonist returns again with her life filled to the brim with family, food, a job which spans many different aspects of Library Science and a passion for archaeology. What a perfect combination!

This story also has a strong theme of feminism throughout the whole book. There are many strong women having to overcome and carry on despite others trying to cut them down at
Natalie Aked
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of the Dr Pimms books. I enjoyed the first, Olmec Obituary, when I first read it as a good first novel by a new author. With Mayan Mendacity, author LJM Owen has found her footing.

I loved this book. Like with the first, it's cosy crime, so grab a cup of tea, curl up on the couch under a blanket, and spend a day with Elizabeth Pimms, her wonderful family, and true friends as she solves yet another 'really dead' case.

Perfect for young adult readers with a passion fo
Serena Armstrong
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was great to settle down into a cosy armchair and relax with the next instalment of Dr. Pimms. Already I can see that the author's style has developed as the characters are well fleshed-out and the narrative carries more smoothly.

I found myself easily transported back to the Mayan civilisation with the tales of Lady Six Sky. I also liked how the author was able to juxtapose some of the issues that Elizabeth was facing in modern life with those of Lady Six Sky.

I have always had a
Mellisa Crawshaw
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was never one for history at school, but LJM Owen has managed to draw me in again to a world of ancient cultures, really old mysteries and a fascinating look at Mayan history, especially the women. I won't give anything away, but wow, I really wasn't aware of just how much our idea of beauty has changed over the Millenia. Also, who knew Canberra had so many interesting paces to visit? A nice, easy read, that reminds me of "Bones", but with more imagination. I cannot wait for next year when num ...more
Tamara Petersen
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Riveting! Emotional in a good way. I never wanted to finish and wanted to know how it ended, and was utterly disappointed when I had to put it down as there was no more to read. I can not wait for the next installment of Dr Elizabeth Pimms. :)
Sophie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The thing I love about this series is that you can truly feel how passionate the author is about them. It shines through the writing. The historian, the archaeologist, the feminist, the book lover and the crazy cat lady all shine through in equal measure to create a book full of personality.
Anne
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute page-turner! I loved it! Can't wait for the next one!
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘The Intermillenial Sleuth rides again!’

Dr Elizabeth Pimms has been eagerly looking forward to her boyfriend Luke returning from his archaeological dig in Mexico. But perhaps the first clue that things might not be going as she’d expected is when Luke wants to meet up at the skeletal-analysis laboratory in Canberra. Elizabeth is excited when Luke tells her about the remains he has brought from a dig on Flores Island in Guatemala, from the bottom of a sacrificial cenote. There’s a mys
Catherine McMahon
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought L.J.M. Owen's first book - Olmec Obituary was good. Mayan Mendacity was even better. I felt like I could picture the characters in my head, could imagine what they looked like and when they celebrated Christmas Day, I felt like I was there, enjoying the day with them. I think were I to meet Dr Elizabeth Pimms, we would get on quite well. I especially liked the handful of references to things that happened in Olmec Obituary that had consequences in this book, like her winning the award. ...more
Agatha
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, even more than the first one, in fact after reading this second book in the series I went back and read the first book again and it made more sense. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I have an idea of who the mystery person is at the end of this book and I want the next book to come out so I can see if I am correct.
Bookasaurus Blog
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Find my review here
marlin1
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read the Olmec Obituary and the Mayan Mendacity back to back and I really think that enhanced my enjoyment of the Mayan Mendacity. The second book starts exactly where the first book left off, so if you think there are a few threads not resolved in the first, then these will be tidied up by the end of this book but on saying that, this book can certainly be read as a stand alone.

In this book Elizabeth is given the opportunity to work on some bones from Nojpeten, the very last Mayan
Cel Jel
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book over two days, unusual for me. I really enjoyed the research from the present, with the tensions of betrayal and the story from the past, which also contained betrayal. I really really enjoyed the book.
Lib
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had not read the first book but this did not matter. I found this story interesting enough to read through the night. I would recommend this book for readers who like a bit of adventure, mystery in a light entertaining way. It also is steeped in history of the Mayan culture.
Joyce
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

This is a much better book than the first in this series. While still acting impetuous and a little immature, at least Elizabeth was somewhat better.

Hearing that her boyfriend Luke is finally coming home, she arranges to meet him. He drops a bombshell instead of greeting her in the manner she had hoped.

She does get the opportunity to examine some bones from a Mayan dig. It is a huge find, however, and due to some unforeseen circumstances, her examination of the bones is dela
Jamie
I read this book over the weekend then went back and reread book one in the series and I am now following this series avidly. There were mysteries that began in book one that I did not recognize until I read book two and then I saw what I missed in book one. I am posting the same review for both books although I did think book two went faster than book one.

Without spoilers, there are mysteries started in book one that seem frustrating because they are not explained by the end of the
Crystal
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book free from Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Fortuitous. That is what I call my stumbling on this excellent little book. I was searching through Netgalley, hoping to find a book that I could use on my Fall Bookish Bingo. The description looked promising. Could I use it for the “suspense” square?

This book turned out even better than expected! It’s not simply a suspense novel, it is a love letter to ancient civilizations and archaeology. Dr. Elizabeth Pimms
Paul Franco
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Like in the first one, the Australian librarian/archaeologist protagonist works on bones from a dig and realizes something’s wrong, in this case in a completely grisly way.
These stories are mostly soft and inoffensive, though I’m not sure I’d call them cozies. Again like the first one, it’s her large and genetically wide family that is the best part of this, along with her extended circle of friends. Even the cats get in on it, as I had a ton of fun imagining this scene in my head:
Re
Celeste
I love reading about different cultures, the older the better. So of course I had to pick up a book dealing with it fictionally. I liked this, the second installment of this series better than the first.
Elizabeth is still sort of insufferable and the number of different dishes her family goes through is still ridiculous, but I was completely enamored of Lady Six Sky. The back story of the remains was pretty ingenious in my opinion, however the reason this book only gets a 3 is because the
Cat Servant
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Archaeology - good. Food - good. Cats - good. Great characters, lots of misunderstandings and difficulty solving the mysteries. I didn't guess the endings which makes it great for me. Now I've finished both Book 1 and 2 as my Easter reads Elizabeth Pimms is a character I will follow to the end!
H M
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. After finishing the first in the series I ran out and got the second and devoured it. Very enjoyable, educating and entertaining. Can't wait for the third.
Isobel Blackthorn
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in Canberra, and in the Mayan empire in what is now Guatemala, Mayan Mendacity is the second in L.J.M. Owen’s Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth series. It is a challenge setting up the next book in a series and Owen has done so with finesse. The narration is light, buoyant, playful at times, yet ever observant, the result, a most satisfying read.

The main plot is driven by protagonist Dr Elizabeth Pimm’s new volunteer project, given her by the exacting Dr Marsh. She must assess an
Dr L.J.M. Owen has escaped dark and shadowy days as a public servant to explore the comparatively lighter side of life: murder, mystery and forgotten women's history. An Australian author, archaeologist and librarian with a PhD in palaeogenetics, L.J. speaks five languages and has travelled extensively through Europe and Asia.

L.J. is the Festival Director of the Terror Australis Readers and Writers F

Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth (3 books)
  • Olmec Obituary (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth, #1)
  • Egyptian Enigma (Dr Pimms, Intermillennial Sleuth, #3)