Start by marking “The Sand Prince (The Demon Door, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sand Prince (The Demon Door, #1)

The Sand Prince

(The Demon Door #1)

Two worlds, divided by a door.

On the war-ravaged demon world of Eriis, Hellne, the fierce young queen, fights to keep her people alive...

On the green and gentle human world of Mistra, the demons have faded into myth. Only a handful of old men and children still guard The Door between the worlds...

Rhuun, the Prince of Eriis, uncovers a forgotten book written by a human,
Published June 28th 2016 by Kim Alexander (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Sand Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sand Prince

Start your review of The Sand Prince (The Demon Door, #1)
Tracey
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
Okay, here's the thing. I'm probably harder than I ought to be on the books I receive from Netgalley, wanting apostrophes to be where they're supposed to be and the correct homophones to be used and commas to be where they're supposed to be which is a rather hypocritical thing to say considering this sentence. And in The Sand Prince, at times, none of that happens consistently: "insure" instead of "ensure", and "the jokes on me", and "laying" for "lying", and dangling participles, and run-on sen ...more
Vippi
~I received this book from Netgalley, in exchange for a honest review~

DNF – stopped at 33%

The synopsis made me imagine The Demon Door was a really funny, compelling fantasy/romance and I really wanted to like this book. I really did.
Unfortunately, The Demon Door failed my expectations.

I found the first chapters a little confusing: there wasn’t a clear narrative voice and often the Author jumped from one POV to another in the space of few sentences. The overall result was quite messy and more tha
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
This story is about Rhuun, the demon Prince of a world called Eriis. He has felt like the ugly duckling of his world his entire life, and when the truth of his pedigree is revealed to his people and he is in danger, he escapes his demon home for the human world of Mistra. Armed with only the knowledge of the human world he gained from a romance novel written 100 years before, Rhuun encounters strange humans and even stranger animals on his travels in Mistra. Will he return home? Will he become l ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
I think this book could have been much more. The world is there. But not really. I would have wanted a fuller world building, cos I love that stuff.

Was this YA? Fantasy romance? I guess. The romance came late though and I was all, what? I got a bit surprised. Which was good, I like surprises. But I guess I should not call it fantasy romance then cos there were no romance, but still, it had that feeling.

Truthfully, like I have said earlier. I just wanted more. More of the world. Better character
Airwreckah
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
42%+ was world building and the main characters hadn't even met... I was about to give up.

Overall enjoyable though, and once he got through the door I liked Rhuun so much better.

If I could only change one thing (apart from the poor balance of world building to story) if would be the washed out time jumping between chapters. Linear writing is good. It is just annoying to jump back and forth in time over and over between every chapter, even events a few hours apart are sometimes told over he cours
Leslie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good world-building in this fantasy. I really enjoyed both the setup (the 2 worlds separated by a door) and the characters.
Marianne
Actual rating 2.5 stars. I've chosen to round up this time because I've noticed that some Netgalley reviewers DNF'ed and gave it a rating of 1 ★ despite having read less than 20%. That's bad form in my eyes.

I think most people who have read this book, reacted negatively to the fact that the blurb does not fit the majority of the story. The events the blurb refers to, take place in the last 25% of the book. The rest is darker and more depressing, while I'm sure the readers expected something ligh
Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts)
I really wanted to love this book, I wanted to love this book so much and then rub it in my friends face (Im jk I love you Eden) that I got it from NG and she didnt but that wasn't the case. It's not that I hate this book because I didn't. I just felt confused about 3/4 of the time, which was irritating. There was a lot of jumping around and switching of characters but there wasn't a clear method of telling who was talking and who wasn't.

So, I dont wanna really get into a review on a lot of thi
Bailey Skye
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads, arc
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Sand Prince had a huge opportunity to be a great fantasy novel, and perhaps it will redeem itself in its sequel. Unfortunately, I felt like it didn't come into its full potential.

The Sand Prince starts off a little bit confusingly. Although the narrative still had me interested in the story, there was a lot of unclear changes from character points of view which had me questioning who everyone was when we hadn't yet been introduc
Stalking
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this story while it was free on Amazon from the author. My review is my honest opinion of the book.
The Sand Prince was an interesting story to read. I like the combination of two worlds and how the author developed the main relationship. While Hellne and Malloy are secondary characters, the entire series is due to their relationship and the author never loses track of that over the time span and story changes. Each world is unique in its own right as well as the beings inhab
Katherine Paschal
Demons live on one side of the door and humans live on the other. They appear to have steady diplomatic relations, but an act of war causes the Demons to forever be locked on their side of the door, to suffer the harsh conditions that exist.
I did not like anything about this book, from start to finish. I don't like to be a negatively nelly, so I will make this short and to the point. I felt like I was reading a history book about a strange new culture. I don't like reading any sort of history,
Lucie Paris
Mixed feelings about this story. Hmm...

The plot is interesting, the characters are good but the story takes too much time for the action to really begin. Frustrating as it could be, every time I was on my way to put the book down, the author was coming up with new twists that kept me interested.

Really started to get into it when Rhunn travel through the door. A bit long as it's almost the end...

I guess the sequel will have already the sceneray deployed so it will be easier to enter into the core
Meredith
May 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, netgalley, dnf
DNF

I started to read this book thinking it was going to be a a funny fantasy romance. From what I read in the blurb that's what it sounded like.

I think this story had so much potential but just didn't reach its mark. There was too much back story that we really didn't need to know. It was also kind of confusing and I got bored why to many times to continue.

ARC provided by netgalley
Brandy F.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Valerie Roberson
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The storyline for this book is fantastic!
I, myself, found the beginning to seem to drag a little, but once I hit the middle of the book, Wow!, the adventure began and the whole thing picked up and was amazing.
I’ve read demon books before, but nothing like this one. Instead of being mean and deadly, the demons are just like you and I. I really liked that idea, it showed a whole other side of what they can be like.
I loved that the demons and humans could travel to each other’s realms and some we
Shekeilah
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating 2.5🌟. I just don't know how to input that without pressing the third star 😂. I could have loved the book, but there's a BUT.

First, I didn't really feel like there was a climax. There was no emotion stirred in me that made fe feel like I have to read so fast in order to catch up with what will happen next. It just feels so flat.

Second, I'm not sure I like any OTHER character except Rhunn. Aelle was nice at the beginning but she's like a complete puppet that only wants the throne.
StrangeAeons
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pay attention to the one and two star reviews that litter this page. Even these people are being kind. Any higher rating and I'm skeptical to its origins (friends, family, fellow hobbyists?).

Ultimately, if I'm to give this any compliment it would be that it's at least a pastiche of far superior characters, settings, plot devices, etc. that remind the reader of the good books they could be reading (or rereading again).

This seems like a blatant attempt to pander to the fantasy genre and create a f
Andrea Stewart
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The Sand Prince was a contradicting read for me. Usually when a book doesn't catch my interest in a few chapters, I know that it isn't for me. That being said, The Sand Prince doesn't quite work that way. The first half of the book was like a huge prologue. At the time it was hard for me to stay focused and interested in the story, but as I got further into the book I realized that the first half of the book was very important. So keep that in mind when you give Kim Alexander's book a try. By th ...more
Paige
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-romance
I got this book accidentally believing it to be a romance novel so a bit of the reason I took away a star is through no fault of the book's, fantasy novels just aren't my typical reading material. That being stated, I still found the first half of the book rather frustrating with the way Rhuun was treated by the other demons and even his own mother, but they are a different species, so perhaps I should have been a little more understanding of their differences. By the end of this book it was eas ...more
Lucinda
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. Just....no. I tried, I really tried. I couldn't get into this book. The author is good, but the way the book is written is just way to confusing. It jumps all over the place! It jumps all back and forth in time! I felt like I was just getting snippets, no real meat, no real depth. The only character with any depth is Hellne, but she isn't the main character. With that, I can't recommend this book. ...more
Rock Chick
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Frustrating at times.

A good Fantasy book needs a good backstory, the author needs to build a world I can get sucked into and believe in.

In this book, I wasn't interested in the world and thus in the heroes.

The book needed to be fast paced, with less unnecessary details.
Morgyn Star
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kim brings great voice to this tale along with cunning storytelling. When not zinging the reader with droll, she'll charm you with the unexpected.

Thank you NetGalley and Kim for the opportunity to read The Sand Prince. You set the hook well and I'm off to Amazon for the second in the series!
Sheelah
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
premise is good but needs more character and world building. Story can be so much more
Sonja
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
To be honest, this book was pretty boring for much of it. I had a really hard time making myself read it so it took longer than usual. It also didn't help that sometimes the story was all over the place and you couldn't tell who was talking at the moment. I wanted to quit quite a few times but I've never not finished a book, but mostly I was hoping that it would get better.

Some time ago the humans of Mistra and the demons of Eriis had interactions of a sort. The humans came to Eriis all the time
Bambi Unbridled
2 stars / 2 very small flames

So this book was different from the ones that I normally read. I'm not sure how to classify it really, so I will stick with fantasy. Based on the blurb, I was expecting a humorous fantasy romance. However there is no romance in this book until the very end, and not even the hint of romance until around 85% in. So if you are looking for a romance, you will be disappointed. (I do not consider what happened between Rhuun and Aelle a romance - it was cold, unemotional an
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Tea and Book

The Demon Door, what an intriguing name, and I will admit, the name is what got me. Kim Alexander begins a wonderful new trilogy with The Demon Door and does a great job of living up to the name.

Once the world between worlds was open, open to trade and interaction but the envy and fear of some managed to seal the door. The weapon the humans produced destroyed the demon world. Leaving what was a lush landscape, vibrant and alive and turned it into a wasting d
Kerr
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
description

Thank you to the author for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Publish date: 3rd November 2015

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I don't like this cover. It's not a member of the 'cover love' clan at all. Aside from that, it was brilliant! I loved it! The world building took some time and the jumping about with the time frame was a little annoying. We were learning things as we needed to know them - not always as they happened.

It was nice th
We Said It: Literary Reviews  w/ Ts Blogging
Title: An Epic Behind the Door
“The Sand Prince” by Kim Alexander

Reviewed by M. Windholtz
5/17/16
7:43 pm

The Sand Prince invites readers to step into the lands of Eriis and Mistra, one populated by demons, the other by humans. A mystical Door separates the two realms, and ambassadors between worlds maintain a connection between the two species. That relationship changes forever when a storm of magic wreaks havoc in the demon world.

Author Kim Alexander populates her captivating worlds with vibran
Antigone Barton
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got a chance to read this book ahead of release when a friend of mine who had reviewed it said it was a must read. I was skeptical because I don't usually read fantasy fiction -- I want to, because I enjoy the creativity, but too often have found it hard to relate to, hard to care. This book is different, while delivering the magic that fantasy fiction should.

In the world of Eriis, Rhuun -- the Sand Prince of the title -- has had the confusing experience of growing up surrounded by both privil
Demons are in 1 9 Apr 28, 2015 05:28AM

• To Save a Vampire (The Midnight Monsters, #1)
  • Between Cases (The City Between, #7)
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • When I Was You
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
  • The Night Gardener
  • The Impossible Girl
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Piranesi
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan, #19)
  • The Last Passenger (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #0.3)
  • Origami Man (Gibson Vaughn #5)
Kim Alexander grew up in the wilds of Long Island, NY and slowly drifted south until she reached Key West. After spending ten undocumented years in the Keys, she moved to Washington DC, where she lives with two cats, an angry fish, and her extremely patient husband. She began writing when she ran out of authors to interview (and they pulled the plug on her channel, Sirius XM Book Radio.)
Kim was in

The Demon Door (5 books)
  • The Heron Prince (The Demon Door, #2)
  • The Glass Girl (The Demon Door Book 3)
  • The River King: The Demon Door Book Four
  • The Claiming of the Duke: by Malloy dos Capeheart (The Demon Door)