Start by marking “Little People, Big Dreams: Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Little People, Big Dreams: Frida Kahlo

Little People, Big Dreams: Frida Kahlo

(Pequeña & GRANDE #2)

When Frida was a teenager, a terrible road accident changed her life forever. Unable to walk, she began painting from her bed. Her self-portraits, which show her pain and grief, but also her passion for life and instinct for survival, have made her one of the most famous artists of the twentieth century.

El segundo título de una colección de cuentos con los que niñas y niño
Published February 4th 2016 by Frances Lincoln Childrens Books (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Little People, Big Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little People, Big Dreams

Start your review of Little People, Big Dreams: Frida Kahlo
Hilary
2.5 stars. This is a series on important people's lives, aimed at young children. I only realised by reading reviews but the illustrator for this one has chosen to portray the people as thumbs with arms and legs, and a red teardrop where the nose should be. As you might expect the result is strange. The illustrations were very ugly and seemed particularly unsuited to a book about an artist. The illustrations did spoil the rest of the book which we would have otherwise rated higher.
Manybooks
Sorry, but for me in a given picture book, text and images do have to mesh and work well enough together (or at the very least, the combination of narrative and visuals needs to be and feel somewhat compatible and natural). And with this in mind, I really cannot give more than a one star rating to a picture book where the accompanying artwork has been such that the illustrations have actually aesthetically and visually very much creeped me out, a bit harsh as an assessment perhaps, but that is i ...more
James
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coco Chanel and Frida Kahlo are two of the subjects of Isabel Sánchez Vegara and Ana Albero’s ‘A First Introduction To…’ series of lovely little board books – clearly aimed at the younger reader (or the younger ‘read to’).

Essentially, these and other ‘First Introduction’ books are simplified versions of Vegara / Albero’s ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ book series. Both series’ of books provide basic but lovely introductions to the lives and achievements of inspirational women. There are pl
leynes
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My local bookstore has a new amazing display of children's literature and whenever I'm around I snuck myself in a corner for a couple of minutes and read some children's lit. I'm always picking up nonfiction books because I find it fascinating how knowledge is broken down to make it digestible for kids. Furthermore, it makes me so happy to see how diverse children's books have become. The representation of POC is so much better than when I was a kid. For example, I couldn't believe it when I saw ...more
Ylenia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This took 10 days to arrive in the mail and I finished it in less than 5 minutes. WORTH IT.
Kaitlin
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

This series aims to inform children about some interesting people who had big dreams and show them that these dreams can be achieved if you try. This particular book focuses on Frida Khalo who I new a fair bit about going into this book. I think if you want to read this then you need to know it's a children's illustrated book and it just scratches the surface, giving you the most important and well-known facts about
Jennifer B.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Then again, I love Frida Kahlo. It was quite amusing that all the people looked like thumbs.
Haleigh Calhoun
I know from previous classes and other research about Frida Kahlo, that her life was crazy and so were her paintings. I thought that maybe a children's book wouldn't be so intense. The entire book is super cute with illustrations and facts about Frida's life. However, there are two parts of the book that I think are too intense for an easier read book. There is a scene in which Frida gets into a car accident. Her body is laying in the street with blood everywhere - that for me was unexpected and ...more
Akoss
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a simplified version of Frida's life and a nice way to introduce non fiction picture books to kids. I enjoyed it more than my daughter did but I recon she will see more value in it in a couple of years.
I also appreciated the underlying message of achieving one's dreams no matter where you started. We're happy to have this book on our shelves.
TheVampireBookworm
I like this series and as a Kahlo fan I had to have this volume. It's written in a language which isn't pretentious (unlike Rebel Girls) so it actually is for kids. I just think a bit more info in it would help.
Christina Coy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How cute! Short, sweet, and to the point... Viva la vida!
Becky B
A very simple picture book biography of artist Frida Kahlo.

There are several other picture book biographies of Frida available now, and of all of them, this is my least favorite. It has the least information of all (it leaves out LOTS of facts, but the most glaring is that she and Diego Rivera's marriage didn't last...and in this it seems like he was always there to support her which is misleading, even the note in the back doesn't clarify this or many other things for that matter). The illustra
Audrey Laurey
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-stuff
I love this new "Little People, Big Dreams" series. All feature a different woman in history, her achievements, and biographical information you might not already know.

Though the series have the same author, the illustrators vary and also seem to be in touch with the personal style of the individual being featured in the biography. Just take a look at the covers of this as well as the Coco Chanel bio to see the stylized differences.

A beautiful series telling genuine stories about weirdos and o
Earl
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Little People, Big Dreams is a new series imported from Spain.

"In this new series, discover the lives of outstanding people from designers and artists to scientists. All of them went on to achieve incredible things, yet all of them began life as a little child with a dream. "

I like how they seem to be picking people that may not be the go-to subjects for biographies. These just seem like simple biographies to introduce young readers to these people. I hated the illustrations for the Frida Kahlo
Scottsdale Public Library
This is a perfect, colorful introduction to Frida Kahlo for kids. The biography is a nice way to simplify a complicated life for kids. The book has a timeline and real photos of Frida in the back. I appreciate how the author acknowledges Frida’s bus accident and pain she endured after, which was a huge influence on her artistic expression. In a lucky coincidence, I read this book to my kids right before seeing the movie Coco, which references Frida Kahlo, and my kids had the background knowledge ...more
Jessica
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was adorable! The illustrations were lovely and bright, and it’s a nice introduction for younger kids into Frida’s life I might get some of the others in the series cause the little illustrations are just SO sweet
Natasha (jouljet)
A delightful way to introduce my niece to Frida - to the point she knows the story now, and paired it with her visit last year to see a painting in Melbourne, and today's viewing of photo exhibition in Bendigo. We read this again, on the way, at the 2.5yo's request!

Covering some of the key events of Frida's life, this introduces Frida's polio, injuries from the bus accident, her painting, and her emotional 'ups and downs'.

Has sparked an interest in a young mind, which is a delightful outcome as
Christian West
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cute! A biography for children, this book tells the story of Frida Kahlo from her childhood illness then car accident to her marriage and career in art. The illustrations are rather odd, but likeable, with Frida being the only character to have eyebrows and everyone looking like a thumb.

Frida's trademark eyebrows make this a natural addition to my eyebrows shelf.

Frida Kahlo - Frida
Jon
Rowan loves this one, as do I. Such a fun intro that is playful, informative, empowering, and adorable. The art is simple yet effective, with color and variation in composition and pattern to keep him interested in every page. We read it together; he flips through it on his own.
Nora Ash
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to buy this for my class & i loved it. The illustrations are just too cuteeeee ...more
Jeimy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because of its target audience, this book glosses over the more dramatic aspects of Kahlo’s life, while still giving a sense of what inspired her art.
Rebecca Johnson
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moving steadily through this series, and I’m still absolutely adoring them. So sweet, so accessible, I encourage you to read any you can get your hands on.
Ely
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable, even if it does romanticise Kahlo's life a little.
Jenifer  Lavery
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

A beautiful start to get children interested in famous women such as the inspirational Frida khalo. With further links to find out more
Fromwordstoworlds
I have always been fascinated by Frida Kahlo and I think it is because of her passionate spirit and because of the color she brought in her life trying to minimize all her pain. So when I found Isabel Sánchez Vegara’s book I knew I had to buy it and add it to my Frida Kahlo collection. It is the second book in a series called Little People, BIG DREAMS that presents the lives of outstanding people insisting on their achievements and on the strong beliefs in their dreams.

The book has incredible il
Catherine
Author: Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara
Illustrator: Gee Fan Eng
Translator: Emma Martinez
Age Recommendation: Pre-School/Kinder
Art Style: Cartoons
Topic/ Theme: Resilience, biographic.
Setting: Mexico
Series: Little People, Big Dreams

This was a birthday present from my best friend because librarians gift books and I adore Frieda Kahlo. When I read picture story books about historical people I know I always look at what is included. I like the level of detail in this. Diego is mentioned as he should be but n

Braelyn Carwile
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
Frida Kahlo is a biography illustrating the life and accomplishments of Frida Kahlo. It demonstrates her childhood, how she overcame her accident, the inspiration of her artwork, and how her work was viewed and loved by Americans.
I enjoyed this book a lot. I have been reading all the ones in the Little People, Big Dreams recently, and I have really enjoyed them. I like the illustrations and the words are easy to follow but some have some words that could be difficult for early readers. I also e
Joanne
Originally posted on Jo's Scribbles.

The Little People, Big Dreams series from Frances Lincoln is a series telling the stories of well known women, and the dreams they had as children, showing that children can one day achieve their dreams, no matter what they might be. They cover the hardships these women faced, but keep the stories appropriate for the readership. Each story also includes a short biography with photographs of the women.

Frida Kahlo's story covers her sickly childhood and how, aft
Elizabeth Lancaster
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-350
This book tells the story of Frida Kahlo. She was a famed artist who came from Mexico. She went through many trials as both a child and an adult but continued to follow her dream. She eventually married Diego Rivera, another artist who encouraged Frida to continue painting. She used her paintings to show her feelings and explain what she was experiencing. She eventually passed away in 1954 but not before influencing people all around the world.

I loved this book. It was so interesting to learn a
Amanda Kearney
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells a simple version of Frida Kahlo's life. In her childhood, she got sick with polio and one of her legs was smaller than the other. Then, she was in a bus crash that caused her several injuries. Even those these were setbacks, this did not keep Frida Kahlo down. She started painting while she was in bed and her pictures became famous. She even had a solo exhibit in New York. The book also talked about how she fell in love with a boy named Diego. Overall, Frida's life had several up ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rosa Parks
  • Emmeline Pankhurst
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
  • Neon Leon
  • Rocket Says Look Up!
  • My Journey to the Stars
  • Mae Jemison (Rookie Biographies)
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • You Matter
  • How to Make Friends with a Ghost
  • By Order of the Peaky Blinders
  • Frida Kahlo and Her Animalitos
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Ready-to-Read Level 3
  • What’s That in Dog Years?
  • Luigi. Il giorno in cui ho regalato una pianta a uno sconosciuto.
  • My Pet Star
  • Hvad Ingen Ved
Maria Isabel Sánchez Vegara, born in Barcelona, Spain, is a writer and creative director perhaps best known as the author of much of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Each book tells the childhood story of one of the world's female icons in an entertaining, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, allowing them to identify with the characters in each story.

Pequeña & GRANDE (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Coco Chanel (Little People, Big Dreams, #1)
  • Audrey Hepburn (Pequeña & GRANDE, #3)
  • Amelia Earhart
  • Agatha Christie (Pequeña & GRANDE, #5)
  • Marie Curie (Little People, Big Dreams, #6)
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Dian Fossey (Pequeña & GRANDE, #8)
  • Gloria Fuertes (Pequeña & GRANDE, #9)
  • Ada Lovelace (Little People, Big Dreams, #10)
  • Jane Austen (Pequeña & GRANDE, #11)

News & Interviews