Start by marking “The Grief Hole” as Want to Read:
The Grief Hole

The Grief Hole

There are many grief holes.

There's the grief hole you fall into when a loved one dies.

There's another grief hole in all of us; small or large, it determines how much we want to live.

And there are the places, the physical grief holes, which attract suicides to their centre.

Sol Evictus, a powerful, charismatic singer, sends a young artist into The Grief Hole to capture the f
ebook
Published August 26th 2016 by IFWGPublishingAustralia (first published July 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Grief Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grief Hole

Robert Hood
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, this is a superb and indeed powerful novel whatever genre you want to place it in. I hesitate to call it a Horror novel (though it is), because that incorrectly evokes certain responses in some people, who will incorrectly assume it is generic and gorily sensationalistic. Believe me, you have never read anything quite like this. Is it disturbing? Yes, but in a thoughtful way as the best literature often is. It creates a transcendent metaphor for emotions that affect us all. The ...more
Matthew
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most brilliant and disturbing books I've ever read. Period.

Full review to come.
Ginger Nuts
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and some people say you shouldn't judge a book by its opening line, however sometimes the opening to a book is perfect, you can't help but judge a book in this manner.

Picture
The opening to Kaaron Warren's THE GRIEF HOLE is a perfect encapsulation of why this book is such a triumph. At first glance, it is a simple statement, but when you delve below the surface, this opening sentence is full of subtext, dread and a sense of finality three things
Stephen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. There were a lot of trigger points for me and it required a few sessions to get through.

The imagery is stunning and the characters are vivid. Genre-busting and broad in scope, it will amaze and shock you.

Highly recommended.

Disclaimer: I was a proofreader for this book for the publisher.
Alan Baxter
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy, horror
Well, I've just read the book that's going to sweep the horror awards this year, and maybe many other awards too. A truly disturbing, yet poignant and beautiful piece of work. This is Kaaron Warren at her best. Beautiful, tragic, powerful. Just brilliant.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘She could reinvent herself.’

Theresa sees ghosts. The ghosts that Theresa sees are the ghosts that haunt you, the ghosts which indicate how you are going to die. Mostly Theresa sees the ghosts of battered women: she works to find emergency housing for women in crisis. And how close the ghosts are gives an indication of how soon death might come. Theresa helps where she can, but one of her interventions leads to her being injured. Theresa, still grieving from losing the love of her life, moves fr
Mieneke
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, horror
Kaaron Warren’s writing is wonderful. I always enjoy her short fiction and the one novel of hers I read, Mistification , was absolutely amazing. Warren always manages to create complexly layered, strangely weird stories that are genuinely creepy, and utterly compelling. Her latest novel The Grief Hole, out from IGFW Publishing last week, is no different. It’s an intense story looking at grief in all forms, featuring a heroine who is at once sympathetic and somewhat off-putting.

At times it felt
Cat Sheely
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read several of Kaaren Warren's books with the Walking Tree being my favourite until this one. I had kept the book for a day when I could read and concentrate and enjoy. Kaaron's writing is unusual and absorbing, keeping you turning the page. I'm also very lucky to be acquainted with Kaaron.

The story is about Theresa, a young woman with a special talent, seeing ghosts that show how people might die and how soon. Her family is different and secretive, some with other talents as similarly unp
Randolph
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know why this was published on Smashwords. It proves my theory about awards too. I didn't hip to the labial cover until just now since I had the Ebook edition. Of course it looks nothing like the description in the text. Bloody awful. Truly appalling.
Rose Hartley
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written, disturbing and surprising novel with two of my favourite things: ghosts and revenge.
Donna Hanson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing read, so well balanced and so finely written. It's not horror. Not that blood curdling kind. It looks at human nature, the evil that people do but with such inventiveness that only Warren can manage. She weaves a story like she weaves her very cool ideas. She examines grief and guilt and how interlinked they are. She exposes the underbelly of gender relations, of aggression and violence. Most of all I thought she ended the story on an optimistic note. I thoroughly recomm ...more
Nancy
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book was way out of my comfort zone
but I gave it a chance.
I was impressed!
Review
Lisa Hannett
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No review or rating until after the Aurealis Award for Best Horror Novel 2017 is announced; I received this book as a judge for that category of the Awards.
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
Kaaron Warren is a multi-award-winning author and The Grief Hole shows why. I've held off reading her work for a while, since horror is really not my jam. However, when The Grief Hole was nominated for a Ditmar Award, I knew it was time for me to dive in.

At first glance, the book looks like supernatural horror. Theresa can, after all, see ghosts. These ghosts reflect the way a person is most likely to die.

However, the ghosts are not the scary part.

Although they're keen to gather more of their nu
Michelle
Beautifully written and disturbing horror novel that doesn't just fall back on overused tropes. Recommended.
Bren MacDibble
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The premise of a man so powerful and so corrupt and immune to the law, that he plays with and disposes of young lives the way Sol Evictus does, is the real horror in this horror story, because when he wields his power in a charming way, as do many powerful men, people fall for him. And that is what, I think leaves the reader feeling vulnerable. I mean, don't we all see that all around us every day?
The Grief Hole, the house, the crazy great aunt, the sister's unspoken power, it is all nicely cree
Dan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A haunting descent, Warren takes the reader into a place none of us would ever want to go. If you could see the ghosts of future deaths, and your gift, much as it tortures you, might save a life, would you? If art and grief and death and beauty were all wrapped up in one bloody canvas, could you overcome the ghosts in yourself for the sake of resolution; for the taste of vengeance? If you found yourself in the grip of the grief hole, could you find your way out?
Steven Paulsen
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Profound, disturbing, beautiful, poignant, stunning, dark, intimate and powerful. The Grief Hole is so well written it draws you in effortlessly and makes you feel like you’re living and breathing it. I’ll write a full review once I’ve had time for it to settle, but until then all I can say is that it’s just brilliant!
Mark J Kettlewell
The pathos and despair in our modern age

Beautifully written, insightful and intensely tragic. But there are always rays of hope. This story is simply amazing, and a testimonial to all of us who have a grief hole.
C.H. Pearce
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very intense ride. Loved it!
Daniel
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
The more I read, what at first felt like stylised yet simple prose was revealed to just be mediocre prose. Characters were bland, their motivations and desires often flip flopping with no real reason, and the books supernatural concepts sort of just flung onto the page as an afterthought. I appreciate what Warren was trying to do, but the quality of the writing just wasn’t there.

But maybe I’m just wrong.
Kyla Ward
"Each monster has only one way to die. There are no rules. You need to know the monster to kill it…"

At age twenty-four, Theresa was a social worker, helping women to escape abuse. She was described as "a born counsellor", "Saint Theresa". But then she made the decision that landed her in hospital and a client in the morgue. Guilt chases her from her task, because like the protagonist of Warren's first novel, Slights, Theresa is haunted, but not by the ghosts of the dead. Cruelly, she sees the gh
Dave
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Literary Horror: The Grief Hole by Kaaron Warren 15 45 Dec 12, 2017 08:49PM
I wanted to be a writer from a very young age, and wrote my first proper short story at 14. I also wrote a novel that year, called “Skin Deep”‘, which I really need to type up.

I started sending stories out when I was about 23, and sold my first one, “White Bed”", in 1993. Since then I’ve sold about 70 short stories, two short story collections and three novels.

I’m an avid and broad reader but I al