Start by marking “Amazon Adventure (Knight Books)” as Want to Read:
Amazon Adventure (Knight Books)

Amazon Adventure

(Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures #1)

Hal and Roger go with their father on a collectin trip down the Amazon, but their father is called away and they continue the expedition on their won. As they sail through the country of the headhunters in search of vampire bats, boa constrictors, iguanas and gaint ants, they have some terrifyingly narrow escapes - and not only from the strange creatures that surround them ...more
Published 1972 by Knight (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Amazon Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazon Adventure

Start your review of Amazon Adventure (Knight Books)
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
What a fantastic adventure.
But... it was missing 2 vital things. But we'll get to that.
I can't believe that this book was written before Google was around. I can't imagine the amount of research that went into this novel.
It is fantastically educational. Every animal mentioned in the story I know a lot better now. And I know a ton of things about the Amazon that I'd never heard about before.
It's a great adventure, as I mentioned before, and the ending was actually very exciting with quite a few
Kate Robins
The more I read of the book, the more I got into it! It's easy to read, and parts of it are really humorous. The descriptions of the animals and how they acted and moved were really good, some of which I had to Google to see what they looked like.
I feel maybe that some of the serious moments in the book were slightly overlooked.
I really enjoyed it though, especially the ending. I would never have been able to survive on a 'floating island' like Hal and Roger did!
Harold Ogle
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, children, horror
This is a classic children's adventure novel from 1949. John Hunt is a zookeeper for a zoo on Long Island, and he spends much of his time traveling the world to rescue and acquire animal specimens for the zoo. As the story begins, he has decided that his two sons, Hal (nineteen) and Roger (thirteen) are finally old enough to join him on an expedition. This expedition will take them deep into Western Brazil, in the unexplored sections of one of the Amazon's tributaries, where they will hire nativ ...more
Jon Shanks
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved these books as a child. Between the school and public library I probably read all of Willard Price's Adventure books before I reached double digits. Cracking stories full of exciting exploits and natural history facts. So, I was rereading with a little trepidation, worried that the old magic wouldn't be there anymore. However, although it is a little worrying how easily the boys reach for the guns and how distasteful the idea of catching animals to sell to circuses and zoos are, at the c ...more
Allana
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I love this series. Although this book isn't my favourite in the series I still enjoy it even though I've read it a few times. Simple but fun and interesting
it's also good that you learn some things about the animals and the Amazon (though not all the fact are accurate) and it's always interesting seeing all the different ways they use to catch the animals (and bad guys!)
Malcolm Cox
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Written and based at a time where terms like 'animal cruelty' and 'animal conservation' were not fully fledged, Willard Price's Adventures may be a bit much for the sensibilities for some of today's readers, young and less young. They are very much of their time which should be taken into consideration in regards to the portrayal of the native Amazonians.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way... This story was an enjoyable traipse down the Amazon river. The boys see many of the Amazon's marve
James Roy
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to rate all of the Willard Price books as four stars. Not because I think they're all that special (hell, they're basically the works of an eco-terrorism apologist), but because, when I was twelve, they were THE BEST BOOKS I'D EVER READ. I lapped them up. Loved 'em.
Ronald
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
possibly read in winter 1967
Soho_Black
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
I’ve been a collector of book series from a young age. I started with complete collections of Enid Blyton’s “Famous Five” series, as well as the slightly lesser known “Secret Seven”. This was followed by “The Chronicles of Narnia”, although with only seven books in that series, that was easy enough. As I got slightly older, I came across Willard Price’s “Adventure” books and made sure I had a full set of those, although it’s rare that I find anyone who was as big a fan of those books as I was.

Th
Aaron
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Willard Price's Adventure series, originally published from the 40s to 80s, was always a favourite of mine as a child so I decided to buy them again. It was recently republished with more attractive covers than my previous collection. The new books come with a special foreward by Willard Price's granddaughters who acknowledge the casual racism. It's not so much an apology, but more a 'times were different back then, deal with it' kind of note.

The first book in the series introduces the Long Isl
Tim
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
First book in my quest to read the Willard Price Adventure Series books in order.

Amazon Adventure begins with dad John Hunt taking his two boys Hal and Roger on an expedition to the uncharted Amazon to collect wild animals for sale to zoos. In a Blyton-esque twist Mr Hunt gets called away half way through as there is a mysterious arson attack at their Florida property. Therefore their very livelihood depends on the boys' success.

Danger lurks at every turn with the gang who destroyed their ranch
Samar
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
I liked this book because it’s very adventurous. The bothers are Hal and Robert who are the main characters who have sent off on an adventure in the amazon jungle where they meet animals to capture and give them to zoos around the world. The fist animal they encounter is a vampire bat which was sucking Roberts’s blood. They dint know what it was at first then they released that it was a vampire bat and they captured it. a day after they capture it they found tout that the way it sucks loo is I b ...more
Emily Sims
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: This book features two main characters, Hal and Roger. These two boys set out on an adventure with their father to the Amazon. Their expedition ends up getting off course and their father has to return but the boys stay. Read to find what happens to Hal and Roger and if they make it back home!

Evaluation: I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to read to upper grades in elementary school. The descriptions in this book are great and help draw the reader in to the text. Becaus
Margaret
We purchased the Hal & Rogers Adventure Series book for our boys when they were younger and have shared them with many friends. I myself have never read them, this past weekend I discovered the audio version was available for the Amazon Adventure, it’s not long, just over 6 hours a perfect fit for our road trip.

Canadian born author Willard Price wrote this series of 14 books beginning in the late 1930s. It’s a series that my husband inhaled as a boy, he loved reading about the different adventur
Neville Ridley-smith
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Using the word dated doesn't seem appropriate for this book.

The zoological knowledge is all still relevant and that's one of the great things about a book like this - that you can actually learn something while being entertained. Also, capturing creatures and putting them in zoos is still a valid pursuit - it's just called conservation.

Also there's a hint of MacGyver - it was fun to see what Hal did on the floating island to make deal with water/food/fire.

The storytelling could be a bit better b
The Book Squirrel
Action, adventure, survival, environment, conservation...
I loved these books when I was a kid. At the time, they seemed to border on sci-fi regarding the at-the-time-amazing technology the boys used.
Of course, looking back you can see how these stories are flawed, but I still think they are enjoyable. In fact, it would make for a really interesting middle school science project for children to read one of these books and then compare them with the knowledge of the world and technology we have to
Andy Hickman
Amazon Adventure (Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures #1) by Willard Price

Enjoyable childhood read
“Us?” Hal’s analytical brain was working hard. “It can’t be a personal grudge. You get along with everybody. You haven’t any personal enemies. It can’t be political—you don’t mix in politics. There are lots of revolutionaries in these Latin American countries with axes to grind, but you’ve never had anything to do with that sort of thing. So it must be economic.”
Mark
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my oldest daughter as I loved reading these books when I was a youngster. Now I’m living in a completely different part of the world in a completely different age - the nostalgia was strong but hell there’s some politically incorrect stuff happening in this book! My daughter sadly quietly hid the book and read her David Walliams.
Theo Hall
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
- This book was better than the other books I've read in the series so far, it had an overall plot, and many different subsections of problems and resolutions, and I also found the animals Price described to be interesting to read about.
- I would recommend this to anyone who likes adventure or learning about animals.
Hannahgamble123hotmail.Com
Shanaka Rusith
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fascinating and educational. One of the books i will never forger. One of the most enjoyed books
DMackD
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get enough of these books as a boy. And will enjoy giving them to my kids to read soon...
Thomas Carr
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great series that encouraged me to read in my early teens.
Jax
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I read this book in order to complete a task in a reading challenge. I only mention this so that you'll understand, it's not something I would ordinarily have picked up.

Having said that - it wasn't all that bad. But there were still too many things that irritated, or annoyed me, that I can only really say that it was an O.K read - even taking into account that it was written decades ago, and is now probably very outdated.
Though I suppose it could also be argued that it was written well enoug
Sketching Girl
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I read this book years ago, when I was a child. And I absolutely loved it! I definitely want to track down a copy of this book and read it again. Memories of the adventures in this book, in particular a spitting cobra, and the friendship between these brothers (Hal and Roger), made me want to google to see if I could find the author and title of this book again. I could only remember that it took place in the Amazon jungle, that one of the brothers was called Hal, and the Spitting Cobra incident ...more
Joseph
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very informative adventure, a mixture of nature-documentary and boyish fun. Unfortunately, when I say boyish, I mean there are no women in this story, and you will learn of a new adverb: "manfully". The racism toward Indians and the callous dismissal / gloss-over of serious tragedies toward humans and animals were pretty offensive, and I couldn't really get past that. That said, the research and information packed into a story for kids is pretty impressive, and if the other aspect ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Two boys, Roger and Hal, travel with their father down the Amazon in search of creatures for zoos. They fight cannibalistic Indians, piranhas, crocodiles, and even an angry anteater. This is an adventure book filled with excitement and drama and scares. There are any number of not-so-politically-correct moments and, as a parent, Roger got on my last nerve, but I loved reading this book.
Hilary
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, adventure
I read and loved these boys' adventure books in my pre- and early teen years, and now my 6yo loves them too! Great for bedtime reading, with lots to talk about and research afterwards, from satellite views of the Amazon and Rio Negro to bamboo and tapirs.

The cliffhangers and occasional danger were thrilling but not too scary, and there were a few funny moments too. Think of a cross between Hardy Boys and My Family and Other Animals and you won't be far wrong.
Melanie
When I read the Adventure series when I was in middle school, I decided I wanted to be a naturalist, just like Hal and Roger Hunt, lol. In the intervening years, I've changed my career path, but I a lot of my eclectic knowledge about animals (or curare) still comes from Willard Price's books:)

I found this series again, boxed up in the attic, and decided to do a reread:) I'm glad I did. Although I can now tell it's pretty dated, I still completely enjoyed Hal and Roger's adventures:) 3.5*
Tig
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Remember reading some of this series as a child and loving them, so I thought I would take a memory trip. Reading it now I was a bit shocked by the outdated ideas, I nearly feel as if all the problems facing the Amazon rainforests were caused by this book alone.
However, if suspending belief and overlooking the outdated ideas (and unnecessary carnage) it does make for an exciting read.

• Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Willard Price: Leopard Adventure
  • The Taken (DI Erica Martin, #2)
  • Nathan Astle
  • Willard Price: Shark Adventure
  • The Panda Book of Horror
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • Zero Hour (Nick Stone, #13)
  • Jonah Lomu Autobiography
  • A Falcon Flies (The Ballantyne Novels, #1)
  • Threat Vector (Jack Ryan Universe, #15)
  • Men of Men (The Ballantyne Novels, #2)
  • Hungry as the Sea
  • The Haj
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • The Leopard Hunts in Darkness (The Ballantyne Novels, #4)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #3)
Willard DeMille Price was born in Peterborough, Ontario, and moved to the US when he was four. He got his MA and Litt.D from Columbia. He held a special interest for natural history, ethnology and exploration and made numerous expeditions for the American Museum of Natural History and the National Geographic Society. Price also went on to edit various magazines on travel and world affairs and spen ...more

Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • South Sea Adventure