Start by marking “Why Shoot a Butler?” as Want to Read:
Why Shoot a Butler?

Why Shoot a Butler?

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  3,603 Ratings  ·  299 Reviews
It is a complete mystery why anyone would choose to murder the trusted old butler of Norton Manor. Barrister turned amateur detective, Frank Amberley, has reason to suspect that the shooting involves the nervy young lady discovered at the scene of the crime, a snooping gentleman in the halls of Greythorne and then a second dead body. A dramatic tale of upstairs, downstairs ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Arrow (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Why Shoot a Butler?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Shoot a Butler?

Carol  ꧁꧂
The good news is that this turned out to be a Heyer that I hadn't read before.

The bad news was that it was absolutely terrible.

Three things save this book from a one star rating.

The first is that my personal one stars for GH's books (not on GR, mainly because I have no intention of reading them ever again) are so much worse. WSaB at least has glimpses of Heyer's wonderful wit. Helen (mercifully suppressed contemporary) & My Lord John (leaden historical) don't.

The second is that two of the s
Sophia
I am having such mixed feelings and luck with each new mystery that I pick up by this author. Overall, I enjoy these, but there are also bits that keep them from being perfectly satisfying.

This one returns to one of my favorite mystery settings- the country house/village- and had the usual range of quirky, colorful, and secretive characters. However, the characters are introduced and go about their business without being drawn with any depth. The plot is introduced and I loved the creative turn
Holly
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

This is only my second book by Heyer and my first mystery of hers. I honestly can't wait to read more by her and, hopefully, this year I will. I enjoyed this. For the most part, it wasn't so much the mystery that I liked but, rather, the characters. I loved Frank Amberley. He was somewhat of an ass but he appealed to me. As did his family: his aunt, uncle, and cousin--their interactions with each other were very amusing. I found numerous moments to be funny. Especially between Amberley and Shirl
Kirsti
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't like being sick, but I do like having an entire day to sit in an easy chair with a heating pad and one of those ridiculous blankets-with-sleeves and a 1930s English murder mystery. As far as I can remember, this is the first Georgette Heyer I've read, but I want to read more of her books. Lots of twists and turns, plus expressions that are new to me, such as "Not strictly the clean potato, eh?" I'm still trying to figure that one out.
QNPoohBear
Barrister Frank Amberley tries a shortcut to his uncle's county house and becomes totally lost. He stops to ask a young lady for directions and noticing her distress, he looks carefully and finds a sports car with a corpse behind the wheel. Though the girl has a gun, she maintains her innocence. Frank heads off to the police station to report the murder but leaves the young woman out of it. The police are baffled by the crime and the Sargent, looking for a promotion, enlists Frank's help. Frank ...more
Leslie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, kindle, mysteries
I think that of all Heyer's mysteries, this one is my favorite. I guess it could be classified as a "cozy" since the main 'detective' isn't a professional (he's a barrister, but this case isn't related to his work in any way) but it also has aspects of romantic suspense. Sort of a cross between Mary Stewart and Dorothy Sayers.

One aspect of not being a police procedural that leapt out at me during this latest reread is it allowed Heyer to give free rein to her genius for repartee. Amberley is a
Brenda H
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Amberley is on his way to dinner at his Uncle and Aunt's estate, when he comes across a young woman, Shirley Brown, standing in the road next to a car with a dead man in the driver's seat.

Mr. Amberley is asked by the local police force to lend a hand as he was instrumental in closing a prior case. Between directing the bungling constabulary and keeping the inept inspector busy with wild goose chases, Mr. Amberley solves not only this crime, but several others that occur as a result.

While I
Wealhtheow
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, historical
Frank Amberley is on his way to visit relatives when he comes across a still-warm dead body in a car, and a beautiful young woman holding a pistol standing over the body. She refuses to explain herself, and after briefly examining the scene, Frank drives away. He does inform the police of the dead body, but not that he saw Shirley Brown. The dim low class police officers beg Frank to help them solve the case, and he does--while not telling them a single clue that he finds, or informing him of an ...more
Hannah
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads, mysteries
Why shoot a butler, indeed?
Good butlers are hard to come by, and managing a large English manor house circa 1933 calls for a discrete, efficient, capable family servant. Unfortunately, this particular butler is currently behind the wheel of his master's vehicle with a hole through his chest. No more butlering for him, poor chap.

Who killed Dawson, and why, is just the tip of the puzzle for amateur sleuth Frank Amberley. His dinner engagement with his aunt and uncle is interrupted by a wrong turn
John Frankham
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
The second of Georgette Heyer's detective novels, this one starts with a barrister coming across a car with a murdered man and a young woman standing by. He reports the death but does not mention the girl, as he then proceeds to investigate .....

Well-written, good plot and cast of characters. Exciting, and with a touch of romance. A good light read.
Mmyoung
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
For the fan of Heyer who reads this book because they are entranced with her Regency Romances it will probably be a let down. It is not a badly written book and while the plot is cliched it is not patently ridiculous as is the case with some books written contemporaneously, although it does lack the lightness and wit that readers of the Regency Romances came to expect from the author.

For the fan of Heyer’s detective stories this, her second murder mystery, shows the author still experimenting w
Amy
Heyer has done it again! Why Shoot A Butler? is full of wit, murder, and memorable characters. At times I was giggling hysterically and other times on the edge of my seat with suspense. Literally chapters are devoted to driving around and I found it so suspenseful I couldn't put the book down. Maybe I'm just susceptible 'cause its her.
Amberley is your very typical Heyer Hero, which is to say, caustic and perfectly dressed. I loved him. He was like any of her Regency heroes, just replaced in a '
Fiona
Full of plot holes, rewards dangerous misogyny and general assholery, characters smile with their eyebrows. I'd give this one a miss, if I were you. Go and read a good Christie.

(Incidentally, I have been and will be off the radar for a bit as house moving is in progress and new wifi has yet to be connected. Also I'm drowning in cardboard boxes. See you all in a few more days.)
Christina
Feb 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Why shoot a butler?

Why indeed.

Frank Amberley is a barrister who stumbles onto a dead man on his way to a dinner party. The dead man is in a car, shot. Beside the car is a young lady with a gun. After checking the gun, seeing it hadn't been fired and convincing himself she had nothing to do with it, Amberley lets the girl go. He stops off at the police station to tell them and then, naturally, goes to the dinner party. One musn't be so rude as to allow something like murder interfere with dinner
Sandy H
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I only finished this book because it was on my challenge list for a group and by the time I'd decided I wasn't particularly interested in finishing it I felt like I had already invested so much time in it I should just forge ahead. I had read a fair amount of Georgette Heyer in my youth and recalled liking her, so I started the book with some hope. Apparently my tastes have changed in the intervening years, however, because I just couldn't like her main character in this book at all. I found not ...more
Seizure Romero
Jan 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A fun read shot through with dry humor & sarcasm. While Frank Amberley (the rudest man in London) makes disparaging remarks and not-so-subtle jibes at the expense of almost everyone (mostly the local constabulary), many of my favorite moments come from his aunt, Lady Matthews. She is nowhere near as lost as she sounds, yet speaks almost exclusively in short scattered sentences and non sequiturs.

Sir Humphrey, Frank's uncle, is voicing his displeasure at the way Frank's investigation is interf
Susan in NC
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read if you're a fan of Golden Age British mysteries - although I enjoy Heyer's Regency romances even more! In this case barrister Frank Amberley is lost taking a bad shortcut to his family's country house when he comes across a sports car pulled to the side of a country road; it's pitch dark, there's a dead man behind the wheel with a gunshot wound, and a mysterious young woman standing beside the car...

Off to a great start, right? I thought so too, but for some reason it took me a while t
Saul
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Georgette Heyer wrote ‘Why Shoot a Butler?’ in 1933 when mystery novel were fairly fashionable. It is an ok English murder mystery story but, unlike Christie’s novel, for example, this book did not withstand the test of time particularly well.

This type of format, over the years, has become formulaic, predictable and a tad repetitive and only genuinely well written novels of this genre are worth a read. Personally, I would not bother with this one!

The plot gets unnecessarily complicated at the en
Ladiibbug
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
A good mystery, copyright 1936.

This is my third Heyer read, and the writing is as witty as the others. Barrister Frank Amberley discovers a young woman at night beside a car on a deserted road. The driver is dead.

On his way to a dinner party, Amberley decides to stick around and investigate. His verbal gymnastics are a delight to read, whether he's creatively insulting an unsuspecting victim, digging for clues, or just being himself.

Mo
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars

I think the plotline got unnecessarily complicated. I had to read the final chapter twice to take it all in. It seemed like a lot of stuff thrown at me all at once. Of course, the fact that it was 2 am MAY have had something to do with it! :)

While I always enjoy Georgette Heyer's writing, I must confess that I like her Regency novels more than her detective / mystery books.

Lioness
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Plot
On his way to dinner at the house of his aunt and uncle Frank Amberly, an amateur detective, takes a wrong turn. On that road he finds a murdered man in a car, and there is a young lady, Shirley, standing next to the car. He reports it to the police, but leaves out Shirley because he feels that she didn't shoot the man (who turns out to be a butler). However the police would immediately arrest and hang her for the murder if they knew about her. Amberly finds that this an interesting case

Samantha Fraenkel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simply delightful. I'm a big Heyer fan but have somehow never managed to read any of her mystery novels. This was such a fun read, full of classic witty dialogue, an intriguing mystery (in the vein of Agatha Christie), sassy ladies (Lady Matthews in particular), and a leading man, who at times, seemed to have been plucked right out a Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler novel. I'll definitely be reading more Heyer mysteries in the near future.

Reading Copy Provided by Raincoast Books
Ellen
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the cover of this book. It is an old fashioned English country house mystery. There were some term either old fashioned or British that I didn't understand and the mystery was quite complicated to me. I had trouble following it even in the recap near the end. The dialogue was well written and I enjoyed the book.
Nicole D.
Frank Amberley is on his way to visit his Aunt,Uncle,and Cousin when he stumbles upon a murder and a girl at the scene of the crime.She swears she didn't shoot the man. Turns out the murdered man is a butler on one of the nearby estates. But who would want to shoot a butler?

Frank Amberley is a lawyer and also is very arrogant but I still find his character like able. I loved his quick wit and think he is wasted as a lawyer and should become a detective. He would be heck of a lot more capable the
Carol Fillmore
A British mystery, in the tradition of Agatha Christie, written by Georgette Heyer, the renowned author of Regency romances. It was surprising to learn this author wrote mysteries.
This is a traditional mystery, set in an English manor house. The story begins with a man driving on a backroad on his way to visit his uncle's country manor home in the English countryside. He happens on a young woman standing beside a car on that road. When he looks closer at the car, realizes a dead man is behind
Abigail Hartman
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Well, I guessed who did it, but only late in the game - and, too, I wasn't sure why the individual had Done Them In.

Why Shoot a Butler? was a fairly relaxed introduction to Heyer's mysteries: not very creepy, not very involved, but fun because Heyer's characters are fun. I was particularly fond of the smooth-sailing Lady Matthews. Mr. Amberley, I confess, was not my favorite. On the surface his curt abruptness seems reminiscent of Charles Rivenhall, but I found him too rude, especially to his au
Ann
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Our hero, Frank Amberly is intelligent and mysterious. He never lets anyone in on his thought process. He just tells people what he needs them to do, or manipulates them into it. Unfortunately for the reader, Amberly doesn't let them in on it either.

It's a fairly boilerplate whodunnit, hurt by the fact that there's really no way the reader has a chance to solve it for themselves. All the relevant facts are kept from you until the very end.

However, this is a Heyer book, so the characters are fa
Nose-in-a-book
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Why Shoot a Butler is a very entertaining book. It kept me company for a week on the train as I rode to work. The hero of the novel, is sarcastic and condescending. He kind of reminds me of Dr. House, so rude you can't help but like him. He has a smart remark for everyone.

The mystery itself is OK. It keeps you reading, leaving clues along the way that are tied together and summed up at the end. However, allot goes on unseen. The amateur sleuth keeps all his cards hidden and reveals them at the
Mare
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the first Georgette Heyer mystery I'd read and it was a joy. English manor mysteries are always appealing and her wry, witty writing was an unexpected treat. The book starts with Frank Amberley finding a car with a corpse in it, and a young lady standing near it, on his way to his aunt and uncle's house one night. A fancy dress ball, more murders, and a wild ride combine to make a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys tradtional English mys ...more
Judy
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If "the butler did it" is the rule of thumb, then what happens when the butler is the victim? And what happens when the dashing amateur detective (upon whom the local police depend for solving their difficult cases) is keeping vital evidence to himself? And why won't the lovely young woman discovered at the scene of the crime trust the dashing amateur detective?

Well, if we knew all that, there wouldn't be any reason to read the book!

April 28, 2018 I don't know who wrote the above review but it l
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery #6)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)