Start by marking “Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)

Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway #4)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,868 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Slumped on a seat under an oak tree is old Sampson Warrenby, with a bullet through his brain. He is discovered by his niece Mavis, who is just one of ten people in the village in the running for chief suspect, having cause to dislike Warrenby intensely. Only Chief Inspector Hemingway can uncover which of the ten has turned hatred into murder.

An upstart solicitor is killed
Published September 7th 2006 by Arrow (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Detection Unlimited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detection Unlimited

Sophia
I'm making my way slowly along through all the old Georgette Heyer detective stories that are told in the tone and style of the Golden Age of British Detective stories.

A victim that not a soul liked, a village full of quirky suspects, and a chief inspector with a delicious sense of humor while he dug out all the secrets, sifted through the facts and clues, and eventually arrived at the truth.

Like the old-style detective stories, this one introduces the characters while building to the moment of
Nikki
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
I gather I'm reading this somewhat out of order, in that there are several other books featuring the same detective and this is the last of them (and the last of Georgette Heyer's mysteries as a whole, I believe?). I blame the fact that they're not numbered in any way. Not that I think it much mattered: Chief Inspector Hemingway couldn't really win my heart, given that my fictional detective sweetie is always going to be Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter. But he was fun enough to spend some time wit ...more
Kim

First published in 1953, this was the last of Georgette Heyer’s mysteries and the last in my project to read them all. Written in order to pay a tax bill (if I remember correctly from Jennifer Kloester’s excellent biography, Georgette Heyer: Biography of a Bestseller) the novel has a cast of quirky characters and is full of Heyer's witty dialogue. The plot – a reasonably standard whodunit with a range of possible culprits – is not exactly a page turner but was engaging enough to retain my intere
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Who would have wanted to murder solicitor Sampson Warrenby?

Apparently everyone in the village of Thornden.

There's no shortage of suspects to question when Scotland Yard sends one of their finest -- Chief Inspector Hemingway -- to ferret out means, motive and opportunity. You've got the village squire and his ailing wife, the victim's long suffering niece, a rival solicitor, a mysterious couple, a crime writer, a handsome foreigner, and a military officer whose wife
Teri-K
While I reread this I kept thinking it would have been nice to keep a list of suspects, a timetable of their movements, and to create a map of the town where the murder took place. However, as I was also taking care of two small boys, I was satisfied with just enjoying reading it. My point is that Heyer's mysteries contain all the details you need to solve them, and at the same time she pulls you in with her likable characters and quaint English settings. Adding a bit of romance never hurts.
Carol  ꧁꧂ Self-Doubt Sister
Sadly this is the last detective story that GH wrote.

Hemingway (now a Chief Inspector) sparkles throughout & this book worth reading for his dialogue alone.

I have one leg longer than the other myself & I was wondering why Gavin simply didn't wear a lift in his shoe? Surely they would have been available in the 50s?

But a minor quibble for a very enjoyable book.
S Dizzy
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All I can say about the Inspector Hemmingway series is that I am glad that I finally finished all four of them. I didn't particularly like any of the characters. However, the mystery was somewhat interesting.
Bev
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Georgette Heyer's Detection Unlimited we have more suspects and more detectives than we can shake a stick at. Sampson Warrenby is dead and just about everybody in Thornden has a motive and the opportunity to have done him in. He's found slumped on a seat under the oak tree in his garden....with a bullet through his head. Most of the suspects were at an afternoon tennis party and were wandering about the area on their way home when the the shot was heard. When the local police decide to bring ...more
Anwen
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The last Heyer mystery written and, in my opinion, the cleverest. Set in the changing world following the Second World War, the disillusionment inherently felt in the slow erosion of the class structure is made clear, and the whole book is permeated by a sense of gentle melancholy. In a sense, this is a lament to times gone by, and the thrusting character of the victim who, it is made clear, was not of the county but needed to be shown how to behave, epitomizes the new world order to come. Inspe ...more
Nell
Jun 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
A total wallbanger. For years people have been praising Georgette Heyer so I caved and tried this one. Wordy, pretentious and not fit to lace up Agatha Christies shoes.
Tami
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Actually a little boring... It felt like forever until it was concluded.
Kathy
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Another Inspector Hemingway mystery which takes place in an English village peopled by folks who could be stereotypes, but often seem surprisingly modern in their thinking. The murder victim is disliked by everyone for good reasons, and one suspect is a clever fellow who brags that he might have done it. which is intended to throw the Inspector off.
gufo_bufo
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: al-mare, gialli
Il giallo non si addice a Georgette, il suo colore è decisamente il rosa antico. Qualche guizzo ironico, qualche brillio nei dialoghi non riscattano una serie di personaggi-macchietta e una trama quasi inesistente. Peccato.
Annette
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everyone has secrets. This small English village is filled with people with secrets. One of those secrets gets a man killed.

Inspector Hemingway is called in from Scotland Yard because the people involved in this murder are from the upper classes and they make it harder to get questions answered.

The gentleman who was murdered definitely needed to be killed. The number of people who had a motive for murder is large. And everyone involved is playing detective. There are as many theories given to In
Melissa
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-books
Detection Unlimited was the last of Heyer's mysteries. So far, it's actually the only one I've read because my mother happened to have her original copy and passed it along to me. As I learned in The Private World of Georgette Heyer by Jane Aiken Hodge, her husband (who left his career as a mining engineer to become a barrister) actually helped her with writing her mysteries, making sure that she left appropriate clues that would give the reader a fighting chance to solve the mystery.

As with her
* kyrat
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Enjoy her regency novels and can look past the dated-ness and figured the anit-semitism and occasional racist comments were the way they were in the 1700's.
And I'm sure England was pretty homogenous in the early 60's - but I was still annoyed by the contant Pole-bashing by all the characters and the insistance on demonizing foreigners (even if she was trying to make a point about it).
But the final straw is after meandering about with all the suspects and all their theories, there is NO resolutio
Miriam
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
More like Detection Extremely Limited.
Joan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last of Heyer's twelve mysteries, first published in 1953. On one hand, the story is among her better mystery plots and the action moves on a little better. On the other hand, the edition I read was full of typos and bad writing, i.e. missing punctuation and missing words. The story evolved around the murder of the local curmudgeon, and the characters included the usual irritating and cynical individual who makes a joke out of everything. Heyer was born in 1902 and obviously enjoyed ...more
Nancy
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I read my first Georgette Heyer book in 1968, and spent years after that (no Kindle or Overdrive in those days!) reading all her Regency romances and British "cozy" mysteries. So imagine my surprise when, having an hour to kill, I went into a library and looked for a Heyer novel to skim during my wait, and found this cozy that I had apparently never read. Of course I checked it out...

This is one of Scotland Yard's Chief Inspector Hemingway's most humorous appearances, and has a couple of enterta
C
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-collections
I really enjoyed this book. It's the first time in ages I haven't got to the suspect before it was revealed, so it's definitely a nice plot twist (the problem, as the narrator finds, is that none of them are suspicious, which makes it very hard to work out!) It was a beautifully simple plot for a beautifully simple crime, it relied not on dramatic twists or unexpected happenings/further murders, just good old fashioned detection and character development. One of the best murder mysteries I've re ...more
Paraphrodite
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
3.5 stars.

Another interesting case. I'm glad the murder took place a lot earlier than in the previous books. Also, we see an older Hemingway who kept questioning his own ability to retain information. What I've enjoyed about this series are Hemingway's different sidekicks who provide the comedic relief. It's been quite funny seeing their interaction with Hemingway throughout the series. A pity this is the last book, I'm going to miss Hemingway.
Heather
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second Heyer mystery I've read, and I predicted "who dunnit" with both of them! But, in both cases, I didn't know why or how, and wasn't ever sure I was right...so they were still really fun to read! And as always with Heyer's writing, there is so much more to it than the central plot. Fantastic characters, wonderful wit, all around charm. Lots of fun!
Caitlin
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Found all the village characters a little hard to keep in my head at first but got there in the end! Inspector Hemingway was as good as ever and I liked the mentions to cases and inspectors from previous books.
Anna
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Inspector Hemingway series
We return to the fabled English countryside in this final Inspector Hemingway story. He is again the quick- witted, wise and good- natured detective who is
Dhaverma
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
Story got a little slow towards the end.
Francesca
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
had its moments
Sharon Jacobs
Disappointed by this one. Story simply wasn't interesting and I did not care who did it.
Melinda
I felt like quitting this book by the time I had finished 50 pages. It was just so dull it wasn't until I had read over half the book that I got really interested.
Terra
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
One of her cleverer mysteries, though still lacking the level of charm of her regencies.
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • The Listening Eye (Miss Silver, #28)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • Georgette Heyer
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer, and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance novel and one thriller each year.

Hey
More about Georgette Heyer

Inspector Hemingway (4 books)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Envious Casca (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #2)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy #1)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Winner Take All (John Rain #3)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Night Villa
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Clean Kill in Tokyo (John Rain #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Circle of Bones (The Shipwreck Adventures, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Murder of Mary Russell (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #14)
    $11.99 $1.99