Start by marking “Only the Truth” as Want to Read:
Only the Truth

Only the Truth

Dan Cooper has never been the perfect husband to Lisa. He travels for work and plays the carefree bachelor when he can. But now, on a solo business trip, in a remote coastal hotel, he’s surprised to find Lisa in his bathroom. She’s dead.

He has no idea how she got there but one chilling fact is clear: everything points to Dan having murdered her. Someone is trying to frame
Published March 1st 2017 by Thomas & Mercer (first published February 24th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Only the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only the Truth

Start your review of Only the Truth
Sue
ONLY THE TRUTH by British author Adam Croft is a suspense mystery thriller that is soon to be released. Having just read his previous novel, “Her Last Tomorrow”, a gripping fast-paced thriller, and really enjoying it, I was anxious to start his new novel.

“What if? What if I turned around and there was a dead body in the bath? That was the spark that led to the plot for this book.” The author acknowledges this at the end of the novel.

“Dan Cooper has never been the perfect husband to Lisa. He
Jillian Thomas
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I am mindblown that anyone is giving this book anything more than two stars. The plot made no sense, the characters made choices that made no sense, the dialogue was completely unrealistic and made no sense. One second the protagonist is talking about his dead wife, the next he's asking his sidekick if she'd been molested. Um, what?? The writing had to be a 4th or 5th grade reading level - the writing was so simplistic and just read as some frat boy's daydream fantasies he decided to publish. Do ...more
sue
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Adam Croft's latest book (soon to be released) I was in doubt.
By the time I got to 55% I just couldn't lay my Kindle down.

To have such a plot but with several twists kept me occupied for a few hours as I thought I knew who it was. But then something terrible happened which left me stumped.

There are two main characters that stand out in this read.

The chap (to me at times came over like a wimp......until more was revealed)
Jess, the main female was unemotionally
Fran Parsons
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
The only good thing about this book was it was a Kindle First book so I didn't pay for it. This was just a pretty lame novel. The main character was stupid-no depth at all.
TheFormerAstronomer
"I've always been a fighter. I never felt it right to give up in the face of injustice."

Dude. You literally ran away to Slovakia to escape having to fight to clear your name or find out who killed your wife. You are the diametric opposite of a fighter.

Stylistically, this book didn't work at all for me. First-person POV will never be my favourite but it works if the narrator is at least two of clever, funny or interesting; unfortunately, the hero of our story 'Dan' is a stupid, boring and
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Another one where the plot sounded great, but the rest of the story was just a mess. The main character in this one was such an idiot! I can't imagine any sane person making the choices this man made, so it made everything feel really unrealistic for me.
Dee Arr
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
While one might believe this is merely another murder story where the accused person has to establish his innocence, "Only the Truth" has more of a realistic feel to it. The protagonist is not a super spy, ex-cop, ex-military, or anyone special...just someone whose usual habits have gotten him into more trouble than might normally happen. Here's a quick rundown, without spoilers:

PLOT -- The author has taken all the elements and boiled them down to simplicity, just enough clues to keep readers
Sharon
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't finish

I tried. I really tried but just couldn't finish. The plot and characters were simply unbelievable . The stupidity of the main character drove me crazy. I'm sorry but I was just too bored to even get more than a quarter into it.
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 STARS

The majority of the book is first person POV, so most of the time is spent in Dan's head (there are also a few chapters in third person POV which delve into Dan's past, these were the most interesting chapters in the book). Which would be fine, but Dan is self-absorbed asshole. He travels all the time for work and sleeps with any woman who looks at him twice whenever he can. So I guess it shouldn't have surprised me that when Dan finds out his wife has been murdered, almost all of his
Shauna
Feb 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed in this. It started out with so much potential, but just like the main character, the author ran away from the potential. I guess because I'm a person of logic, I had a hard time understanding the actions of these characters. First, Dan. Why in the world would he travel cross country with a woman that he's only know for a few days. Why would he be so open and trusting of her? Why ? why? For Jess, the same thing...if the man that you're sleeping with tells you that his wife ...more
Joanne Robertson
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I read Her Last Tomorrow by Adam Croft at the end of 2016, mainly due to the huge amount of rave reviews I saw, especially all over Facebook. It got a solid 3* from me as, although I really enjoyed the book and I found the author to be a great storyteller, I also thought it had an “unbelievable in places” plotline as well as a few other, rather unrealistic elements that let it down. But I said then that I would be keen to read more by this author and so when Only The Truth came out I downloaded ...more
Peter Kalin
Feb 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This may be one of the worst books I've ever read. I couldn't find any reason to like any of the characters and actually skimmed through the last third or quarter of the book just to see how it ended, the first time I've ever done something like that. I tend to be a completionist with respect to nearly any book I start, but just couldn't find the interest to do that with this book. There was a kernel of a good idea here but probably could have been told in a short story or maybe a short novella. ...more
Stephanie
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
In the words of DJT: Bad book! Terrible! Do not read!
Hans
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very original again! Gives you cause for some thinking. Are we born bad or is something that happened to us causing us to do the things we do? Personally I think it is the latter. The ending is unexpected.
Mrs Mojo Risin’
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow. I'm not sure what to say about this book. So I'm not going to say anything. I think two stars speak for themselves.
Dan Lawton
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
What makes a best seller? No one knows. This was one. Somehow. Which tells me a lot about this industry - it's frustrating at times. Books that are as poorly written as this can and do succeed, while the vast majority of well-written books and stories get overlooked. Why that happens? I have no idea. And I don't understand how people give this five stars. Do you want an honest analysis of this book?

It's garbage.

In the first chapter we learn that the "protagonist" has cheated on his wife, simply
Jeanne
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Rolled my eyes so many times but just kept reading like a dummy. Could see the "bad guy" coming from a mile away. Do people in the U.K. even measure things in miles, ffs?!
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Plot holes the size of craters... cliches instead of characters... There’s a lot to dislike here. But perhaps the most jarring thing is that it doesn’t read like it’s written by a British person at all. Instead it feels like it’s written by a person pretending to be a British writer. That’s how inauthentic this writing is.

2 stars because it’s short, & if you pick this up will finish it. But don’t bother picking it up - there are much better thrillers out there.
Apzmarshl
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Waste of time. This was a kindle first, many of which are shady. It sounded promising when the description mentioned that Dan's wife was found dead in his hotel room while he was traveling for work. And that's about as good as it got. I kept reading because I wanted to know who killed her. Now and then there were flashbacks of Dan's youth or one time with his wife that were better constructed than the actual story. Alas, those tidbits had nothing to do with anything. Plenty of the F word, that ...more
Love2Read
Just ok

While the pace of the story was pretty good, I felt it was a bit predictable. Like another reviewer said, I realized who the killer was early on and the 'reveal' was pretty lackluster. The story switches from the main character's past to present throughout but to be honest I don't really get why we had to read about the past as it didn't add to the current plot other than filler. The ending seemed a bit abrupt as well and pretty unbelievable considering the circumstances. I will add, you
Megan Johnson
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was pretty slow for me. I don't know if I can say that I really liked the book. I might need to re read it again at some point. I have been distracted with life issues and I don't know if my head was in this book while I was reading it.
Beth
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Loved this book. I made several guesses throughout and all were wrong. Kept me gripped til the end, I couldn't put it down in parts! Kind of hoping for a sequel, as there are a couple of possibilities, but maybe I'm a glutton for punishment and it should be left as is. Loved it.
Lesley
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the narrator of this book-helped it be better than the book is. The story was a little far fetched to believe someone would react the way these people did, but I could over look that for the entertainment of the story. A good enough story to listen to while weeding in the garden.
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Kindle First

Dan Cooper sets up lighting rigging for movie sets. He travels quite a bit, so he gets to sleep around on his wife. A lot. He doesn’t even feel bad about it. Until one day his wife shows up in his hotel bathtub, 70 miles from their home. Oh, and she’s deader than a doornail. All signs point to Dan as her murderer, so he panics, packs up, and flees the scene. The hotel receptionist that he’s been banging this trip goes with him. What a weirdo. Anyway, they flee England
I wanted so much more from this book... The premise of a man finding his wife murdered in his hotel room could have been so, so good. Instead this book was predictable, slightly boring, and the main character just kind of grated on my nerves throughout the entire story.
Kelly
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it one star, but it kept me reading to find out who did it. I got so tired of hearing the same thing over and over again. It felt like the first half of each chapter was a repeat of his thoughts from the last chapter. I kept wanting to skip ahead and just get it over with.
Lisa
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok

This was just a ok read. I didn't like it much but I finished it. May be OK for some people just not my thing.
Judy Churchill
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Strange, strange book. I almost always love these psychological thrillers, but this one didn't come together for me.
Young_es
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Entertaining, but far too predictable. Also, some aspects were too unrealistic to believe.
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your time

This book was terrible. The synopsis made it sound interesting but it was predictable from the beginning. I would have quit reading it but I kept thinking (and hoping!) it would get better. The main character was ridiculous and the supporting characters weren't any better. I truly feel like my 11-year old son could have written something more entertaining. What a disappointment.
Play Book Tag: Only the Truth by Adam Croft (4 out of 5 Stars) 1 16 Mar 07, 2017 03:43PM
Jessica is sketchy to me 1 8 Feb 02, 2017 04:34PM

• The Halo Effect
  • Dead Certain (Broden Legal, #1)
  • Hope's Peak (Harper and Lane, #1)
  • Walk Into Silence (Detective Jo Larsen, #1)
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • The Missing
  • Beach Lawyer (Beach Lawyer, #1)
  • It Ends with Her
  • The Thinnest Air
  • Silent Victim
  • Little Boy Lost
  • What You Did
  • When They Come for You
  • I Will Never Leave You
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
  • Evelyn, After
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Lakecrest
With more than half a million books sold to date, Adam Croft is one of the most successful independently published authors in the world, and one of the biggest selling authors of the past year.

Following his 2015 worldwide bestseller Her Last Tomorrow, his psychological thrillers were bought by Thomas & Mercer, an imprint of Amazon Publishing. Prior to the Amazon deal, Her Last Tomorrow sold
“wanted me for herself – she’s told” 0 likes
“Fine,’ he replies, heading through into the kitchen to make himself a strong cup of tea. ‘Are” 0 likes