Start by marking “Babyville” as Want to Read:
Babyville

Babyville

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  29,899 Ratings  ·  606 Reviews
Jane Green, author of The Other Woman and Jemima J., explores the chaotic world of pregnancy and motherhood in the number one best-seller Babyville.

In Babyville nothing's ever simple . . .

Julia worries that her relationship with Mark has turned stale. She thinks a baby will put love back into their lives. But is a child really the answer?

Julia's best friend Samantha is bes
Published March 28th 2002 by Penguin (first published September 6th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Babyville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babyville

Candice
May 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. Having a hard time with this one-- I'm about 115 pages in and its pretty insipid; total SNORESVILLE and predictable... I might have to give up soon... I have no idea how someone could give this anything more than 2 stars... I keep thinking it might pick up or get interesting or better...

yeah, if I could give it 1.5 stars I would, but overall, yeasch. half star would go for the humiliation at the end of the book heard over the baby monitor-- wow, that was terrible. Other than that, ugh.
Cristina
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The ladies!
This is another that I already have forgotten what happened. It's a good "nothing else to read" book that won't disappoint with lower expectations.

The problem with Jane Green novels is that after reading one, you've kind of "read them all". HOWEVER, I still enjoy them. They are easy and go so fast. They make great vacation books.
This was not my favorite Jane Green novel.

It was the story of three women - Julia, Maeve and Sam. All three women are struggling with their relationships and - more truthfully - their identity.

I get that we - as women - struggle with who we are and how to define ourselves apart from our "better half" and our ability to procreate. I really do get that. I guess I struggled with taking it seriously with this book - which is probably why I didn't like it too much. I had little empathy for any of t
Alyssa
Apr 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't know how this book is possibly rated so highly on goodreads. The story itself seemed generally relatable and appealing (mid-30s woman feels the biological clock ticking, wants to have a baby with boyfriend she isn't interested in so much after 4 years, she's jealous of friends with babies). I was interested to read it because it would represent "mommy lit" as a subgenre of chick lit. However, the writing was SO awful that I could not finish the book. I gave it a chance and read the first ...more
Julie Hedlund
I tried to force myself to finish this book after reading the "Julia" segment. Ultimately, I failed. I am an avid reader of all types of books, including chick lit. As the mother of two young children, I had looked forward to some light summer reading about women going through the same phase of life. However, these women are nothing like me or any of the many thirty-something women and mothers that I know. For example, how many women are DESPERATE to get pregnant, and then dash off to New York, ...more
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
I loved Jemima J, and thought Mr. Maybe was so-so. I was prepared to go either way with this one, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I thought the 3 perspectives in the novel were interesting, and I took a particular liking to Maeve. Green did a great job of weaving all the stories together. A fun, light read!
Lauren
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about three women in their thirties, Julia, Maeve, and Sam.

Julia is a producer with a live in boyfriend who is "trapped" in a boring relationship. Like so many people I know in real life, she realizes deep down that she is not happy, but after investing 4 years in a relationship she is determined to make it work. She figures that the spark always goes out in a relationship. Julia, like so many people in real life, doesn't know how to make herself happy and when her boyfriend Mark d
Angela
Dec 01, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quite possibly one of the worst books I ever read. It makes women look flightly and indecisive without really addressing serious issues the characters face in a way that is appropriate to their problems. Also, if you are even remotely thinking of having a baby, don't read this book! It makes having kids sound like a death sentence!
Farah
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, reviewed
Akhir-akhir ini gue selalu bermasalah sama novel terjemahan.

Nemu kalimat yang berasa ngga enak dikit, langsung turn off. Males lanjutin baca. Itu yang terjadi sama beberapa buku yang udah mulai gue baca dari berbulan-bulan lalu tapi sampe sekarang masih aja belom kelar. Itu karena gue tinggalin acara baca bukunya di tengah jalan. Lanjutin bacanya entar aja kapan-kapan hiahahaha.

Tapi novel ini salah satu yang selamat dari perasaan sudden turn off. Mungkin karena seperti The Man I Should Have Marr
Hannah Polley
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I think you would have to be pretty strongly into babies in order to enjoy this book. I did like it but I found it slow in places and it didn’t always keep my interest. I also really wanted to shake some of the main characters in places.

This book has three main characters who know each other and it tells the stories of each. Julia, who is desperately trying to have a baby with a man she knows is not right for her. Maeve, who has gotten pregnant after a one night stand and doesn’t want to keep th
Ayuwidya Ayuwidya
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bercerita dari tiga sudut pandang perempuan dan kehidupannya. Julia, perempuan yang terobsesi punya bayi, tapi saat ia cuti kantor ia meyakini sebuah kebenaran yang selama ini tidak berani ia akui. Ia tidak yakin bahwa pasangannya, Mark, adalah orang yang tepat untuknya. Maeve, perempuan yang tidak berencana punya anak, malah punya anak dari Mark. Ia berencana untuk aborsi dan berkeras untuk tidak hidup bersama Mark. Sam, sahabat Julia yang kemudian juga jadi sahabat Maeve. Ibu rumah tangga yang ...more
Weni
Apr 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Semua tentang bayi...
Ada Julia yang terobsesi utk punya bayi. Menganggap hadirnya seorang anak akan menjadi solusi atas hubungannya yang semakin hambar dengan Mark (mereka blm nikah, tp tinggal bersama). Situasi makin memburuk ketika Julia mengungkapkan kekecewaannya, seolah Mark lah yang tdk bisa punya anak (Julia sdh pernah hamil dan menggugurkan kandungannya). Julia akhirnya pergi ke New York bersama Bella, merasa lega krn tdk lagi bersama Mark, bahkan tdk lagi terobsesi untuk punya anak.

Lalu
Redfox5
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought I had read this before but I couldn't remember anything about it, so maybe I didn't. One chick lit book is very much like another. This is the story of 3 women - Julia, Sam and Maeve(seriously, whose called Maeve nowdays?).

Jane tells the story in three sections, one at a time which doesn't always seem to work. I wish she had alternated viewpoints in chapters as we seemed to miss some important bits of the story.

I really wanted to see Julia's reaction to Mark getting Maeve pregnant
Brooke
Oct 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
It has been a while since I delved into the British Chick-Lit scene....the title of this book caught my attention from the book share table at my gym and I'm so glad it did! While not a stellar piece of fiction, I really enjoyed this book. Being early on in my pregnancy when reading it (4 months) I was able to relate with most of the characters & loved their growth. Even when some of the characters were doing not-so-happy things, you could understand where they were coming from (blinders on ...more
Connie Fischer
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia wants a baby desperately and is unable to conceive. She focuses so hard on becoming pregnant to the point that she drives her boyfriend away. Maeve almost breaks out in a rash at the thought of being a mother. However, a night of - oops - unprotected sex changes all of that for her. At first, she tries to convince herself that she couldn't possibly be pregnant and tries to ignore the whole thing. Then, she is determined to have an abortion yet keeps putting it off until it's too late. Sama ...more
Jackie Bromagin
This was a re-read for me. When I was not really reading very much about 5-6 years ago, this was a book that I read and re-read multiple times. It's sort of weird to think about a 24 year old single woman who doesn't want kinds rereading a book called Babyville but alas.... that was my life.

I went on a bit of a chick lit binge at the end of November. I read two Sophie Kinsella books and then I decided I wanted to read one of my old favorites so I did.

Babyville is about 3 women in London. Julia
Abby
Sep 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As the title would suggest, this book is all about babies. Trying to get pregnant, trying not to get pregnant, and adjusting to life after pregnancy with a newborn.

What could have been an interesting look at the topic was spoiled by three of the most unlikeable main characters I have ever encountered in a fictional book, as well as a completely, pat, happy ending undeserved by the characters. All three women were completely selfish and self absorbed, and it's next to immpossible to enjoy a book
Melynda Yesenia
Feb 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i'm really glad this was a trashbook, totally free.

total, unabashed chicklit. however, this also managed to keep me interested past the first three pages which is usually all i can stand of the genre. a quick pace, imperfect characters and rotating narrators all help to temper the fluff-factor of the story and writing style.

still, i couldn't ultimately care. some of the resolutions refrained from being totally cookie-cutter perfect but i still wanted one of the women to become a real person-- p
Carrie
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked most of this book--I debated between 3 and 4 stars.

The story is split into thirds, three different women's stories, although all three are interconnected. To put it bluntly, I hated the first story. I found Julia's character so self-centered it was almost intolerable. But then I really enjoyed the second story and really connected with Maeve's journey. Finally, the third story, Sam's, I went back and forth on. I also wasn't a huge fan of Sam's, although I was more sympathetic towards he
Jennifer Cason
Jun 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no one to blame but myself for reading this. I knew it would be 1 star when I bought it. I knew it on page 10, 20, 30 and so on. I've read a past Jane Green and the best I can say is that she is consistent with her 1 star writing. I'd like to find some way to soften this review. Give it up as a brainless summer read, but really...don't do it. There are just so many better "bad" summer books out there.
Donna
Apr 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This rating/review is based on getting to about page 60 of this book. I couldn't read past that. I found the storyline to be not all that interesting. Hardly any of the main characters were likable people. And it was coarse and vulgar. After 60 pages, I knew I couldn't read another couple of hundred pages of this. Disappointing chick lit!
Jane
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good

Hits super close to home (especially the third part). Funny and charming and actually well-written. The characters feel human, with all the foibles and uncertainties of real people, ones I could be friends with being a career woman in my thirties.
Emily
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When i read this book i just couldn't put it down i wanted to know what was going to happen next for the characters in the book. I love the fact that each of the three main women in the book are concentrated on with there own little mini books in the book...
Suraima
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it. Very realistic about relationships, babies and what sometimes goes on in womens heads. Has some really nice twists wrapped in there as well. I am really glad I read it and I would recommend it to any female friends.
penelope_bathwater
I like Jane green because most of her books read like a more dramatic long episode of Friends with a sprinkle of Bridget Jones. This was the first jg book I read in a few years, and it was good to be back in the land of teacups and tidy endings.
Jess (Shepherdjel)
I thought this was ok, I really hope and pray that I never have to deal with the stress with having a baby, it is scary how stressful it can be and how it can sometimes destroy a relationship.
Gina
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed a good Jane Green book now and again, and this one was fine, but not something I'd say, "ooh, you don't want to miss this!" Fairly predictable with lots of whiny women in it.
Paul Hamilton
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Nikki
Shelves: novel, romance
From time to time I like to check out one of the books my wife enjoys and/or recommends. She's been a rabid Jane Green fan for some time so I decided to give one a chance.

I feel like I want to get my literary snootiness out of the way up front so I can talk about the novel itself, so let me just say that I don't feel like Ms. Green's writing style—at least not the one on display in this book—is really for me. Her point of view dancing and tense shifting frustrated me to the point where occasiona
Lynne M
Okay, so I actually forgot I read this one until just recently looking at my book shelf. This book is better to me than some of Jane Green's other books like "Mr. maybe" or Straight Talking."

I liked Maeve the best of the three leads, probably because she is most like me. I didn't relate to Sam that much, and thought she was treating her husband horribly. However, I did feel bad for Sam when she finally got a slap of reality. I really could not stand Julia, and did not relate to her at all.
Liz Destefano
Julia who wants a baby I cannot have a baby with Mark Maeve who just wants a career and I was a one nighter me to Julius ex-boyfriend Mark and ends up being pregnant Sam who is very happily married who has a baby but has post depression put on extra pounds and think she wants to have an affair with her one of her husbands friends this book takes you through their lives and how everything changes pretty funny book
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink)
  • She, Myself & I
  • Love @ First Site
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • Always the Bridesmaid
  • Being Committed
  • Make Him Look Good
  • For Better, for Worse
  • Diary of a Mad Bride
  • Milkrun
  • Perfect Partners: Mr Maybe & Jemima J
  • Thin, Rich, Pretty
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Nearlyweds
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“For the first time in her life she found herself failing at something.” 0 likes
“..but if I can't tell my best friend, who can I tell??” 0 likes