Start by marking “Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:

Discover the nine personality types of the human psyche -- and how to determine your own set of characteristics -- with this revised edition of the classic, indispensable introduction to the Enneagram.

The leading experts in the field, Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson have set the standard for determining personality type using the Enneagram. Their studies of this ancient
Published May 20th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Your Personality Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Your Personality Type

Start your review of Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded
Amy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great starting place for learning more about the Enneagram. It’s not super complex or detailed but it gives you a good solid overview of the system and the various types. The Enneagram can seem overwhelming but I think this book was a great introduction that gave me solid information but didn’t overwhelm me with details. I’m definitely a 9 … without a doubt. I really enjoyed learning about my own type as well as the system as a whole. I have a huge stack of Enneagram books that I’ll be ...more
Ezgi ☕️
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Amazing read! Impeccable insight to the personality types. I will send this book as a gift to my friends.

David
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, enneagram
Want to learn about the Enneagram? This is a good book to start - straightforward and simple. That said, the test they include to determine your number is not very good. It is a series of two choices and you have to pick one ("I am often the leader of the group" vs. "I am often a loner") but for many of them I did not want to pick either. You can probably find better assessments online. Overall though, a nice summary of the types. ...more
Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads)
This is not technically a DNF, as I never started reading it, but I did want to record my reasons for deciding not to read it. I had wanted to look into myself, as I'd heard various reports on the ethics of using this system as a Christian.

After listening to the Sheologians podcast, and then finding an interview with one of the main creators of Enneagram, I am now satisfied that this system is not appropriate for Christians to use or associate with.

(I'm not going to interact with any comments
Ailyn
Jan 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great! It is what it is titled, the basic introduction to the enneagram, with the test provided inside. I like how straightforward it was, without a lot of spiritual talk but more objective. I will definitely go back to it and reread some parts.
Tim
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a basic introduction to the enneagram, my favorite paradigm for personality types that I've seen. MBTI is so binary, while the Enneagram has 9 types in 3 main groups. It also deals with movement between types in stress and security, and is concerned with finding a way to be maximally healthy in your natural type.
It offers much potential insight for relational dynamics, inner struggles, and a pathway for personal growth and development.
Ann Pratley
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
While it took a while to work through this practical workbook, it definitely was a worthwhile read and interesting in carrying out the assessments. For anyone interested in taking time to read about different personality types, and then do a self-assessment (or assessment of others you know), this is well worth at least borrowing it from your local library and giving it a good, slow read.
George Vasilca
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This fascinating book was published in 2003, yet for many years I did not know about it. Luckily, I came across it a few months ago when researching for my blog. I was so fortunate! The book captivated me from the very beginning, and I devoured it in one day. Why? Because a new world of understanding about personality types was opening before my very eyes.

That was the first “get-to-know-you” reading. But only at the second reading, I started to realize how powerful and profound the Enneagram co
Nancy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am lying a little when I say I've read it. I have read parts of it and a great deal of his other book, Personality Types, plus a great deal of two other author's books on the Enneagram. I find the information very helpful and will buy this book and others as references. The thing I came to understand though, is that my ego self is quick to grab onto qualities that "experts" tell me I am and then believe that this is how I will always be. I don't believe this. I can see that we each have propen ...more
Charty
Apr 22, 2021 rated it liked it
I technically didn’t read this cover to cover, so I’m not counting it as “finished” but I skimmed the whole thing and read specific sections in more detail.

So, my thoughts. Here it goes. Personally I’d say that the Myers-Briggs personality test, and frankly a horoscope book I had, did a better job of “getting” my personality. Or I saw myself and my tendencies in those more clearly. The Enneagram is rather convoluted. Nine personality types and then within those nine or subtler breakdowns but the
Ryan
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
I’m at best “enneagram curious” because I keep hearing so much about it from podcasts, etc. this is my first book on the enneagram and I’m still not sure what I think. This book contains a detailed 144 question test that is supposedly scientifically valid and reliable. I like that it reads more academically than new age-y or overtly spiritual. Good info about each number but kept saying “for more information read our other book entitled____.” A good starting place and I may read a bit more, but ...more
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
My daughter is very interested in the enneagram and wanted me to look into it. I have several books out from the library and this is the first one I finished. It can only be helpful to learn more about our personalities and while I find this theory complex, it seems useful and accurate. I took the test and I seem to be most aligned with 3-Achiever with 9-Peacemaker and 1-Reformer close behind. As a woman (well) over 30, I also check many boxes as a 2-Helper but am not sure this truly reflects me ...more
Lexie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first big dive into understanding the enneagram, and I feel like I have a good grasp on it now after reading this. The full quiz is included, with in-depth explanations to help readers understand their results. I felt comfortable with the terminology by the end and feel ready to dive even deeper now.

It's hard to have conversations with people who already know so much about this personality profiling, so this was the perfect way for me to learn all of it at once and become familiar wi
Mary
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up mainly for the quiz to sort out your enneagram type. However, by the time I got the book, I had already sorted out my type from a different book. However it was still nice to get a sort of confirmation that I was right. The test & scoring takes about an hour and is pretty straight forward. There's a short summary of each type following the test, which is perfect for making sure the results are correct. It's solid for a starting spot, but if you're into it, you'll probably want s ...more
Jaafar Vaezi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book from Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson, is a mirror that we can see ourself and people clearly, and then gradually leave our personality behind and proceed to Essence. Now I know I am 1w2, and trying to travel in levels of development toward The level of liberation but there is a long way, and as Bayazid Bastami says: This thing we tell of never be found by seeking, yet only seekers find it.
Esther
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book gave me a basic understanding of the Enneagram as well as details about each type. I’ve heard a lot of talk lately about this personality test and I was curious to take the 144 question test. Unlike some of the longer tests online, this one was totally free since I checked the book out from the library.
Jenny L Womack
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up at my library because I wanted to learn more about the Enneagram. This book was touted as a good primer on the subject. It does have a lot on info & a test included, but it's a bit dry & academic. I read it, but I'm glad I borrowed it rather than bought it. I'm still hoping to find a more user-friendly book on the Enneagram for my book shelf, but I did learn from this one. ...more
Kaye
Fantastic for Fiction Character Development!

Written in a way that makes the personality types very clear and easy to apply to developing fiction characters. Also links to supplemental info on their website -- specifically about types in relationships with each other -- were greatly beneficial.
Sarah Elizabeth
The copy I borrowed from my library was so marked up and drawn in that there was no value to me, as it could not be used as intended.

The information about the Enneagram that it did contain outside of the questionnaire was not anything I hadn't read in an easier to understand way elsewhere.
Christine Hiester
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good basic and concise slim volume on the Ennegram. Includes the RHETI test ( which has probably since been redone or tweaked) and the nutshell understanding of each type. Also includes a list of the test statements by type, which was interesting.
Shannan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the most complex enneagram book out there but it was the “gateway” drug to more complicated and thorough riso/Hudson books (The Wisdom of the Enneagram is becoming a fast favorite). I found I wanted much much more after reading through my specific number section.
Kimberly Lynne
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun and informative. Our family spent a dreary afternoon analyzing one another. "You're a four!" "Dad has to be a nine!" "No, he's a six."
FWIW, I'm a 1 w 9.
Perfect for fans of Myers-Briggs (INTJ) and Sorting Hats (Ravenclaw.)
Aaron Carlile
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Blew my mind how accurate this was. Officially de-stigmatizing the Enneagram as yet another "personality test", and categorizing it as a more formidable addition to the canon of psychological self-discovery literature. ...more
Kylie Parsonson
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it
I gave it 3 stars because it was tedious to read. While the information is interesting and helpful, it was like reading a glossary/instruction novel. It was a bit full on. I had to push myself through it.
Joy Bork
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome rundown on Enneagram!
Loraena
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the most helpful book on the Enneagram that I've read so far. ...more
Jaymie
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good resource. Extensive assessment.
Liz Norell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the most comprehensive book available, but this brief volume is a great introduction to the Enneagram.
Ann
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Excellent assessment (more thorough than others I’ve encountered) and decent descriptions of the types and overview of Enneagram.
« previous 1 3 next »
Intercultural communication and Enneagram 1 3 Feb 25, 2016 03:16AM

• The Essential Enneagram
  • The Sacred Enneagram: Finding Your Unique Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
  • The Journey Toward Wholeness: Enneagram Wisdom for Stress, Balance, and Transformation
  • Finding Me
  • House Atreides (Prelude to Dune, #1)
  • The Covert Passive Aggressive Narcissist: Recognizing the Traits and Finding Healing After Hidden Emotional and Psychological Abuse (The Narcissism Series Book 1)
  • Immune: a Journey into the Mysterious System that Keeps You Alive
  • The User's Guide to Sleight Of Mouth
  • Sleight of Mouth: The Magic of Conversational Belief Change
  • One Dark Window (The Shepherd King, #1)
  • Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men
  • Strategic Relocation: North American Guide to Safe Places
  • Unprepared: Surviving an EMP attack on American soil
  • The Private Investigator Handbook: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Protect Yourself, Get Justice, or Get Even
  • Fed Up: Emotional Labor, Women, and the Way Forward
  • From Fixation to Freedom: The Enneagram of Liberation

News & Interviews

As the final days of the year tick themselves off the calendar, the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge is coming to a close. Sincere...