Start by marking “Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:

The leading experts in the field, Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson have set the standard for determining personality type using the enneagram. Their studies of this ancient symbol and their progress in determining type with increasing accuracy are known, taught, and emulated worldwide. Discovering Your Personality Type is the essential introduction to this system, a psycho ...more
Published May 20th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published December 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Your Personality Type, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Your Personality Type

Start your review of Discovering Your Personality Type: The Essential Introduction to the Enneagram, Revised and Expanded
Amy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great starting place for learning more about the Enneagram. It’s not super complex or detailed but it gives you a good solid overview of the system and the various types. The Enneagram can seem overwhelming but I think this book was a great introduction that gave me solid information but didn’t overwhelm me with details. I’m definitely a 9 … without a doubt. I really enjoyed learning about my own type as well as the system as a whole. I have a huge stack of Enneagram books that I’ll be ...more
David
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, enneagram
Want to learn about the Enneagram? This is a good book to start - straightforward and simple. That said, the test they include to determine your number is not very good. It is a series of two choices and you have to pick one ("I am often the leader of the group" vs. "I am often a loner") but for many of them I did not want to pick either. You can probably find better assessments online. Overall though, a nice summary of the types.
Nancy
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am lying a little when I say I've read it. I have read parts of it and a great deal of his other book, Personality Types, plus a great deal of two other author's books on the Enneagram. I find the information very helpful and will buy this book and others as references. The thing I came to understand though, is that my ego self is quick to grab onto qualities that "experts" tell me I am and then believe that this is how I will always be. I don't believe this. I can see that we each have propen ...more
Lexie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first big dive into understanding the enneagram, and I feel like I have a good grasp on it now after reading this. The full quiz is included, with in-depth explanations to help readers understand their results. I felt comfortable with the terminology by the end and feel ready to dive even deeper now.

It's hard to have conversations with people who already know so much about this personality profiling, so this was the perfect way for me to learn all of it at once and become familiar wi
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
My daughter is very interested in the enneagram and wanted me to look into it. I have several books out from the library and this is the first one I finished. It can only be helpful to learn more about our personalities and while I find this theory complex, it seems useful and accurate. I took the test and I seem to be most aligned with 3-Achiever with 9-Peacemaker and 1-Reformer close behind. As a woman (well) over 30, I also check many boxes as a 2-Helper but am not sure this truly reflects me ...more
Tim
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a basic introduction to the enneagram, my favorite paradigm for personality types that I've seen. MBTI is so binary, while the Enneagram has 9 types in 3 main groups. It also deals with movement between types in stress and security, and is concerned with finding a way to be maximally healthy in your natural type.
It offers much potential insight for relational dynamics, inner struggles, and a pathway for personal growth and development.
Jaafar Vaezi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book from Don Richard Riso and Russ Hudson, is a mirror that we can see ourself and people clearly, and then gradually leave our personality behind and proceed to Essence. Now I know I am 1w2, and trying to travel in levels of development toward The level of liberation but there is a long way, and as Bayazid Bastami says: This thing we tell of never be found by seeking, yet only seekers find it.
Jenny Womack
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up at my library because I wanted to learn more about the Enneagram. This book was touted as a good primer on the subject. It does have a lot on info & a test included, but it's a bit dry & academic. I read it, but I'm glad I borrowed it rather than bought it. I'm still hoping to find a more user-friendly book on the Enneagram for my book shelf, but I did learn from this one.
Ann Pratley
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
While it took a while to work through this practical workbook, it definitely was a worthwhile read and interesting in carrying out the assessments. For anyone interested in taking time to read about different personality types, and then do a self-assessment (or assessment of others you know), this is well worth at least borrowing it from your local library and giving it a good, slow read.
Esther
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book gave me a basic understanding of the Enneagram as well as details about each type. I’ve heard a lot of talk lately about this personality test and I was curious to take the 144 question test. Unlike some of the longer tests online, this one was totally free since I checked the book out from the library.
Christine Hiester
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good basic and concise slim volume on the Ennegram. Includes the RHETI test ( which has probably since been redone or tweaked) and the nutshell understanding of each type. Also includes a list of the test statements by type, which was interesting.
Sarah Elizabeth
The copy I borrowed from my library was so marked up and drawn in that there was no value to me, as it could not be used as intended.

The information about the Enneagram that it did contain outside of the questionnaire was not anything I hadn't read in an easier to understand way elsewhere.
Shannan
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the most complex enneagram book out there but it was the “gateway” drug to more complicated and thorough riso/Hudson books (The Wisdom of the Enneagram is becoming a fast favorite). I found I wanted much much more after reading through my specific number section.
Liz Norell
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the most comprehensive book available, but this brief volume is a great introduction to the Enneagram.
Ann
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Excellent assessment (more thorough than others I’ve encountered) and decent descriptions of the types and overview of Enneagram.
Loraena
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the most helpful book on the Enneagram that I've read so far.
Jaymie
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good resource. Extensive assessment.
Joy Bork
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome rundown on Enneagram!
Rachel A.  Dawson
Loved taking this test though and thinking through ways I’m grown and integrated! I'm in the camp that recommends reading about the enneagram before just taking the test, but it was great to confirm again that I'm OVERWHELMINGLY a One. Nobody is surprised.
Brigette
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this through and took the test in a night. I find personality tests and theories fascinating but hadn't tried this one yet. I'm more familiar with the Meyers-Briggs. This seems more complicated in some ways, so I'm still figuring it out. The MB is more focused on our positive qualities, what makes us unique, and how to interact with people of other types. This has some similar themes, but it puts more emphasis on what we do when we are stressed or unhealthy, and how to heal or become more ...more
The Poet
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
7 stars--I love this book!!

When I first heard about this book and that it was about other's personalities, I didn't want a thing to do with it. I refused to believe it could have a personality type for someone like me. However, my adpoted uncle encouraged me to read it, and I was amazed at what I learned about others as well as myself.

If you choose to read this book, please read chapter 1 before taking the test. It is chapter 1 for a reason. One particular passage says, "Alway
Renee
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
The questions and personality types are all posed very negatively - after reading his descriptions, I didn't want to have ANY personality type! The questions are not either/ors, either - for example, one question asks you to choose between "I am highly intuitive and individualistic," and "I am highly organized and responsible." Why can't both be equally true?

I much recommend Myers-Briggs, which examines the components of a personality and how they work together to create an individua
David Stewart
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, psychology
Attempts to move the idea of the enneagram from a mostly spiritual idea into one more grounded in psychology. There's still plenty of spiritual jargon present, but I found this more digestible than most enneagram descriptions. Theres also a really detailed test in the book to help you determine your type, though there are always pitfalls to such tests. It's labelled me as a type 4 with a 5 wing, which may or may not be true. It's hard to say for sure. Still an interesting read and very accessibl ...more
Ann Whitely
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i found this book not only helpful for myself but also helpful in understanding the interaction between myself & others, especially my husband. i use the Myers-Briggs a lot in my mentoring work but think this test will be more helpful in my work in spiritual direction. I particularly like the concept of what our personalities are like as they travel from healthy to unhealthy. Helps me understand some of my life experiences as well as prepares me to walk alongside others.
tinythunder
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I’ve read a lot on the Enneagram Institute website, and other than different type descriptions, there’s nothing new here. You can take a different (and in my opinion, more accurate) test online as well. The history/origin of the Enneagram, or more in-depth psychology observations would better lend itself to book format, but this is not it.

I much prefer (and highly recommend) The Road Back to You by Ian Cron and Suzanne Stabile.
Katherina [Book-o-Craze]
I found out that I had already taken the test included in this book, but had never actually given any more thought to it! It is a bit big, but I think I will give it another try soon, to check if I get the same results, or better yet, if the previous results suited me back then, and whether the new ones will fit my personality now. There must have been some changes, right? Right.
Debby Chang
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The best thing about this book is the long form version of the enneagram personality test, which I've found to lead to much more accurate results than the shorter free/online versions. A fun tool to figure out how you're wired and how others are wired, though it makes some wild accusations about your mental health sometimes
Kristen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most accurate personality book I have ever read. I makes much more sense to put the human race into 9 categories over just 4 like the color code. You will love learning all sorts of new things about why you do/think/feel things. Best $6 dollars I have ever spent! My entire family obsessed over the book as well.
Daniel
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*much* better than other enneagram-related books that I've read, which usually give shallow and somewhat hackneyed descriptions of the different types; this is a beautiful book, provides lots of insight into different personalities, constellations of behavior, and ways of changing and appreciating different personality types
Paz
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: life-compass
Interesting way to understand behavior and see the bigger picture in your own way of reacting.

May be good to doing a couple to "get" what the other is about, why he/she tends to react the way he/she does.
Intercultural communication and Enneagram 1 3 Feb 25, 2016 03:16AM

• The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective
  • The Enneagram Made Easy: Discover the 9 Types of People
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • The Blue Zones of Happiness: A Blueprint for a Better Life
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships
  • Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss
  • The Sacred Enneagram: Finding Your Unique Path to Spiritual Growth
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
  • I Heard God Laughing: Poems of Hope and Joy
  • Fringe (Fringe, #1)
  • Fringe: Tales from the Fringe (Fringe, #2)
  • Afterlife