Start by marking “Because of Winn-Dixie (Karena Winn-Dixie)” as Want to Read:
Because of Winn-Dixie (Karena Winn-Dixie)

Because of Winn-Dixie (Karena Winn-Dixie)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  187,611 ratings  ·  8,335 reviews
India Opal (10 tahun) kesepian ketika ia dan ayahnya yang bekerja sebagai pendeta pindah kota kecil Naomi, Florida. Ia tidak punya teman dan anak-anak di kota itu sepertinya segan bergaul dengannya karena ia anak pendeta.

Tapi ini semua berubah ketika ia menemukan anjing kampung besar bernama Winn-Dixie di toserba setempat. Opal membawa pulang anjing ini karena manajer toko
Published 2004 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Because of Winn-Dixie, please sign up.
Susie Yes! It's sweet, well written, has some funny parts, and is just a good all around read. Prepare to shed a few tears here and there.
Kianiyah No this is a great book not a good book. But this is not my favorite book. My favorite book is SMILE!

·  187,611 ratings  ·  8,335 reviews

Start your review of Because of Winn-Dixie (Karena Winn-Dixie)
Mischenko
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
India Opal and her father, the preacher, have moved from Watley to Naomi, Florida. Opal had to leave all her friends behind and she’s adapting to living in a new place. Her mother has abandoned her and she’s feeling very sad and lonely. Her father preaches at a church he opened that was previously a convenience store. He works too much and he struggles to move forward as he misses Opal’s mom so much. Opal wishes she had a better relationship with him. She hasn’t found very many new friends yet. ...more
Brina
I think this is the year that I have discovered young adult and middle grade fiction as a genre full of quality books. Always looking for wholesome books for my kids, I saw this book on a few friends' feeds, and it happened to be at the library the last time I went.
Because of Winn-Dixie is Kate DeCamillo's Newberry Award winning debut novel. It features ten year old India Opal Buloni who has just moved from Watley to Naomi, Florida with her father the Preacher. Lonely for the last seven years
Deanna
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because of Winn-Dixie is such a beautiful and enchanting book. I loved reading this with my daughter. I am glad she was a little bit older when we read it (I think she was about 8) as it may have been a little heavy for her if she had been much younger. Although it I guess it depends on the child.

Young Opal has just moved to Florida with her father (a preacher) and is lonely for her mother who left the family seven years before. On a trip to the supermarket (Winn-Dixie) she rescues a dog getting
Lola
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, animals
A wonderful dog who brings people together. What's not to like?
Jackie "the Librarian"
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers and children of all ages
Opal Buloni goes to the Winn-Dixie store, and comes home with a big scraggly dog she claimed on impulse. Because of this dog, now named Winn-Dixie, she meets her new neighbors in the Florida town she now lives in. Nothing bad happens to the dog. Let me repeat: Nothing bad happens to the dog.
This book is carefully balanced with dark and light. It could so easily have been one of those syrupy, sweet stories with charmingly eccentric townspeople spouting folk wisdom, and the dog bringing everyone
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
A children's book I read for a Challenge and what a treat it was! Beautifully written, delightful characters, a bittersweet story. No wonder it won awards.

The Winn-Dixie of the title is big sook of a stray dog who comes into 10 year old Opal's life at a time when she needs a friend. Her mother is gone, her father works too hard, they have just arrived in a new town and she has no one. Winn-Dixie however is great at making friends and over the course of the book Opal's life turns around.

Of course
Sharon
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not difficult to see why this beautiful book has won numerous awards. After reading a few friends' reviews for this book I simply knew I had to read it and I'm so glad I did.

This is a heartwarming tale of a young girl named Opal who lives with her father. Growing up without her mother has not been easy for Opal and she's been feeling a sense of loneliness through her childhood. But that's all about to change the day she comes across a dog who appears just as lost and lonely as Opal does.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Because of Winn-Dixie, Kate DiCamillo
A 10-year-old girl named "India Opal Bulloni", has just moved to a trailer park, in the small town of Naomi, Florida, with her father who is known as "The Preacher", because he preaches at the local church. While in the supermarket, Opal sees a scruffy dog, wrecking the store. Opal decides to take him home. Miss Franny Block, a librarian, shares great stories about her past, including one about her great-grandfather, whose family members died while he was
Fred Shaw
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Because of Winn-Dixie” is an uplifting novella that made me laugh out loud while enjoying the read. Winn-Dixie is a supermarket chain located throughout southeastern US. India Opal, a girl of ten or so, goes into one of the stores to buy a few things, and comes out with a mangy, smelly large dog. He got inside the store somehow and created havoc, knocking over produce stands, and had all the store people chasing him. So Opal adopted the dog, took him home, cleaned him up and named him “ ...more
Paula
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Matt
Recommended to Paula by: Lauren
My friend Lauren read this to her elementary school kids last year -one day she read it to them aloud for an hour and a half! This is especially remarkable considering the usual behavior of her students (which is NOT sitting still, listening, and engaging in meaningful ways).

The story is well told in the ten-year old main character's voice. I'm sure this makes it attractive and understandable to young readers (or listeners). And easy for them to relate to.

The book does a good job of opening up
Becky
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, read2012
This is the first book my 8-year-old son was reading and said to me, "This book is really good, Mommy. I think you would like it. You should read it."

So. I'm reading it. :)

.....

Someone called Kate DiCamillo's writing enchanting. I think enchanting fits perfectly.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa Vegan, Hilary and anyone else who loves a heartwarming read with animals in a key role
Second read in 2018:

In my opinion, this is a modern classic. A heartwarming read about a pre-teen girl in a small town in Florida, living with her dad. She is growing up without a mom and has recently moved to a new town and feels a little lost.

This is a powerful read about family, community, love, friendship, loss, and a wonderful dog who ties it all together. It will make you laugh and cry. Please give this book a try. I promise it will touch your heart. The audio and book, six stars each.
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
Because of Winn Dixie was a story about eever lasting friendship but not with a person and a person but with a little girl and her dog. Its not easy living withouta mother now is it? Imagine yourself without your mother in your life... Okay now imagine being raised by a preacher... We have the picture of a motherless preachers daughter and that is what are main character Indian Opel is.... Or we can call her Opal for short.

Opal was in the grocery store buying groceries for the preacher whenever
Kandice
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never had any interest in reading this book or seeing the movie. Imagine my surprise when the library movie/book group I belong to chose this at the one meeting I miss! I am so happy they did! I’m no stranger to YA or children’s literature so don’t know what my reluctance was about. I think I imagined sap, sap, more sap and side of sap. This was NOT sappy!

The story reminded me quite a bit of Billie Letts writing. People in the world are weird, quirky, unique and wonderful. The more people
Richard
This is a short novel but it contains a lot of reflection on grief, pain and friendship. It reminded me in some ways of To Kill a Mockingbird. In both cases, a father is left to take care of his child(ren) without the help of a mother. And in both cases, a young girl, observant but not omniscient, grapples with problems and mysteries much bigger than she is, and gradually works her way toward a solution. The dog, Winn-Dixie, who is bigger than life and twice as goofy, is not so much the main ...more
Amber
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-library
This was a pretty good story about a young girl named Opal who adopts a dog named Winn-Dixie who changes her life and the lives of others. If you like these types of stories, be sure to check this out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Henry Martin
Kate DiCamillo has a way with words. Yes, she does. I must admit that I'm in love with her writing style, and that I have read all of her works.

Some of her books are really funny, like the Marcy Watson series (hey, even a serious reader has to laugh sometime), but the majority of her novel-length works are way too serious to be written off as children's literature.

Yes, the are, undoubtedly, children's themes. But not childish themes. A few years ago I had reviewed her Miraculous Journey of
Janete
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the text and listened to the audio again. In the first time, I listened to the audio in 0,8 velocity, but now I listened to it in 1,2 to training and improving my English. (January 23, 2019)
I read this book in just one sitting listening to the Scribd's audio. This story is sweet, heartbreaking and heart-wrenching. (January 6, 2019)
Brooke
This book captured childhood so beautifully. Loved all the characters and the sweet message of friendship. I have read several of Kate DiCamillo's books and have loved every single one; but I'd have to say this one is my favorite!
ALLEN
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will charm you to your toenails whether or not your daddy is a preacher, you live in a small Southern town, or your dog sneezes when he smiles and is named for a supermarket chain. BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE follows newcomer Opal Buloni as she acquires a ratty, smelly mutt in the aisles of the eponymous grocery store, grooms him, and loves him. The dog loves her back and her minister father too. Before you know it, Opal is going all over town, making friends, finding part-time work, even ...more
Jenny Bunting
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the feels. All of them.
Kyle
Sep 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The talented author of this book is, Kate Dicamillo and the genre of this great book is Adventure.

Ople is the main character of this adventurious story. She is a lonley girl now, she wasnt before she had too move to this dreded town. Now she is veary alone and when she gose to the grocery store she will fine a veary hyper friend.

when Ople arrives at the grocery store she is finding all the employies are freaking out and chasing after someone or something. Ople is getting veary curious and she
Kristie
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens
What a great children's book. Really enjoyed this one.
Katherine
”Just about everything that happened to me that summer happened because of Winn-Dixie.”

I’ll admit right here and now that I’m not a dog person. Never have been and never will be. I think Chihuahuas are Satan’s minions, I can’t stand Boston terriers (long story on that one), and I’m extremely terrified of large dogs. I’m such a teeny tiny person and dogs are notorious for being excited to see someone that they tend to charge at you like a bull running down the streets of Seville. And once they
C.G. Drews
Aw, that was just so DAAAAANG adorable. I just want to hold this book and talk with an American TWAAAAANG. (You totally need to read this with a Southern accent, got it? Which is hilarious, really, considering I'm an Aussie and my "southern accent" probably sounds like a frog getting murdered. But whatever.) I absolutely had to read this because I adore the movie. I'm really surprised how similiar they were. They movie basically followed the plot line-for-line. Awesome!

So the whole time I had
Ensiform
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
[Read four times: 6/18/13, 9/15/16, 9/22/17, 9/24/19]

India Opal Buloni (DiCamillo has a fondness for zany names), a preacher’s daughter newly arrived in town, has trouble dealing with the empty space left by her mother, who left the family seven years previously. One day she adopts a stray dog she finds making trouble in a Winn-Dixie. Having an overly attached, inquisitive dog puts India in new situations which lead her to meet some interesting townsfolk, like the good-natured old librarian with
Mo
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year olds
Shelves: 0-dl, 2016, children, charming
My 10 year old granddaughter Clara has decided to join a book club this year. They are going to meet once a month before school starts for the day, and she asked me if I wanted to join the club too and attend the meetings with her. Guess what my answer was? OF COURSE I WANT TO JOIN YOUR BOOK CLUB WITH YOU CLARA!!! I don’t even care that we will be meeting at 7:00 in the morning (OY!) Granddaughters + Books = Heaven!

Because of Winn-Dixie is the selected book for this month. I could cry because
Raafi
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, english
Cuma IDR 45k di Big Bad Wolf Indonesia.

Aku mulai terlena dengan Kate DiCamillo, sejak Edward Tulane. Tidak terkecuali buku ini. Ceritanya sederhana. Tentang India Opal (nama gadis cilik) yang menemukan seekor anjing di swalayan.

"I just realized something, India Opal. When I told you your mama took everything with her, I forgot one thing, one very important thing that she left behind."

"What?"

"You. Thank God your mama left me you."

Selengkapnya: http://bibliough.blogspot.co.id/2016/...
Mathew
Remarkable to think this was DiCamillo's debut novel. With short chapters that gently build towards the right resolution, Winn-Dixie tells the story of a young girl who wants to understand why her mother has chosen not to live with her or her preacher father anymore. As with most of DiCamillo's books, this is a story about healing and love; about the relationship between children and children and adults and the importance of each one listening openly and valuing the other.

Audra
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just a beautiful book. If you love dogs, if you love children, and if you have any appreciation for the power of love (and dogs) in healing hearts and relationships, then this is a book for you. The writing is great and the story is captivating. This is sort of like "Fried Green Tomatoes" meets "The Sandlot" meets "Snoopy." If you don't love it, I'll eat my hat.
Because of Wiinn Dixie 1 3 Oct 08, 2019 08:19AM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong published date + other 6 16 Aug 06, 2019 09:20AM
review 7 1 1 Apr 26, 2019 12:27PM
Because of winn dixie book reveiw 1 3 Jan 04, 2019 10:53PM

• Bridge to Terabithia
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • Shiloh (Shiloh, #1)
  • Number the Stars
  • Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)
  • Tuck Everlasting
  • Out of My Mind
  • Esperanza Rising
  • Rules
  • Island of the Blue Dolphins
  • Because of Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #1)
  • Bud, Not Buddy
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
“There ain't no way you can hold onto something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it.” 1344 likes
“You can't always judge people by the things they done. You got to judge them by what they are doing now.” 239 likes