Start by marking “Krazy and Ignatz, 1929-1930: A Mice, a Brick, a Lovely Night” as Want to Read:
Krazy and Ignatz, 1929-1930: A Mice, a Brick, a Lovely Night

Krazy and Ignatz, 1929-1930: A Mice, a Brick, a Lovely Night (Krazy and Ignatz)

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This volume is one in a long-term plan to chronologically reprint the entirety of the 28-year run of Krazy Kat's breathtaking Sunday page, most of which has not seen print since originally running in newspapers 75 years ago. Each volume is painstakingly edited by the San Francisco Cartoon Art Museum's Bill Blackbeard, the world's foremost authority on early 20th Century Am ...more
Published July 17th 2003 by Fantagraphics (first published May 8th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Krazy and Ignatz, 1929-1930, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krazy and Ignatz, 1929-1930

Rob McMonigal
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Thus far, I've enjoyed the Krazy Kat collections that I've read. This one, however, rises above the first two Sunday collections and is a thing of comic genius. Herriman, while still keeping the standard "hit-with-a-brick" joke going through most of the issues, starts to branch out further from the idea and allow for variations that give the strip enough depth to go from being a good comic strip to a great comic strip.

It's hard to review such a visual work in text without copying the pictures, b
Michael
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this particular volume yet, but I give it (and all the other books in this series) five stars anyway, because I already know that Herriman deserves every bit of the "genius" label that is often applied to him.

There has never been a comic strip like this; it's as close to poetry as the medium has ever been pushed. Lyrical, surreal, playful, mysterious, transcendent: If I could give this (and all the other volumes in this series) six stars, I would do so.

James
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really like Krazy Kat, but I don't love Krazy Kat...that puts me into some sort of minority of people. However, I do LOVE the character Krazy Kat, feel indifferent about Ignatz and like Officer Pup.
Emily
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The wordplay in the strip is so, so much fun. Also, the Chris Ware covers for all of these Krazy books are beautifully designed. There is sheet music at the back of this volume; someone wrote a "Krazy Kat Rag" back in the day :D
Jessica
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
The history is interesting behind it----I'm not going to be a pretentious comic critic and say I understand EVERYTHING---but I did smile at some of the jokes. I liked some strips better than others---and I like some of the series years better than others...
Kyungmin
Nov 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Call me uncultured (but don't stretch it to say that I'm unappreciative of graphic novels), but I honestly can't comprehend or envision what the literary genius is behind the author and his comic strip.
Amanda
Love, love, love this strip.
Joshua R Derke
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
These are really fun comics that I think formed the foundation for the Simpsons' Itchy and Scratchy.
Robert
Nov 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Only interesting from a history of comics perspective. Tough to read back to back, but a good book to leave in the bathroom.
Mike Jensen
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The usually sublmie George Herriman is usually sublime in these KRAZY KAT strips from 1929-30.
Jason
Apr 06, 2014
Krzysz
Nov 19, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • The Complete Dick Tracy, Vol. 1: 1931-1933
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922
  • Ganges #1
  • Maakies
  • Nancy Is Happy: Complete Dailies, 1943–1945
  • Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
  • Sublife #1
  • The Acme Novelty Library #19
  • Uncle Scrooge: Only a Poor Old Man (The Carl Barks Library, #12)
  • Read Yourself Raw
  • Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries, 1900-1969
  • Alias the Cat!
  • Peepshow: The Cartoon Diary
  • 5 Is the Perfect Number
  • The Frank Book
  • Prince Valiant, Vol. 2: 1939-1940
George Herriman was born August 2nd, 1880. He was an African-American cartoonist whose comic strip Krazy Kat has been said by many to be America’s greatest cartoon.

Herriman was born in New Orleans, but his Creole family soon moved to California. As a teenager, he contributed drawings to local newspapers. In his early 20s, he moved to New York City and freelanced until newspaper mogul William Rand
More about George Herriman

Krazy and Ignatz (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Geo Herriman's Krazy Ignatz: The Komplete Kat Komics, 1916 (Krazy & Ignatz Volume 1)
  • Geo. Herriman's Krazy and Ignatz: The Limbo of Useless Unconsciousness (Krazy and Ignatz, Vol. 3)
  • Geo. Herriman's Krazy and Ignatz: Howling Among the Halls of Night (Krazy and Ignatz, Vol. 4)
  • Krazy and Ignatz 1920 Pilgrims on the Road to Nowhere: The Komplete Kat Komics
  • Geo. Herriman's Krazy and Ignatz: Sure As Moons Is Cheeses (Krazy and Ignatz, Vol 6, 1921)
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1916-1918: Love in a Kestle or Love in a Hut