Start by marking “Superman: The Third Kryptonian” as Want to Read:
Superman: The Third Kryptonian

Superman: The Third Kryptonian

(Superman by Kurt Busiek #Action Comics #847, Superman, #6)

When he faced an alien called the Auctioneer, Superman learned that - as well as himself and Supergirl - there was another survivor of his dead home planet of Krypton. Join his quest to discover the identity of the third Kryptonian - if he can get there before its too late!
Published October 7th 2008 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Start your review of Superman: The Third Kryptonian
Douglas Gibson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A somewhat generic story but seeing Superman, Supergirl, Powergirl, and Krypto (not to mention Batman!) all fight together make this a worth-while and fun read. The issue in this volume dedicated to the origin story of "the third kryptonian" was my least favorite in the collection, probably because I didn't care much about this character I just meet. The 2 issues in the collection take place after the main story has been resolved and are a nice to bonus to a Superman fan.
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This another one of those graphic novels I picked up simply because it came through the library and it looked interesting. And, while I can't say it's one of my favorite Superman stories, it definitely had several elements that I really enjoyed. The actual story arc with the third Kryptonian wasn't particularly interesting. Don't get me wrong--it was fine. But it really just seemed like typical comic book action. In short, that part of the graphic novel didn't really stand out. What did stand ou ...more
Michael
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: loeg-archives
Busiek has to bother us with expositional excuses for THREE exceptions (PG, alternate reality; Krypto, off planet; Chris, in Phantom Zone) to justify Karsta being the third!

Pretty forgettable book. Beyond the qualifiers placed on her being the third, the entire middle chapter was a really long, mostly boring exposition about who she was and how she got there. I liked the guy trying to hunt down and kill all the Kryptonians, but the arc was fairly dull over all.

The other two stories - a filler is
Jawairia
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
The funny thing is i expected this to be a very boring,non-entertaining and horrible written graphic novel.Yet when i made it a couple of pages through the pace was picking up.The fun part was when they included batman and robin how robin showed the kid around which was really adorable.They all had this little picnic with the Kents and its just the heart warming feeling in the end that makes your entire day!
Lizz
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
The actual third Kryptonian wasn't terribly interesting to me, but I did loooove all the stuff with Batman, Robin, and Chris.
Dony Grayman
Edición española de Superman: The Third Kryptonian.
Jesse A
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Any book with Krypto the super dog gets an automatic 1 star demotion. However add Krypto and a super kid. Blech.
Zachary King
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty inert storytelling. The title story ends up not mattering much at all, with the identity of the third Kryptonian landing like a lead balloon and ultimately both having any effect on Superman one bit. Two other stories in the trade give us a nice Norman Rockwell approach to the Superman family, especially Ma and Pa Kent.
Nicholas
Oct 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Fail. Luckily there are three semi-related stories in this collection. The Third Kryptonian story sucked big time, nothing significant here emotionally. You'd think the discovery of another live Kryptonian would be something of momentous importance to the Man of Steel, but apparently it's just another day at the bank. Not to mention that the cast of characters defeats the whole emotional impact of there being three survivors of Krypton, because apparently Powergirl doesn't count (she's from Kryp ...more
Chris
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
I keep wishing I liked Kurt Busiek's Superman more than I do. I'm a fan of the writer's Marvel work; I'm of the opinion that his run on Marvel's Thunderbolts is one of the best genre comics of a fallow period in the history of superhero funnybooks. His DC output hasn't been my thing however. I didn't enjoy The Power Company, I couldn't get into Trinity. His run on Superman just started showing up at my local library in trades, so I decided to give it a shot.

Ultimately, this a very middle of the
Mark
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This collection has three stories, the first one is so-so story, but is partially redeemed by the other two. The first, The Third Kryptonian is three-issues, whose titular character has been built up in a couple of previous stories. The plot involves your very basic aggressive alien whose extreme hostility towards the good guys is sorta understandable, because he wants revenge on Kryptonians for what they did to his people, even if his story and race were never established previously, topped wit ...more
Ragnell
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm not a diehard follower of the Superman mythos. I don't know his ins and outs as well as I do Green Lantern or Wonder Woman, but I found this continuity cruncher easy enough to follow and engaging anyway. It expands and enhances the whole Kryptonian background by adding a few survivors who aren't Superman, and contrary to what "Last Son means LAST" fans argue, this can be done in a way that doesn't detract from Clark's specialness. In fact, this trade emphasizes just what a one of a kind pers ...more
Bob
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, from-library
Fun stories.
There are two writers who really get the essence of Clark Kent -- Waid and Busiek. These are writers who feel they don't have to change the character, just build on what's there. This is what Busiek does in this collection. He writes Clark Kent, not Superman. Not that there isn't any fights or anything, but in these stories you get that Superman is the maks, not Clark. The man is more prominent than the super.
Nicolas
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another solid Superman tale. I just love it when the author gets the characters right. So far, Kurt Busiek hasn't let me down. This was just such a good story. It's always fun when they bring in the whole Superman Family. I found the main story, "The Third Kryptonian" to be entertaining and unique. I love the friendship that they've established between Batman & Superman. It's so natural and realistic. The bonus stories included were also nice additions.
Geoff Derks
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
That's the Third Kryptonian? Let's see if this will pay off. Also, seeing Batman in a Superman comic is always a plus - especially when they banter.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
Fair stories. I actually think the McDuffie issue is better than the four by Busiek.
A
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
The main story was fairly mediocre, but the Dwayne McDuffie penned one at the end about Clark and Jonathan almost made up for that.
Joshlynn
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-and-comix
Busiek's run on Superman is massively frustrating. It's rich with neat ideas and additions to the mythos that are never fully explored and have never been mentioned since. Sigh.
Danie
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc
Bad art, but a fine story, and 'The Best Day' was a great story.
Brian Stillman
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, read-2008
About all it needed was Kurt Schaffenberger art and some SuperBaby back-ups to complete the cheesiness. Great scott.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
A well drawn and well written book, but it just felt like a filler issue.
Andrew Schroeder
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The titular story arc is just okay, but it's the final two issues included that get the 5 stars. Two of the best Superman stories I've ever read!
Nazary

• Superman: Zero Hour
  • Justice League/Aquaman: Drowned Earth
  • Supergirl: Being Super
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 13: The Hunt for Raven
  • The Leopard Prince (Princes Trilogy, #2)
  • Teen Titans, Volume 3: The Sum of Its Parts
  • Teen Titans, Volume 2: Rogue Targets
  • Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood, #3)
  • Teen Titans, Volume 4: When Titans Fall
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Batman: R.I.P.
  • Jinx (Bigtime, #3)
  • Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Injustice 2, Vol. 6
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Superman by Kurt Busiek (9 books)
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • Superman: Back in Action
  • Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 1
  • Superman: Camelot Falls, Vol. 2: The Weight of the World
  • Superman: Redemption
  • Superman: 3-2-1 Action!
  • Superman: Shadows Linger