Start by marking “Calamity: Being an Account of Calamity Jane and Her Gunslinging Green Man” as Want to Read:
Calamity: Being an Account of Calamity Jane and Her Gunslinging Green Man

Read Book

Calamity: Being an Account of Calamity Jane and Her Gunslinging Green Man

“Jordan's weird western snatches the best adventure and suspense elements from both genres and distills them to their essences, creating a violence-laced but enjoyable romp.”—Publishers Weekly

Calamity is a lesson on how to do it right. Highly recommended.”—Peter David, New York Times Best-selling Author

“J. D. Jordan's Calamity is a satisfyingly gritty, intense and en

Published September 1st 2016 by Heliosphere Books

To ask other readers questions about Calamity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calamity

Blair
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whenever someone recommends a book to me, I approach the task of reading it with some trepidation. Mainly because I've been on the receiving end of some lousy recommendations.
But not this time. No siree!

In "Calamity: Being an Account of Calamity Jane and Her Gunslinging Green Man", JD Jordan has created a work that will stay with me for a long time. His use of the vernacular is the element that captivated me from the beginning. It's no exaggeration to say that the voice of Calamity Jane is remi
Angie Gallion
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jordan's Calamity is VOICE, if you take my meaning. The novel is told in series of three "Books" and each of these books is one set of adventures. The narrator, Calamity Jane is telling the stories of her life to a writer who is transcibing her words for the public. This is her memoir and she is reminiscing thirty years into her past to the time the adventures took place. It's unlike any memoir I've ever read, and even though there are moments that Calamity Jane reminds us that she is telling th ...more
George Weinstein
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Writing in the vernacular of the Wild West--and nailing it in a way that will appeal to historical purists while also tickling fans of Firefly and Deadwood--Jordan gives us Calamity Jane's origin story with a sci-fi twist: she comes of age with a prehensile-antennaed, green-skinned alien as her sidekick. Jane is violent when she has to be and as profane as a grizzled frontiersman, but also shows tenderness and emotional vulnerability. Rooting for her and her laconic, gun-slinging green man durin ...more
Chris Negron
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The voice of his scifi / western is so compelling and original and unique! You'll be drawn into the action from page one as you journey alongside young Calamity Jane through the perils of the old West, with a hell of "green" sidekick who sometimes helps her out of trouble and sometimes helps get her into it.
Emily Carpenter
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was like nothing I've ever read, and I LOVED it. It's a brilliantly imagined adventure crossed with a story of trust and faith and all the things of the universe we think we understand but don't - there's action and humor and pathos...so much heart in these pages. Do not miss this jewel of a book.
Wendy S. Delmater
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Calamity is a Wild, Weird West version of the story of Calamity Jane, “Being an account of Calamity Jane and her gunslinging green man.” Her “green man” is an alien, one of two species visiting earth, and he has antennae and huge eyes, odd powers, and rather better strength and reflexes than humans. He’s also a dead shot, and wants off earth while dishonest humans want his tech—especially the space ship he plans to travel home on. When something happens to that ship, something also happens to Ja ...more
Seregil of Rhiminee
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

J. D. Jordan's debut novel, Calamity: Being an Account of Calamity Jane and Her Gunslinging Green Man, is an interesting piece of speculative fiction, because it combines science fiction and western elements in an original and enjoyable way. It's an intriguing glimpse into the early life of Martha Jane Canary, who is better known as Calamity Jane, because it reveals what happened to her when she met an alien gunslinger and longrider called the Green Man.

I'm s
Ellie Jordan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
JD Jordan's ability to write in the voice (and feel) of a female character is beyond amazing! I COULD NOT put this book down! Westerns and sci fi were not my niche - but thanks to JD I am hooked...as long as he keeps writing them that is! I loved the vernacular and the story arced in all the right places. I'm so eager to read more about the Green Man...to be honest I'm eager to read anything else by this amazing new author!!
April
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The voice of Martha Jane Canary telling her story is simply fabulous. You fall in love with the characters, are invested in their future, cry when they are hurt and hoot n’holler when they win. A crazy little ride through familiar territory I did not want this book to end!
Laura Henderson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Synopsis

The story we all know of Calamity Jane is not what we think. This story follows Calamity as a 15 year old girl and her alien side kick. When tragedy strikes close to Jane she begins a journey of revenge with her sidekick alien. This fun sci-fi western goes from the wild west to guns and star ships. On this adventure Jane will discover her true feelings for revenge vs loyalty, as the reader discovers how the west was really won.

The Review

I loved, loved, loved this book! This is the fi
Brandy Porter
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun read! Definitely worth the commitment.

From the beginning you're introduced to Calamity Jane as a young, naive girl. She's complex, opinionated, and fiery. As an older, more seasoned woman, telling her own story—how she grew from one Martha Jane Canary to the legendary Calamity Jane—she owns who she was, and what she did during her time with the Green Man, a man from another world playing cowboy to survive in the American West.

Usually when a male author writes in a female voice, it fai
Cynthia Roberson
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This debut novel by author J.D. Jordan is some good readin'. This western with a sci-fi twist was a new genre for me! I honestly didn't know what to expect or if I would enjoy reading a western. But I was VERY pleasantly surprised.

I did have to google a few of the phrases from the wild west I was unfamiliar with, which was an adventure in and of itself. It totally helped me feel connected to Martha Jane's story and feel like I was right there in Wyoming with her and her Green Man. You can a
Noah
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, sci-fi
I heard J.D. Jordan speak at RavenCon 13.5 on an AU panel, and his intellect and presentation immediately sold me his book. I knew I wanted to read what he wrote before he even finished speaking.

Calamity did not disappoint!

As Jeff Noon might have done, Jordan drops you into Jane's world and expects you to keep up with the slang and pace. He captures both tenderness and bombast with equal skill.

You'll want to read this.
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2017 marked it as might-come-back-to
I'll eventually come back to this. I stopped at page 115. I think it's the fact that everything is purposefully grammatically off, prose and dialogue, that made it hard for me to read. Because I notice errors in hardcover books that had editing. I know it's the style for the book and main character but it was too jarring for me when I had to reread sentences and auto correct in my head before continuing to read.

So this is a did not finish book for now.
Frank Reddy
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very well-written and so original. Highly recommended!
Misha
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Nohing wrong with this book, but it just wasn't me. Solid three stars, more if you like westerns. More of a tall tale than SF since the aliens/weapons just are (no science, etc).
Steve Kemp
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Ride ! Won my copy from giveaway on GoodReads .
Lara Goldstein

• Static Push
  • Cyber World: Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow
  • Mainline
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2016
  • More than a Man
  • How to Pass as Human
  • Cathedrals of Glass: A Planet of Blood and Ice
  • Crash Deluxe (Parrish Plessis, #3)
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Alien Next Door
  • Passion Model
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • Stay Crazy
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Stories by Women
  • All Good Children
  • Uhura's Song
JD Jordan lives in Atlanta, Georgia with his wife, Ellie, and a whole bunch of kids. He’s a huge scifi nerd but, despite the contents of this novel, never purposefully sat down to watch or read a Western until the Green Man rode into his imagination. Now he can’t get enough of them.

Calamity is his first novel.

You can find sample chapters, a companion story, a guide to Jane's calamitous saddle slan
“what I like and what I need’s two different things.” 3 likes