Start by marking “Things from the Flood” as Want to Read:
Things from the Flood

Things from the Flood

The Loop is closed. Life is returning to normal when the pastoral countryside is suddenly flooded by dark water from the huge abandoned underground facility. Rumors spread in classrooms and schoolyards, stories about the flood and how it has brought something with it. One thing is clear: the past is not ready to be forgotten. Simon Stalenhag is back. In his new artbook Thi ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Design Studio Press (first published September 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Things from the Flood, please sign up.
John Ronald Not really. You can enjoy the stories here without direct reference to the previous work.

Start your review of Things from the Flood
Andrew
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another instalment of the fictitious memoirs of the author. The mixture of atmospheric images and haunting text make for an extremely memorable book.

The story really carries on from the first book Tales from the Loop - where now it has been decided that the loop is to be shut down. However this brings all sorts of unexpected complications which the author reminisces. To a certain extent it reads like a rites of passage as he changes his home, his friends and even his school.

The artwork
Mark Seemann
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Things from the Flood picks up where Tales from the Loop left off. When I originally decided to buy these two books via Kickstarter, I didn't expect them to contain any sort of narrative, but they do, and it works.

When I first saw Simon Stålenhag's pictures combining science fiction elements with rural 70s or 80s Sweden, I fell for the enigmatic atmosphere. What sort of world was this? Clearly not historical Sweden, but still uncannily recognisable.

Usually, when I find myself draw
Fiona
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the artwork got brighter and more colourful, the mood of this book darkened and took a turn for the disturbing. It's more urban and wider in scope than the first collection - rather than silent and abandoned monoliths in snow-muffled, empty landscapes, almost everything in this book was drawn while life (in whatever form) was still present.
Losing a star is purely down to personal preference - the artwork and the writing quality remained absolutely stellar.
beentsy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surreal. You’ll keep asking yourself, how did I never know about this history? Then shaking your head and remembering it’s not real.

This sequel was a little more disturbing, just so you know.
Ed Erwin
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, comics
Unlike any other book I've seen. It is hard to say whether this is an "art book" or a set of short stories, a graphic novel, or a picture book for adults. That sort of ambiguity always attracts me!

Ultimately, I'd have to say this is an "art book" because the artwork comes first. The artist created the digital paintings first. They all mix images of Swedish countryside in the 1980s with robots and other futuristic apparatus. But there wasn't originally any real backstory. He later wro
Tony McMillen
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. Nails the mystery of adolescence and darkness of growing up.
Bridgette
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The artwork even better in this one. Some are so detailed and life like, I have to remind myself that it's not a picture. My favorite were the vagabonds, and I really hope they get their own book someday. This is perfect blend of surrealism and body horror (sorta? robot body horror?) that I love.
Steef
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, sci-fi, art-book
As many will by now know, this book contains many gorgeous illustrations. It is very possible that this is my favourite style of illustration in sci-fi or fantasy, or even non-fiction at the moment. Why is that?

Simon Stålenhag's worlds are always very familiar in a strange way, yet also complete science fiction at the same time. The use of real landscapes and vintage cars and builings and the like makes that you can really imagine what it's like to be there. They give you a sense of
Pearse Anderson
This was just what I needed in my life! And it was so, so good. But I did prefer Tales From The Loop, if I'm being honest. Stålenhag's art quality has increased, I'm sure, but the vignettes didn't come together in the way I hoped. There was falling action without a climax, which could be fine since they are vignettes, but the entire book built wonderfully to a sense of RISING tension and stakes. For that to cut out in the last 30 pages, accompanied with some panels that I really wished were expl ...more
Elina
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing. You can see the details of the paintings very well. Prepare to be in awe of his ability to observe the world around him and recreate it very realistically (or surrealistically, with the robots and dinosaurs), not just how different surfaces look matte, shiny, bright, slippery, round or sharp, but also the impressionistic quality of human vision in the peripheries and at distance. He is a very good scenery painter, and his imagination is just amazing.

I was also surprised by how g
Sam Hatfield
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A somewhat different, darker feel than the first book, but I still liked it overall. Simon's art is beautiful and evocative as always.
Sheherazahde
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
These are very strange books. I recommend them as examples of world building. But they are somewhat lacking in plot.

It is a memoir of someone who was not involved in momentous events going on around them. Events that we only see glimpses of while a teenage boy has a relatively normal life. His parents got divorced in the last book. In this one he bounces between his parent's homes. His mother gets a new boyfriend. He pirates video games. He makes and loses a friend. He starts dating (that story
Travis
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where “Tales from the Loop” focused on childhood, “Things from the Flood” focuses on adolescence.

This sequel continues to play with the idea of nostalgically looking back on youth, but with elements of alternate history thrown in. This is not the 1990’s as they happened.

The artwork is grounded in beautiful natural imagery with rusted, discarded science fiction devices falling slowly apart like old tractors in a field.

That said, human begins are still recognizably human. Teenagers are still te
David Nadas
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Things from the Flood is a continuation of Tales From the Loop, each brilliant, each filled with imagery and narration, sometimes stopping me in my place just to view the detail of the artwork as if I were there myself, feeling the grey slush of snow melting from the Loop below. These books are stories of an alternative history--but beyond that. I want a house filled with his artwork, but if I had, I might never leave it.
Valerie
I loved this. It continues the story from Tales from the Loop, taking the protagonist from childhood to early adolescence. It shares many of the qualities of the first book, but it has a slightly darker, eerier tone, which is fitting since the main character is older. I think the text in this book is slightly stronger than the text in the first book, and the art overall might be a little bit weaker. Not by much, though—there are just as many images in this book that have really stuck with me.
Rich Rosell
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stålenhag's oversized followup to the trippy 'Tales From the Loop' dips deeper into his unique approach to art and science fiction, continuing the slow-burn story of an 'event' that occurred in Sweden in the late 1990s. The storytelling is minimalist and effective, but it's really Stålenhag's sci-fi meets suburbia full page artwork that makes this so wonderfully off-kilter. I may not know art, but I know what I like - and this is it. Big time.
Jeph
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Beautiful art. Interesting story. But it almost seems like there's a different, more interesting story being told in the art than in the text. I wanted more details, but figure it's up to the imagination.

Too bad I have to enjoy these out of order. I was able to get "after the flood" before "tales from the loop" through the library.
Ryan Monson
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating artwork and a more cohesive story than the first volume. I feel like Mr. Stalenhag found his writing way through these books, then when he came out with "The Electric State" he put it all together to create something completely amazing. This book is very good but if you read one book from Stalenhag, that one is epic.
Joshua
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are a wonderful mix of art and narrative. the stories aren't quite full plots, they're more like descriptions of a world with a lightly developed story or character study. It really works. This is mostly because the dystopias Stalenhag creates are so satisfying, but also because the coming of age stories would be convincing even without the robots, wormholes and dinosaurs.
Melissa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a storybook for adults set in a cybergothic 1990's Sweden. The illustrations were beautifully rendered and so clever. The story perspective as told by a teenager was well done. I understood why these teenagers were to be found in the adult section. The slow creeping horror reminded me of Stranger Things crossed with Aliens.
Christopher
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fragments of story based on beautiful pieces of artwork by Simon Stålenhag. As the narrator is older than Tales From the Loop (this is a sequel) things are a little darker. I still feel like the book doesn't quite nail the nostalgia aspect of the alternate past. But it is still beautiful, and haunting, and enjoyable.
Lew
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm huge fan of Simon Stålenhag's illustrative artwork. I continue to be mesmerized by his illustrations. I have now read all three of his books. This books starts where Tales From the Loop ended. I hope Stålenhag continues to create books.
Ali
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this even more than Tales from the Loop (even though I gave them both 5 stars). This one felt like a more cohesive story to me and the other more episodic. It’s definitely darker than the first book. If you like Tales from the Loop, you’ll like Things from the Flood!
Michael Knolla
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jill Carroll
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darker and more strange than Tales from the Loop, but still awesome.
Seth
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suffers only in comparison with the first book. Darker and more brooding (like the teenage version of Tales from the Loop) but still excellent.
Hannah
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good. Just buy these books.
Sarah Daniluk
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-novels
Incredible art, disturbing story-line and a future, or is it past, I hope never to live.
Merzbau
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this made me incredibly sad
Gina
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artsy-fart
I'm pretty sure everything Simon Stalenhag does is just straight up magic!

• James Cameron's Story of Science Fiction
  • The Nao of Brown
  • National Monuments
  • Hayate the Combat Butler, Vol. 34
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • The Making of Stanley Kubrick’s '2001: A Space Odyssey'
  • Star Wars: Doctor Aphra, Vol. 3: Remastered
  • Tacopedia
  • Long Time Gone
  • The Barefoot Architect
  • Beneath the Roses
  • Pig Perfect: Encounters with Remarkable Swine and Some Great Ways to Cook Them
  • I, Justine: An Analog Memoir
  • Lucha Loco
Konstnären och författaren Simon Stålenhag är mest känd för sina digitala målningar som ofta visar vardagliga scener med fantastiska inslag. Efter sitt genombrott 2013 har Stålenhag publicerat två böcker om ett alternativt 1980- och 90-tal på Mälaröarna utanför Stockholm. Ur varselklotet (2014) och Flodskörden (2016) har hyllats både i Sverige och utomlands. Den ansedda tidningen The Guardian kora ...more