Start by marking “Never Trust a Stranger” as Want to Read:
Never Trust a Stranger

Never Trust a Stranger

(Lonely Heart, Deadly Heart #2)

New York Times bestselling author Mary Monroe takes you on the ultimate twist-filled ride with her Lonely Heart, Deadly Heart series. For two restless women looking for satisfaction, too much of a good thing is never enough--even as a lethal passion closes in...

Best friends Lola Poole and Joan Proctor-Riley have finally found the love and excitement they've always longed
Published March 28th 2017 by Dafina Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Trust a Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Trust a Stranger

Start your review of Never Trust a Stranger
Selena
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mary monroe give it straight to u no chaser she the best, you already know! My queen!
Johnnie Kent Baker
Not All That

I really don't like when authors build up all this suspense and leave you hanging like it's an end of the season of a television show. This book could have been finished with a few more chapters.

Probably won't read the next one.
Misse Jones
3.5 Stars — overall good, some parts redundant

Although it took me awhile to get around to it, I was anxious to continue with the Lonely Heart, Deadly Heart series and see where we’d left off with the adventures of Joan and Lola and now Calvin.

There were points that I loved in the book, especially seeing Joan coming into her own after having been so close with Lola for so long. I was eager to get deeper into Calvin’s story but I felt his character was the most difficult to understand with the
Joi
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. I didn't like the ending because nothing really happened. It was a nice quick read but I don't know if I will pick up the next book in the series. It was good to see the main characters again but they were still up to the same things that they were up to in the first book. I didn't really see any progression and that disappointed me.
Shaunda
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I enjoy this author. Her novels are quick reads. The characters & plot are well developed.

With that being said, I'm going to back track and read Every Women's Dream. Lola & Joan are a hot mess. But messy is very entertaining.

I'll be back shortly with my review on Every Women's Dream.

Until then, Ciao!
Burgundy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. At times it was a little drawn out. I this book we continue the saga of Joan and Lola who are still hooking up with men on the website Discreet Encounters. Joan is still in a loveless marriage with a man who threatens suicide Everytime she wants to leave. then there is Lola who meets Calvin who she thinks is here prince charming or is he?. some parts of the book had dialogue that added nothing to the story and it ended with a cliffhanger so we will be getting another ...more
Candy
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Trust A Stranger

The title speaks for it self. Very good book. The characters had me scratching my head. I found myself screaming at the characters. Can't wait for the next book to the series
Say What Book Club
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Never Trust a Stranger by Mary Monroe

Lesa Divine
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuous from book 1.

Got to get to read Calvin point of view. He's something else.

Lola moving to fast in love omg.

Joan and her sex life with her hubby isnt still great.

Now cant wait to read book 3. I have some predictions.
Stacey Price
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS A GOOD BOOK. MARY IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS.
Lana
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Bought this one because I have read everything by Ms Monroe , characters very believable seem like people you know. Mr Calvin a man with a mission .just I thought he would get what's coming to him. A page Turner . To be continued

Linda
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Just happened to see this book title and it caught my eye in the library a few weeks ago!! I didn’t realize that this was a series and the story sometime dragged on. I didn't like how the story ended cause I didn’t know I was reading a series. It got really predictable given how online dating can be meaning a hit or miss. The two main characters were predictable. Overall, a good book but it didn’t keep me on the edge of my seat.
Missy Michaels
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
As I've stated in previous reviews, since elementary school and reading Little House on the Prairie books I don't care much for reading series. I have a strong preference for stand alone books and didn't realize until just as I was starting this novel that I had selected book 2 in a series. Oh well, that's on me. I was thrown off right away by best friends Lola and Joan within the first 3 chapters. Lola is single. Joan is the married mother of one son. The two friends are both members of an ...more
Dorothy
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Part 2 and it was great. I'm ready to read Part 3 but I will just have to wait until October 2017.
Tumika Patrice
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Best friends Lola and Joan are two women dissatisfied with their lives who are hell bent on turning the odds of happiness in their favor…even if only for a moment. Both are attractive, intelligent, and sexually free, but each has an albatross around her neck. For Lola it comes in the form of an overbearing, selfish, smothering stepmother who is determined not to be left alone in her older years. A promise made to her father on his deathbed keeps her fully entrenched in the old woman’s ...more
KayBee's  Bookshelf
It appears that the author has adopted the new style of writing I see . And that is to draw out a series for several books, cliffhangers that occur at the most unexpected times, incomplete and repetitive chapters and losing readers in the process from frustration .

The best parts of this audio book were the chapters told from Daniel's perspective. Unfortunately, they were few and far between. Each conversation between the 2 characters that the author chose as the primaries in this series was the
Samantha T
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not really her best work. It was very hard to keep myself interested enough to read the entire book, its very slow-paced in some areas.
Vera Wilson
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I won this, not my normal read. But always try to finish what I start. These ladies really into risky situation. One been married for years, but still joined a web site and picks up dates "for pleasure". The other joined also and gets dates the same way. Imagine reading 300 pages and at the bottom of the page see TO BE CONTINIED. Sorry don't think I'll be reading the next book.

Hope others will enjoy better than me.
Larita
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was too long, with not enough new details.

I was a little disappointed. The most interesting part was Berthas daughter. The Reed suicide contemplation dragged. And then to be continued? Bait and switch.
Michael Bell
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
The premise for the book reminds me of an Eric Jerome Dickey novel. People sign up for a sex club and then rate each other on their encounters. Lola and Joan were two members who were involved with these encounters. Joan was married but sexing everyone moving. Mary Monroe is nowhere close to Mr. Dickey in writing style. Calvin, a so-called serial killer, who seems to be attracted to women who look like his ex-wife, is juggling Sylvia and Lola with wimpy excuses. I will NOT be reading part Two.
Michelle Hill
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining but I didn’t realize this was a book in a series/ I never read the first book so I started in the middle. The boo is well written though so you wouldn’t even realize you were starting in the middle of the series. The main characters Joan and Lola are best friends who join an online sex-club. Joan is married to a wealthy man she is miserable with while Lola lives with her step-mother and wishes for a husband. Lola’s desperate quest for a husband leads her right into the arms of ...more
Kenya
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well Lola, Joan and the rest of the messy crew are back again. This installment was filled with more drama, lies and crazy characters. The dynamics between Lola and Joan with their families is still annoying to me. I do agree with the other readers that this series could have wrapped up with this book but I will read the third installment because I have to know what happens.
**I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review**

Kenya E
Soul Sistahs Book Club
Simone
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a bit annoyed at the ending, I hadn’t realized it was a series until I started the book. All the suspense was building up around Calvin and Lola.... and then nothing happened. It wasn’t a cliff hanger that would have you running to get the next book. It felt like an ending to a season of a TV show. It took me some time to finish because I could tell that no climax was building for an explosive ending. Overall a quick, easy read.
Zandra
If you are a fan of Mary Monroe you will love this book. Just as in the previous book in this series(Lonely Heart, Deadly Heart) Monroe constantly repeats key plot points as if the reader has no memory. Honestly, the only reason why I keep reading is I want to see if Calvin follows through on his plan and what becomes of Joan and Reed.
Bridget
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, but the ending leaves you upset. To be continued is how it ends. You can't wait to see how this ends and it doesn't end. This book does hold your attention from start to finish. The main characters are a mess, but I like characters that are real and everything doesn't go right for them, because that is real life.
Andrea Ward
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
My bookclub read this book. There was a 50% split on our like/dislike for the book. I liked the book even though for me the Mother Reed's character could have been more developed. I agree with another posted who said the book could have been completed with a few more chapters. Why take the reader into another book!? I wanted Calvin to stop crying wolf & do whatever he was going to do! As far as Joan & Lola were concerned...make a decision! The life really was not for them but they ...more
Hilda Holt
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lola, I want her to find happiness.

This book ia a page turner. I didn't want it to end. I am ready to see what happens next. When will Reed find out about Joan and when will things come to a boil. This story line has so many outcomes.
Keesha
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like all of Mary Monroe's books, however, I believe I already read this one and accidently picked it up again without realizing it. I had read two chapters before I was sure, LOL. Mary is crazy and keeps us laughing.
Stacey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I will not finish this series
Melody
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The characters are colorful and the story itself is fairly interesting ... I'd like to read more about the two main characters!

• Sin of a Woman (Reverend Curtis Black, #14)
  • Better Late Than Never (Reverend Curtis Black #15)
  • The Black Market
  • If Only For One Night
  • Seeking Sarah
  • Man on the Run
  • The Wives We Play
  • The Perfect Affair (The Shady Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Best Friends Forever
  • Sleeping with Strangers (Gideon, #1)
  • The Book in Room 316
  • Trouble in Rio: A Family Business Novel
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER

Lonely Heart, Deadly Heart (3 books)
  • Every Woman's Dream