Jump to ratings and reviews
Kelly Kavanagh was Liam’s happily ever after, his loyal princess. A lifeline to something better than any high school dropout could ever hope for…until the day she left to pursue a dream that didn’t include him and slowly his kingdom crumbled to the ground.

Liam O’Connell was the sun to Kelly’s everlasting moon, her painted prince. A strong and devoted soul to fight the war she was slowly losing against herself…until his promises had become lies and her dream was the only way she would ever survive.

They have more than just miles and time between them now. The twin fortresses they’ve built around their hearts are next to impossible to scale. But, when two parallel fates collide in life and in death, will the impact be powerful enough to break down their self-imposed walls?

Every love story starts with Once Upon a Time, but in real life there are no fairytale endings, and the prince who rescues you...will never wear a crown.

**Interconnected Stand Alone**

316 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 23, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

A.M. Johnson

33 books1,605 followers
A.M. Johnson lives in Utah with her family where she works as a full-time nurse. If she’s not at the hockey rink with her kiddos, you’ll find her buried in a book or behind the keyboard. She loves romance and all things passionate. Amanda enjoys exploring all genres and bringing life to the human experience.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
9 (1%)
1 star
2 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 167 reviews
Profile Image for Rebecca Woodward.
272 reviews148 followers
June 1, 2017
The angst this story puts the characters through was courageous! I love these characters so much. The love they have for each other is breath taking. I cried and cried for them. The emotional roller coaster is wild. I was actually cheering towards the end and saying "finally" yay!! I can't wait to read the next installment. It will be epic!!!
Profile Image for Bev .
1,890 reviews395 followers
June 14, 2017
I was in the mood for an angsty read without the craptastic NA dramafest that usually accompanies these type of books. I'm thrilled to say I got all the angst and feels I was wanting without the NA drama.

This author's writing just works for me, it's on point, tight and rich. That said, this book had a LOT of flashbacks, though they were done really well. Whilst I loved it, it's not on the scale of love I felt for Declan and Paige's story ...... because Declan.

Profile Image for Sarah/DragonflyReads.
677 reviews162 followers
 photo AD17B7D6-3F6B-46F5-9F55-C8C3D71B75A5.jpg

Once again, AM Johnson pulls out all the stops. KINGDOM is so beautifully unique and surprising, it made the story utterly unputdownable.

The way Johnson weaves a fairy tale into the story is unlike anything I've read before and sets the bar as a romance for the ages. Well done!
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,082 reviews860 followers
May 22, 2017
This was my very first AM Johnson read, so I had very little idea as to what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised.

Kingdom is the second in the Avenues Ink series and features a second chance romance between Kelly Kavanagh, a girl wanting nothing more than to escape the small town she grew up in, and Liam O'Connell. A rough tattoo artist from the wrong side of the tracks, unable to let go of the responsibility to take care of his family. Even it it costs him his only chance at happiness.

Kelly had big dreams. She knew that if she could escape her life and this town, she'd make it. Falling in love with Liam didn't change those plans, but when it became evident that he was never really considering leaving with her - she had to make her choice. She left. He stayed. And they loved. Oh, how they never stopped loving each other.

But when her father's health takes a turn for the worse, Kelly returns home. Running into Liam was something she wanted to avoid, but it became unavoidable. In a high-anst and dramatic romance, things take a twist and everything changes. Suddenly the flashy life of a model isn't in the plans for Kelly anylonger and although Liam knows his heart is at risk, he can't let her take on this life change alone. Even if that means that they fight like cats and dogs and refuse to be honest about their feelings.

Kingdom is one of those books where you want to shake sense into the characters. Both could have saved so much heartache if they'd just open their mouths and be honest with each other. But that makes for a boring book - so we have zero communication, lots of angst and a stomach tied up in knots.

I really love a second chance romance. There is something hopeful about it. That no matter how ruined it might be, that sometimes love is enough to conquer all. That some loves will survive anything. Kingdom was that sort of romance. One about a boy and girl who fell in love at maybe just the wrong time. Too young to fully appreciate what it all meant, but now that they were older and wiser, they knew what it was like to live without it. They knew it hurt more being apart.

A stunningly emotional romance and I'm certainly going to be reading book one to catch up on this series and continuing the journey.

ARC
Profile Image for Yvette (Booksandbandanas).
485 reviews104 followers
May 31, 2017
AM JOHNSON.

Every damn time. I have read all of AMJ books. I was rooting for her at book one, and now to see her flourish into this profound author it's indescribable.

THE FEELS.

This was unlike any story I've come across, AMJ writing is again, a poetically, heart pounding experience.

Liam and Kelly from the very first encounter I knew they would steal my heart. AND THEY DID. I'm a sucker for angsty writing. I love the feel of my heart fluttering, and my eyes running across words that make my world turn on its axis. This book gave me all of that, and a million other reasons to fall deeper into AMJ world. She writes damaged men to a T!!!! I always think there is no way I can love this book as much as I loved the last, and then it happens again and again.

Kelly & Liam. Both damaged. Both lost & Angry & hopelessly perfect. I loved these too the anger the pain I felt it all.

AMJ, you slay me.

"Belonging to him, being with him, kissing him, tasting him, feeling him, it felt too right, and I’d already learned the hard way nothing that good comes without a price."

photo 1E2D2830-A95F-4960-A5F5-3FA124F70901_zpsjkzm6r8a.jpg

I have said it again, and again. But I will say it AGAIN. If you haven't picked up a book by this author, you are missing out on a world. A world I don't have words for. She's just unreal.
Profile Image for book bruin.
1,055 reviews276 followers
May 29, 2017
A.M. Johnson has blown me away again with this beautifully broken second chance romance! I absolutely LOVED this book and Liam and Kelly! Just as in Possession, book 1 of the Avenues Ink series, the words transcended the page and I felt so lucky to experience this book. You don't just read this story. You feel it. You break with it. You heal with it. Although this is book 2 in the interconnected series, each book can be read as a stand alone.

Liam and Kelly were the perfect yin and yang. Sharp edges to soft curves. Day to night. Each has their own demons and baggage that have imprisoned them, whether willingly or unknowingly. They each struggle at different times to break free from their chains, but that invisible tether to each other grounds them and helps them be the person each of them strives to be. Mistakes are made and insecurities sometimes get the better of them, but it only made the push and pull between Liam and Kelly that much more emotional and intense. Yes, the angst in this book was high, but so incredibly necessary in my opinion. There were times when I was reading that I felt like I was drowning in their pain. The author has an uncanny ability to invest you in these characters and draw you in so deeply that you can't help but feel attached to them and their journey. Though there were definitely heartbreaking moments, those seeds of hope took root too and made for an incredible love story.

I loved catching up with Declan, Paige, and Kieran too! The O'Connell's may not have had a story book childhood, but their loyalty and devotion to each other is unparalleled. I'm very excited that Kieran is getting his own book, Poet, as well and can't wait to read his story! You really don't want to miss this book or series!

*I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this book*
Profile Image for Alissa.
411 reviews59 followers
April 27, 2017
I finished this book 3 weeks ago and I'm still at a loss on how to express my love for this book! I have a book hangover of epic proportions and my love for Liam is bordering on obsession (don't judge!). I met Liam in Possession, and had no idea what to expect in his story. But if there's one thing I can count on when I start a book by A.M. Johnson, it's that the story will be entirely different than the last book she wrote. And yet, somehow her writing manages to blow me away even more with each new book. Her stories are always unique and I am drawn in by the depth of the characters and the writing.

Liam, Liam, Liam...oh how I loved his story. I love him and how he's so tough on the outside but has a heart of gold and is such a Mama's boy (SWOON). This is an epic second chance romance that will shatter your heart and put it back together again. I adored the fairy tale that was woven into the story and Kingdom is no doubt one of my top reads of 2017. Read this book!!!!
Profile Image for Rebecca.
2,530 reviews40 followers
January 23, 2020
I was not a fan of Liam in book one, but I was intrigued about his book. Even though his self destructive behaviors frustrated me, I enjoyed the story. This series keeps getting better, and I can't wait for the next book.
Profile Image for Stephanie Rose.
Author 26 books2,753 followers
May 24, 2017
Possession was one of my favorite books this year, but AM Johnson knocked it out of the park and then some with Kingdom. When Liam, the eternal protector, falls in love, he loves hard. Kelly was his missing piece, his princess, and all he wanted to do was save her. Through different POVs, including a masterfully crafted fairy tale woven into the story, you feel everything. I finished in a day, unable to put it down because I loved Liam and Kelly that much. Kingdom is a beautifully written second chances love story and I am hooked on the O'Connell brothers. Can be totally be read as a standalone. 5+++ stars.
Profile Image for Michelle Taylor.
235 reviews24 followers
May 21, 2017
When I first started Kingdom I thought, “How could Johnson make Liam’s story better than Declan’s? I fucking LOVE Declan and Paige!” I didn’t think it was possible.

Boy was I wrong.

Right off the bat, I fell hard for our heroine, Kelly Kavanauh. #GirlCrush She’s a take-no-shit, outspoken, tenacious young woman. From the moment she met Liam she never backed down; always standing firm and speaking her mind. After growing up in a less than pleasant environment (abusive, alcoholic, dip-shidiot father), she wants to escape her life in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately, her escape plans are halted by Liam’s desire to be there and care for his family. She sacrificed a lot as a young woman for this man- to try and have the best of both worlds. She’s my favorite Johnson heroine to date, hands down.

“He rattled the lost hope in my own bones, and as his eyes consumed me, promising fire, it made me wish I was ugly, plain- invisible. I was a ruined package in a gilded box with silken ribbons, and I feared his disappointment more than I feared the burn of his touch.”

Liam is a commendable man; he’s always put others first before his own wants and needs. Sadly, that trait is the reason his first love left to pursue her hopes and dreams. Liam’s is alive and breathing but I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s surviving without her. He’s a smug bastard with a strong front and a helluva shield.

As sad as it was, Kelly leaving Liam was the best thing that could have happened to them. Kelly needed to get away from her poisonous past and find her true calling in life. She needed to discover who she was without the harsh words of her father hanging over her head. Getting away helped her realize that her life was worth so much more than she could ever imagine.

This book brought forth a lot of healing… Healing between Kelly and Liam as they worked to try and mend their past and healing between Liam and his brothers. It took him a long time to find that perfect balance of being the noble big brother and keeping the promises he made to Kelly so many years ago.

While Kingdom could be read as a stand-alone, I wouldn’t really recommend it. To get the full effect of the O’Connell brothers, you need to read Possession first and meet Declan and Paige. (Find out why I love them so much, ARGH!) Their story continues a bit in the book and seeing their relationship grow and thrive really warmed my heart.

This beautiful second-chance romance is engaging and captivating. These two never realized what they had with each other until they didn’t have it anymore.
Profile Image for Joy (joyousreader).
440 reviews26 followers
January 3, 2018
description

Kingdom is book #2 in the Avenues Ink Series and it's Liam O'Connel and Kelly Kavanagh's story.

Kelly and Liam come from a similar background. But differently from him, who can't leave his family, Kelly wants to escape her life and start a new one with Liam.

When the time to go arrives, she goes, but Liam stays.

Liam hates Kelly for leaving. Kelly hates herself for going. Their love is still there, waiting to soar again.

Just like Possession, Kingdom is one of those books that makes you think and feel. It's not just a romance. It means something. It teaches you something. Is love strong enough to conquer all? How to let go and just LIVE?

A.M. Johnson once again left me blubbering... because I can't just explain how amazing and touching and STRONG this story is. The O'Connell boys are incredible. Life is not easy for them but they are always together.... Seriously... This review sucks! I'm a mess here! The book is SO GOOD! Liam is so good! I hope you get it and read it and love it just like I did!
Profile Image for Coco.V.
46.4k reviews4 followers
Want to read
March 14, 2020
🎁 The complete Avenues Ink Series (3 book series) is FREE on Amazon today (3/14/2020)! 🎁
Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,683 reviews311 followers
May 10, 2017
 photo 7C85518D-DC54-4F86-A19A-BF4479707B12_zpsfkyeivzm.jpg

This story was beautiful and amazing! A second chance romance that was a bit of a dark fairytale. Fate, undeniable connections, tragedy, and all that jazz. The writing is absolutely poetic. There is a story within this story, and it is so good! I feel like it could be expanded and made into it's own little series. I'd read it.

Kelly is a young girl who comes from bad circumstances. She thinks that all she has going for her is her beauty. Why? Because that's what she has been told.

photo 01C54282-A3BE-445C-B26B-5803A0D37C51_zpsyfpaeyrc.jpg

Liam is a young man who comes from bad circumstances. He had to grow up way too quickly, and had to take on responsibilities that were pretty dang heavy.

These two come together unexpectedly. Even though they don't look like a perfect match, they find out that they are, and in more ways than one! Fairytale characters come to life. That's how I see Liam and Kelly. Their story isn't easy, or simple, but it's full of emotion and feeling.

photo 38F13497-0A59-4DBE-98DE-0FDFFF3A6E1A_zps021kqupq.jpg

I'd love to gush and tell you every detail I loved, but that would spoil it all. I'd DEFINITELY read this book if I were you. It's a modern spin on a fairytale. Finding the one you know you're meant to spend forever with, but not having the easiest path to that forever!

AM Johnson did a FABULOUS job with this one, and I can't wait to see what comes next in book three!

photo 6523C4D3-56F2-4908-8ABE-4536EABFF20C_zpscdujyxq8.jpg
Profile Image for Grey.
448 reviews41 followers
June 1, 2017
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. Ms. Johnson was a new-to-me author, but I was intrigued by the blurb. Her words and the back story captivated me. The use of The Painted Prince... how poignant and eerily poetic the dark fairytale was for the main characters in this story.

You all know, I don't do spoilers. So, I will just tell you, this story kept my attention. Even though it is listed as #2 in the series, I didn't read #1 and although it talked about the characters from the first book, I did just fine. This is about a new couple. It is rather dark in spots, but I like the dark, LOL!

Kingdom is really well written... the way it pulled at my heartstrings in spots and downright shivved me in others, yeah.... it was good! *giggle*

May 24, 2017
*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review*

5 "Tell me your name" Stars!!!!!

Alright, *deep breath* let it out. My mind is all jumbled and my emotions are all over the place, so forgive me. This book, whoa, this book. *shakes head* I wish, man I can't even form coherent sentences right now. Just thinking about this story and the characters is bringing tears to my eyes and I can't think straight. But, as I was saying, I wish I had the perfect words, because this book deserves that and much more. AM knows how to tug at your heartstrings, and damn did she ever do that. There were times when I couldn't catch my breath and my heart was in my throat. Did I like it? Heck no! But I freakin' welcomed it because it made me feel the exact same thing that Liam and Kelly were feeling. Oh boy Liam and Kelly, my gosh these two, I mean WOW!

Ever since 'Possession' I wanted and needed to know Liam's story. Never did I expect it to be what it was. And let me tell you, it was EVERY! THING! I guarantee you will feel every emotion that Liam is feeling. You will ache and feel rage and you'll want to break things and you'll shed tears, I promise you, you will cry. Liam, Liam, Liam ugh he makes my heart flutter. I don't have enough words inside me to articulate the beauty that is Liam. The way in which he loves is masterful. I could go on and on, but I'll keep things to myself because you deserve to experience Liam in all his imperfectness.

"It was careless to want her. Her shattered edges matched mine. I’d never be able to give her the freedom she wanted."

Liam and Kelly were two characters that clawed and fought with all their might to try and change and reach towards a future they so desperately craved and wanted. Their bond was indestructible, their souls were made for each other. These two will take you on such an emotional ride, that you'll want to pullover and catch your breath a few times. Whatever you do though, don't jump off. Stick through it, Liam and Kelly are so worth it.

"My night had always needed his sun. Liam was mine. We were sewn together, heart and soul, patched up with steel thread and leather patches."

I seriously cannot recommend this book enough. Go on a journey with Liam and Kelly, let them guide you and show you what it means to love with all your heart. And while you're at it, if you haven't read 'Possession' yet, do yourself a favor and read that book first. You need to meet Declan and Paige, their story is just as important. And I can't wait for Kieran's book! That man is such a mystery and I need to know his story.

AM, I applaud the amazingness that you are. The brilliance in which you write takes my breath away. Your words seep into my skin and make a home in my heart. Thank you for giving us these stories and these larger-than-life characters. Liam and Kelly will hold a place in my heart, they won't be forgotten. And I CAN'T WAIT for 'Poet' oh my gosh that sample was not enough though. But I'll wait patiently, maybe.
Profile Image for French Press Bookworm Blog.
774 reviews7 followers
May 29, 2017
I didn't love this one like I did the first. The way it was written was at times confusing. And while I get these two were a mess from the start I wish I got more of them together that what was in the book. They were so sweetly broken is the only way to paint them. I wanted way more of the sweet but felt like the broken bits took up most of the book. I'm really hoping poet isn't like that. Overall I enjoyed it but didn't love it this go around

3.5-4 stars
Profile Image for Jamie.
329 reviews
November 5, 2017
"Love and hate—you’d never be able to understand what each word meant without the other."

Where Declans story was more of I quite strength, Liams was that bold strength. The leader, the hot head. And the way A.M. Johnson told his story was so passionate and full of love. I thought I knew Kelly in the first book but how wrong was I?! I had her pegged all wrong. Her story is powerful and strong. I love how her and Liams jagged pieces fit together.

"...he’s my dark knight, my painted prince."

This book is written beautifully and a must read in the 'Avenues Ink series'.
Profile Image for Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite.
1,150 reviews296 followers
Read
May 7, 2017
"... he would never be a Prince Charming on a white horse." But he was perfect. PERFECT ♥.

Review to follow!
Profile Image for BexLOVESBooks.
201 reviews48 followers
May 24, 2017
My gosh you guys this book was SO beautiful.

The writing was out of this world perfection. If you haven't read POSSESSION, well, READ IT, but know that you don't have to read it to enjoy this phenomenal book.

The story reads as a fairy tale, and woven in to the plot is so much unrelenting passion and emotion.

I felt this book cover to cover and I didn't want to put it down, didn't want it to end, however the ending could not have been more perfect.

AM Johnson has a reader for life right here. xx
Profile Image for Indica Reads.
73 reviews5 followers
July 23, 2017
If you thought that Possession was as good as it can get.
you are WRONG.
Did I cry? Fuck yes!
Liam has this bad ass look but he is quite the opposite from the inside, He and Kelly made mistakes, and fixed them in their own twisted ways, AGAIN A.M. didn't fail me at all, this was just another masterpiece that was written by her, words too strong and characters even stronger.
I really, truly can't put it in to words all I can say is..
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS BOOK.
and please release the third book ASAP, your girl is dying over here.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,577 reviews1,228 followers
May 28, 2017
***AVAILABLE NOW - FULL REVIEW***

4 Fairy-tale CROWNS

As with all of A.M. Johnson's novels. Kingdom is beautifully written story that intertwines the past, the present, and a fairy-tale that connects Liam and Kelly from the time they are young. The artistry behind this story, and all of her stories, is what keeps me coming back as a reader.

Liam is a very serious man, forced into growing up much sooner than he should have in order to take care of his family. As a result, he is forced to put his dreams on hold, and he loses at least a part of his happily-ever-after. This loss has left him emotionally detached from any romantic relationship, only pursuing physical gratification. Once he comes back into contact with Kelly, readers get to see a different side to this emotionally closed off man. They get to see the fire burning inside of him, and he really develops as a character once he gets his Princess back. Kelly, like Liam, has also come from a bad home, and from the time she was little, she longed to flee her cage. Even when she is given her freedom, she isn't really and slowly begins to wither in a different cage. In order to save herself, she runs from the only man she has loved, and while she has found success, her life is shallow, all glitter on the outside and devoid of anything real on the inside. Also like Liam, when she returns to her home, the two of them find everything they were looking for, and the King and Queen take their place within their Kingdom, finding a world filled with happiness, love, and fulfillment, finally beating their demons.

This story is told through three different avenues. There are chapters written in the past, written in the present, and written in relation to the fairy tale. Each part of the story fills in the holes of the story, giving the reader a complete tale of loss and love. Like most A.M. Johnson stories, though, this is more than a romantic love story. It is one that focuses on finding happiness and fulfillment for yourself, about losing people who you love, and about family support and belief. Only once these characters have found all three do they get their fairy-tale ending.

A.M. Johnson continues to write fantastic stories. As always, I am blown away at her talent, the way she develops complex and broken characters, and intricate plot lines, and I have no idea the final brother's book will be just as phenomenal.
---------------
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews and other book news, check out Musings of the Modern Belle at www.modernbellebooks.com.
Profile Image for LizLovesBooks .
508 reviews
5 "Once Upon a Time" ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kelly & Liams story was so beautiful, I was excited going in to Kingdom, after meeting Liam in Possession I knew I just HAD to read his story.

photo Instasize_0529172105_zpse7dvpkdb.jpg

Kelly. I loved Kelly, she knew where she wanted to be, even though Liam didn't like it. I think she 100% made the right decision, it just wasn't their time yet. She had to make that decision because Liam couldn't. His life was with his brothers and mother. He had a business to run, it couldn't fail, because then he'd have failed his family.

photo PicsArt_05-29-04.56.43_zpssl9spzbt.jpg

Liam. He was hotheaded at times, he made decisions not for himself, but his family. He was selfless, lovable and loyal. He couldn't be what Kelly needed, not right now. And one drunken night made it clear to Kelly she had to do what was best for her.

Events happen that lead Kelly & Liam to meet again 3 year's later, both in better places, both with other people, but the pull is there, and no one could deny their chemistry.

I loved Kingdom, it felt seamless, the story didn't struggle, the characters were strong, and it kept my attention. I'm really excited for Poet!.

#IAmYourKing
#IAmYourQueen

* ARC given to me by the author...thanking you kindly!.
* Teasers made with purchased pics.
Profile Image for Tina H.
271 reviews37 followers
May 31, 2017
A.M Johnson does it again!! I LOVE Liam!! I am not saying that I love him more than his bother Declan, because Declan will always have a very special place in my heart. But ever since Possession I wanted to know Liam’s story and now that I do I love him even more.

Liam has such a beautiful soul and the description of him that I am about to attempt will not do him any justice! Liam is passionate and strong but, is so damn tough and hard when it comes to the world. Yet he loves with all that he has to give, he is so vulnerable and soft when it comes to his brothers, mother and Kelly! And then Kelly left...

"I fell for the fairytale she 'd offered me. She was supposed to be my Queen, and it didn't matter how many years I was lucky enough to have her, she was never really mine. She belonged to something greater, something more than to a prince of a crumbling kingdom."

Kelly was a girl who comes from a bad home who wanted to escape and she wanted Liam to come with her. But when the time came he couldn’t leave his family so she went without him. She left him broken and angry but in the end it was the best thing for them because when they come back together all of their shattered pieces were finally in place.

description

Your heart will ache, you will feel pain, you will feel rage and you will feel love.

This is my favorite fairytale….the Painted Prince finally gets his Queen!

description

I can't wait for Poet!! I know Kieran's story will be beautiful!
Profile Image for Lauren.
1,368 reviews22 followers
May 11, 2021
Good second chance romance. I loved the family loyalty with the brothers and how they worked hard to overcome a difficult childhood
Profile Image for MyMy (PunchDrunkLibrary).
273 reviews14 followers
May 16, 2017
PDL's Rating: 4.5 ' Kingdom' Punches (Really Liked)

Kingdom, I am not even sure how to express my feelings for this beautifully, heart-wrenching book. This author’s writing is stealing my heart more and more as each book is released. I eat up her words the way I eat up dessert after a few months of deprivation!

Liam was introduced in the first book of this series and I already felt so much then, but in Kingdom – to truly see him in his world. Gosh, his story devastates me. To know the love he has for family and what we see as sacrifices he had made (even though that will never be how he sees or feels it as) only strengthen your love for him all the more.

If you are looking for a second chance romance that goes through a storm before you see the rainbow, Kingdom is it. I highly recommend reading this series in order, for one – you will be able to get the full Liam effect. Secondly, you simply cannot skip Possession because that book truly sucked the life out of me in the best way possible – LOL.
Profile Image for J.A. DeRouen.
Author 10 books1,309 followers
May 25, 2017
Once again, A.M. Johnson has blown me away with her beautiful storytelling and lyrical prose. She has a way of sucking me in from the very first page and never letting go. She wove an intricate web of love, loss, and sacrifice that had me gripping my heart as I read.
My favorite line:
“My night had always needed his sun. Liam was mine, we were sewn together, heart and soul, patched up with steel thread and leather patches.”

Kingdom was my first 6 star read of the year and I have no doubt will be one of my top favorite reads of 2017.
Profile Image for Heather C.
626 reviews18 followers
May 25, 2017
First of all, Kingdom can be read as a standalone. It is book 2 in the Avenue Ink series but it can be read as a standalone and you won't feel like you are missing anything. With that being said, I was excited to get Liam's story. When I first met him in Possession, I knew I wanted to know more about him.

Liam met Kelly when he was just nineteen years old. There was something about her that just pulled to him and their pasts connected them together. They both had very rough and very similar childhoods that left them begging for a better future. Circumstances end up separating them after many years together and we are left with two very broken people who are still madly in love with each other.

I liked the idea that a story told to both Liam and Kelly by their mother's is the main reason they bonded and ended up together in the first place.

Kingdom is a second chance story that has Liam and Kelly fighting their way back to each other. While I enjoyed the story and I was anxious to get to know more about them, I had a heard time connecting to them together. If had felt that passion a bit more, I think I would have given it a 5 stars. But for some reason, it fell slightly short for me. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed it, I was just missing that full connection.

Overall, this is a wonderful second chance story that is raw and honest. Two people who are in love with each other and fighting their way back. If you like a little angst and a raw story, then this is the book for you. I really enjoy A.M. Johnson's writing style and I can't wait to see what Kieran's story has in store for us!

*ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Cat Imb || The Reading Cat ||.
416 reviews35 followers
May 26, 2017
I received an ARC of this book from the author via Sassy Savvy Fabulous PR in exchange for an honest review. Thank you AM Johnson and Sassy Savvy Fabulous PR!

I want to start off by saying that I wasn't a huge fan of Possession, and that I was a little on the fence about this book. I was wondering if I was going to like it since the first one hadn't spoken to me. Let me tell you that that fence is destroyed. I loved this book!

I really liked the constant parallel with the children's story throughout. The pushing of that intertextuality really added depth and meaning to the novel. Although it was present throughout the book, the references never felt repetitive and overused; such great skillful writing.

I loved both the main characters in this book. They both had touching stories, and a struggle to find balance in their lives. That struggle was extremely well portrayed, and that allowed for the characters to come to life and give the story "realness". Kelly and Liam are such beautiful broken people, that fix each other by being together, and that's beautiful to read.

Overall, an amazing book! Loved it from the first word to the word "end".

Displaying 1 - 30 of 167 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.