Start by marking “The Clouds Above” as Want to Read:
The Clouds Above

The Clouds Above

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  583 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
This gorgeously packaged (yet affordable) children's fantasy has become an instant classic since its original hardcover release in 2005, as well as a perennial bestseller for Fantagraphics in three hardcover printings. This paperback edition includes five new pages not included previously.

Published April 17th 2008 by Fantagraphics (first published March 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Clouds Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clouds Above

First Second Books
One of my favorite graphic novels – and an absolute joy to reread.

(The cat’s so awesome!)
Dov Zeller
Beautifully illustrated book, one square framed panel per page except for a few full-page illustrations. Because the main character is named Jack and because he ascends a strange staircase into the sky I saw this as a contemporary retelling of Jack and the Giant Beanstalk.

All-in-all a little adventure for Jack and his cat and a nice rain cloud. The adventure is not terribly satisfying though visually appealing. And the framing gives it a little more of a sense of narrative fullness.

Framing = J
Katie Walton
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love this book so much. The story is completely engaging and the illustrations are just darling. This is a must read in my book. I have promised myself that I will buy a copy if I ever pass it on the shelves.
Eric Orchard
Pretty much a perfect comic for kids. Amazing art and narrative. It really shows the diversity of work published by Fanagraphics and the quality of their books right across the board.Jordan Crane's art is stunning, it totally charms you from the first page.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
I found this book at just the right time...lighthearted yet with filled with deeper concepts of friendship - a great read for an overcast day.
Dani Shuping
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I don’t remember where I first came across this book, but something about the description intrigued me. A young boy and his cat that skip school one day and climb a staircase to have adventures in the cloud…something about that just sounded magical and it went on my list of books to read at some point. I now wish that I had read it sooner, because it’s quickly become one of my favorite books that I’ve read this year with its fantastic illustrations and the absolutely charming story.

Simon and his
L13_Allison Safran
For our graphic novel study, I chose to read The Clouds Above by Jordan Crane. This book was published in 2005. The book is appealing from the beginning because it is rather small. It reminded me of a board book in its size. Additionally, the outside of the book is pink with fluffy clouds. I found the book interesting because I have seen many graphic novels before that are black or gray and have many more action or comic like figures on the front. This book cover was a refreshing change of pace ...more
Sayeh
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ughhhh i just luved this book when i first got it at the library!! I read it over 15 times! It was a graphic novel so i finished that 15 times in 2 days! I just was looking at graphic novels and thought of this!
Gala
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally beautiful and funny and clever. I picked this up at a show of Jordan Crane's work at Fantagraphics, Seattle. If you live in Seattle, and like graphic novel/ alternative comics, you should duck into this place.
Megan
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought it was lame that the clouds were pink...then I saw the awesome storm clouds. Creepy and worth the annoying pink.
Grace
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a precious book with great illustrations.
Erin
Simple and short and strange.
Maggie
CIP: "Simon and his cat Jack take a shortcut to school that leads them on a series of adventures in the clouds, where they discover a fantastical world that is both far away and right around the corner."

Maggie: A cute story that follows a young boy, Simon, and his cat Jack in their otherworldly misadventures that occur when trying to escape punishment from his elementary school teacher. The illustrations are fun and clear, and I liked that there was only one per page, which makes following the s
S.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Clouds Above borrows its foundations from the famous story popularised by Joseph Jacobs, Jack and the Beanstalk. But it quickly branches into a fresh and exciting adventure that doesn’t resemble the English fairy-tale. Simon and his talking cat, Jack, discover an ascending staircase on the roof of Simon’s school that takes them to the skies. There they come upon a tearful cloud named Perch and teach him to fly. Together, the three embark on a mission to find the migrating birds, but they’re ...more
lucy  black
Lucy Longstocking review http://www.wcl.govt.nz/blogs/kids/ind...

My favourite weather is mist. My second favourite weather is rain. It has been very rainy in Wellington recently. I love it.

Have you ever heard people say that rain is the clouds crying? My sister used to say that, and this book proves she was right.

“The Clouds Above” is a graphic-novel with wonderful pictures that recounts “the terribly terrific and tremendously true travels of Simon and Jack”. Simon is a boy with a wicked teacher
Chelsea
1 graphic novel appropriate for grades K-6th
Crane, Jordan. The Clouds Above. Seattle, WA: Fantagraphics Books, 2005. Print. 216 p.

An adventure begins when Simon is late for school again. Instead of facing his “old crow” teacher, Missus Poe, he and his fat cat Jack hide out on the rooftop of the school building. Soon, they discover a door that leads to a stairway. Curiosity gets the better of them and they head up the stairs. Simon and Jack encounter birds, fluffy pink clouds and soon meet Perc
Matt Graupman
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love poutine. For those who don't know, poutine is a Canadian dish consisting of French fries and cheese curds smothered in gravy. It's three awesome things that are combined into something even better. Jordan Crane's "The Clouds Above" is comics poutine. Combing elements of a picture book, an experimental stream-of-consciousness comic, and poetry, the book is a wholly unique - and delicious - read.

By far the most striking part of "The Clouds Above" is the gorgeous artwork. Crane devotes a sin
Angie
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Synopsis: "The Clouds Above is a rip-roaring adventure about a kid named Simon, who skips school one day with his cat, Jack. They climb a magic staircase leading skyward, encounter a sad cloud named Perch and get mixed up in a conflict involving him, some nasty storm clouds and an irritable flock of birds. Will they make back home safely in time for school tomorrow?"

My Review: This was a spur of the moment purchase, and it was cute. It would be a great intro to graphic novels for someone who wan
Bryan Rountree
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Jordan Crane since I first encountered his work in the Kramer's Ergot 5 anthology. Against the alternative/experimental comic book visual context of a lot of Gary Panter protégés (for better and worse) both Jordan and K.E. editor Sammy Harkham's clean-line styles stand out for being perhaps more "cartoonishly" traditional. His instantly recognizable draftsmanship and vignette form of storytelling, however, have me hooked.

I am more familiar with his more disaffected and nihil
sweet pea
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book has fantastic illustrations reminiscent of old-timey comics, with an updated colorful feel. the plot also manages to be both novel and evocative of earlier works, like james and the giant peach. the first and last parts of the book are especially exceptional. the first, for the amazing stairs. the last, because it reminds me greatly of a ridiculous teacher i had who would cower with her fingers in her ears whenever a bee was in the room. apparently, she had heard a story of someone bei ...more
Johnny
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Unbearably cute and beautifully drawn. At first, I felt the pacing was off, as it seemed a bit rushed. The more I fell into it, I found the frenzy let me slip into that scared-but-excited child's daydream mindset, where you keep climbing the stairs to nowhere but don't really know why becuase you're pretty certain you're going to fall off but oh look birds what is this a cloud we're definitely going to fall off and die soon. Very Adventure Time-ish, but with a little more acoustic guitar, if you ...more
Valerie
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim, Sarah
The Clouds Above is a charming and imaginative graphic novel for the younger set (I'd guess in the 5- to 8-year-old range). I found it while browsing at the library yesterday and was so taken with it that I took it home and read it the same night. The illustrations and story line are really engaging as a young boy and his very long-tailed cat skip school and find a stairway leading up to the clouds, escaping his spirit-crushing teacher and going on an adventure in the sky.

I loved every panel of
Tricia
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
What a fun, strange, and beautifully drawn and colored children's book. The premise is pretty simple - Simon's late for school and doesn't want to get scolded by his teacher. So he and his sidekick cat Simon avoid class by climbing a staircase into the sky (we've all done that in our youth, right?). My favorite part is when they are getting pretty high up, and the existential dialogue goes, "I'm feeling lightheaded"/"Mebbie we're turning into clouds."/"Do we still exist?"/"I'm starting to wonder ...more
Tyler
Felt like a hip cartoon at times, especially due to the brisk pacing; but I was most reminded of Roald Dahl, not just because (like James and the Giant Peach) much of the story takes place in the air and includes flocks of birds, but because of the feeling of anarchic strangeness, of clever kids triumphing over pitiful, sniveling adults.
T.V and Book Addict
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Really cute! Very similar to Calvin and Hobbs which I adore. Quite fun, but sadly much too short. Simon and Jack's relationship is not as fully developed as I hoped, but it still managed to be a bit heartwarming. The illustrations were cute and fun. Reminded me of the wacky, but irresistibly fun animation in Adventure Time (Adult Swim T.V show). This book's a keeper that I will share with the kiddies. :)
Sri
Buku fantasi yang cocok untuk anak-anak. Ada sekolah yang tidak menyenangkan karena gurunya tidak menyenangkan. Ada kucing yang marah karena disebut anjing. Ada tangga ke langit, ke awan. Ada awan yang menangis karena cemburu pada burung yang bisa terbang. Ada burung-burung yang balas dendam dengan cara membawa si anak dan si kucing yang bukan anjing itu kembali ke kelas. Ternyata guru galak takut burung. Seisi kelas riuh rendah menirukan suara burung. Yay!
Ashley D--
A picture-a-page kind of comic that tells the story about a boy who climbs a set of stairs into the clouds with his cat instead of enduring the wrath of his cranky schoolteacher. One of those stories where a lot of mild, fantastical events happen in a short span of time, without any particular attention to character development or lessons. Just a lovely gentle read with enough weirdness and humour to make you smile as you read.
Earline
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like pink clouds
Shelves: comics, pretty
I picked up this book because I thought it was adorable. Apparently I think small square books, pink clouds, cats with extra long tails, and giant flocks of angsty birds are super cute. Although the story didn't really win me over I really loved the art. If Jordan Crane teamed up with James Kochalka they would create the most unbearably cute book ever.
Heath
Dec 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely fun, linear, humorous fantasy in which a boy and his cat go off the beaten path on their way to school only to befriend a cloud, anger the birds, and have a series of adventures. More fantastic than much of Jordan's work, and his line seems to have sharpened. The colors are glorious. Good for children of all ages.
Stef
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute quick read. I wasn't sure what to really expect with this one as it began and I started the first part of book with doubts, but I came to appreciate the dialogue and the story's imaginative quality, as well as the introduction of "waterautumn" to my vocabulary.
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • Sshhhh!
  • Curses
  • Girl Stories
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 2
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade