Start by marking “Letting Go” as Want to Read:
Letting Go

Letting Go

Three out of three Readers' Favorites reviewers gave LETTING GO five stars. Louise Caiola, USA Today Bestselling Author of The Making of Nebraska Brown, called LETTING GO "a smart and sexy story that captures the raw essence of love. Heartfelt, haunting, tender, tough and true."

Even though she lives hundreds of miles away, when Langston, who dreams of being a chef, meets
Published July 4th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letting Go

Start your review of Letting Go
Cathy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, literary
Find all my book reviews, plus fascinating author interviews, exclusive guest posts and book extracts, on my blog: https://whatcathyreadnext.wordpress.com/

In Letting Go, the reader follows the lives of two young people, Cecile and Langston. In separate story lines that converge at points, we see them navigate life, love and career over a period of more than twenty years. The author’s supreme achievement is to make Cecile and Langston seem so real that the reader cannot help feeling completely in
Esther
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've been skipping between 3 and 4 stars for a while, maybe I'll give this one 3 and a half. I usually don't do halves but I can't choose right now!
I'm not even sure yet while I post this, but maybe my choice gets clearer while I write this!

This review was first posted on BiteIntoBooks Blog

Pros
Believable story: This story felt like it could have been based on a true story (which it maybe is in some pa
Jacques Coulardeau
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I thought it was a romance with a slightly erotic dimension and I found out fast that I was wrong. So what is it?

Some might say it is a black romance. But apart from a few characters, the two main ones particularly, being black, there is little black culture or language in this book. True enough, they are West Indians, and then what? The language and the culture are not West Indian. A few anecdotic references but nothing else. But will you say they are living in Canada and for some of t
Amanda
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters in this book. I enjoyed the variety of Black people (African Americans, West Indians, Afro-Canadians) that populate this novel. How refreshing to encounter complex people who deal with racism and nonetheless dream beyond the limits of what's realistic. Unlike a lot of prime time television, Letting Go's characters defy stereotypes and earn your trust as a reader.

This is a classic novel that reminded of "Quicksand" by Nella Larsen, a Harlem Renaissance writer. In "Quicksan
Romi || Romi Reads
Although Letting Go is a novel of more than 500 pages, not a lot of major importance happened. That’s my humble opinion. There were not many events that were drastic for the plot. The only one that had me drop my jaw to the floor was narrated after it had already happened and Cecile, the one it was about, didn’t make it seem like a big deal.

Now that I’m talking about Cecile – I didn’t really like her character. The 500+ pages of the book were mainly filled with Cecile not knowing what’s good for
Lennox Randon
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The author has crafted something special, and fairly epic, with LETTING GO.
I could relate to the flawed characters, and to their growth process. However, what truly makes the characters stand out is the fact that I’ve never seen seen these characters before. I felt like I was getting to meet real people and not the average sketches of people who normally populate novels.
As a music lover, I loved the music references throughout. The inside look at Juilliard was particularly fascinating.
The writin
Marisa Mitchell
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book depicting young love. I think everyone could relate to such a beautiful story. Corley does an excellent job keeping you engaged and allowing you to fall in love with the characters.
Angela
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of interviewing Maria earlier in the year for a post on my blog. As a result of that interview, Maria sent me a free copy of her story in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Letting Go is essentially a romance – which is not my usual choice of book to read. However, I’m always open to reading outside my preferred genres. The story is primarily told from Cecile’s point of view, the female lead character. I really liked her. She’s driven, ambitious, and where her feelings are
J.L. Smith
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure and privilege of partaking of this amazing story in which I remained invested to the very end of the story. I was jumpy and excited throughout the story. I finished this morning and I'm still coming down from the high. So, with that being said, here goes...

I've been waiting for a love story like this, a tale that actually reflects the world and how it diverse it truly is, a work which illustrates how the relationships often really operate. More often than not, both parties, mu
Stacey
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Letting Go is a story of self-discovery told through the eyes of the main character Cecile through diary entries, letter correspondence and dialogue. It is a unique love story. The story spans decades from teenage years through middle adulthood and as the reader, we are privy to Cecile's inside thoughts and experiences through detailed diary entries. I found this writing style intriguing as well as a fantastic way to continue to move the story along such a substantial time frame.

The story begins
Nadja
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Note: A review galley of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Now with this book I honestly had my ups and downs.

At first it looked promising to me regarding women's rights and maybe diving into the racial discrimination topic. As much potential I saw there it didn't happen at all. It was roughly mentioned but we didn't really saw it becoming a topic in this book which I personally found disappointing.

The whole Teddy and Cecile storyline was not really enjoyable
Leila Tualla
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in parts of Canada that I will never visit, and part of New York that I can only dream of, this book, along with the 'will they/won't they' story line, this story is already wonderful. I love the humor, the wit, the charm of both Langston and Cecile. I could feel the energy emanating from the pages when they first met.

The thing that I will always gravitate to are stories with faith in its pages, and people that we may never relate to but they have the same testimonies and fears as us.
There
TDCbookreviews
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Letting Go by Maria Thompson Corley

Genre: Romance

About the book: Boy meets girl. There are sparks and those sparks turn into a deeper connection. But complications turn up at every angle. Can they make it work?

Review: This story draws you in and you begin to feel a connection with the characters who seem so life-like. The story was straightforward but also kept you on your toes. I appreciated that it was written in a mashup of different styles which made for a more pleasant read.

Author Page/Webs
Linda Brendle
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Letting Go was a pleasure to read, from the great opening that draws the reader into the story immediately to the last page that leaves you smiling with satisfaction but still wanting more. Corley weaves together the lives of several young adults as they learn to deal with the conflicts between the expectations of their families and of society with their dreams and their ambitions. The story, however, focuses on Cecile who struggles when the morality she learned at home is at odds with her own d ...more
Janet
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Certain scenes from this novel linger in my mind. With a sad marriage and a difficult love story at its heart, it moves through the life of its main character with sympathy and depth. The author refuses to neatly tie up the plot, and the ending defies expectations but is even more satisfying because of that.
Kyleigh
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this book A LOT more than I expected to. It's not only a sweet slow burn romance, but it's hilarious and eye opening to cultures other than my own.
I would highly recommend this to those who love romance novels or those who are looking for a book with diverse characters.
Craig T
Dec 06, 2017
Maria Corley
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Anthony
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Letting Go: A Novel by Maria Thompson Corley Review

Rarely does a book capture the mind and heart in such a griping fashion as it does in Maria Thompson Corley's Letting Go: A Novel. A book filled
with tragedy, heartbreak, passion and hope, this wonderful novel explores themes of racism, drug abuse, toxic relationships and how the events
of our childhood can shape who we are as people. Here is the official synopsis:

Stuart Aken
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The characters in this lengthy romance lead full and interesting lives. They’re an ethnically diverse group with a couple of the lead protagonists being West Indian. The narrative is set largely in New York and Canada and there are cultural references to these two countries that mean little to a UK reader who’s never visited those lands, but that’s not at all unusual.
It took me a long time to read this book, partly because I was engaged for much of the time in editing my own novel and used this
Books Laid Bare
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this was more than I was anticipating and slightly more of a directive than I thought, what I can’t deny is the fact that as far as a body of work goes this is as good as any I have read in a very long time.
The story revolves around Cecile, an immensely talented woman, studying in the primarily white domain that is the Classical piano program at the world-famous Juilliard. Now this is no place for someone with little expectation, and Cecile certainly doesn’t lack in either talent or as
Kitty Igaz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
First I loved the musician aspect! You don’t come across many books, at I least I haven’t, about classically trained musicians. The author was even kind enough to provide self recorded pieces that correlated with the story! An awesome treat for an ex musician. I enjoyed the parts about Julliard, the practice rooms in particular. I know how competitive the pianists were, they also had the best practice rooms at my school, and I remember the long hours spent in little boxes praying to get better w ...more
Chelsi Lynn
Eric
Feb 13, 2017
Julie
Mar 04, 2017
Maria Thompson Corley is a Canadian pianist (MM, DMA, The Juilliard School) of Jamaican and Bermudian descent, with experience as a college professor, private piano instructor, composer, arranger and voice actor. She has contributed to Broad Street Review since 2008, and also blogs for Huffington Post. Her first novel, Choices, was published by Kensington. Her latest novel, Letting Go, was publish ...more

News & Interviews