Start by marking “101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions” as Want to Read:
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  443 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Explains how to prepare for a job interview, suggests ways to answer frequently asked questions, and lists the rights of the interviewee.
Published January 1st 1995 by Career Press (first published 1991)

Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend of mine while we were talking about internships, job applications, and that sort of general process. I bought it in November but haven’t really had the time to devote to it (I saw some worksheets and figured it was more of a “dedicate-some-time-to-this” book). Today, I decided to finally pick it up and flip through it and BOY am I glad I did.

Whether you’re a recent college graduate, a post-graduate student, or already established in a career, the prosp
Justin Tapp
I read this book in prepping for an interview, but it is good to read it even if you're just updating your resume/CV. That particular interview was mostly a behavioral interview, where you are told to explain specific times you displayed attributes like composure, initiative, etc. There was also a hypothetical situation component, where you were given a scenario or problem and asked to explain what you would do, how you would solve it. 101 Great Answers covers those types of interviews pretty we ...more
Jan 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you do, don't be yourself! Just tell them what they want to hear! Use the word "challenge" in every sentence! Answer every question with meaningless bullshit, and always remember: what's good for the company is good for you! Productivity for all!

There's also a typo in the section on how to discuss your weaknesses. HOW FITTING.
Appears to be a very popular book. Practical advice. Very useful book.
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I understand that this book was originally published 2 decades ago, but I still found it really helpful in preparation for an interview. Not only does it help you formulate a good response to a question, but it also highlights what you SHOULD NOT do. The book seems to be more oriented to people who are more experienced in a job field or that are going in for a more leadership kind of role, but I still found the book to be really helpful going into an entry level job.

It also discusses good quest
Jessica Ricchio
I think this is a good book to read for a broad introduction to interviewing. I had an early 90s edition, so some of the information is obsolete or illegal to ask. I do wish it was more focused on my industry, because a lot of the questions I'll likely be asked aren't even close to the examples given in this book. However this booking also made me more nervous; I'm not going to be even close to as eloquent with my answers as the examples given, partly because I don't have much experience with in ...more
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, self-help
Récemment, j'ai lu quelques livres à ce sujet - c'est-à-dire, au sujet des questions d'entrevue - parce que j'étudie la langue et que le langage qu'on utilise dans ce type de livres est plus ou moins utiles. Parmi tous ces livres, celui-ci est le meilleur que j'aie lu. Les conseils sont hyper-bons et j'aimais la structure des phrases aussi. Cet auteur est intelligent et, bien sûr, un expert.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: instruction
Excellent questions, wonderful analysis.
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great practical responses to interview questions and definitely helped me to think about the implications behind possible replies that I would have not otherwise known I was making. It definitely helped me to think about my responses differently and I think better with respect to interview performance.
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The book, 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions by Ron Fry is packed with questions and tips to help you get through difficult and tricky questions while on an interview.
This book will inform you the right way to go into the interview, how to get the person asking the questions to feel you are a perfect fit for this job. Also, helpful ideas on what to leave out of the conversation while going through the interview. Oddly, I never thought about the wrong information when it comes
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book right after graduation with the hopes of one day mastering the toughest interview questions, but at 21 years old, I got bored after the 2nd chapter and placed the book on my shelf to collect dust.

Although I was lucky enough to get a job right out of college with little to no help from this book, that wasn't the case seven years later. After bombing my first interview I immediately ran home and dusted off the cobwebs.

How it worked for me?

"So, tell me about yourself?" Althoug
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Solid book as ever (I've read at least one earlier edition), though I wish some of the explanations and sample answers went into more depth. The author also usually provides a few examples of variations on a question (e.g. "What's the last book you read?" is, in essence, the same question--or at least, looking to reveal the same kind of info-- as "what's the last movie you saw?"), but there were a few instances where I thought some of the variations differed enough to have warranted some explana ...more
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pop Sugar’s 2017 Reading Challenge - A book with career advice
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book really helped me prepare for interviewing. It's organized in a very helpful way that allows you to quickly identify which sorts of questions will most likely apply to you. It also gives examples of "no, no, no!" types of answers in addition to the sorts of things that interviewers want to hear. At the same time, I like the way it emphasizes the humanity of the person who has to do the interview--which is to say that they might be just as worried about making a mistake in hiring as you ...more
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a nice, short, compendium of the sort of questions likely to come up during a job interview for a higher level, sales-oriented positions. The first chapter, about brainstorming a list of your useful experience and attributes, is more generally applicable, and even provides a bit of an ego boost. The answers that are supplied have a certain artificial, cookie-cutter quality, but the questions in chapters 3, 5, and 8 are common ones so it is helpful to have answers prepared for them, even ...more
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent discussion of many questions I've gotten before in interviews and ones that could very well pop up. It comes from the viewpoint of someone who has interviewed many candidates for jobs. Most of the discussions in the book are geared towards those in sales, marketing, editing, and management type positions. Almost all of it still pertains to those in technical fields, but it has some major holes that you will need to fill in on your own if you're going into engineering, progra ...more
David Manning
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"101 Great Answers..." was highly recommended to me by a lifelong recruiter. This is not a gimmicky book, it is an excellent resource-- even for those who interview comfortably and confidently. In today's job market especially, you can't be over prepared for any interview scenario. This book is concisely written with red light / green light approaches to potential answers (say this, not that), and does a terrific job explaining complex interview strategies with a touch of humor.
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good; it gives good advice and specific examples of things to say. It's easily adaptable from a business point of view to something useful to a librarian. What I especially liked was that every question posted had an answer section that detailed what the interview wants to hear and how to give them this information. It pointed out many things I had never considered.

I had to tear through this book pretty quickly. ;)
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, business
Pretty good tool to get you thinking about the types of questions you will be asked in an interview. It does not give you exactly what to say but what the interviewer wants to hear when they ask a question and what to avoid. This definitely helped me prepare for my interview. Waiting now to see if I got the job and feeling really good about it.
Amanda Jaczkowski
Definitely a great read for anyone looking for interviews in the short future. Ron Fry takes you through different styles of interviews, questions you will be asked, and how to handle the tough questions (as well as what NOT to say).

The book is set up in a light-hearted way, yet manages to make the gears start turning to connect the examples to stories in your life experiences.
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
As someone who interviews many people each week for technical positions, I would not recommend this book. I want to see how people will react to challenges and learn that best from having people go through their previous projects and see how they did react to challenges, not by listening to canned answers.
Was helpful in getting me prepared for the many interviews I hope to be going on very soon. I had checked this book out from the library, but I am actually thinking of buying it to have as a resource. It was a quick read and had good information.
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed each question and answer twice the night before an interview and it really helped. The idea isn't to memorize the answers, but rather to have a starting point for answering the questions in your own way when actually on an interview.
John Velez
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Most of the contents of this book is generally common sense. It is good for those people that have not actually been on many job interviews. But for those that have been on several interviews, this book is just a refresher!
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not find this book helpful for interviewing. I believe this is due in large part, to the fact that it seems geared to another field of work. Most of the sections do not apply to the library field. If you are in the business field, perhaps you will have better luck with this book.
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Manual by: Renee
Shelves: non-fiction
Too american, doesn't suit the New Zealand interview context. Has some helpful pointers and some good ideas but is too focused on managerial type positions to be useful for those seeking a job outside of commerce.
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of questions they really ask you. Get this book before an interview & use it to help you prepare.
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Concise common sense. Don't waste your time, it didn't help me!
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read full of sage advice.
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good books with Great interview questions.
  • Knock 'em Dead Cover Letters: Features the Latest Information on: Online Postings, Email Techniques, and Follow-up Strategies
  • The 250 Job Interview Questions: You'll Most Likely Be Asked...and the Answers That Will Get You Hired!
  • Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
  • 60 Seconds and You're Hired!
  • 100 Ways to Motivate Others: How Great Leaders Can Produce Insane Results Without Driving People Crazy
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • The Moral Sense
  • Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World
  • Alexander the Great and His Time (Dorset Oress Reprints Series)
  • Natural Selections: Selfish Altruists, Honest Liars, and Other Realities of Evolution
  • Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • 101 Tough Conversations to Have with Employees: A Manager's Guide to Addressing Performance, Conduct, and Discipline Challenges
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ron Fry is a nationally known proponent for the improvement of public education and an advocate for parents and students, playing an active role in strengthening personal education programs. In addition to being the author of the best-selling How to Study series, which has sold more than 3,000,000 copies to date, Fry has written more than 30 other books in the areas of education and careers. He is ...more
More about Ron Fry...