Start by marking “Tilly Trotter (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tilly Trotter (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #1)

Tilly Trotter (The Tiller Trotter Trilogy #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,220 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Tilly Trotter isn't like the other girls in the villages of County Durham. Tall and coltish, she's not afraid of taking on 'man's work' to help out the grandparents who raised her. There's an unusual beauty to her too - a beauty that's envied by the local women and lusted after by the men.

But for all the attention Tilly only loves one man, farmer Simon Bentwood, and she's
Published November 11th 2007 by Headline Publishing Group (first published 1980)

Tara Chevrestt
Sep 17, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was amazing
Wow! I can certainly see why this became a mini series. I have just completed the first novel in the Tilly Trotter series and I am hooked. This novel takes readers back to the early days of Queen Victoria's reign, when beyond the glittery scenery of court, miners and farmers ran the land. Tilly Trotter is a young girl that has been raised by her grandparents. Due to a long ago scandal involving some missing money, that had nothing to do with her, some beligerent town folk brand Tilly a witch. Wh ...more
May 06, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Wanda, Misfit, Karla, CLM
This is the first book of the Tilly Trotter tetralogy.

In this book, the author describes the tough life of a young woman who was raised by her grandparents and struggles to survive after their death.

She became a governess of Mark Sopwith's children but she looses her job quite soon.

In order to survive, she accepts to live with the Drews and start to work in a mining filed which belongs to her old master.

Due a collapse in his mining, Mark and Tilly will have their destiny changed forever.

To worse
Katie Q
Jan 04, 2011 Katie Q rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
Well I am "reading" this as an audio book. So far very good. I love audio books that are easy to listen to when doing mundane or non brain drain jobs.

Catherine Cookson does a good yarn and is always easy. Will update review when finished. :)
Julie
Oct 11, 2014 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ok
Nicole Silver
Nov 12, 2015 Nicole Silver rated it it was amazing
was pretty good, I love books on the old days, poor to rich stories.
Krithika
Feb 17, 2017 Krithika rated it did not like it
Review of Tilly Trotter : https://mortalminded.com/2017/02/04/t...
Amanda
Feb 17, 2017 Amanda rated it liked it
65% interesting, 35% cheesy. I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure I'm going to read the rest of the trilogy.
Shannon
Nov 05, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
I won't deny these books are formulaic, with many one dimensional and stereotypical characterizations. That's why it lost two stars.

I also won't deny that I've read and re-read this series, and they stand as some of Catherine Cookson's best works, in my opinion.

If you want an afternoon of switching off the brain, going someplace else and learning a bit about another place and time - go for it.

I have a degree in English Literature and recognize that this, like any other work, has it's place. Th
Emma Wharram
Jun 11, 2014 Emma Wharram rated it it was amazing
This is Catherine Cookson at its best. Tilly is a 15 year old orphan at the beginning of the story. She is living with her grandparents and in love with her farmer neighbour yet unaware of the secret that binds him to her family. But as Tilly begins her journey of self awareness, she comes up against prejudice, fear and lust but as she battles against all those who wish her and her family harm, disaster and the poverty she was born into. she draws on her inner strength to rise against it all tim ...more
B. M. Smith
Oct 01, 2014 B. M. Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TILLY TROTTER, CATHERINE COOKSON

Catherine Cookson is not for the faint of heart. This is not one of the gory, bloody thrillers you find in the best seller rack at the local store, but some of the finest historical literature that I have read. You will find raw 1840 England, along with coal mines with the filth and coal dust clogging your throat. You will find what the upper class call crawlers, Gentry who is diabolical, lusty and heartless, but most important, you might see that whether mankind
Emma
Jun 09, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
I have always been a big fan of Catherine Cookson, I just love boks from this era that she writes about. Her characters are always so meaty, and well developed. Tilly trotter had me as captive as the other people in her story. you grow along tillys trials and tribulations through her life wanting to yell do this or dont do that.
Claire Kirtley
Nov 23, 2015 Claire Kirtley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant I enjoyed reading about tillly trotter and her fabulous adventure through life after a really tough beginning

I really enjoyed reading about Tilley Trotter and her fabulous adventure through life. After having a very hard beginning in life to the amazing thing she went through ending happily. Amazing!!!!
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Jessica Elerick
Jan 05, 2015 Jessica Elerick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Catherine Cookson, She really brings to life the hardships and horrors of children, women and men working in the coal mines of Victorian England and the abuses and horrifying working conditions they had to endure. Love triumphs, then tragedy strikes again. Wonderful author, wonderful books.
Susan
Jun 22, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
As in most of Cookson's books she writes with strong female characters overcoming some miserable circumstance or misfortune. I also love the English accents given her characters. If you like books set in old England and well developed characters, you will enjoy books by Catherine Cookson!
Deborah
Jun 27, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
This i think is my fave Catherine cookson story
Mercy
Feb 19, 2011 Mercy added it
One of my favorite series, she is an amazing author.
Susanna
Nov 20, 2012 Susanna rated it liked it
This book made me fall in love with the name Tilly.
Angela
Oct 12, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
eesti keeles
Julie Jackson
Apr 06, 2016 Julie Jackson rated it really liked it
Back in the days of coal mines and manor houses, the tale of a young woman making her way without family support.
Mandy Downie
Aug 18, 2012 Mandy Downie rated it it was amazing
Loved this series.
Diane
Jul 22, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
This was the very first Cookson book i read,i was hooked from then on.
Lynn Smith
Marvellous story, involving characters could not put it down at the time. Loved the character of Tilly.
Cindy Van de velde
Jun 09, 2014 Cindy Van de velde rated it it was amazing
I read and own all books from her, can't get enough off her
Margareth8537
Jan 29, 2014 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cookson writes about strong northern women and describes a way of life that would have broken most.
Evonne
Dec 02, 2015 Evonne rated it it was amazing
I love Catherine Cookson.
Veronica Harris
Jan 23, 2016 Veronica Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(B)
1st of trilogy--Tilly Trotter
Nicole O'Connor
May 23, 2016 Nicole O'Connor rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I read this years ago. I liked her writing then, but not sure if I could read too much of it now. However, this was a particularly good story.
Sue Del.
Sue Del. rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
  • Jinnie
  • Dynasty of Death (Barbours/Bouchards, #1)
  • The Bible—God’s Word or Man’s?
  • Water Gypsies
  • Shadows Over Stonewycke (The Stonewycke Legacy, #2)
  • Banners of Silk
  • The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2)
  • What Happened to the Corbetts
  • Foxfire
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • Charming the Duke
  • Dark Fires (Brandon-Morgan #2)
  • The Homecoming (Suffolk, #2)
  • Angélique à Québec (Angelique: Original version #11)
  • Tanamera
  • A Rose for Lancaster
  • The Wild Island (Jemima Shore, #2)
  • The Green Witch Herbal: Restoring Nature's Magic in Home, Health, and Beauty Care
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...

The Tiller Trotter Trilogy (3 books)
  • Tilly Trotter Wed (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #2)
  • Tilly Trotter Widowed (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #3)