Start by marking “Pure As The Lily” as Want to Read:
Pure As The Lily

Catherine Cookson

Pure As The Lily

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Mary Walton was the apple of her da's eye. For long now he had been out of work, and Mary was his only comfort during those dark years of the Depression, when unemployment and a nagging, ambitious wife gnawed away at his self-respect. Once he was a man who had held his head high with Geordie pride; now his only hope was that Mary would escape from the grinding poverty of t ...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Corgi (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Pure As The Lily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure As The Lily

Tara Chevrestt
This started out as a five star book, focusing on a teenage girl named Mary in 1930s England. Mary has an incredibly controlling, domineering mother, a frightened wimp of a brother, and a father that doesn't seem to know what to do with himself. The drama and scandal enfolds with Mary getting pregnant by a man old enough to be her dad. This has serious repurcussions as her dad in a fit of anger attacks Mary's lover and future husband. A bout in jail leaves him even worse off and causes Mary's mo ...more
Brenda
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Catherine Cookson. One heck of a story.
Sandra
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This delightful book covers a number of generations starting with Alice and Alec and their two children, Mary and Jimmy with Mary being "the apple of her father's eye" and Jimmy being his mother's.
The book is written three books within one. The first book deals mainly with the first Walton generation, the second book going on into Mary and Jimmy's adult life and their children and Book three dealing with the lives of two of the children produced from Mary and Jimmy (Ben and Patricia) and their
Fred Ann
A wonderful family read. the strength of family and love is all ia well as ends well. Mary had dedicated her life to those she loved, not seeking for herself. When Mary is finally on her own unencumbered with the responsibility of family; an old love returns seeking her out..... and a happily ever after theme triumphs
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Liz Gibbs
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book felt real to me, like it didn't conform to the current set of standards used in writing, but that may be because it was published in 1973. I found myself loving the characters, being excited as they found joy and happiness, and aching with them as they went through terrible sorrow.

Note: The use of God's name in vain is the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me.
angelrits
This is my first Catherine Cookson book.
The storyline is heartbreaking and kind of realistic. I like wartime stories and this is what has particularly appealed to me in the book. However, not that much has been said about the war itself...
Gena Lott
Cookson's books are so well researched and I love her characterizations and description. She often writes about down-and-outers, but shows how they can change their approach to life. She is also a very spiritual writer, even though the words may not reflect religion specifically.
Gätlin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ta oli leebe ja lihtne, aga tark. Mõned inimesed ei taipa lihtsusest ja sõbralikkusest ja leebusest midagi, nad peavad seda pehmuseks ja rumaluseks, nad arvavad, et sul peavad kurvid logisema, kui sa neid vastu ei ründa. " (lk 252)
Joan Hill
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this book
2015 Reading Chal...: Pure as the Lily by Catherine Cookson 1 12 Jan 07, 2015 02:13PM
  • Salem Street (Gibson Family Saga, #1)
  • Water Gypsies
  • Liverpool Annie
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • Upstairs Downstairs
  • Empty World
  • Follow the Wind (Spanish Bit Saga, #3)
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • No Strings Attached (www.girl-gear... #2)
  • The Lynmara Legacy
  • Fairoaks
  • Joy Street
  • The Millionaire's Daughter
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul
  • Magicians of Gor (Gor, #25)
  • In the Name of Friendship
  • Her Best Friend's Baby (Maitland Maternity, #9)
  • Through My Eyes
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...