Start by marking “The Promise Girls” as Want to Read:

The Promise Girls

In an emotionally rich and captivating new novel, New York Times bestselling author Marie Bostwick reunites three sisters whose deep bond is rooted in an unconventional past.

Every child prodigy grows up eventually. For the Promise sisters, escaping their mother's narcissism and the notoriety that came with her bestselling book hasn't been easy. Minerva Promise claimed tha
Published March 28th 2017 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Three weeks into the book tour, Joanie still isn't used to the silence of television studios, ponderous silence that feels like being closed in a concrete box with wall so thick no noise from the outside world can penetrate, just as no sound emanating inside can escape. Joanie can scream as loud as she wants and no one will hear her.

Joanie, Meg, and Avery, and their mother sit in upholstered side chairs, like the ones you see in the waiting rooms of doctors offices, motionless, waiting
Susan
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Marie Bostwick

Received from Netgalley

Oh how I loved THE PROMISE GIRLS! Meg, Joanie, and Avery are sisters who were test tube babies and raised by their single mother. Minerva, their mother, wrote a book about them and how they are child protégés. Joanie, who plays the piano, decides one day, to defy her mother and totally messes up her piano recital during a nationally televised show. Now their lives will never be the same. Minerva smacks Joanie right on TV and starts screaming
Anna
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karen Kay
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

The Promise sisters are test tube babies whose father (s) are chosen for their artistic talent. Joanie is a pianist, Meg an artist and Avery a wordsmith. When their mother has a public meltdown on TV, their lives are forever altered. Twenty years later, each of the sisters come to grips with their childhood and their self-absorbed selfish mother.

Easy and comfortable rainy day read, the story was okay with a typical path and a feel
Cathy Geha
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Promise Girls by Marie Bostwick

Child prodigies crafted in the womb for greatness, promised success, prodded by their mother...perfectly planned…then…everything changed when one of the Promise girls decided to be not so perfect on live TV. Twenty years later the story picks up to tell us what the Promise sisters are up to and how they are getting along. One is married, one is a single parent and the third is a mermaid. All have issues to deal with from their childhood. None of them are doing
Jeanne Adamek
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new book from Marie Bostwick has never dissapointed me... including this novel. I did not read it as much as I seemed to absorb the story. I could see the characters in my minds-eye and was able to watch their lives as I might have been watching a film. The author writes descriptions of locataion and characters so well I zipped through the book feeling afterwards as if I took a trip to Seattle and while there, made new friends.

A quote actually sums up my experience: "People want to believe in
Tricia Sanders
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book title on a list (somewhere?) of books to be read this summer....i liked it! The story line and characters were interesting and it was an enjoyable quick read...

Every child prodigy grows up eventually. For the Promise sisters, escaping their mother’s narcissism and the notoriety that came with her bestselling book hasn’t been easy. Minerva Promise claimed that her three “test tube” daughters—gifted pianist Joanie, artistic Meg, and storyteller Avery—were engineered and molded to
Amy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Promise Girls is quite an emotional read. I enjoyed the three sisters' stories. The turmoil their mother put them through can be relatable for many. The only complaint I have is I would've like to see more about the sisters individually. Overall, a pretty good read.
4 stars
Tracie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
It started out really well, but by the middle I was frustrated and bored, and by the end I was rolling my eyes so hard I think I pulled a muscle. Yecch.
Jeanie
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The music filled every part of her, flooding into her empty spaces, salving the aches she had ignored for so long that aching that begun to feel like her natural state. It was not. She was not meant to live simply to endure, but to thrive, to create, and in doing so reflect the glory of creation itself, and the Creator who had fashioned her for this purpose.

Sometimes you get in your hand a book that you don't want to end. You love the characters, the plot and you know that there is more...so mu
Ema
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of heart and a lot of spunk and really drew me in.

I envisioned this to be a simple but unspectacular read and was surprised by how deeply I felt towards the characters and the extent to which they enveloped me.

The plot contained a little bit of a mystery, some strings that hadn't previously been pulled together that eventually came out in a very satisfying way. This increased my intrigue while reading and really kept my interest peaked.

Meg suffers from memory loss in her c
Robin
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A feel good tale about sisters. Nothing too dramatic - an easy read.
Kathy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise Girls by Marie Bostwick is an uplifting book of healing and forgiveness.

The Promise girls are three daughters of a domineering mother, Minerva, who pushed the girls to reach-and exceed-their artist potential. Oldest daughter Joanie was a piano playing child prodigy who deliberately sabotaged Minerva's publicity tour during their appearance on a talk show. Now twenty years later, the sisters are closer than ever but other than youngest sister, Avery, they remain estranged from their m
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of The Promise Girls by Marie Bostwick that I read and reviewed.
This book was just okay for me. I really could not get into the way the story was being told or connect that well with the three Promise sisters. For me things just seemed to drag on a bit too long and I never felt like I was part of the book.
I am giving The Promise Girls three out of five stars.
Vernice
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC generously provided by the publishers and Netgalley for an honest review

I really enjoyed this book! Sure it was unnecessarily "mysterious" and some of the plot points could be spotted a mile away, but there's no denying the Marie Bostwick is a good storyteller... just like my favorite character in this book happens to be!

The Promise girls are three sisters. Joanie is your stereotypical bossy and mothering oldest sister, Meg is the unfortunate middle child who gets her head cracked open, and
Marcee Feddersen
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
So coming off The Roanoke Girls, I was ready for a lighter sister read. The Promise Sisters wasn't an easy, breezy read, but it wasn't completely dark.

Minerva Promise was raising three test tube babies into being prodigies of the arts, and making her living writing a book about it. On the day that they have their debut on a major talk show, Joanie decides to make a break for freedom and flub her music performance, earning her a face slap on national TV.

Ch
Rachel
I love Marie Bostwick's books. I have read every single one of them and love being able to read her books from the beginning. It's like traveling through life with one of your favorite authors and seeing how much she has grown. I am really glad that she has branched out into writing about different women, not just about women who quilt. (I love her Cobblestone series, mind you.)

I absolutely love the Second Sister, which is the book before this one. Out of all of her novels, that one is my favori
Amie's Book Reviews
Joanie and her little sisters Meg and Avery were paraded across the United States in the 80s as children who were supposedly prodigies.

Their mother, Minerva Promise, had designer engineered them in the UK as test-tube babies before the technology was even available in the United States. A few years later, Minerva then wrote and released a book called THE PROMISE GIRLS, which trumpeted the fact that she was the  mother of three artistic prodigies. Minerva's book argued that nature and nurture bo
Jeanie
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read about 3 sisters whose mother tried manipulate their futures from the time they were born; one a pianist, one a writer and one an artist. The ins and outs of how her plans did and didn't work the way she planned and the effects it had on their family relationships.
Deanna Walker
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, netgalley
I absolutely loved this amazing book ever! It is a beautiful cover and beautifully written. Marie Bostwick, you nailed it in this best book ever!!!

The Promise Girls is all about how lives turned out to be..

Joanie is a single mother to her son Walt who turned 17 years old, handsome and a mountain man. She wanted to keep a secret for a long time when she and Asher are friends but became pregnant with son Walt. She was a painst player.

Meg is with her husband Asher and her teen Daughter Trina. Meg g
Tara
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I let the sink overflow, I burnt dinner and I stayed up way too late several nights in a row while reading The Promise Girls by Marie Bostwick – and it was all worth it.
This rich tale by the New York Times bestselling author has many twists and turns – most of them unexpected – to keep the reader captivated.
It is also written with such warmth and colour that it almost feels like you’re part of it.
I’m fascinated by the question of ‘what next?’ for child prodigies. It certainly can’t be an easy ro
Barb
Joanie, Meg and Avery were genetically engineered to be prodigies, each in a different area -- music, art and writing -- while their mother thrived on the attention paid to her because of a book about the girls. Joanie, the oldest, defies Minerva during a nationally broadcast talk show, and their lives change forever. Fast forward twenty years, where the girls have no contact with their mother, little contact with each other, and are being hounded by a producer who wants to make a documentary ab ...more
Jamie Holzberg / Fluff Smut & Murder

Thank you to NetGallery.com and the publisher for the opportunity to read an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for my honest opinions.

As a stand alone book, The Promise Girls is just okay. If it will develop into a series where we have the opportunity to get to know these ladies on a deeper level – there is a strong potential for it to develop over time and become a heart warming series, but I don’t think that is going to happen. The story is too neatly wrapped up in the climax which is a disappo
Vanessa
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Absolutely loved this book. Marie just has a way of telling a story that you can fall into. The story is about 3 sisters, they are born to a mother who is controlling their future lives before they were born. A pianist, and artist and a writer, that is what she has tried to create from her IVF babies.
But it all crashes down when the oldest Joanie, strikes out in defiance whilst performing on a live talk show.
Move from their childhood to their adulthood and they are finding their way, without th
Sue Fernandez
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for an e-ARC of this title, in advance for an honest review. This was a wonderful book, and timely for today, with reality parents thinking they can make a buck off their children. The Promise Girls were born to be geniuses, with their mom telling the world she used in vitro to craft their talents. The girls all have different feelings about this, and now adults, they have their own struggles. The characters were well developed, and likeable, but with ...more
Mary
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from Net Galley and the publisher for an honest review.

I have been a long time reader of Marie Bostwick's books and I was excited to read her newest addition. This book did not disappoint. I read a lot of women's fiction and after awhile some of the stories can get stale or repetitive. That is definitely not the case with this book!

The characters were very well written and likeable. I found the Promise sisters' story interesting and unique and I loved that there wa
Ann
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three sisters, subject of a book pushing genius children in the arts are now adults with lots of problems. This is a wonderful story of family. The ladies live in the Pacific Northwest and are close friends, all estranged from their mother. When a film maker wants to do a documentary on where are they now they reluctantly agree because of high medical bills. This is a beautiful story with several twist and turns that will surprise you. Not your typical family saga, it's better.
Amy Skinner
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was the jam! I loved the themes of sisterhood and creativity that guide the storyline and by the end, each character felt like a dear friend. The plot twists kept things exciting. I couldn't put this book down. I hope they make a movie out of it.
Ellen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this story of three sisters, Joanie, Meg and Avery, and promoted as prodigies by their mother. Twenty years later, we follow the sisters as their secrets, hopes and artistic tendencies are reawakened. A bit unrealistic at times, but an optimistic read.
Chris Conley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an incredible family.
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Oregon and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
“She was not meant to live simply to endure, but to thrive, to create, and in doing so reflect the glory of creation itself, and the Creator who had fashioned her for this purpose. Before” 0 likes