Start by marking “Twenty-six Princesses: An Alphabet Story” as Want to Read:
Twenty-six Princesses: An Alphabet Story

Twenty-six Princesses: An Alphabet Story

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
His Highness the Prince may be a frog, but that’s not going to stop these lively girls from attending his ball. Starting with Princess Alice, the twentysix princesses—each with personality to spare—head to the palace, eager to make his acquaintance. But with Princess Jane being a pain, Princess Kay losing her way, and Princess Betty still getting ready, they’ll be lucky if ...more
Published March 27th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Twenty-six Princesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty-six Princesses

Jacqueline
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: class-reading
I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. The illustrations had me giggling (especially when I got to Princess Nell). I happen to know that kids will get a kick out of this alphabet book, because I did quite literally laugh out loud more than once as I read about these crazy princesses.
Tricia
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
An alphabet concept book totally directed to the girl set...this book offers up a princess for each letter of the alphabet. Great to see feminine roles blown out of the water with some non-traditional princesses. My girls loved it.
Paul  Hankins
Too much fun. Each letter introduces another princess. Don't miss our good friend, Princess Nell. . .(wink).
Luisa Knight
It was okay. Focuses a little more on princesses being a royal pain and their lesser qualities than the good ones, and is probably supposed to be more comical than serious.

Ages: 4 - 7

Cleanliness: one princess passes gas. Someone is called a "ninny." Playing poker is shown.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloada
Erik
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
Some of the rhymes work better than others, but overall a fun way to go through the alphabet.There are some clever, quirky, and not-so-princessy princesses in here.
Eme87
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Very funny and a cute take on an alphabet book.
Veronica
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Melissa
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Genre: Concept book

Review: Children's Literature - Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz
Twenty-six princesses go to meet the frog prince in his palace; thus, Horowitz can show a different princess and pithy rhyme for each letter of the alphabet. From "Princess Alice, First to the palace," through "Princess Flo, Waiting to go" and "Princess Grace, Making a face" all the way to "Princess Zaire. Finally there," each has a distinct personality and story. Then, "Put them all together and what do you get? A
Sandy
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You have to love princesses with their unique characteristics and style and this book takes them to a whole new level. The illustrations will make you smile as not all these princesses are fancy and prestigious as princesses are usually portrayed but some of them are shown in their every day natures. Introducing “Princess Elle. Starting to yell.” and “Princess Grace. Making a face.", and we can’t leave out the princess who forgot her umbrella or the princess who ate too much candy. Yes, there ar ...more
Layla & Rachel
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
We were left unimpressed by Dave Horowitz's Twenty-six Princesses: An Alphabet Story. The book names a different princesses whose name begins with each letter of the alphabet and then has short sentence describing that princess which kinda sorta maybe rhymes. Example:

Princess Isabella. Has no umbrella.
Princess Olga. Dancing the polka.

We guess they kinda sorta maybe rhyme. Maybe. We suppose. The sentences are short and choppy, making it an awkward read-aloud. The pictures aren't great either. Th
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, rhyming
I saw this book on display at our local library and thought it would be a fun book. But I hesitated as it was obviously an alphabet book and I figured our girls would consider it too baby-ish for them. Much to my surprise, our oldest picked it up on her own at the library and read it right there on the floor. Then she insisted on checking it out and reading it aloud to us in the car. I thought the rhyming narrative was entertaining and as I perused the illustrations today, I thought it was a ver ...more
Corin
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edsl-520
Genre: ABC Books
This alphabet book features rhyming text and 26 silly princesses on their way to the castle. Kids can relate to the fairy-tale theme of the story and giggle on this alphabet adventure.
Themes: Alphabet, fairy tales, rhyming text
Ways to Use: This book is a fun read-aloud. Kids can give a "thumbs-up" when they hear rhyming words. During their independent re-reads, students can find the letters on the princess written in many different fonts.
The Library Lady
This is not a "pretty pretty princess" book. The princesses here range from the feisty to the camera shy ("Princess Lori, not in this story") to our household favorite: "Princess Nell--what's the smell?" with Nell looking innocent as there's an audible "toot"! Action filled pictures--watch for the frog prince on many of the pages add to the fun. A winner with my princess loving 8 year old and with all the other little princess loving girls--and a nice antidote to all the Disney slop!
Jen
Aug 05, 2011 added it
This book is really cute. My daughter loves it and I have a great time reading it to her. The lines are short and simple, easy for her to remember and follow along with. The illustratons are wonderful and easy to relate to. I would definitely recommend reading it to your own little princess at home.
Shelby Usrey
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
For each letter of the alphabet there is a princess named by the first letter! It's a very creative idea to introduce the alphabet to children! With each princess with a different name has a sentence that rhymes with their name! It could be considered poetry! This book could be used in many different ways in the classroom!
Molly
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a funny, princess-y, alphabet book. Little princesses will enjoy it, and parents will appreciate the subtle rhymes. I gave it three stars, because I don't think its that great of an alphabet book. The letters themselves are often small, an unusual font, or hard to find. So, read this one for the rhymes and pictures, not to learn your letters.

Karen
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library today. He still loves his alphabet books.

I loved this book because these were not dainty, fragile, oh-rescue-me princesses. These princesses could hold their own and then some.

The idea of this book was great, and most of the rhyming couplets worked really well.
Jessica RiffeKincaid
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My 6 yr old daughter loved this book! On each page in alphabetical order was the name and introduction of a new princess with its own individual little rhyme. It was a quick and easy read with cute little sayings that rhymed. We both really enjoyed this book.
Carol Waters
Every one of them was a pain? Well, if that isn't something to look forward to. the frog rejects all 26 of them. Get prepared for rejection early.

Rhymes were fun. Wish one woman in 26 could have been.
Marfita
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, children-s
Soooo cute! Must find a way to add it to this summer's storytimes. It's not an instructive alphabet book, but a book of rhyme and terrific illustrations featuring the 26 titular princesses and as many beleaguered frogs. A must-share!
Kendra
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Really like that the princesses are diverse and not all dainty. Some of the rhymes are a little unnatural. Zaire for instance had to be pronounced differently than I would at first in order for the rhyme to work. But it's pretty amazing to come up with 26 different names that also allow a rhyme!
Marilea Blair
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-4050-12
I thought this book was really cute for girls that were working on the alphabet of rhyming words but no so much for boys. Having a name for each letter then a word that rhymes with that name is a really good idea.
Mary
The Frog Prince is hosting a party and twenty-six princesses (one for each letter of the alphabet) show up. A good-humored rhyming picture book that will be especially appreciated by fractured fairytale fans.
Pauline
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not only does this book teach the basic concepts of the alphabet, it also dispels the myth that a 'princess' must be prim and proper. The diversity among the girls in the book is awesome - both culturally, ability-wise, and interest-wise.
Cana
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mommy says: A quick read. Horowitz bombs through the letters of the alphabet with princesses in a quirky and funny way. We enjoyed reading it and laughing at the pictures. A small tidbit of bathroom humor lurks within the pages. If you are prissy, forgo this book.
Debrarian
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Princess Dot. A lady she's not. Princess Elle. Starting to yell. Princess Lori. Not in this story. Princess Mandy. Ate too much candy... The pictures add twists to the text and the whole thing is very fun. All together they make "A royal pain in the alphabet!"
John
Apr 21, 2009 added it
Great for a girl, or a storytime.
David
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for humor.

This is a very cute way to engage little girls in learning the alphabet. The pictures are adorable.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet, princesses
An alphabet book with each letter represented by a princess. It's okay, nothing new or inventive.

Illustrations are okay.
Corinne
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun book with twenty-six princesses whose names are listed alphabetically with cute rhyming actions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Ten Big Toes and a Prince's Nose
  • The Handmade Alphabet
  • Roar of a Snore
  • Castles, Caves, and Honeycombs
My name is dave horowitz. I grew up in Smithtown, New York in the 1970s. Instead of paying attention in school I drew pictures of my teachers. Then I went to a famous art college in Rhode Island and studied coloring.

In 1992 I graduated and went to Oregon to play drums and drink coffee. Then I moved to New York City and worked next door to the Twin Towers. Then I learned how to climb rocks and got
More about Dave Horowitz